Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,041 members, 7,821,585 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:21 PM

Are These The Symptoms Of Pneumonia ? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Are These The Symptoms Of Pneumonia ? (1255 Views)

Coronavirus: Lady Who Tested Positive Shares The Symptoms She Experienced / Pneumonia If Untreated Can Cause Serious Health Problems / I Slept With 180 Prostitutes In 4 Years: Are These Signs & Symptoms Of HIV? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are These The Symptoms Of Pneumonia ? by Sikay19(m): 6:39pm On May 06, 2020
Hello H'landers, I need your medical advice. It has been a while that i started feeling sharp chest pain with no other health issues. The pain comes and goes seldomly. But recently i started coughing with phlegm coming out and other time it could be dry cough. The serious part of this is that everytime i cough i feel chest pain and even when i lie on my chest or try to sit up. I have tried taking warm water though it suppresses the pain initially but it keeps persisting. Even then i went to UCH last year where i was asked to undergo EGC test which i did though i was tested okay and i took some drugs which were prescribed for me but then i am not okay.
Kindly advise me, What do i do ?
Pardon my blunders please
Lalasticlala
Re: Are These The Symptoms Of Pneumonia ? by Tissaia(f): 6:41pm On May 06, 2020
Coro
Re: Are These The Symptoms Of Pneumonia ? by OloriOfMontreal: 6:44pm On May 06, 2020
There are several issues that could cause the symptoms you've mentioned. Most of which are benign but still worth checking out. Like they say: "Better safe than sorry".

I'll share my story shortly (precisely in an hour) Update below:

Sikay19:
Hello H'landers, I need your medical advice. It has been a while that i started feeling sharp chest pain with no other health issues. The pain comes and goes seldomly. But recently i started coughing with phlegm coming out and other time it could be dry cough. The serious part of this is that everytime i cough i feel chest pain and even when i lie on my chest or try to sit up. I have tried taking warm water though it suppresses the pain initially but it keeps persisting. Even then i went to UCH last year where i was asked to undergo EGC test which i did though i was tested okay and i took some drugs which were prescribed for me but then i am not okay.
Lalasticlala

Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor, and only sharing my personal experience. Please do make sure to consult a health practitioner before taking any medication. I am also NOT selling any medication!!!

Warning: lengthy post ahead. Head to the summary if you can't read all.

Sometimes in 2018 I experienced similar chest pain. Mine was mostly on the left side, more like a pinch in my rib cage. It comes once in a while but I never thought it to be anything. (And thankfully it didn't become a thing). Fast forward to 2019, I started having palpitations (mostly feeling my heart beat in my neck, and stomach, with muscle pain. Went to the ER and long story short, I did lots of blood work, scan, and xrays but nothing was found. In fact the doctors were impressed with the results and said I was a healthy baby grin. The "only" deficiency found was that I was very low in Vitamin D. I was at 13ng/mL, note that less than 30 is deficient. (You'll wonder what has being low in Vitamin D got to do with this? Alot!)

Just like you I did an Electrocardiogram and it came back normal. Not knowing what was going on made me so anxious that my body starting showing symptoms that weren't there (blurry vision, neck pain, bone pain etc). Apparently when anxious, your body goes into a fight or flight mode, which causes your body to release an hormone called "cortisol" AKA stress hormone. These stress hormones in your blood stream causes you to exhibit some symptoms (these symptoms can sometimes take on the pattern of what you fear most) and it becomes a cycle. They didn't mean to cause any harm, and only trying to protect your body from threats. (only that it becomes a "false positive" alarm)

After all my test results came back as optimal, I started taking Vitamin D (2000UI per day) from June till November last year. 3 to 4 weeks after I started taking this, the symptoms began to subside. When I retested for my vitamin level in November, it was back to normal above 40. Now I take 1000IU a day to attain optimal level. And I also take a couple of other vitamins. (I've been doing this before anyways) Note that for over 9 months now I no longer feel the rib/chest pain.

Okay I'm talking too much angry

To my reason for writing this as to whether its pneumonia or not.

Here's where I'm going with this. In december 2019, I caught the Flu. (Cough, fever, body pain, weakness etc) (for the 2nd time since 2016). Within the space of 3 days, the flu had resulted into a pneumonia, and I didn't know. I rested at home for 2 days, on the 3rd day I thought I was feeling better so I went to work, and I started having severe neck pain. For someone who know what it is to have meningitis, I ran to the ER that evening waiting for the doctors to examine me and confirm if I had meningitis. I will forever be grateful to God that I took that step to go to the ER when I did.

On getting there, I was found to have 40 degrees Celsius (high fever),- immediately one of the nurses had to give me 3 500mg of Tylenol to bring down the fever before I can see the doctor. Doctor came in and said he wants to do an X-ray of my lungs, I was like why na, I am majorly here for my neck, I know this is a flu and a flu is a virus so it means it has to run its cause. You can only manage it, not cure. He insisted and beholdthe X-ray revealed that I had a leftside pleural effusion.

Note and Note again, that I did not have any shortness of breath, no difficulty breathing, no chest pain, even the mucus or phlegm I produced (before taking antibiotics) didn't have the colors we are told to look out for. So here I am with an infection I've never had and always dread, yet I didn't feel a bit of its symptoms. Symptoms differ from person to person and the fact that ones symptoms doesn't tick all the checklist doesn't mean all is well. These checklist are baseline to guide not diagnose. Also the fact that one presents with all the symptoms doesn't mean one has pneumonia. There are 1001 things that mimics similar symptoms when it comes to how the body functions and react.

The doctor prescribed antibiotics for me, as someone who hasn't taken antibiotics in 10 years, I hallucinated for 2 days because it was really strong before my family doctor prescribed a new one for me.
In less than 5 days, the cough subsided, I was getting back to normal, my immune system was fighting it out. This was a viral pneumonia, so when I asked my doctor why I was given antibiotics, he said some viral pneumonia results into bacterial infection, (cos its an effusion right?) so it was better to err on the side of caution. (like they say). I went back after a month for another X-ray and it was all clear and gone.

Thankfully my Vitamin D level was back to normal before this happened, I cant imagine what the stories would have been. cry cry The immune system is not something that you just fuel today and gbam it starts working. It needs constant fueling (such as having good vitamin levels) to ensure it's always active in case there are things that hits suddenly like this.

Summary (in case people are unable to ready the diary above):
1. Go for check up, and push for testing of your vitamin levels. A lot of us dont know the benefits of what these vitamins do to our body. With my experience last year, some doctors dont believe its necessary to check for them. Thankful for my family doctor and another GP who pushed to have them checked. Also dont say because you already went for check up last year, then maybe there's no need to check again. At times, things get missed, and this is not to scare you, but its better to be safe. Also at times, the changes in our body dont reflect even in test until after some certain times.
Also if some of these symptoms you mentioned just started all of a sudden, then I will recommend you isolate while also making the attempt to go for check up. I'm not saying you have Covid.
2. Drink a lot of water. I cant even overemphasize this. Water is good. There are many toxic/waste products that water can get rid of in our body. We dont even need some medication to do the job.
3. Try to steam. This helped me a lot. For a whole week I was steaming and the different was clear like 7UP. wink
4. Exercise, eat lots of fruits and veggies.
5. And sleep well. Please sleep WELL. There's a difference between sleeping for 10hrs (with an un-rested mind) and sleep for 6hrs with a well-rested mind) - I'll choose the latter. But I know the situation in Naija can be heart wrenching, but wetin we go do. E go better. smiley I've also not been sleeping as well as I used to when I had the health crises but I'm constantly reminding myself of how important it is that I sleep so that I don't go back into that circle of health challenges.
6. Finally, if you are a believer, PRAY. Prayer works, and I am not even joking. I am an evidence that the word of God is Alive and working!

Again, there are lots of things that could be causing this that are benign, its not a death sentence, and dont be afraid to go check it out. That will calm your fears and anxiety (if any)

Let me drop my pen in the basket of diary cheesy

Any questions for me?

3 Likes

Re: Are These The Symptoms Of Pneumonia ? by obinna58(m): 6:44pm On May 06, 2020
Sikay19:
Lalasticlala

This is no joke, amidst of this corona virus issues you develop a serious stage symptom, isolate yourself dude and call for help
Re: Are These The Symptoms Of Pneumonia ? by Sikay19(m): 7:22pm On May 06, 2020
OloriOfMontreal:
There are several issues that could cause the symptoms you've mentioned. Most of which are benign but still worth checking out. Like they say: "Better safe than sorry".

I'll share my story shortly (precisely in an hour)
Ok, I am waiting ma. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Are These The Symptoms Of Pneumonia ? by Sikay19(m): 7:27pm On May 06, 2020
obinna58:

This is no joke, amidst of this corona virus issues you develop a serious stage symptom, isolate yourself dude and call for help
Not true sir. I had related symptom earlier before the discovery of covid. So, It is not what you think it is.

1 Like

Re: Are These The Symptoms Of Pneumonia ? by obinna58(m): 8:18pm On May 06, 2020
Sikay19:

Not true sir. I had related symptom earlier before the discovery of covid. So, It is not what you think it is.
Lol, on a serious note isolate while checking up.
Fever
Fatigue
Cough
This symptoms are not joke currently
Re: Are These The Symptoms Of Pneumonia ? by Mizwisdom(f): 8:35pm On May 06, 2020
Sikay19:

Take hot baths, even when you're feeling hot don't bath with cold water, stop drinking cold water, don't sleep under fan and take hot drinks regularly. You will be fine
Re: Are These The Symptoms Of Pneumonia ? by showafrica(m): 8:52pm On May 06, 2020
obinna58:

U guys should read to understand... The thing started since last yr and u people are talking coro.

Op, look like the kind sickness wey dey chop money. I pray its not hole in the heart or TB. Different lab test and scan will give a clue
Re: Are These The Symptoms Of Pneumonia ? by Sikay19(m): 10:18pm On May 06, 2020
Mizwisdom:

Take hot baths, even when you're feeling hot don't bath with cold water, stop drinking cold water, don't sleep under fan and take hot drinks regularly. You will be fine
Thank you very much. I will take to these suggestions. I pray it works.
showafrica:

U guys should read to understand... The thing started since last yr and u people are talking coro.

Op, look like the kind sickness wey dey chop money. I pray its not hole in the heart or TB. Different lab test and scan will give a clue
Hmmm, what type of test do you suggest sir ?

1 Like

Re: Are These The Symptoms Of Pneumonia ? by OloriOfMontreal: 12:40am On May 07, 2020
Sikay19:

Ok, I am waiting ma. Thanks.

Apologies for the delay. I have now shared my story above. It's a bit lengthy, but hopefully you find sometime to read through.

Also, I know there are more knowledgeable people in that field on NL that can provide additional guidance. Hopefully they stumble on this post.

Take care and be well.
Re: Are These The Symptoms Of Pneumonia ? by Sikay19(m): 8:52am On May 07, 2020
OloriOfMontreal:
[quote author=OloriOfMontreal post=89270137]

Apologies for the delay. I have now shared my story above. It's a bit lengthy, but hopefully you find sometime to read through.

Also, I know there are more knowledgeable people in that field on NL that can provide additional guidance. Hopefully they stumble on this post.

Take care and be well.
First of all, I apologize for taking so long to respond as i just came online. And then i sincerely appreciate your effort to put this detailed narration down (not lengthy to me so long it is expository and helpful ) though. Yes, I have taken time to read this attentively. However, My own case is bit different because except for the internal chest pain and cough i am not experiencing any other health issues such as fever or related. So, as being advised I will visit the hospital for another series of test. I will update this thread and mention you as it goes. Thank you very much once again. May God bless you ma.

1 Like

Re: Are These The Symptoms Of Pneumonia ? by OloriOfMontreal: 9:01pm On May 07, 2020
Sikay19:
[/quote]

[quote author=Sikay19 post=89276864]

My pleasure. I'm glad you find the information helpful. No worries, sir.
God bless you too and kindly keep us posted. Take care and may God perfect all that concerns your health. Amen!

1 Like

Re: Are These The Symptoms Of Pneumonia ? by Orubebe01: 6:25am On Aug 19, 2020
Sikay19:
how is you health now, have u been able to get a cure
Re: Are These The Symptoms Of Pneumonia ? by Sikay19(m): 10:04am On Aug 19, 2020
Orubebe01:

how is you health now, have u been able to get a cure
Yes, I am better now sir. Surprisingly, I didn't take any drug. It just happened naturally. Thanks.
Re: Are These The Symptoms Of Pneumonia ? by 50qwarat: 10:37am On Aug 19, 2020
Similar issues here.. Chest pain, doctor said costobronchitis. But right now feels like my lungs reached it max whenever I tried breathing.. PS pneumonia came before the chest pain
Re: Are These The Symptoms Of Pneumonia ? by Orubebe01: 11:21am On Aug 19, 2020
Sikay19:

Yes, I am better now sir. Surprisingly, I didn't take any drug. It just happened naturally. Thanks.
good to hear that.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Stc 30 Saving Lives / Natural Way To CURE Diabetes and High Blood Pressure FOREVER / Help! I Mistakenly Took Antiretroviral Drugs For HIV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.