Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,424 members, 7,822,969 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:34 PM

Six Specific Courses To Take To Aid Your NGO Job Search - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Six Specific Courses To Take To Aid Your NGO Job Search (3755 Views)

N-EXIT: There Is No Specific Amount For The Loan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Six Specific Courses To Take To Aid Your NGO Job Search by Ourown(m): 12:38pm On Aug 22, 2020
AbdulAkpan:
grin

You seem versed with these things. I'm confused and dont know which path to follow as a fresh graduate. I have B.Tech in Biochemistry.

I can learn and grow in most places except marketing and sales. Can you advice me please.

As regards NGO, I have been researching about M&E and WASH positions.
Re: Six Specific Courses To Take To Aid Your NGO Job Search by Ololade1999: 10:38am On Aug 23, 2020
Pls send the link on public health consultancy
Re: Six Specific Courses To Take To Aid Your NGO Job Search by AbdulAkpan: 10:58am On Aug 24, 2020
Ourown:

You seem versed with these things. I'm confused and dont know which path to follow as a fresh graduate. I have B.Tech in Biochemistry.

I can learn and grow in most places except marketing and sales. Can you advice me please.

As regards NGO, I have been researching about M&E and WASH positions.

It is good that you are keeping your options open. As a Biochemist, you can work at NGOs, hospitals or an Oil and Gas company. However, since you are already researching WASH and M&E roles, I would advise that you take a course from edX or Coursera and become certified in any one of those to make you eligible for a job at an NGO.

You should also write to at least 12 NGOs in your locality, offering your services as a volunteer. The truth is most NGO workers got their permanent roles after being volunteers. So, as a volunteer for at least 3 months, you stand a better chance to land a great job.

Cheers.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Six Specific Courses To Take To Aid Your NGO Job Search by AbdulAkpan: 11:03am On Aug 24, 2020

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Six Specific Courses To Take To Aid Your NGO Job Search by Kexcellency: 11:47am On Aug 24, 2020
please, I need link for peace and conflict resolution
Re: Six Specific Courses To Take To Aid Your NGO Job Search by AbdulAkpan: 2:13pm On Aug 24, 2020

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Six Specific Courses To Take To Aid Your NGO Job Search by Ourown(m): 3:49pm On Aug 24, 2020
AbdulAkpan:

It is good that you are keeping your options open. As a Biochemist, you can work at NGOs, hospitals or an Oil and Gas company. However, since you are already researching WASH and M&E roles, I would advise that you take a course from edX or Coursera and become certified in any one of those to make you eligible for a job at an NGO.

You should also write to at least 12 NGOs in your locality, offering your services as a volunteer. The truth is most NGO workers got their permanent roles after being volunteers. So, as a volunteer for at least 3 months, you stand a better chance to land a great job.

Cheers.

Thank you much

1 Like

Re: Six Specific Courses To Take To Aid Your NGO Job Search by Ololade1999: 4:13pm On Aug 24, 2020
Re: Six Specific Courses To Take To Aid Your NGO Job Search by Fetula4u: 7:02pm On Aug 24, 2020
AbdulAkpan:
For those who are interested in working with non-governmental organizations (NGOs), aside from being a graduate in any of the related courses, volunteering and participating in community-related work, you may need to take some specific courses to enable you to become noticed by any potential NGO on the lookout for work colleagues.

Most of the time, you will find organizations that are involved in creating opportunities for people to take these specific courses and get certified afterward but be careful not to be duped by fraudsters, ask the necessary questions and be sure the organization is approved for such before giving out any amount of money.

Another option is using online platforms to earn certification in such specific courses, of course, any approved online platform will also give out certificates after the course is done.

Below is a list of some of the specific courses needed. Please, note that this list is not exhaustive;

a. Monitoring and Evaluation – This is the collecting, storing, analyzing, and finally transforming data into strategic information so it can be used to make informed decisions for program management and improvement, policy formulation, and advocacy.

b. Peace and Conflict Resolution – This is a way for two or more parties to find a peaceful solution to a disagreement among them. The disagreement may be personal, financial, political, or emotional. When a dispute arises, often the best course of action is the negotiation to resolve the disagreement.

c. Logistics – The management of the flow of things between the point of origin and the point of consumption in order to meet the requirements of customers or corporations.

d. WASH – This simply means water, sanitation, and hygiene. A lot of NGOs focus on this ideal as a way of protecting public health when it comes to cleanliness in the environment as well as raising awareness for rural communities.

e. Cost-Benefit Analysis – This is a systematic approach to estimate the strengths and weaknesses of alternatives, for example in transactions, activities, functional business requirements, or project investments.

f. Consultancy – This is a specific study of any field for growth in expertise. It is a focused exploration of the field and practice of consulting, including its conventions, theoretical basis, and applications.

Source - https://lingoafrica.com/specific-courses-that-will-help-increase-your-chances/

Lingo Africa.
please do you have an idea on any logistic program
Re: Six Specific Courses To Take To Aid Your NGO Job Search by harbeebski(m): 8:08pm On Aug 24, 2020
AbdulAkpan:

Cheers.
I'm a public health science undergraduate and would love to work with one someday
Re: Six Specific Courses To Take To Aid Your NGO Job Search by AbdulAkpan: 12:53pm On Aug 25, 2020

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Six Specific Courses To Take To Aid Your NGO Job Search by AbdulAkpan: 1:06pm On Aug 25, 2020
harbeebski:

I'm a public health science undergraduate and would love to work with one someday

That is great! Just follow the volunteer route. It can be challenging but worth it at the end of the day. Also, don't forget to take courses in whatever role you want to build on.

Good luck to you!
Re: Six Specific Courses To Take To Aid Your NGO Job Search by Fetula4u: 9:45pm On Aug 25, 2020

1 Like

Re: Six Specific Courses To Take To Aid Your NGO Job Search by harbeebski(m): 1:44pm On Aug 26, 2020
AbdulAkpan:

That is great! Just follow the volunteer route. It can be challenging but worth it at the end of the day. Also, don't forget to take courses in whatever role you want to build on.

Good luck to you!

thanks sire...really appreciate

1 Like

Re: Six Specific Courses To Take To Aid Your NGO Job Search by AbdulAkpan: 2:00pm On Aug 28, 2020
shocked
Re: Six Specific Courses To Take To Aid Your NGO Job Search by Nobody: 7:17pm On Aug 29, 2020
AbdulAkpan:
For those who are interested in working with non-governmental organizations (NGOs), aside from being a graduate in any of the related courses, volunteering and participating in community-related work, you may need to take some specific courses to enable you to become noticed by any potential NGO on the lookout for work colleagues.

Most of the time, you will find organizations that are involved in creating opportunities for people to take these specific courses and get certified afterward but be careful not to be duped by fraudsters, ask the necessary questions and be sure the organization is approved for such before giving out any amount of money.

Another option is using online platforms to earn certification in such specific courses, of course, any approved online platform will also give out certificates after the course is done.

Below is a list of some of the specific courses needed. Please, note that this list is not exhaustive;

a. Monitoring and Evaluation – This is the collecting, storing, analyzing, and finally transforming data into strategic information so it can be used to make informed decisions for program management and improvement, policy formulation, and advocacy.

b. Peace and Conflict Resolution – This is a way for two or more parties to find a peaceful solution to a disagreement among them. The disagreement may be personal, financial, political, or emotional. When a dispute arises, often the best course of action is the negotiation to resolve the disagreement.

c. Logistics – The management of the flow of things between the point of origin and the point of consumption in order to meet the requirements of customers or corporations.

d. WASH – This simply means water, sanitation, and hygiene. A lot of NGOs focus on this ideal as a way of protecting public health when it comes to cleanliness in the environment as well as raising awareness for rural communities.

e. Cost-Benefit Analysis – This is a systematic approach to estimate the strengths and weaknesses of alternatives, for example in transactions, activities, functional business requirements, or project investments.

f. Consultancy – This is a specific study of any field for growth in expertise. It is a focused exploration of the field and practice of consulting, including its conventions, theoretical basis, and applications.

Source - https://lingoafrica.com/specific-courses-that-will-help-increase-your-chances/

Lingo Africa.
Re: Six Specific Courses To Take To Aid Your NGO Job Search by Nobody: 7:19pm On Aug 29, 2020
AbdulAkpan:

Lingo Africa.
pls what d cost of logistics
Re: Six Specific Courses To Take To Aid Your NGO Job Search by AbdulAkpan: 9:41pm On Aug 29, 2020
Re: Six Specific Courses To Take To Aid Your NGO Job Search by eminentSconsult: 2:54pm On Sep 16, 2020
Lovely thread.

I currently have a thread that shares Volunteering opportunities from non-profits weekly. https://www.nairaland.com/5928680/thread-volunteering-opportunities-nigeria

I think we can work together if you don't mind @op

1 Like

Re: Six Specific Courses To Take To Aid Your NGO Job Search by AbdulAkpan: 4:00pm On Sep 16, 2020
eminentSconsult:
Lovely thread.

I currently have a thread that shares Volunteering opportunities from non-profits weekly. https://www.nairaland.com/5928680/thread-volunteering-opportunities-nigeria

I think we can work together if you don't mind @op

Nice one. I value meaningful collaborations a lot. What did you have in mind?

1 Like

Re: Six Specific Courses To Take To Aid Your NGO Job Search by eminentSconsult: 4:07pm On Oct 04, 2020
AbdulAkpan:

Nice one. I value meaningful collaborations a lot. What did you have in mind?

I can give you access to a platform to post on how to go about Nonprofit to a large pool of volunteers. Also we could do a live session as well to discuss about the Nonprofit sector.

I'm sorry did not respond. I got banned for a while on this space

(1) (2) (Reply)

Vacancy!!! Industrial Chemist, Industrial Electrician And Quality Control Staff / I Have Gotten A Job And Am Relocating To Lagos, / How I Made My First Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.