Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,281 members, 7,836,251 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses (26733 Views)

How Rich Men In Orifite In Anambra Are Making Their Town Economic Viable (Photo) / Abuja Airport Shut Down As Aircraft Overshoots Runway (Pictures/Video) / Nigeria’s Major Airports Not Designed For International Operations - Hadi Sirika (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by Burruchaga71(m): 8:55am On May 11, 2020
Even katsina state has an Airport but Anambra state that needed it most doesn't have.. What a same.

2 Likes

Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by tonididdy(m): 8:55am On May 11, 2020
Romanoff:

Just check out Ilorin flight fare, fear go catch you. I believe if the fare is as affordable as a Lagos to Abuja flight, it will improve.

Well so so.
More information is needed to the public.
Some persons are afraid of flying and some think you must have a passport to fly interstate.
That being considered... I don't think it's a busy route.
Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by JetStar: 8:56am On May 11, 2020
Do you know why this is the case in Nigeria. I think it is the sheer lack of domestic flights due to the unafforadable costs by most of the middle class Nigerians. If a middle class Nigerian wants to travel a distance of 500km, they would rather take a rickety bus instead of a plane. this explains the low volume of flights in many of the Nigerian airports. Airports need electricity to run, they need workers to keep the place running, and they need businesses to keep it running. Sorry to say this, there are many places that are not just ready for airports but governors are the problem. Because they want to impress their citizens, they won't mind build one big infrastructure that most of their citizens will never be able to use. If a governor invest his state money on renewable energy or roads or agriculture, almost everyone can benefit from it. But infrastructure such as airports and railways are very expensive (railways in particular) and they seem to be only for the "rich people" (in the Nigerian language).

In the United States, there are lots of domestic flights. Many Americans won't use a vehicle if they're considering travelling a distance of over 500km. that's what boost the airport revenue.

Well, the cost of flights is to blame.

1 Like

Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by caleboxylic: 8:58am On May 11, 2020
Grgton:
Enugu Airport not viable?? what kinda con3, is this. then why waste resources in reparing some facilities there

Hope you went through this article.
He told you that at a point before the shutting down of AIIA, that it was the third performing airport behind Abuja and Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by Hamburgfinest(m): 8:59am On May 11, 2020
I said it before,the problem of this country is the civil servant they take bribes before even the revenue. then reduced the government revenue.their Oga at the top will loot half of the little that is left for government.what are they spending at that airport apart from electric bills and diesel for generator and security what else.this country the civil servant are very very wicked,they can’t work proper without making their personal gains.sell one of the airport to an Igbo man you will see wonders...
Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by Nobody: 9:00am On May 11, 2020
saponda253:
Good day Fellow Nairalanders,

During the Lockdown, I earned a total of N19,000 in the month on April.

Yes, It's not much but its something during this trying times of Covid 19 Pandemic.

I was offered 10% daily on my investment and a whooping 20% on referrals.

want to know more about ??

After you register, Join the Telegram for better info

Check my signature Below for Link

Over 90% of lowlifes in this forum are into this type of wayoo.

This account was registered yesterday and today he has started already, so when people derail a thread and turn it into tribal attacks you can understand the type of people behind the keyboard.

Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by bmdmixer: 9:00am On May 11, 2020
no it hasn't lost any money fg was simply eating big share n giving d source of income ant share to manage simple
Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by Benwallt(m): 9:01am On May 11, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Nice
Still on yesterday's birthday

Airtel: 0847122840513061
broda, pls I missed out on did birthday gestures. I need Airtel card 08121698594. Happy birthday.
Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by wman(m): 9:03am On May 11, 2020
And yet some silly state governors are still hell bent on opening airports.

They just want to use it to embezzle money.
Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by yellowgarri2(m): 9:04am On May 11, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Nice
Still on yesterday's birthday

Airtel: 0847122840513061
Happy birthday Damnnnnn niggarr i need mtn airtime

1 Like

Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by hammerP: 9:05am On May 11, 2020
GOD WILL PUNISH THOSE PEOPLE THAT HAVE REFUSE TO COMPLETE ENUGU INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT.

ENUGU IS THE THIRD BUSIEST INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT IN NIGERIA IF ABOKI AND AFONJA LEAVE THE IGBO MAN ALONE.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by Hamburgfinest(m): 9:08am On May 11, 2020
SeverusSnape:

Every sector under this administration is going down the drain.
without those 17 airport feeding those three big airport they will not functioning proper.this is another propaganda targeting some people.do we have experts that regulate our policies at all.so sorry for my country

1 Like

Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by wura2u: 9:08am On May 11, 2020
mmsen:
Everything in this country is done for the sake of political appeasement. That's why there's an airport in Katsina.

Build decent roads and a comprehensive rail network and you won't need airports every 100 km.

And also adequate security against kidnapping on the highway.

1 Like

Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by kunletexs: 9:09am On May 11, 2020
When we have as much as 400 empty heads senators, special advisers and a clueless president ; what do you get? Nothing concrete.

How do you see a nation calling itself 'giants of africa' not having a national carrier of its own?

Let the government buy planes and bring back our national carriers again.

Encouraging and removing the various double payments at airports for our international airports plus the continous begging manners of airport workers to foreigners does not sell us well, hereby reducing and shunting our national revenue and profits.

1 Like

Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by wman(m): 9:09am On May 11, 2020
coins501:
Buhari's government is one of the biggest scams of the 21st century. How this dull man managed to fool very enlightened Nigerians to vote him in 2015 is still a mystery.

This matter isn't about Buhari.
Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by maimota(f): 9:10am On May 11, 2020
Islie:
• Facilities incur N26.1b deficit in three years

• How to overcome challenge, by stakeholders

https://m.guardian.ng/news/17-fg-airports-not-viable-may-shut-down-over-losses/

I don't believe they operated at loss, their managements are highly corrupt.
Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by FlordFlorez(m): 9:12am On May 11, 2020
Why 20 airport for Christ sake. How many international tourist centers we got? What have we got that has potential to attract foreigners? Nothing! Its purely political. Even USA with 300+ million population and the world most visit country are not obsessed of building airports like this. We have a long way to go. I'm afriad Nigeria might not get better in this generation and the next atleast.
Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by MrPresident1: 9:17am On May 11, 2020
I wonder why all the airports have not been concessioned to Edo people?

Edo and Kwale run the best airlines

cc Ishilove
Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by 2016v2017: 9:17am On May 11, 2020
Temptee101:
shocked

Not only airports.

The whole zoo is not viable, it should be shutdown, broken into different fragments and auctioned on eBay for buyers.

Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by Reference(m): 9:18am On May 11, 2020
What have I been saying for two.decades. Nigeria is too poor to run an aviation industry.

Transportation is all about numbers and we simply donot have enough people within the bracket (the middle class) of those who travel by air in other nations.

That is why the average lifespan of Nigerian airlines from inception to bankruptcy is 15 years. The turnover in the industry is staggering.

That is why I view in absilute diaguat more and more states building airports, the latest being Anambra and Abia and wasting taxpayers funds in procuring commercial aircraft like in the sad case of Akwa Ibom.

What goverments at the state level should have been doing with these massive amounts invested in transportation is building high speed rail links. Rail transport has remained the most viable, most economical and the most profitable means of transport for tje past 200 hundred years everywhere in the world.

Wirh high speed rail you may not get to Lagos from Abuja in a 45 minute flight but it is possible in 3 to 4 hours, at a fraction of the ticket cost and with greater versitality in the number of stops and the the cargo handling capacity.

Already we have a model success in the Abuja/Kaduna rail line that has carried more passengers in the five years of operations than perhaps all the airlines in Nigeria have carried in the last decade.

Another advantage of rail travel is that it is very easy to create a class structure that sells tickets lower than road transport for the poor and better than the best first class air travel experience for the wealthy. It is well known that the rail travel business introduced sleeping berths and full restaurants decades before they were considered in the air.

Finally, if Nigeria had a proper structure of devolution of powers the Federal Goverment need not bear all the burden of building Nigeria's rail network. States can build these lines under license from border to border and generate revenue from the rolling stock passing through, the Federal Goverment being the referee in this game, the supervising agency.

Without a middle class destroyed by decades of military rule with the nod of the feudal forces holding Nigeria captive, the airline industry can never be viable.
Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by Coldie(m): 9:20am On May 11, 2020
Romanoff:
The cost of flying to Ilorin on return ticket is approximately 100k. How many people can afford that?

Go to Royal Riders transport company and see how many people travel by road to Ilorin on a daily basis. You'll see that it is not for lack of passengers that the airport is not raking revenue but for affordability. Bring down the cost of the air fares and you'll get a lot of traffic.
U can't imagine how more useless the airports will become once the trains return
Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by DrObum(m): 9:20am On May 11, 2020
Hypocrites.
They don't want to shut them down because more northern states would be affected.
If the converse was the situation, they wouldn't think twice to shut them down.

Government of the north.

I laugh at state governors building airports without feasibility studies.
Ebonyi really comes to mind.
Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by Coldie(m): 9:21am On May 11, 2020
Grgton:
Enugu Airport not viable?? what kinda con3, is this. then why waste resources in reparing some facilities there
Enugu get hope see this;

“But in the north, you will have to shut down Sokoto, Bauchi, Gombe, Minna, and Ilorin maybe, among others. In the west, maybe Akure. Hence, it becomes highly political and more dangerous."
Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by Coldie(m): 9:24am On May 11, 2020
Reference:
What have I been saying for two.decades. Nigeria is too poor to run an aviation industry.

Transportation is all about numbers and we simply donot have enough people within the bracket (the middle class) of those who travel by air in other nations.

That is why the average lifespan of Nigerian airlines from inception to bankruptcy is 15 years. The turnover in the industry is staggering.

That is why I view in absilute diaguat more and more states building airports, the latest being Anambra and Abia and wasting taxpayers funds in procuring commercial aircraft like in the sad case of Akwa Ibom.

What goverments at the state level should have been doing with these massive amounts invested in transportation is building high speed rail links. Rail transport has remained the most viable, most economical and the most profitable means of transport for tje past 200 hundred years everywhere in the world.

Wirh high speed rail you may not get to Lagos from Abuja in a 45 minute flight but it is possible in 3 to 4 hours, at a fraction of the ticket cost and with greater versitality in the number of stops and the the cargo handling capacity.

Already we have a model success in the Abuja/Kaduna rail line that has carried more passengers in the five years of operations than perhaps all the airlines in Nigeria have carried in the last decade.

Another advantage of rail travel is that it is very easy to create a class structure that sells tickets lower than road transport for the poor and better than the best first class air travel experience for the wealthy. It is well known that the rail travel business introduced sleeping berths and full restaurants decades before they were considered in the air.

Finally, if Nigeria had a proper structure of devolution of powers the Federal Goverment need not bear all the burden of building Nigeria's rail network. States can build these lines under license from border to border and generate revenue from the rolling stock passing through, the Federal Goverment being the referee in this game, the supervising agency.

Without a middle class destroyed by decades of military rule with the nod of the feudal forces holding Nigeria captive, the airline industry can never be viable.

With the return of the trains a lot of airports will become very useless

1 Like

Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by Kinematics: 9:26am On May 11, 2020
tonididdy:
3 major international airport isn't enough besides I personally recognise only 2 (Abuja and Lagos, PH is a last resort for any traveller and most routes are missing or still link up with Lagos or abuja for final departures).

Besides how did the guardian get these figures. Is EDo airport a federal property? Didn't know that.

They are talking about viability you are here typing trash. Every business is run to make profit, as long as PH international airport remain profitable its aming the 3 viable FG airports the have in the country. The others are run at a loss.
Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by Coldie(m): 9:29am On May 11, 2020
FlordFlorez:
Why 20 airport for Christ sake. How many international tourist centers we got? What have we got that has potential to attract foreigners? Nothing! Its purely political. Even USA with 300+ million population and the world most visit country are not obsessed of building airports like this. We have a long way to go. I'm afriad Nigeria might not get better in this generation and the next atleast.
I won't lie, if only Nigeria was a tourist country the airports would have been viable. But Nigerians are very poor, flight is not a necessity in Nigeria to alot of Nigerians its a luxury, that's y so many people once they just reach the airport they start taking picture's.

Nigeria is still a poor country.
Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by Kinematics: 9:29am On May 11, 2020
Niccoloimhotep:
impossible did you not read in the report where it says in quote:

From the quote above and @bolded, it can be easily deduced that after lagos and abuja, enugu comes third or fourth on the worst case scenario. Then owerri too was quoted to be bubbling. SE fared well in my opinion, infact it came second after the SW lagos airport if you put together the output effect of Owerri and Enugu combined.

Before you start celebrating in self deceit

Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by APOSTLECHUMA: 9:30am On May 11, 2020
Link up state capitals by rail and introduce speed trains that can travel across regions within maximum of 2-3hrs and see many airports fold up.
Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by tonididdy(m): 9:31am On May 11, 2020
Kinematics:

They are talking about viability you are here typing trash. Every business is run to make profit, as long as PH international airport remain profitable its aming the 3 viable FG airports the have in the country. The others are run at a loss.

I haven't spoken otherwise. For the article to say PH is in profit, that's what baffled me the most. How did they come up with the figures?

As busy as PH airport claims to be, how many domestic flights land there? Only Lagos and abuja, maybe Kano as for international flights I'd say zero patronage because on several occasions I have had pals take flights out of PH to Lagos and abuja to catch an international flight.

Ps I live in PH several years so I know my onions on the state.

Do you see the international patronage? That 1m person on domestic flights you see there are leaving to catch international flights in either Lagos or Abuja.

Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by PortHarcourt1st: 9:31am On May 11, 2020
[s]
Kinematics:

hey are talking about viability you are here typing trash. Every business is run to make profit, as long as PH international airport remain profitable its aming the 3 viable FG airports the have in the country. The others are run at a loss.
[/s]

PORT HARCOURT is a shithole. That's the point cheesy

Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by PortHarcourt1st: 9:32am On May 11, 2020
Kinematics:

Before you start celebrating in self deceit

PORT HARCOURT is the most polluted city in the world. Shame on oil rich city. cheesy

Re: 17 FG Airports Not Viable, May Shut Down Over Losses by PortHarcourt1st: 9:34am On May 11, 2020
PORT HARCOURT is littered with slums and shanties

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

This Is A Desert… But Once A Year It Turns Into Something Else / Pictures Of Most Haunted Places In The World / 20 Dead As Dams Burst In Bahia, Brazil As Region Hit By Floods(photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.