Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,185 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:25 AM

How To Succeed As A Man In The US - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How To Succeed As A Man In The US (9561 Views)

Outrage As Police Vehicle Runs Over Handcuffed Man In Edo (Pic) / Nigerian Man In Canada Shows His COVID19 Lockdown Palliative / Homeless Nigerian Man In USA, Walks The Street Aimlessly (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Nobody: 3:02pm On May 13, 2020
Many people have been hitting me up since I made the thread on how not to follow Akata women in the US if you want to succeed. Many have been asking me questions on how to survive in the US. In this thread, I'm going to educate fellow guys on how to go about it.

This thread is in no way, made to offend anyone. If you find anything I say offensive, I apologize in advance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Nobody: 3:08pm On May 13, 2020
It's been long since we saw your update
Ok let go now cool

2 Likes

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Poddy(m): 3:14pm On May 13, 2020
Pitching my tent here..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Nobody: 3:18pm On May 13, 2020
First and foremost, before you step out of US or allow the thrill of US to overshadow your mind, you must sit down and strategize a plan.

You must have a plan with a goal in mind. You must have a plan with dated goals in place. If you don't have a plan or if you have a plan but you divert from it, your story will become very sorry.

America is a place in which you will lose yourself, your mind, your culture, your values, your plans and your aspirations. America glitters to the inexperienced eye but it's all fools gold. America is shit that has been painted with gold. It looks good on the outside but the inside is stinking.

First you must know that when you come to US, nobody is going to give you that same big job you had in GTB or UBA. If you were a Shell or Mobil big boy, that one is inside your pocket. Prepare to become one of the smallest and insignificant boys in US.

You will quickly find out that your bachelor's or master's degree is almost worth nothing in the US. Whatever you were in Nigeria is what you were in Nigeria. Prepare to start life from the scratch. Nobody is going to give you director job in the US.

If you worked in a bank in Nigeria and you're lucky enough to get a bank job in the US, it is not the same o grin grin. Working at a bank in US most times the bankers earn minimum wage grin. Even the bank manager of the bank is not earning much.

If you looked down on manual labor or "menial jobs" in Nigeria, prepare to become a manual job worker in the US.

I know it all sounds disheartening but it is the reality of things in the US. Your focus is the only thing that will keep you encouraged because many times when you look at your paycheck that you earned for 2 weeks of hard labor, you will want to ask yourself if this is all you are worth to the US and your employer. But just stay strong. A brighter day is coming.

Remember who you are. You are a Nigerian. You survived Nigeria. Speaking from experience, there is NO POOR NIGERIAN IN THE US. I HAVENT COME ACROSS ANY POOR NIGERIAN IN THE US.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Bizibi(m): 4:09pm On May 13, 2020
This is the thread I am interested in but mine is not for job or greener pastures but just investments.

@pdudd I would love to know a good sector to invest in apart from real estate and I was told most Nigerians only buy stocks.
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Nobody: 4:36pm On May 13, 2020
Next tip: Go to school and get an education.

Before you enter US, you must have planned that education is part of your plan in US. Education is what will protect you as a Nigerian in a foreign land.

Anyone can take your money, cars, houses, jobs, etc but nobody can take your education from you. It is within you. And that education can open doors for you. Don't be content with the minimum wage job which you get at first which may seem to be able to cater for all your needs. This is because when you are fresh from Nigeria, you will seem content with being able to meet your basic needs. But after a few years in the US, you will want a higher level of comfort which a basic salary cannot afford. That is why education is needed. In US, most times an education is a step unto greater heights.

Please forget about putting yourself in debt due to student loans. Student loans is the only way to get a quality education now in US. Please do not listen to those fucking baby boomers that tell you that in their time, they worked 3 jobs just to pay tuition and that you can do it. These days, 3 minimum wages jobs can't pay one semester of your tuition. Time back then and now are totally different. So yes, get the fucking student loans. And pay it back at your convenient or as you can afford. Nobody was ever jailed for defaulting nonntheir student loan.

15 Likes

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Nobody: 4:46pm On May 13, 2020
pDudd:

Before you enter US, you must have planned that education is part of your plan in US. Education is what will protect you as a Nigerian in a foreign land.
Op are you through with school over there
But school over there na money only those Rich people can afford it
I don't think there's free tuition over there like Germany

1 Like

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by jamoyakz: 5:14pm On May 13, 2020
pDudd:

interesting so what about those that don't go back to school but end up as correctional officers or at most join the military any part way to success for those people?
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Mancala: 6:37pm On May 13, 2020
jamoyakz:
interesting so what about those that don't go back to school but end up as correctional officers or at most join the military any part way to success for those people?

Permit me to add some insight. To be successful in the U.S., you need to think long term. Being a corrections officer or joining the military in a non officer cadre is a good start, but you don't want to remain there. In my opinion, these jobs are a young mans game. Do you want to be working corrections and doing odd shifts in your 50's and beyond? If it's not a state position with a pension, will you earn enough to save a good amount in your 401k so you can retire when your strength or health starts to wane? In the military, the salaries are not that good compared to the private sector and the lifestyle is brutal. Looking from the Nigerian perspective, yes, they are a good start but you must look beyond the here and now.
I have friends who started in these jobs but went back to school to upgrade their educational qualifications. They are all doing very well today. The difference in income, potential and lifestyle is like night and day between both paths.

12 Likes

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Nobody: 6:50pm On May 13, 2020
Mancala:

Permit me to add some insight. To be successful in the U.S., you need to think long term. Being a corrections officer or joining the military in a non officer cadre is a good start, but you don't want to remain there. In my opinion, these jobs are a young mans game. Do you want to be working corrections and doing odd shifts in your 50's and beyond? If it's not a state position with a pension, will you earn enough to save a good amount in your 401k so you can retire when your strength or health starts to wane? In the military, the salaries are not that good compared to the private sector and the lifestyle is brutal. Looking from the Nigerian perspective, yes, they are a good start but you must look beyond the here and now.
I have friends who started in these jobs but went back to school to upgrade their educational qualifications. They are all doing very well today. The difference in income, potential and lifestyle is like night and day between both paths.

Thank you very much. You simplified it perfectly.

2 Likes

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:52pm On May 13, 2020
pDudd what of jobs in the tech industry? I know the USA does not lack tech talent but how can one get in? Very few jobs come with Visa sponsorships in the USA compared to countries like Japan or Germany. Would it be wise to focus on going to one developed nation with the hope of going to the USA later on? I really love the USA.

2 Likes

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Nobody: 6:53pm On May 13, 2020
jamoyakz:

The poster above just simplified it well.

Now let me put it simply in monetary terms. Right now, I earn more than 6 times what I was earning before going to school over here.

For example if I was earning $1000 every 2 weeks before I went to school, today i earn $6000 just because I went to school and I am working with less effort but earning more.

10 Likes

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Nobody: 6:56pm On May 13, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
pDudd what of jobs in the tech industry? I know the USA does not lack tech talent but how can one get in? Very few jobs come with Visa sponsorships in the USA compared to countries like Japan or Germany. Would it be wise to focus on going to one developed nation with the hope of going to the USA later on? I really love the USA.

Tech jobs are abundant here but very competitive. It is mainly dominated by Indians and Asians. Getting in is very competitive. The big money is made of you work in one of the big tech companies like google, Microsoft, apple, etc. But the smaller independent ones don't really pay much.

I work in healthcare and I can speak more about healthcare.

6 Likes

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:01pm On May 13, 2020
pDudd:

Tech jobs are abundant here but very competitive. It is mainly dominated by Indians and Asians. Getting in is very competitive. The big money is made of you work in one of the big tech companies like google, Microsoft, apple, etc. But the smaller independent ones don't really pay much.

I work in healthcare and I can speak more about healthcare.

Getting remote jobs that will allow one to work for an American company from the zoo is a bit easy. The hard one is getting a job that can make one leave. The country is getting worse each day.
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Nobody: 7:10pm On May 13, 2020
Next tip: Leave women alone.

Since the dawn of time, the female specie has always been a source of distraction, and the impending downfall of successful and powerful men. It is easier to fight a kingkong gorilla than it is to resist the wiles of a beautiful woman. If you have been able to resist the temptations of a beautiful woman, then you are one of the strongest men that ever lived.

If you want to end up in poverty and a slave, then when you get to US, please follow women cheesy. But if you don't, either get married and stick to your wife, or join the Vaseline crew. Women are a distraction to any man trying to succeed. They will come in different shapes and sizes. And it is much easier in our times because there are many apps that will facilitate you meeting women. And they look tempting.

These days it seems like every female in US has made it their duty to use see-through leggings to distract men from their goals. These leggings are worn by any and every one who ticks female as their preferred gender. The ones wey get yansh o, plus the ones wey nor get yansh o, all of them are wearing leggings. It seems these leggings are styled differently to accentuate the different part of the lower female anatomy. Some are tight in the crotch area, while some are lowly cut on the butt area to reveal butt crack. Some have see-through mesh on different areas of the leggings and are meant to give you a hint of what lies beneath.

But my brother, please run. Avoid women. Remember bhow you used to suffer and soak garri in Nigeria and wish that you could just leave Naija. Well, you have left naija now. It is time to start working on those great and lofty dreams you had back then. Leave these women with their leggings alone. Woman will come later. Infact they will be struggling to see how they will get your attention.

Work on your vision and dreams. If congee catch you, join the Vaseline crew. If Vaseline isn't enough for you, then get a friend with benefits. But protect yourself and your seed. Let one minute of pleasure not put you into 18+ of problems and slavery.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Holler01: 7:42pm On May 13, 2020
okay
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Nobody: 7:55pm On May 13, 2020
Holler01:

how possible is it to get a public health work in the US after doing ur master's maybe from a country in Europe

Depends on if the certificate is accepted in the US. You will still have to take the US certification boards though.
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by 2buffagain(m): 8:21pm On May 13, 2020
None of this matters as Trump has sha closed doors to Nigerians from entering his country.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Nobody: 8:34pm On May 13, 2020
2buffagain:
None of this matters as Trump has sha closed doors to Nigerians from entering his country.

The door won't be closed forever. It will open after election season.

4 Likes

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Nobody: 8:51pm On May 13, 2020
pDudd:

I pray he's not elected again for second term

1 Like

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Nobody: 8:58pm On May 13, 2020
ZINIBANKS:

I pray he shouldn't come to power again
If not is still the same story

He is going to win a second term.

16 Likes

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by 2buffagain(m): 9:02pm On May 13, 2020
pDudd:

That is assuming Trump doesn't win.
More white people than you know support and love that man.
They will vote for him undercover yet act like they hate him for social browny points.

Trump is the outlet to their inner white rage against other races.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Nobody: 9:03pm On May 13, 2020
2buffagain:

That is assuming Trump doesn't win.
More white people than you know support and love that man.
They will vote for him undercover yet act like they hate him for social browny points.

Trump is the outlet to their inner white rage against other races.

Most people of every color love Trump. What you see in California band New York and on CNN isn't the reality. America is a huge place and CNN coverage doesn't do it justice.

13 Likes

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Moheat(m): 9:15pm On May 13, 2020
What are the chances of someone who come in with a visit visa that finds a job and decide to go to school? Can that person get admission?
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Nobody: 9:18pm On May 13, 2020
pDudd:

Ah bro that's a curse now angry

3 Likes

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Moheat(m): 9:26pm On May 13, 2020
ZINIBANKS:

Ah bro that's a curse now angry

No be curse, na the reality. I hate to admit it but that's the truth. The white guys like him.

1 Like

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Nobody: 9:38pm On May 13, 2020
Moheat:

No be curse, na the reality. I hate to admit it but that's the truth. The white guys like him.

Not just white guys. People of different colors like him. Me too I like him.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by neurosci: 10:57pm On May 13, 2020
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by neurosci: 10:59pm On May 13, 2020
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Exmay02: 11:26pm On May 13, 2020
pDudd:

Confirm!!
Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Exmay02: 11:28pm On May 13, 2020
pDudd:

Most people of every color love Trump. What you see in California band New York and on CNN isn't the reality. America is a huge place and CNN coverage doesn't do it justice.

CNN is so fake, the station has turn to something else, on top Trump matter.

10 Likes

Re: How To Succeed As A Man In The US by Exmay02: 11:33pm On May 13, 2020
neurosci:
I agree with everything except the student loan part. Avoid student loans if you can. And yes, you can! There are very many opportunities out there to help you avoid loans. Don't drown yourself in debt. Life is better without debts!

Except you are politician pikin in naija, then affording US school fees is close to a mirage, taking loan to study is a norm, even a lot of American citizen can only survive schooling by taking loan.

It won't be bad if you can list out this your many opportunities aside limited offer for grants/funding through GRE/Scholarship.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

UK Universities That Accept £1000 Tuition Deposit For M.Sc. Programmes / Christmas: No Traveller Will Sleep On River Niger Bridge – FRSC Promises / Traffic Advisory: Lagos Women's Run Holds November 12th, 2022 (Tomorrow).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.