Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,163 members, 7,811,366 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:20 AM

Hausa-fulani Tirbal Marks - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Hausa-fulani Tirbal Marks (15364 Views)

Beautiful Hausa /fulani Girls ....( Photos) / Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? / Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hausa-fulani Tirbal Marks by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jan 14, 2011
I think the thing that different these groups and the Yoruba people of West Africa from the rest of Nigeria is our tribal marks.

If you want to know the history behind each group's tribal mark. . . .let me know.

I'll be posting some soon enough!
Re: Hausa-fulani Tirbal Marks by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jan 14, 2011
Re: Hausa-fulani Tirbal Marks by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jan 14, 2011
The fula

Re: Hausa-fulani Tirbal Marks by Tsiya(m): 8:04pm On Jan 14, 2011
The genesis of the Fula tribal marks was for identification. At some point in history every clan/village have their distinct tribal marks and that made it easy for either of them to identify their kith and kin in the event of invation, war, getting lost, or captured for slavery. But later, the capitalist among them started ripping them off by being creative and making unnecessary tatoos on their bodies, especiall the women. At a time in some villages close to our village, women with better looking catoons are valued possessions and are more expensive marry. Most of these things now are dying. Thank God, our Dad did not allow tribal marks, but a lot of my cousins have them. Very distincts.
Re: Hausa-fulani Tirbal Marks by Alcofrybas(m): 12:05am On Jan 15, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I think the thing that different these groups and the Yoruba people of West Africa from the rest of Nigeria is our tribal marks.

If you want to know the history behind each group's tribal mark. . . .let me know.

I'll be posting some soon enough!

Tsiya:

The genesis of the Fula tribal marks was for identification. At some point in history every clan/village have their distinct tribal marks and that made it easy for either of them to identify their kith and kin in the event of invation, war, getting lost, or captured for slavery. But later, the capitalist among them started ripping them off by being creative and making unnecessary tatoos on their bodies, especiall the women. At a time in some villages close to our village, women with better looking catoons are valued possessions and are more expensive marry. Most of these things now are dying. Thank God, our Dad did not allow tribal marks, but a lot of my cousins have them. Very distincts.

Hello to both of you.

I am a non-Nigerian. I recently joined this forum because I am interested in learning about Nigerian culture.

I have been participating in a forum (A Catalogue of diversity), posted by a user who left Nigeria at a very early age, and who also wishes to learn about Nigerian culture by "conversing with particular individuals who can best provide me with a wealth of information" (Quote). Others who joined the forum expressed similar wishes.

I tried to contribute to the aforementioned thread, to the best of my abilities, but since I'm a foreigner, my knowledge of the subjetc is very poor indeed, and my contributions  are certainly not the best  undecided.

I was wondering if you would kindly lend me a hand, if it's possible for you to do so.

I'm particularly impressed by your threads, Ileke-IdI. I would also like to ask you some questions about websites, books, and any other sources from which I can learn.

Thank you for your attention.

Kind regards,
Re: Hausa-fulani Tirbal Marks by Nobody: 1:01am On Jan 15, 2011
Tsiya:

Ooh, thanks for the explanation  kiss
I thought you were Yorub tho. . . . are tribal marks still rampant in Fulani lands?

Alcofrybas:

Hello to both of you.

I am a non-Nigerian. I recently joined this forum because I am interested in learning about Nigerian culture.

I have been participating in a forum (A Catalogue of diversity), posted by a user who left Nigeria at a very early age, and who also wishes to learn about Nigerian culture by "conversing with particular individuals who can best provide me with a wealth of information" (Quote). Others who joined the forum expressed similar wishes.

I tried to contribute to the aforementioned thread, to the best of my abilities, but since I'm a foreigner, my knowledge of the subjetc is very poor indeed, and my contributions  are certainly not the best   undecided.

I was wondering if you would kindly lend me a hand, if it's possible for you to do so.

I'm particularly impressed by your threads, Ileke-IdI. I would also like to ask you some questions about websites, books, and any other sources from which I can learn.

Thank you for your attention.

Kind regards,

Ohh, I feel so honored. Thank you.

If you're going to learn, I'd suggest you not read wikipedia. Because often times, the information are incorrect or [b]adulterated [/b]by significant individuals.

Let me know the particular tribe you're interested in to narrow down the list of websites and information that may be helpful to you.

No, thank [b]you [/b]for your show of interest.
Re: Hausa-fulani Tirbal Marks by Nobody: 1:30am On Jan 15, 2011

The tribal marks below are quite similar to those of the Ibadan tribals marks. Ibadan people reside in the SW (Yorubaland) part of NIgeria kiss

[img]http://alum.mit.edu/pages/sliceofmit/files/2009/05/hausa-girl_510.jpg[/img]
Re: Hausa-fulani Tirbal Marks by Nobody: 1:38am On Jan 15, 2011
Re: Hausa-fulani Tirbal Marks by Nobody: 1:55am On Jan 15, 2011
Re: Hausa-fulani Tirbal Marks by Alcofrybas(m): 2:27am On Jan 15, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Ohh, I feel so honored. Thank you.

If you're going to learn, I'd suggest you not read wikipedia. Because often times, the information are incorrect or [b]adulterated [/b]by significant individuals.

Let me know the particular tribe you're interested in to narrow down the list of websites and information that may be helpful to you.

No, thank [b]you [/b]for your show of interest.

You're welcome smiley

I am aware both wikipedia and youtube are somehow limited. That's why I'm asking for your help. Needless to say, Nigerians are the most authoritative source about Nigerian culture.

I am particularly interested in Kanuris, Fulanis, Shuwa arabs and Hausas.

Information about all the other ethnic groups in your country would also be very welcome. One day at a time!!!

Thank you very much again, and good morning. It's 9 p.m. on this side of the planet.
Re: Hausa-fulani Tirbal Marks by Nobody: 6:05am On Jan 15, 2011
Alcofrybas:

You're welcome smiley

I am aware both wikipedia and youtube are somehow limited. That's why I'm asking for your help. Needless to say, Nigerians are the most authoritative source about Nigerian culture.

I am particularly interested in Kanuris, Fulanis, Shuwa arabs and Hausas.

Information about all the other ethnic groups in your country would also be very welcome. One day at a time!!!

Thank you very much again, and good morning. It's 9 p.m. on this side of the planet.

Nice okay. I'm not really from the Hausa-Fula tribe, I'm a Yoruba. So my knowledge about them is a little bit rusty.

However, I'll try my best . . . .I'll see what I can look up and paste together on a thread this weekend.

Lol we're both on the same side of the planet. EastCoast, I presume?
Re: Hausa-fulani Tirbal Marks by Nobody: 6:09am On Jan 15, 2011
Re: Hausa-fulani Tirbal Marks by Nobody: 6:13am On Jan 15, 2011

Re: Hausa-fulani Tirbal Marks by Alcofrybas(m): 1:57pm On Jan 15, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Nice okay. I'm not really from the Hausa-Fula tribe, I'm a Yoruba. So my knowledge about them is a little bit rusty.

However, I'll try my best . . . .I'll see what I can look up and paste together on a thread this weekend.

Lol we're both on the same side of the planet. EastCoast, I presume?

Hello again. Please take your time, don't worry.

Yes we're on the same side of the planet, in my case, South America smiley

¿Yoruba?. I think you're the most famous Nigerian ethnic group in Latin America, Brazil and the Caribbean islands. Any information on the Youruba people would also be very welcome. But once again, please take your time. I don't want to be annoying.

Thank you very much once again.

King regards

(1) (Reply)

What Does The Igbo Notion Of "Your Personal CHI" Represent? / Emir Sanusi Celebrates 2 Years In Power / Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.