Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,327 members, 7,815,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

The Idoma - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Idoma (6235 Views)

Traditional Wedding Made In Idoma-land, Benue State, Central Nigeria / Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma / The Full Meaning Of The Idoma Name ---elahi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Idoma by mohadana: 5:09pm On Jun 08, 2007
Idoma
Population: 3,000,000

Language: Idoma (Idoma Cluster of Kwa)

Neighboring Peoples: Ibibio, Igbo, Mama, Mumuye

Types of Art:Idoma art in Western collections primarily consists of wooden masks which are used at funerals and for social control and of anthropomorphic wooden figures that may often be quite large.

History:Linguistic evidence suggests that the Idoma have lived in their present day region for at least four to five thousand years, and that they probably moved into the area from the north along with the forbearers of Yoruba, Bini, and Igbo peoples sometime before that. All of these peoples belong to the Kwa family of languages, and linguists are able to estimate separation times based on the differences in their individual languages. They broke off of one of the larger ethnic groups in the area at some point in the distant past and began developing their own culture in relative isolation from their parent group.

Economy:Most Idoma are farmers. Their staple crops are yams and taro, known locally as cocoa yams. Harvesting is a time for great celebration. Yams are produced efficiently enough to export them to their neighbors. They also harvest the fruit of the oil palm which is processed into oil and exported to Europe in large quantities, making it a fairly profitable cash crop. Other crops of importance include maize, manioc, peppers, peanuts, tomatoes, squash, and sweet potatoes. Goats, sheep, chickens and dogs are kept by nearly everyone. Although hunting no longer provides a substantial contribution to the local economy, fishing has remained very important throughout the region.

Political Systems:The Idoma may live in compact villages or in relatively dispersed family homesteads. Political ties exist primarily on the community level with a headman, or chief, who inherits his position along patrilineal lines. Royal succession among the Idoma often alternates between two patrilineal lines, to some extent weakening the power of the ruler. The chief usually consults a council of elders before making any important decisions. In the past, age-grade societies and the related masking traditions contributed to social control.

Religion:Idoma religion focuses on honoring lineage ancestors. Funeral ceremonies among the Idoma are often quite dramatic, with greater attention afforded to members of the community who have reached a combination of advanced age and prestige. Extensive funerals are held for both women and men in preparation for sending them on their final journey away from the village to the spirit world across the river. A memorial service, or second burial, is held for the deceased some time after the original burial in order to ensure that the dead pass on to the ancestor world in proper style.
Re: The Idoma by ebeledi(m): 6:15pm On Jun 08, 2007
are you idoma
Re: The Idoma by mohadana: 6:18pm On Jun 08, 2007
ijaw grin
Re: The Idoma by ebeledi(m): 9:16pm On Jun 08, 2007
i no very little about the ijaw please tell me about your people
Re: The Idoma by Ikomi(m): 11:50pm On Jun 08, 2007
ebeledi:

i no very little about the ijaw please tell me about your people

So many people believe they are drunkards, as they are well known for sapele water. Even though I dont believe this. I believe Ijaw people must be good natured for God to have blessed them with alot of crude oil.
Re: The Idoma by ebeledi(m): 4:02am On Jun 09, 2007
believe it or not oil in nigeria period is not a blessing but a curse
nigeria was far richer before oil was discovered
Re: The Idoma by mohadana: 5:55pm On Jun 09, 2007
grin grin grin grin,so many people believe an average ibo man is a criminal.
Re: The Idoma by ebeledi(m): 8:54pm On Jun 09, 2007
you have alot of hate towards igbo men

did oga man break your heart ? ?
Re: The Idoma by Nobody: 11:48am On Aug 29, 2007
;d
Re: The Idoma by fuzek: 4:02pm On Aug 29, 2007
Please talk about the Idoma peeps! I really want to know more about them. You know what i mean wink grin

shocked shocked Funny enuf, willywilly i've seen u on every thread today to just drop little or nothing there, hope u're fine Just a corncerned NL grin
Re: The Idoma by Nobody: 7:05pm On Sep 03, 2007
@Fuzek,
how u dey ,
i hear sey, IDOMA people dem dey good. dem no bi like HAUSA/FULANI wee specialize in embezzlement of public fund and contribute nothing.
Re: The Idoma by pilas: 8:22pm On Sep 12, 2007
IDOMA =Benue state.
Re: The Idoma by chic2pimp(m): 10:08pm On Apr 10, 2012
Idoma Ladam!!!
Re: The Idoma by lepasharon(f): 7:41pm On Apr 11, 2012
2 face is idoma!
Re: The Idoma by gst101: 10:26pm On Apr 14, 2012
other notable idomas are black face, 6ft+, bongos ikwe, david mark. We are a good people. We also share boundry with igala, tiv and some people in nasarawa state.

(1) (Reply)

What Countries Have The Highest Population Of Igbo Diaspora? / Are You A Village Or City Person? / 'okobo'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.