Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,473 members, 7,819,723 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:42 PM

Job Hunting At An Estate Firm: My Experience - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Job Hunting At An Estate Firm: My Experience (340 Views)

5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria / Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? / Some Fun While Job Hunting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Job Hunting At An Estate Firm: My Experience by sosa993: 5:37pm On May 15, 2020
I don’t know what I was expecting o? Okay, let me get it out, I applied for this job because I needed to work as an estate manager. Right? Isn’t that the normal thing?

Finish school and work and don’t forget, get married.

Wait, let me go back to how I got the job offer. I finished my service last year 2019 and it was pretty exciting for me to print out my cv and share it to offices.

And that’s what I did.

A week after finishing service, I took a bike and started roaming the streets of Ibadan to share my CV to people who could give me a job.

Fast forward to a month after or so, I got a call.

“Hello,” a calm voice came from the other end and the woman quickly introduced herself and told me she got my cv. “Would you be available for the interview today?”

Ehn? Why not, I said in my mind. “Yes ma.”

Luckily and unluckily for me, the venue for interview was pretty close to my house so it was pretty walkable.

Sharp sharp, I had my bath, got my low heels on, a nice pants and decent shirt.

In minutes, I got to the venue. Note: I don’t know if it’s weird to get to a venue for an interview too early. Does it make you look desperate? Well, I’m not a professional sha so I don’t know.

The woman told me to tell the gateman I’m asking for Mrs. R. That is the first letter of her name and she refers to herself as a property management guru. Lmao.

Anyway, she interviewed me late because she came about forty five minutes after I got to the venue.

So, she took my cv and read through it. Remember I already submitted my cv to her long before the interview.

“Your cv is useless to me?” She looked at me.

My jaw almost dropped on the floor. If she thinks my cv is useless shey I’m not useless like this?

She continued. “Why would you do your industrial training at the ministry of works? Why not an estate firm?”

What?!!! I was looking at this woman like, “what is wrong with her?”

I did my industrial training at the ministry of works in Akure, at the department of estate management so what the hell is the problem?

I didn’t know that moshenmu eyé bolapo ni. Ehehe. Meaning we were just getting started.

That one already drained all my confidence. Then we started the interview proper and then boom, she told me to mention all my lecturers’ name. I was happy o, because in my mind I was mentioning their names and the males were plenty on the list.

She asked why I mentioned mostly males. I knew exactly what she was driving at. In my mind, I’m saying this woman doesn’t know I usually sat at the back of the class back in school to avoid any lecturer’s attention. So she shouldn’t even have those crazy thoughts towards me.

I smiled. I do that sometimes when I’m angry but I know I can’t say a word.

So I kept smiling like an idiot then she said. “You didn’t mention the major name I wanted you to mention.”

Then went on to ramble about my inability to mention my lecturers’ names. “Woman, I have freaking mentioned their names!!!”

I didn’t dare say it to her face o. I said it in my head. Then she mentioned her name. “Dr. O.”

“I expected you to mention her name,” she ranted and ranted. But in my head, I know that woman but we all gave her a nickname back in school and I wasn’t about to say the nickname out loud. To cut the long story short, she knew some of my lecturers.

Then she asked for my gp and I said. “2. —”

She didn’t even allow me to finish o. I had second class lower and I’m proud of myself. I did this as a freaking loner back in school.

Then she went on to talk abut her disappointment in me because as a woman, I should know women weren’t common in the field blah blah blah.

She knew I was into writing and blogging. And so, she slammed me with it. She said I allowed blogging to take a space in my brain and now I might not be able to work as an estate manager. What she doesn’t know is this: even if I work for anyone; government o, private company o, I will always settle down later in life to be a writer.

She asked me why I served in Ibadan and said I must’ve “worked it.” Note that the story about my service year was a terrible one. So stay tuned for that.

She said I was spoilt. What really pissed me off the most is the fact that she called herself a property management guru. Smh. Who boasts that way?

https://dearweekly..com/2020/05/job-hunting-at-estate-firm-my-experience.html?m=1
Re: Job Hunting At An Estate Firm: My Experience by manny4u(m): 7:08pm On May 15, 2020
Lolzzz!!! You're welcome to the real world, but don't let that pull your confidence down, most first interviews are always like that but will prepare you for the greatness ahead of you.
Some so called interviewers can be very petty sometimes. I have some experience myself but at the end you will thank your stars that you were not even offered the job in the first place.

1 Like

Re: Job Hunting At An Estate Firm: My Experience by slaypapa: 7:14pm On May 15, 2020
This ur story no sweet abeg lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Job Hunting At An Estate Firm: My Experience by sosa993: 9:49pm On May 15, 2020
manny4u:
Lolzzz!!! You're welcome to the real world, but don't let that pull your confidence down, most first interviews are always like that but will prepare you for the greatness ahead of you.
Some so called interviewers can be very petty sometimes. I have some experience myself but at the end you will thank your stars that you were not even offered the job in the first place.

Lol. Serious real world o. You know the funniest thing, she offered me a job but said she cannot pay up to 30k. Imagine. She said I’ve never had an experience working at a firm so I should manage any amount.
Re: Job Hunting At An Estate Firm: My Experience by danny34(m): 3:29pm On May 16, 2020
Run from people who try to run down your self esteem. Its is intentional, they get you to think that you are never good at anything you do or can never do anything go. You never get to grow under them. Flee from that woman!

1 Like

Re: Job Hunting At An Estate Firm: My Experience by sosa993: 3:33pm On May 16, 2020
danny34:
Run from people who try to run down your self esteem. Its is intentional, they get you to think that you are never good at anything you do or can never do anything go. You never get to grow under them. Flee from that woman!

She told me to contact her if I’d be interested. I didn’t even bother.

(1) (Reply)

Vacancies At Suru Alaba, Ejigbo, Oshodi &others / Sales Assistant Needed In A Fashion Store In Ikoyi / Online Sales And Marketing Job Opportunity!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.