Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,790 members, 7,851,668 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 04:52 AM

The World's 7th Richest Man Is Now Broke - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The World's 7th Richest Man Is Now Broke (840 Views)

How Jeff Bezos Beat Bill Gates To Become The Current Richest Man / Amancio Ortega Becomes The Richest Man In The World / Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The World's 7th Richest Man Is Now Broke by amoreobansu: 12:06am On May 14, 2020
Eike Fuhrken Batista da Silva (“Eike Batista”), the former Brazilian billionaire, is, without doubt, the world’s most spectacular example of an individual who very rapidly accumulated tremendous wealth and then lost everything without any possibility of recovery.

Achieving a net worth of $35 billion by 2012, Batista briefly became the world’s 7th richest person. However, within just 18 months thereof, he lost literally everything and clearly has no prospect of recovery, ever. In fact, by 2014, it was estimated that his personal net worth had declined to negative $1 billion. Further eliminating any possible chance for recovery, Batista was sentenced to 30 years in prison on federal bribery charges. Given that Batista is now 63, he will likely spend the rest of his life in prison.

Batista’s wealth was derived from his founding of EBX Group, which, in turn, was a major shareholder in other companies that he had created, the most noteworthy of which were: OGX (oil & gas), MMX (mining), OSX (shipbuilding), and CCX (coal mining). Unlike other Brazilian billionaires, who aggressively seek to avoid public attention, Batista essentially became Brazil’s first “business celebrity,” publicly proclaiming to the masses that he would become the richest man in the world within just a few years.

In 2013, OGX, Batista’s Brazilian offshore oil producer, declared bankruptcy after it became clear that the company had vastly overstated both its offshore oil reserves and its production capabilities. OSX, whose primary customer was OGX, then also declared bankruptcy; thus, accelerating the implosion of Batista’s empire.

I was a curious observer of Batista’s superstitions and mild obsession with numerology. Every single company he founded had an X as the last character and I distinctly recall that the last part of his personal phone number was a series of 6s. I often wonder whether he would attribute his misfortunes and tremendous losses to bad luck.

I came to know Batista peripherally while I lived in Rio de Janeiro in the mid-2000s. At the time, I was also a shipowner in Brazil and, like Batista, I am also a German speaker (a rarity in Brazil).

-Blake Helppie

Re: The World's 7th Richest Man Is Now Broke by chillex8(m): 12:08am On May 14, 2020
Vanity crew. Food don show cheesy

1 Like

Re: The World's 7th Richest Man Is Now Broke by poshestmina(f): 12:12am On May 14, 2020
Hard to believe though.

That Kain money dey reach 7th generations undecided
Re: The World's 7th Richest Man Is Now Broke by joejah33: 12:34am On May 14, 2020
According to geography, the earth rotates. Pray it doesn't turn you to the bad side
Re: The World's 7th Richest Man Is Now Broke by Nobody: 12:36am On May 14, 2020
Impossicant..
His friends will help him out..
Or he should be appointed Head Coach of Super Higi and you automatically land on money.

(1) (Reply)

Adire Silk Available For Sale @ Wholesale And Retail Price / Naira Is Dying... / Be A Marketer With Us From The Comfort Of Your Home!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.