|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,739,869 members, 6,497,502 topics. Date: Sunday, 19 September 2021 at 10:41 PM
|PAWPAW(CARICA PAPAYA) 101 by mrinsurer: 3:12pm On May 08, 2020|
PAWPAW 101 (CARICA PAPAYA)
1.PLANTING: Sow 4-7 seeds in a hole to ensure germination(do not pull the root for purpose of transplanting).Plant in well-drained soil and remove anything that will obstruct the roots. It starts germinating in 2-3 weeks.
2. SPACING: 1.5 x 1.5m apart and 3m per row giving densities of 1700 and 3000 plants/ha respectively.
3. RIDGING: Make well-drained high ridges to avoid waterlog that might lead to root rot. The roots are very sensitive to waterlogging and even short periods of flooding can kill the plants. Remove stumps and anything that might disturb the root growth.
3. MULCHING: Mulch with 4 inches of wood chips to help retain moisture, make sure to keep the mulch 8 to 12 inches from the tree.
4. IRRIGATION: Bury drip irrigation pipes and apply water moderately.
5. FERTILIZATION: Fertilize monthly or use organic manure on incremental pace until they start flowering. Provide a young tree with all-purpose fertilizer every 14 days using 1 teaspoon of complete fertilizer. Fertilize older trees with 2 teaspoons of fertilizer once a month. Regular fertilizer applications with a balanced, all-purpose fertilizer help support proper papaya tree growth and fruit development. For the best results, use a 14-14-14 product starting in the third month after planting. Recommended soil pH of 6.0-6.5.
6.PRUNING: Pluck off a dead leaf, uproot male plants when they start flowering, and leave 1 male plant for every 25 female plants to ensure good pollination. You can plant 2 different varieties in an acre to aid cross-pollination.
6. FRUITING: Starts fruiting in 8-10 months. Yields per tree vary from 75 to 150 fruits annually, giving 35 to 50 tons of fruit per ha per year.
7. HARVESTING: Harvest immediately they start changing color, wash, and pack in cartons for transportation to end-users. Harvest is done once or twice weekly.
8. REPLANTING: A papaya plantation can be productive for over 10 years but the economical period is only the first 3 to 4 years. It is therefore advisable to renew the plantation every 4 years. Cut old plants after 4 years and replace them with young plants for better production. The older they get, the weaker, less productive, and attractive to diseases.
High rate germinating dwarf variety available @ N2,500 per pack of 100 seeds.
|Re: PAWPAW(CARICA PAPAYA) 101 by Soltiade(m): 8:05pm On May 08, 2020|
|Re: PAWPAW(CARICA PAPAYA) 101 by FarmTech(m): 11:06pm On May 08, 2020|
Is that your farm?
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2021 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35