Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,421 members, 7,819,516 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:29 PM

Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience (31967 Views)

How To Increase Glo Internet Speed Via APN For Fast And Smooth Browsing / How To Increase MTN Internet Speed Via APN For Fast And Smooth Browsing / No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by monichannel: 3:16pm On May 09, 2020
Yes
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by Godsonjolly: 3:17pm On May 09, 2020
Roon9:
Aha! Jesus Christ! No this not on front-page shocked
Seriously OP, of all factors sim card? Really
I'm also shocked as you grin
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by Nobody: 3:18pm On May 09, 2020
no, it depend on the proximity of network mass or phone specifications
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by SWORD419(m): 3:19pm On May 09, 2020
d33types:
well, there are 32k, 64k and 128k sims with different data capabilities. Check the bottom of the sim cards for these numbers
can u explain further?
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by Fairview1: 3:19pm On May 09, 2020
Not really even though it does to some extent.

Check your phone's....RAM. It's a memory device that allows data items to be read or written in almost the same amount of time irrespective of the physical location of data inside the memory.

It works in psynch with the Sim card, and may possibly be the reason why the delay in the network accessibility.

1 Like

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by paul100(m): 3:20pm On May 09, 2020
My own is does phone help your internet speed.
Like something using a 4gsim in an itel phone and someone using the same 4g sim in maybe samsung,iPhone and the likes.Will the speed be the same.

1 Like

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by Andesite: 3:22pm On May 09, 2020
Confused people giving confusing answers.

1 Like

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by paix(m): 3:22pm On May 09, 2020
YourNextLevel:
Yes

For instance 3G cannot give you 4G speed even though your using 4G or LTE handset and lives near the network mask
MAST

1 Like

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by kantap: 3:22pm On May 09, 2020
Of course yes, it has a lot to do as regard to network speed. Some SIM card are yet to be upgraded to 4G network platform hence, may not be at its best when the device is far away from network mast
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by paulolee(m): 3:23pm On May 09, 2020
Yes oo
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by Staphylococcus: 3:23pm On May 09, 2020
The root cause is the colour of your sim card.

Repaint it to black.

You can use a gloss paint to do that.
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by ObafemiAwoIowo: 3:25pm On May 09, 2020
Staphylococcus:
The root cause is the colour of your sim card.

Repaint it to black.

You can use a gloss paint to do that.
mynd44 lalasticlala seun
rule 1
off topic
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by paix(m): 3:26pm On May 09, 2020
Grgton:
no, it depend on the proximity of network mass or phone specifications
MAST
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by bluefilm: 3:26pm On May 09, 2020
Offpoint:
My phone was stolen during the lock down period, so I lost my both sims MTN&Glo. I couldn't retrieved, nor get a temporal sim due to the lockdown.
So I sorted myself out by borrowing unused sim from my neighbour just to stay online.
Bought a temporal used phone, still in good shape. Realized the internet speed has been extremely slow, though I'm using Glo... I've never had a problem with their speed cuz it's quite OK in my area.
But it sims this guy sim card is cursed with SLOWNESS, I realize it's 3G sim cuz I tried using it on my 4G lite Mifi and 4G option isnt there.
Even at 3G I should get a good speed like before, but the case is different with the sim.

Yesterday I decided to go out and get a new sim since the partial easing of the lockdown. Got a 4G lite sim, registered and start using it an hour later.
Meen the difference was CLEARED the speed was amazing, even though the phone is 3G phone. I became curious why is the other sim speed that poor? I switched the data to that sim... Speed is still as poor as anything.

This brought my curiosity here... Do Sim Cards determine Internet speed in such a way?

You are lucky I have a solution for you.

Just go and meet Pastor Chris Oyakhs.

He's a 5G enthusiast.

Trust me, he will connect you to 5G sharp sharp.
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by edoairways: 3:26pm On May 09, 2020
decatalyst:

Yes it does! Besides, you have gotten your answers from the simple test you did.

If the sim is old, it probably may have lose one of the legs to the chip...sim has 6legs, so the browsing fit slow or messages don't enter or enters lately.

Also, the band of a phone determines the kind of speed you get. If your network provider doesn't give you service on the band ur phone supports, OYO lo wa grin
Which brand of phone supports fast 4g speed?
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by Jakemedg(m): 3:27pm On May 09, 2020
decatalyst:

Yes it does! Besides, you have gotten your answers from the simple test you did.

If the sim is old, it probably may have lose one of the legs to the chip...sim has 6legs, so the browsing fit slow or messages don't enter or enters lately.

Also, the band of a phone determines the kind of speed you get. If your network provider doesn't give you service on the band ur phone supports, OYO lo wa grin
wow i am coming across this information for the first time
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by edoairways: 3:28pm On May 09, 2020
iCauseTrouble:
Why not call Glo customer care and ask.
I work with Indaboski Telecoms grin
So this madness has found it's way here too?
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by Heffalump(m): 3:29pm On May 09, 2020
OP, I was about askingthe same question too. cry
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by Nobody: 3:29pm On May 09, 2020
Lol...which one is "cursed with slowness" again? Lol
Well, I'm also having same ish with a sim I bought around last summer. Wasn't using it initially cos i have a 9mobile I use ( very swift) but I switched it on recently and mehhnnn the thing is very slow and doesn't even go through most times. Definitely switching back to my swift network as soon as I've exhausted the data. Kai!
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by Gbolaboi80: 3:30pm On May 09, 2020
IPhone bypass unlock

DM
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by dangoteinlaw: 3:34pm On May 09, 2020
Lies bro its not sim proby its your phony, most phones don't cover a wide range of bands amd thats where top phone brands like iPhone ans Samsung gets it right. Ppl using iPhone don't experience slow network even on Glo meanwhile in that same location some will tell u inside their parlor no network unley dinning room

1 Like

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by gungab(m): 3:36pm On May 09, 2020
To some extent
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by apexc2326: 3:36pm On May 09, 2020
[color=#] 2195034[/color]
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by Chucks234: 3:39pm On May 09, 2020
Offpoint:
My phone was stolen during the lock down period, so I lost my both sims MTN&Glo. I couldn't retrieved, nor get a temporal sim due to the lockdown.
So I sorted myself out by borrowing unused sim from my neighbour just to stay online.
Bought a temporal used phone, still in good shape. Realized the internet speed has been extremely slow, though I'm using Glo... I've never had a problem with their speed cuz it's quite OK in my area.
But it sims this guy sim card is cursed with SLOWNESS, I realize it's 3G sim cuz I tried using it on my 4G lite Mifi and 4G option isnt there.
Even at 3G I should get a good speed like before, but the case is different with the sim.

Yesterday I decided to go out and get a new sim since the partial easing of the lockdown. Got a 4G lite sim, registered and start using it an hour later.
Meen the difference was CLEARED the speed was amazing, even though the phone is 3G phone. I became curious why is the other sim speed that poor? I switched the data to that sim... Speed is still as poor as anything.

This brought my curiosity here... Do Sim Cards determine Internet speed in such a way?

Yes it does. Some sims are 2G, 3G, 4G sims. That was why MTN and some other telcos ran a campaign for subscribers to come change their sim.

1 Like

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by nicenaira(m): 3:40pm On May 09, 2020
What you highlighted in your post shows that, any old SIM should be upgraded to enjoy seamless internet connection.
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by EzzyCarter: 3:41pm On May 09, 2020
NaijadrivaCars:

Apart from the network of the SIM you have, I know that the configuration of phone (processor speed and type, RAM etc) affects speed of internet browsing. Also, settings of the data matter.
A phone with octacore snapdragon processor, 4GB RAM and 16GB ROM will be faster than another with Mediatek, 512GB SIM and 4GB ROM. So, compare your old and new phone and see which has better configuration.

I discovered that if I type in "default,dunl" on my MTN data SIM, it browses faster than when it is on "default, supl".

But if that your SIM is GLO, I rest my case.

Where can one get the settings for this on the phone?
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by coalcoal1(m): 3:42pm On May 09, 2020
@Poster.... you asked a question and you provided the answer with proof. what else are you looking for?
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by cosmos2000(m): 3:43pm On May 09, 2020
Offpoint:

SIM And Phone determines the speed of the internet, but if the sim is 4Glite and the phone doesn,t support 4glite, it will still be SLOW

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Comparison Thread: OPPO Reno2 Vs Apple Iphone 11 / Guy Makes Android Phone/Ipad Pen Touch With Bread (Video) / How MTN, Airtel & 9mobile Celebrated Valentine's Day (Funny Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.