Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,506 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:28 PM

Legal Perspectives Of Marital Rape In Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Legal Perspectives Of Marital Rape In Nigeria (267 Views)

My Senior Colleague And His Wife's Messy Marital Life. Things Are Happening / Any Reason Why My Thread On Marital Rape Was Deleted? / Marital Rape? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Legal Perspectives Of Marital Rape In Nigeria by Treash(m): 2:05pm On May 09, 2020
Treash:
Rape is defined as a crime of forcing a woman or girl to have sex, especially using violence and it is one of the oldest crimes in the world.

Section 6 of the Criminal Code defines unlawful carnal knowledge as that which takes place between two or more people otherwise than between husband and wife; and the offence is complete upon penetration. In other words, marital rape is not an offence in Nigeria. A husband cannot rape his wife. It is assumed that the wife gives implied general consent to sexual intercourse with her husband upon entering the marriage contract.

Under Nigerian criminal law, a man may be charged with assault and other violence as the case may be, and depending on the circumstances under which he has sexual intercourse with his wife, but he cannot be charged with raping his wife. It's noteworthy, that one of the reasons for dissolution of marriage is the refusal of either party to consummate the marriage with the other spouse (that is, denying the other party from having sexual intercourse with him/her).

Barr Adeolu Ayo Aderinto

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Can A Honest Nigerian Still Afford The Basics Of Life / Emotional Affair: This Might Just Be The Problem With Your Home / I Do Home Care For Elderly People.. Elderly Women Or Men T Be Precise Anyway....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.