Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,926 members, 7,952,728 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 10:27 PM

Africa As Seen On TV In The US - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Africa As Seen On TV In The US (6271 Views)

As Seen In Onitsha (photos) / My take on BET awards and Africa as a whole[must read] / What Do I Gain From Africa As An African (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africa As Seen On TV In The US by Mustay(m): 1:06pm On Aug 10, 2008
lindabong:

I hate how those stupid ass feed the children type infomercials that they broadcast depict the continent Africa as a poor country.
And that's what some of these stupid ass ignorant people in the US don't understand is that Africa is a continent with several different countries in it and some of them don't have people running around naked, living in nasty ass mud huts, or children with big bellies.

That's a common mistake
Re: Africa As Seen On TV In The US by masawa: 8:31pm On Aug 10, 2008
Do not expect westerners or white people to show positive images of Africa.Why don't we Africans show some positive images of africa ourselves
we should create our own network,channels of information.Asians don't expect evruything from westerners they act like adults not kids
here are some images of africa you won't see on tv
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?=6361101
Re: Africa As Seen On TV In The US by masawa: 8:40pm On Aug 10, 2008
sorry I made a mistake,try this new link
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=6361101
Re: Africa As Seen On TV In The US by bebure(m): 4:22pm On Aug 12, 2008
I used to get angry over this issue up until last month or so. The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of Africa is underdeveloped- I think we can all agree with that, well I hope we can. However, the media in western countries does not do us justice at alll, at all, at all. They are quick to show the slumps and huts and are equally quick to report bad news whereas good news barely even gets a mention in the news. I remember watching Christian Purefoy reporting from Ghana sometime last year and CNN made sure that behind him was completely pitch black, suggesting there is no electricity (in my opinion anyway). My sister has been asked by some Americans if we had monkeys as neighbours in Nigeria to which she replied: "oh certainly, my did went to work with one" and the sad thing is they believed her. I have been asked by some random dude if I know a girl named Ssanyu from Uganda-what kind of dumbass question is that, how many people even know everyone on their street talkless of a continent with a billion people or so. It's just silly and people are equally silly for believing such stupid tales.

Anyway, the reason I've stopped getting angry is simple, the western media in my opinion does what it does to make its citizens feel better about themselves and its time we did the same man. Do you know some of the stories happening in Nigeria are actually gotten from CNN and BBC whose headquarters are based in Atlanta and London respectively. What we need to do as a nation or as a continent is to develop our very own media house which would be broadcast around the world (I don't mean AIT, the service in London is very shitty). We need to develop a media powerhouse that can compete against the BBC's and CNN's. That's what we need to do but whether or not we can actually do it is the real issue.
Re: Africa As Seen On TV In The US by Blackcat(f): 1:12pm On Sep 01, 2008
bebure:

I used to get angry over this issue up until last month or so. The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of Africa is underdeveloped- I think we can all agree with that, 

No you are wrong the vast majority of Africa is developed.
Looks like you also watch a lot of CNN and BBC. 65% of Africa is developed only 35% is undeveloped. The western media has capitalised on the 35% exaggerating and making it look the other way round. Go to Africa and visit any country of your choice just stand there in the middle of the street and look around you. You will be impressed.

About the questions we get from the low IQ non Africans, I would suggest we get even thats what I do to them here in europe. Ask them stupid questions too. Paint their country bad every chance I get.
Re: Africa As Seen On TV In The US by tpia5: 9:46pm On Aug 17, 2011
tEsLim:

I plan havin' an anti-american TV station. That shows only bad stuffs about america too. Strictly their ghettos like Watts, Dru Hill

how far with your plan.
Re: Africa As Seen On TV In The US by DaRapture: 7:11pm On Aug 18, 2011
Hey, what do you expect people to think of a continent of people who systematically sold their own folks out by the millions?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced / The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married / Some Facts About Hausa People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.