Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,990 members, 7,814,378 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:57 AM

Everybody In Nigeria Born Again? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Everybody In Nigeria Born Again? (916 Views)

How Can One Identify A True Born Again Christian? / Divorce Rates Amongst Born-again Christians Compared To Other Groups / Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Everybody In Nigeria Born Again? by Tunisque(m): 7:11pm On Jan 12, 2011
I have always been wondering each time i meet people and ask if they are born again they are always answer me to the positive even when their lifestyles give them away. It's like insincerity has taken the highest level in our country. Constructive comments are welcome.
Re: Everybody In Nigeria Born Again? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jan 12, 2011
Well u need to first tell me what ur own understanding of the phrase' born again' is. l'll comment afterwards
Re: Everybody In Nigeria Born Again? by Azibalua(f): 8:28pm On Jan 12, 2011
toba:

Well u need to first tell me what your own understanding of the phrase' born again' is. l'll comment afterwards
Was going to ask the same thing too,
@poster
What exactly do you understand by being born again and are you born again?
Re: Everybody In Nigeria Born Again? by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jan 12, 2011
@OP,

The majority of the people who say they are born again are NOT.

If Nigeria is awash with born again Christians , and hence the power of God, how come there is so much misery everywhere ?

The same people who confess to been born again will gladly cheat their neighbor, steal , lie, commit adultery and disobey God.

It's really becoming a comedy in Nigeria, this born again business.

Only a few are truly following Jesus in the last days.

'Many are called but few are chosen.'

'The road to eternal life is narrow and few there be that find it. On the other hand the road to destruction is broad and multitudes walk therein.'

Wise words from Jesus, think about it !
Re: Everybody In Nigeria Born Again? by Joagbaje(m): 11:44am On Jan 13, 2011
If someone says he is born again, you should simply ask him further questions on what he means by "born again". But the fact that a Christian does something wrong does not mean he is not born again. Being born again doesn't mean the person can never do wrong. Everybody make of or two mistakes from time to time.
Re: Everybody In Nigeria Born Again? by Tunisque(m): 12:51pm On Jan 13, 2011
toba:

Well u need to first tell me what your own understanding of the phrase' born again' is. l'll comment afterwards
I will answer your question based on the word of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ when Nicodemus came to Him in the night (John 3:1-21). You will recall He says he that is born of the Spirit is spirit and he that is born of the flesh is flesh. Our Lord says we must be born of water and of the Spirit to be truly born again meaning the word of God must have really washed you and you must have really allow the Spirit of God to work on you(Ezek36:25-29).
Moreover you must have the mind of King David if ever you make a mistake in your christian race(Psalm51:1 to the end) you must know how to return to calvary.
Re: Everybody In Nigeria Born Again? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:34pm On Jan 13, 2011
@OP i figure you just wanted a general consensus about the righteousness of Nigerians as a people. IMHO i would say 1 in 100,000 Nigerian is really born again. otherwise God would not have turned his face from our travails if in ancient times the prayers of 1 righteous man was enough to avert divine disaster
Re: Everybody In Nigeria Born Again? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jan 13, 2011
Tunisque:

I will answer your question based on the word of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ when Nicodemus came to Him in the night (John 3:1-21). You will recall He says he that is born of the Spirit is spirit and he that is born of the flesh is flesh. Our Lord says we must be born of water and of the Spirit to be truly born again meaning the word of God must have really washed you and you must have really allow the Spirit of God to work on you(Ezek36:25-29).
Moreover you must have the mind of King David if ever you make a mistake in your christian race(Psalm51:1 to the end) you must know how to return to calvary. 
Then u should realize that in this sinful world, it would be extremely difficult for many to fully meet up with the criteria to be called 'real born again'. However God is merciful and compationate see psalm 103 vs 8,9,10,11,12, 13. pls take note of vs 14-16 and relate those with Gen 6 vs 3.
Re: Everybody In Nigeria Born Again? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Jan 13, 2011
Relating my post above post to the op, u cant expect to have 100% perfect believers becos some of what is said in the bible. However there are some hypocrities believers that take advantage of some of the scriptural vs posted above to tanish/dent the true meaning and act of being born again. e.g pple that steal deliberately or fornicate on the guise that 'God knows we are not perfect' are examples and quickly run into psalm 51 vs 5 just like david. The truth no matter how records are be taken and all will have to give account. Rev 20 vs 12
Re: Everybody In Nigeria Born Again? by Tunisque(m): 7:34pm On Jan 13, 2011
@ toba I really appreciate your last post, it really drives home some good points. However my major concern is the level of sincerity in the land which also have a part to play in our polity. There is an adage that says a mad man starts recovering the day he realises he was sick. The same can be said about being born again, if you don't realise yourself as a sinner, how would Jesus work on you. Shall we continue in sin and still want grace to abound( Rom6). Being born again is like a journey and we have to start by taking a step. Thank you.
Re: Everybody In Nigeria Born Again? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jan 13, 2011
Then what can one do other than one to do personal evaluation and make adjustment based on the outcome. If we thoroughly understand what we read from the bible, we shouldnt be suprised at the insecerity we observe in the society. I think it only takes someone that has conscience that will do pesonal assessment and the re adjust afterwards. but my bro, that insincerity will continue till christ comes. We wouldnt stop preaching but son of perdition will be lost john 17 vs 12
Re: Everybody In Nigeria Born Again? by Tunisque(m): 8:06pm On Jan 13, 2011
I must say erroneous doctrines being propagated by our preachers are not also helping matters. Doctrines like eternal security and such like.
Re: Everybody In Nigeria Born Again? by harakiri(m): 8:35pm On Jan 13, 2011
Majority of d so called born agains are no different from cecilia ibru and dat intercontinental MD. They call "GOD,GOD,GOD" in every 4 sentences, quote scripture even in business meetings and yet cheat you. They can twist a single verse into a matrix of 800 different meanings to suit their purpose, they act holier than thou but have virtually little or no empathy 4 their fellow man, they rip people off justifing it with the bible as God's blessings and jump up and down praising him and giving testimony on the pulpit. With almost every christian claiming to be born again, u wonder why there so much wickedness in d land. From my view point, d so called born agains should lead the exemplary meek and modest lifestyles of Paul and Silas who from bible accts were wretchedly poor BUT what do u see today? Pastors will tell u dat their god is not a poor god and Jesus and his apostles were rich men. How many so called born agains can give up their comfort zones 2 live d tormentous life of hardship endured by the apostles? They will vehemently deny it as their portion. Jokers! ! !
Re: Everybody In Nigeria Born Again? by manmustwac(m): 8:52pm On Jan 13, 2011
yeah everybody in nigeria is a born again liar cheat thief etc
Re: Everybody In Nigeria Born Again? by UyiIredia(m): 8:58pm On Jan 13, 2011
@ harakiri >>> it is only natural that you surmise this given your skeptical pessimism. Note also that one must also expect the best from human beings in order that life may have meaning
Re: Everybody In Nigeria Born Again? by UyiIredia(m): 9:10pm On Jan 13, 2011
@ Tunisque & topic >>> consider that not everyone in Nigeria is born-again and that one finds it difficult to break from habits which remain pervasive in a system (e.g corruption, sexual promiscuity, laziness) not minding the person's religious bent.
Re: Everybody In Nigeria Born Again? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:08pm On Jan 13, 2011
The difference between the so called Born again and atheist is that while atheist don't believe in the existence of God the so called born again don't live their lives as if God exists even though the profess that He does.
Re: Everybody In Nigeria Born Again? by Tunisque(m): 10:40am On Jan 14, 2011
@ uyi Iredia, can you be more elaborate? I don't seem to understand your last post. Thank you.
Re: Everybody In Nigeria Born Again? by Tunisque(m): 11:47am On Jan 17, 2011
Some are even rationalising separation and remarrying? It's rather unfortunate!

(1) (Reply)

Jesus Vs Islam - Jesus is Greater / Yesterday Was Awesome! / Is Exodus 32:14 A Proof That God Is Evil?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.