Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,781 members, 7,827,878 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:23 PM

How To Prepare Anti Covid-19 Efo Riro - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Prepare Anti Covid-19 Efo Riro (1698 Views)

How I Prepared Efo Riro With N500 (Photos) / How To Cook Efo Riro With Step By Step Guide (Photos, Video) / Efo Riro: A Nairalander’s Delicacy For The Weekend! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Prepare Anti Covid-19 Efo Riro by Juliearth(f): 1:54pm On May 12, 2020
Efo riro is the Yoruba version of edikaikong. It is a staple in every Yoruba home and no occasion is complete without this delicacy. Today, I decided to prepare a pot of this delicacy for a client. Find below the ingredients and method of preparation.
Cc
MissyB3
Nonny400
Moralgladiator
Daddtime

To prepare this soup, you would need
Unadulterated palm oil
Red bell pepper (tatashe)
Goat meat
Stock fish
Smoked fish
Cow tripe
Cow offals
Crayfish
Cameron pepper
Fresh Pepper, Onions, ginger
Pumpkin (ugu) leaves...
Iru

1. Wash and process all ingredients as supposed.
2 wash cow tripe with salt and/or vinegar
3 wash smoked catfish and stock fish with warm water and salt. I thereafter, soak the stockfish in hot water for an hour max to soften it.
4. Wash red bell peppers and deseed, blend coarsely with pepper, onions and ginger.
5. Cook your meats. Start with the cow tripe and offals since they are the hardest. Use your discretion to know when to add the goat meat. Note that you have to use as little water as possible. Cook until almost tender and set aside.
6. Add palm oil to another pot, once hot (but not bleached), add some diced Onions, allow to caramelize and then add the pepper blend. Add you iru and stir occasionally until it is well fried (the presence of oil at the top confirms this)

7. Add your cooked meats, soaked stockfish, add some bouillon cubes if necessary, blended crayfish, cameroun pepper (for extra heat). Allow to cook for additional 10 to 15 minutes and then add your vegetables.allow to cook for 3 minutes and your Efo riro is ready.

Bon Appetite!

3 Likes

Re: How To Prepare Anti Covid-19 Efo Riro by Nobody: 2:03pm On May 12, 2020
Juliearth:
Efo riro is the Yoruba version of edikaikong. It is a staple in every Yoruba home and no occasion is complete without this delicacy. Today, I decided to prepare a pot of this delicacy for a client. Find below the ingredients and method of preparation.
Cc
MissyB3
Nonny400
Moralgladiator
Daddtime

Unadulterated palm oil
Goat meat
Stock fish
Smoked fish
Cow tripe
Cow offals
Crayfish
Cameron pepper
Pumpkin (ugu) leaves...
Iru

3 wash smoked catfish and stock fish with warm water and salt. I thereafter, soak the stockfish in hot water for an hour max to soften it.
4. Wash red bell peppers and deseed, blend coarsely with pepper, onions and ginger.
5. Cook your meats. Start with the cow tripe and offals since they are the hardest. Use your discretion to know when to add the goat meat. Note that you have to use as little water as possible. Cook until almost tender and set aside.
6. Add palm oil to another pot, once hot (but not bleached), add some diced Onions, allow to caramelize and then add the pepper blend. Add you iru and stir occasionally until it is well fried (the presence of oil at the top confirms this)

7. Add your cooked meats, soaked stockfish, add some bouillon cubes if necessary, blended crayfish, cameroun pepper (for extra heat). Allow to cook for additional 10 to 15 minutes and then add your vegetables.allow to cook for 3 minutes and your Efo riro is ready.

Bon Appetite!

cry
Re: How To Prepare Anti Covid-19 Efo Riro by Cityqueengirl(f): 2:56pm On May 12, 2020
Bon Appétit

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Anti Covid-19 Efo Riro by Nobody: 5:27pm On May 12, 2020
Hello Juliearth,nice job.
Re: How To Prepare Anti Covid-19 Efo Riro by Harmony92(f): 6:55pm On May 12, 2020
Am so hungry rite now cry op u are not nice angry
Re: How To Prepare Anti Covid-19 Efo Riro by Juliearth(f): 7:53pm On May 12, 2020
Harmony92:
Am so hungry rite now cry op u are not nice angry

So sorry, my love. You can use the method to prepare your own pot of soup.
Re: How To Prepare Anti Covid-19 Efo Riro by Juliearth(f): 7:53pm On May 12, 2020
Cityqueengirl:
Bon Appétit

Merci!
Re: How To Prepare Anti Covid-19 Efo Riro by nonny400(m): 12:52pm On Jun 26, 2020
Juliearth:
Cc
MissyB3
Nonny400
Moralgladiator
Daddtime

Unadulterated palm oil
Goat meat
Stock fish
Smoked fish
Cow tripe
Cow offals
Crayfish
Cameron pepper
Pumpkin (ugu) leaves...
Iru

Bon Appetite!

I feel hungry right now. Nice thread.
Re: How To Prepare Anti Covid-19 Efo Riro by Juliearth(f): 5:10pm On Jun 26, 2020
nonny400:

I feel hungry right now. Nice thread.

"Let he who is hungry drink from the river of life." Thanks CSB!
Re: How To Prepare Anti Covid-19 Efo Riro by Nobody: 12:59pm On Aug 01, 2020
I just love u dear. Hw I wish I can cook... U r doing well
Re: How To Prepare Anti Covid-19 Efo Riro by Fudap: 3:03pm On Aug 01, 2020
Nice thread.

We wish you a happy Tasty August! wink

Re: How To Prepare Anti Covid-19 Efo Riro by SoupEmbassy: 2:17pm On Sep 24, 2020
There are a lot of vegetable soup out there, but so far, Edikaikong Soup seem to be the real vegetable soup. By Edikaikong Soup, I mean the vegetable soup made by the Ibibios or Efiks people of South South region in Nigeria.

The soup involves a lots of preparation and honestly, requires one to be a very good mood to get the consistency right.
It's delicious, nutritious, and full of essential vitamins only when eating fresh.

So here's my hands down recipe from my grandma on how to make a tasty Edikaikong soup.

I kg 5 bunch of Pumpkin leave (Ugwu), 500 g water leaves, 2 handful Ntong (scent leaves or Effirin, I kg Assorted Meat, Ponmo, 200 ml (2 cups) Palm oil, I medium onions, I Cup of periwinkles, Head I Large stockfish, 2 Medium Sized Smoked Fish, 6 fresh Yellow pepper (pounded), I Cup pounded Crayfish, 1/2 Cup Dried Shrimps (slightly pounded), 1 tbs black Pepper, 2 stock cubes, Salt.

Steps
Before cooking, I like to pick, wash properly and allow to drain then slice all the vegetables. Ugwu, water leaves and scent leaves. Put each in separate bowls.

Wash you Meats, seasons accordingly and cook till almost tender, then add the washed Stock fish head and cook... Make sure the meat stock is almost Dried...we don't need water in the soup, cause the water leaves and palm will generate stock for the soup.

Before the stock Dried out completely, add water leaves, pour in the palm oil, add Periwinkles, pounded fresh pepper and stir properly. cook for 3-5 mins. (Ensure you don't over cook the water leaves)

Add in Ugwu, scent leaves, pounded shrimps, smoked fish, black pepper, stock cubes and stir the content of the pot very well..Cover the pot and leave to cook for 5mins

Lastly, according to my Grandma's recipe, you add the pounded Crayfish and taste for salt, give it a stir and that's it.(pls be mindful of the salt and stock cubes, cause vegetable soup can easily become salty)

Remove from fire and enjoy with Fufu, Pounded Yam, Semo, Samvita or even Eba.

If you are too hard for you to prepare a bowl, you can order for edikaikong soup online and Soup Embassy will deliver it to your home in Lagos or Abuja
Re: How To Prepare Anti Covid-19 Efo Riro by ceeceeuwa: 4:26pm On Sep 24, 2020
Juliearth:
Cc
MissyB3
Nonny400
Moralgladiator
Daddtime

Unadulterated palm oil
Goat meat
Stock fish
Smoked fish
Cow tripe
Cow offals
Crayfish
Cameron pepper
Pumpkin (ugu) leaves...
Iru

Bon Appetite!

This looks nice! But it's definitely not edikaikong!!! shocked
Re: How To Prepare Anti Covid-19 Efo Riro by Juliearth(f): 4:34pm On Sep 24, 2020
ceeceeuwa:

This looks nice! But it's definitely not edikaikong!!! shocked

??
Re: How To Prepare Anti Covid-19 Efo Riro by ceeceeuwa: 4:40pm On Sep 24, 2020
Juliearth:

Really? What makes you think it isn't edikaikong?
The recipe is not same as for Edikaikong.
Edikaikong is indigenous to Akwa Ibom and Cross Rivers indigene.
Re: How To Prepare Anti Covid-19 Efo Riro by Juliearth(f): 4:42pm On Sep 24, 2020
ceeceeuwa:

The recipe is not same as for Edikaikong.
Edikaikong is indigenous to Akwa Ibom and Cross Rivers indigene.

That is why I am asking you to point out my flaws with the soup so I can learn.
Re: How To Prepare Anti Covid-19 Efo Riro by ceeceeuwa: 5:00pm On Sep 24, 2020
Juliearth:

That is why I am asking you to point out my flaws with the soup so I can learn.
OK, you omitted water leaf, periwinkle. Iru and tatase is not used. You can google 'recipe for Edikaikong' on YouTube. I'm not so good at typing lengthy words. I'm at work.
All the best! I love food section!!!
Re: How To Prepare Anti Covid-19 Efo Riro by Juliearth(f): 5:02pm On Sep 24, 2020
ceeceeuwa:

OK, you omitted water leaf, periwinkle. Iru and tatase is not used. You can google 'recipe for Edikaikong' on YouTube. I'm not so good at typing lengthy words. I'm at work.
All the best! I love food section!!!

Wow!!!

Pardon me first of all for not noticing the mixup in your probing. The recipe I shared is for eforiro and not edikaikong, reason why you have Iru and Tatashe. I think I created a thread for edikaikong. Feel free to check that out.

(1) (Reply)

Do You Remember These? / Ever Seen Black Corn? / Moin Moin The G O A T

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.