Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,658 members, 7,820,306 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed (2458 Views)

Dispatch Rider, Courier, Logistics Services In Lekki Ajah Lagos / First Bank Vs Dispatch Rider: N355 Million Fraud Scandal (Photo) / Jumia Dispatch Rider Punches & Manhandles Customer For Rejecting An Item (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by Viruses: 4:31pm On May 13, 2020
Is his dispatch rider using his head or has Lagos become so unfriendly for doing logistics/dispatch business?

I have a friend that runs a bike delivery business in Lagos. Every now and then, his rider will call that he has been arrested by task force for one paper or the other, that they have seized his bike, his key. That he should send money. This results in delays and expenses.

Every year, there are some papers he renew, there are others he renew every six months. Yet the rider comes with new papers periodically. The paper he was arrested for yesterday was mid-year permit by joint mid-year agency of Nigeria. I have googled that organization but found nothing about them. I mean he can't be forging these papers every now and then. The guy now has lots of papers and stickers and I know more will still come.

Is there a dispatch rider here or anyone that runs a dispatch business? Please share your experience and advice.

Re: Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by OBTMOS(m): 5:10pm On May 13, 2020
Hmmmm... front page
Re: Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by Petrodirect: 6:06pm On May 13, 2020
Most likely
Re: Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by Viruses: 10:03pm On May 13, 2020
Petrodirect:
Most likely
My thoughts exactly
Re: Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by Openbusiness: 10:55pm On May 13, 2020
Viruses:

My thoughts exactly
No, you're wrong. The rider is not the problem. That's how dispatch/ haulage / logistics is. It's a really big problem for the business and the government doesn't care because the people behind printing those things are usually their political touts and that's how they compensate them for using them to win elections. Those papers are 100% fake, there is no law backing it up, no agency of government it belongs to, neither is it under any local govt. It is just touts that go and print whatever rubbish that comes to their head from time to time, and then they go about harassing and extorting logistics / cargo transporters for money, and sometimes they bribe enforcement to help them arrest logistics transporters so it will look as if they are legit and have direct govt backing. And the reason why tour rider keeps having issues is that, when they print and sell a particular permit, once they see that most
logistics plying their hijack route have those papers, it means no more money to extort, so they will go and print another rubbish permit again with a different name,so they can be blocking and extorting people again. It's a huge problem all over the country, except in the North, it is even worst in the SE/SS region and a big setback for efficient and cost-effective logistics.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by drealcivilceno(m): 10:59pm On May 13, 2020
Openbusiness:

You are OP.. On point.
Re: Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by stagger: 11:15pm On May 13, 2020
Openbusiness:

No, you're wrong. The rider is not the problem. That's how dispatch/ haulage / logistics is. It's a really big problem for the business and the government doesn't care because the people behind printing those things are usually their political touts and that's how they compensate them for using them to win elections. Those papers are 100% fake, there is no law backing it up, no agency of government it belongs to, neither is it under any local govt. It is just touts that go and print whatever rubbish that comes to their head from time to time, and then they go about harassing and extorting logistics / cargo transporters for money, and sometimes they bribe enforcement to help them arrest logistics transporters so it will look as if they are legit and have direct govt backing. And the reason why tour rider keeps having issues is that, when they print and sell a particular permit, once they see that most
logistics plying their hijack route have those papers, it means no more money to extort, so they will go and print another rubbish permit again with a different name,so they can be blocking and extorting people again. It's a huge problem all over the country, except in the North, it is even worst in the SE/SS region and a big setback for efficient and cost-effective logistics.

Until the day a dispatch company owner puts out a price on the heads of some of these touts, mafia style, they will not stop.
Re: Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by Viruses: 11:28am On May 14, 2020
Openbusiness:

Those papers are 100% fake, there is no law backing it up, no agency of government it belongs to, neither is it under any local govt. It is just touts that go and print whatever rubbish that comes to their head from time to time, and then they go about harassing and extorting logistics / cargo transporters for money, and sometimes they bribe enforcement to help them arrest logistics transporters so it will look as if they are legit and have direct govt backing.

I'm sure you are right. I mean the name "mid-year agency of Nigeria" does not even make sense and the rider can't be forging and printing these certificates and tickets all the time.
Re: Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by SocialJustice: 1:55pm On May 14, 2020
Openbusiness:

Then logistics business owners should through their union go to court or make a formal complaint to the governor. They keep tolerating it that's why it is going on. Doing business in Nigeria is already hard enough.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by Openbusiness: 2:06pm On May 14, 2020
SocialJustice:
Then logistics business owners should through their union go to court or make a formal complaint to the governor. They keep tolerating it that's why it is going on. Doing business in Nigeria is already hard enough.
Formal complaint to which governor grin, is it the governor that the political touts help them win elections by snatching ballot box and attacking opposition? You think the government is not aware of those touts on the road? They know but only pretend, and they are the ones that allow them which territory to operate in as compensation to make money for themselves.
Re: Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by Openbusiness: 2:10pm On May 14, 2020
Viruses:

I'm sure you are right. I mean the name "mid-year agency of Nigeria" does not even make sense and the rider can't be forging and printing these certificates and tickets all the time.
Of course am right. Check the document na, can't you see plenty grammatical errors and nonsense statements there? It was printed by political touts, many of whom have only primary school education grin
Re: Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by SocialJustice: 2:14pm On May 14, 2020
Openbusiness:

Formal complaint to which governor grin, is it the governor that the political touts help them win elections by snatching ballot box and attacking opposition? You think the government is not aware of those touts on the road? They know but only pretend, and they are the ones that allow them which territory to operate in as compensation to make money for themselves.
There should be a limit. Touts must collect money but there must be a limit. They can even decide to start making payments to Lagos State directly or to NURTW through regularised tickets.

If the 2 options above fail, then they can go to court to compel government to do the right thing. Nigeria is not as lawless as you will want to believe.
Re: Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by Viruses: 2:18pm On May 14, 2020
Guys, the rider just called now that he has been arrested for MOT permit. Yesterday was joint mid-year permit.

Please which one is MOT permit again? this is the snapshot he sent

Re: Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by Openbusiness: 3:19pm On May 14, 2020
SocialJustice:
There should be a limit. Touts must collect money but there must be a limit. They can even decide to start making payments to Lagos State directly or to NURTW through regularised tickets.

If the 2 options above fail, then they can go to court to compel government to do the right thing. Nigeria is not as lawless as you will want to believe.
The government is already EXTORTING their own in the form various levies like radio/tv permit some local councils print, like mobile advert permit etc, but asides the government, their political touts are also printing all sorts of rubbish and extorting legitimate businesses and the govt knows, they just don't care, because it is their boys extorting the money. but by federal law, even state laws, everything they are doing is illegal, and by law, if they die in the process of trying to extort the public, their death is in vain. That's why they usually pick bad spots with bad roads to hide and perform their wicked works, because they know they stand a better chance of not being hit by motorists around bad roads. Can you imagine the rubbish those illiterate thieves printed, MID-YEAR AGENCY.... what the hell is a mid-year agency? grin
Re: Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by Openbusiness: 3:26pm On May 14, 2020
If you stand your ground and get them arrested, their political godfathers in local councils will bail them out, then plus you will still settle police something, so at the end you spend more, not to mention loss of time involved etc, those are the things those bastards capitalize on and turn themselves to demons on the road. The best time for logistics business in lagos is night time, from 11pm - 4am, but there is one big challenge with this time, SECURITY, but everything else favors. Then another thing is the people you want to deliver to will be locked away in their houses sleeping, some will have turn off their phones. This is the problem with night logistics, so daytime is the preferred mode for now, you just have to use experience riders that know how to avoid the tout devils with govt backing on the road
Re: Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by Openbusiness: 3:55pm On May 14, 2020
Viruses:
Guys, the rider just called now that he has been arrested for MOT permit. Yesterday was joint mid-year permit.

Welcome to Lagos! Government of the touts, by the touts for the touts, for 24/7 extortion grin, the number 1 killer of businesses in lagos is the LASG

1 Like

Re: Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by Viruses: 9:05pm On May 14, 2020
And that was how those touts ruined today for the rider. Delayed for how many hours and finally took the bike to Secretariat.
Re: Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by Palantir: 11:17am On May 15, 2020
Welcome to the life of a delivery service manager in Lagos.
Re: Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by Palantir: 9:44am On May 16, 2020
Viruses:

I think you have one of 2 problems here.

1. Your rider doesn't know enough. You also don't seem to know enough. Not an insult. Just that you are doing something no one taught you to do. You are going by your own wits and intelligence. The good news is that experience will teach you even more and you will get better as long as you don't give up.

So your guy doesn't know enough and these touts are taking advantage of him. It is the same thing I went through. I once had to pay a fine of 80k to LASTMA! What your rider should know is how to deal with these touts. Not everything na fight. Sometimes 1k will save a lot of stress. Other times, you need to have someone who can talk to them. A fellow tout but a senior tout. They call themselves "task force". You need someone like that on your side.

Some of these documents are dreamed up by these touts on a daily basis so you will definitely not know of all of them. That's why you need a senior task force person or LASTMA or MOT or something on your side that you can call in times like these.

2. Your rider is scamming you and you need a new one. No biggie, it has happened to all of us at one time or the other.

1 Like

Re: Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by Palantir: 9:22am On May 18, 2020
Viruses:
And that was how those touts ruined today for the rider. Delayed for how many hours and finally took the bike to Secretariat.

How did it go? Have you been able to retrieve the bike?
Re: Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by Viruses: 9:37am On May 18, 2020
Palantir:

How did it go? Have you been able to retrieve the bike?
Yes the bike has been retrieved. If I tell you the process, you won't be wrong to term me naive. Thing is I don't have time to do all these runs myself.

The rider came yesterday and claims there's no receipt for all the payments made except one. Even that one is not with him as he had to drop it with them to process the paper. And when he's talking, he sounds so sincere that you just have to believe him.

When I asked, I heard that the paper costs 5k, but I spent more than six times that amount all together. I'm spending more than I'm making honestly.
Re: Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by Palantir: 11:57am On May 18, 2020
Viruses:

Yes the bike has been retrieved. If I tell you the process, you won't be wrong to term me naive. Thing is I don't have time to do all these runs myself.

The rider came yesterday and claims there's no receipt for all the payments made except one. Even that one is not with him as he had to drop it with them to process the paper. And when he's talking, he sounds so sincere that you just have to believe him.

When I asked, I heard that the paper costs 5k, but I spent more than six times that amount all together. I'm spending more than I'm making honestly.

Lol. I'm laughing not because you have done anything wrong but because I see I'm not the only one who has suffered in this business. Heck I've decided to write an ebook on this!

Cheer up dude. We were all in this at one time and those of us that pushed through made it out the other side.

So I guess you have the ok paper now.

1 Like

Re: Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by Viruses: 1:40pm On May 18, 2020
I hope we are able to pull through this. Discouragement is already setting in bit by bit.
Re: Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by Viruses: 1:42pm On May 18, 2020
Palantir:

Lol. I'm laughing not because you have done anything wrong but because I see I'm not the only one who has suffered in this business. Heck I've decided to write an ebook on this!

Cheer up dude. We were all in this at one time and those of us that pushed through made it out the other side.

So I guess you have the ok paper now.
Not yet, they said he should go and collect it this week Friday. So till then, we may not work. I'd like to have further conversation with you in private. Is that okay?
Re: Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by Palantir: 2:24pm On May 18, 2020
Viruses:

Not yet, they said he should go and collect it this week Friday. So till then, we may not work. I'd like to have further conversation with you in private. Is that okay?

Very ok
Re: Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by Viruses: 5:47pm On May 18, 2020
Palantir:

Very ok
I've sent you PM.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Is His Dispatch Rider Using His Head? Advice Needed by Viruses: 7:44am On May 20, 2020
More opinions are welcome

(1) (Reply)

Project Management Professional Exam Demystified! / Obtaining Long Term Loans In Nigeria / Used 510 Kva Dorman Generator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.