Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,065 members, 7,953,249 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:59 PM

"If Ere You Wake I'm Gone...", Poem By Awol, A Nairalander - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / "If Ere You Wake I'm Gone...", Poem By Awol, A Nairalander (449 Views)

Ere: The Spirit That Held A Land Captive (short Play With VIDEO) / MY CAMPUS LIFE: A Love Gone Wrong {18+ AN EMOTIONAL STORY TO READ} / A Nairalander Poses With Obaseki As Governor Endorses His Book (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"If Ere You Wake I'm Gone...", Poem By Awol, A Nairalander by Nobody: 2:12am On May 08, 2020
Tonight we to go together to sleep
But before the crow of the cock announcing the dawn
I shall have gone
Though not to the deep.

You may not know me
I may not know you
But together we have traveled this highway
This highway I was put, maybe by my desire to belong to something big
Or maybe for the fame that comes with standing before the congregates
Or maybe also for by my presumed affluence and influence of the chasuble
But it seems I've discovered it's not a place for me
And so I'm telling you that soon...
That soon my strength will be spent
And then I shall leave whilst you sleep, ere the dawn.

Then I shall be done participating in the feast of drooping dreamers
I shall be done thinking in the void
Proving the impossible; arguing the obvious
Unconvinced I pretend to be convinced
And getting convinced has been as hard as...
As believing that "two and two maketh five"
It has been like pushing a boulder up a mountain steep
Only to roll back to be pushed again
And I can't explain
Explain what's responsible for this crescendo and diminuendo in my heart.

If ere you wake I'm gone
Tell Ben, Pascal, John, Linus, Mathew that I said I'm done
Tell Daniel, Godwin, Emmanuel, and Celestine
And tell it to yourself also
That I should not be seen as the black sheep of the fold
Who lost sight of the crown of gold;
That though I know not what awaits me at the other side of the door,
I go, because there is never a right time to say goodbye.

And so, if ere you wake I'm gone
Think of me not as a feeble who could not stand to the end,
Think of me not as a lustful, derailed by bodily appetites,
Think of me rather as a hero who was strong enough to let go
If ere you wake I'm gone.

Published in Weekly Whispers of Bigard Memorial Seminary Enugu, on the 13th of Jan., 2015.

1 Like

Re: "If Ere You Wake I'm Gone...", Poem By Awol, A Nairalander by Onalow: 7:42am On May 08, 2020
Great lines.

Did you quit seminary?
Re: "If Ere You Wake I'm Gone...", Poem By Awol, A Nairalander by Nobody: 3:41pm On May 08, 2020
Onalow:
Great lines.

Did you quit seminary?

cool shocked cool
Re: "If Ere You Wake I'm Gone...", Poem By Awol, A Nairalander by Onalow: 7:19pm On May 08, 2020
Awol1:

cool shocked cool

Lol
You don't want to answer. I actually went to a school beside the Bigard memorial seminary and I admire their orderliness... And I detest their 'pretense.'
Re: "If Ere You Wake I'm Gone...", Poem By Awol, A Nairalander by Nobody: 9:24pm On May 08, 2020
Onalow:

Lol
You don't want to answer. I actually went to a school beside the Bigard memorial seminary and I admire their orderliness... And I detest their 'pretense.'

Really? So you know Bigard?

Well, pretense is part of the journey. Show who u truly are, and get expelled. You have to pretend you are assimilating formation if you must remain in the four walls of that school.

God bless mother Bigard whose breast I suckled!

1 Like

Re: "If Ere You Wake I'm Gone...", Poem By Awol, A Nairalander by Onalow: 5:54am On May 09, 2020
Awol1:

Really? So you know Bigard?

Well, pretense is part of the journey. Show who u truly are, and get expelled. You have to pretend you are assimilating formation if you must remain in the four walls of that school.

God bless mother Bigard whose breast I suckled!

Yea
I immediately felt you were there when you mentioned the 2015 magazine where your poem was published.

All the same: I wish you well, sir!
Re: "If Ere You Wake I'm Gone...", Poem By Awol, A Nairalander by Nobody: 1:00pm On May 09, 2020
Onalow:

Yea
I immediately felt you were there when you mentioned the 2015 magazine where your poem was published.

All the same: I wish you well, sir!

Shalom my dear

(1) (Reply)

RAPE: Who Should Be Blamed? Men, Women Or Mothers? / Books Are Meant To Change Lives – Foluke Sijuwola Falayi / Creative Writers Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.