Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,939 members, 7,821,294 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time (68859 Views)

Meeting Your In-law For Marriage: 6 Questions To Expect As A Guy / Indian Man To Sue His Parents For Giving Birth To Him Without His Consent / Italy-Based Nigerian Man Jails His Parents For Sending Him Pics Of Fake House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Nobody: 8:20pm On May 21, 2020
roliks99:

Lols.......why on earth would you wantu hold a Condom to your in-laws house grin grin grin grin
you never can't tell oo
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by thinkmoney(m): 8:24pm On May 21, 2020
iamyemiakins:
SEVEN THINGS YOU SHOULD NOT DO WHEN MEETING YOUR PARTNER'S PARENTS FOR THE FIRST TIME.

This is a major step in a relationship, so the first impression can be a lasting impression, believe me when I say that.

1. PLAYING WITH YOUR PHONE

Avoid being on your phone, texting, checking your mail, facebooking or chatting. Sometimes most of us do it unknowingly. It is true some chicks do that just to keep themselves busy, but your spouse parents might feel dismissed and think you are not interested in getting to know them, especially, So avoid your phone at that first time.

2. LIE TO MAKE YOURSELF LOOK GOOD

Being fake instead of who you truly are is a mistake that can upset your partner's parents, and even your partner. Remember, they may get to know who you are later or in your absence, and it could really hurt your relationship. If you have told your partner the truth about you and your partner has accepted the kind of person you are, his/her parents should be able to do same. So there is no need of lying to attract their likeness.

3. BRINGING UP A CONTROVERSIAL TOPIC FOR DISCUSSION

Please don't bring up a topic like Religion, Politics, or s3x for discussion, even if you know that your believe are in line with your partner's parents. Some people still consider it bad for bringing up such topic for discussion before them. Concentrate on getting to know them more rather than those topics. If they keep discussing such topic among themselves, do more of listening.

4. DON'T GIVE LONG SPEECHES, MAKE YOUR SPEECHES BRIEF

Despite the fact that they are very interested in getting to know you, they also do not want to spend the entire time listening to your life story. Don't tell them stories about how your father divorced your mother when you were a teenager, how your community people burnt a woman to ashes for insulting her hubby, and all that. Make your speeches brief and interesting.

5. PUBLIC DISPLAY AFFECTION

Yes, public display of affection can be wonderful,but there is appropriate time for it. This does not mean you have to become cold, distant and robotic. Feel relaxed, interact with them gently, smile and be friendly, but make it neutral, rather than behaving as if you are desperate to have them as in laws.

6. DON'T FINISH ANY FOOD GIVEN TO YOU

Whether the food is small or plenty, and no matter how delicious it is. Never ask for alcohol if you are asked to make a choice of drink. Don't be carried away. This is very important.

7. DON'T PASS THE NIGHT THERE

No matter the persuation, don't pass the night in their house on your first day of visit.

You can also add yours...

https://m.facebook.com/103658061331200/posts/7-things-you-should-not-do-when-meeting-your-partners-parents-for-the-first-time/120618422968497/
I concur with the rest except no. 6.
I don't see the merit in not finishing the food. as a principle, I don't like waist, except if the food is really much
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Reeberry: 8:26pm On May 21, 2020
GboyegaD:
All this too many rules kwa. There are many things to bother about than trying to fit into a box.
The list is helpful a lot. How old are you?
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Doyin2(m): 8:27pm On May 21, 2020
iamyemiakins:
SEVEN THINGS YOU SHOULD NOT DO WHEN MEETING YOUR PARTNER'S PARENTS FOR THE FIRST TIME.

This is a major step in a relationship, so the first impression can be a lasting impression, believe me when I say that.

Avoid being on your phone, texting, checking your mail, facebooking or chatting. Sometimes most of us do it unknowingly. It is true some chicks do that just to keep themselves busy, but your spouse parents might feel dismissed and think you are not interested in getting to know them, especially, So avoid your phone at that first time.

Being fake instead of who you truly are is a mistake that can upset your partner's parents, and even your partner. Remember, they may get to know who you are later or in your absence, and it could really hurt your relationship. If you have told your partner the truth about you and your partner has accepted the kind of person you are, his/her parents should be able to do same. So there is no need of lying to attract their likeness.

Please don't bring up a topic like Religion, Politics, or s3x for discussion, even if you know that your believe are in line with your partner's parents. Some people still consider it bad for bringing up such topic for discussion before them. Concentrate on getting to know them more rather than those topics. If they keep discussing such topic among themselves, do more of listening.

Despite the fact that they are very interested in getting to know you, they also do not want to spend the entire time listening to your life story. Don't tell them stories about how your father divorced your mother when you were a teenager, how your community people burnt a woman to ashes for insulting her hubby, and all that. Make your speeches brief and interesting.

Yes, public display of affection can be wonderful,but there is appropriate time for it. This does not mean you have to become cold, distant and robotic. Feel relaxed, interact with them gently, smile and be friendly, but make it neutral, rather than behaving as if you are desperate to have them as in laws.

Whether the food is small or plenty, and no matter how delicious it is. Never ask for alcohol if you are asked to make a choice of drink. Don't be carried away. This is very important.

No matter the persuation, don't pass the night in their house on your first day of visit.

https://m.facebook.com/103658061331200/posts/7-things-you-should-not-do-when-meeting-your-partners-parents-for-the-first-time/120618422968497/

No 6 is nonsensical hypocrisy and contradictional elucidation.

When did wasting of food become a pleasantry?

Do you deliberately don't finish your food at home?

Total hogwash.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Dollabiz: 8:29pm On May 21, 2020
ok
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by FortuneDeGreat(m): 8:32pm On May 21, 2020
Chinny024:
Don't wear skin revealing clothe.. Dress modestly and not Takpas!!!
So in stead of 042, you decided to go with 024, I love your vibes, coal camp representing.
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by LesbianBoy(m): 8:32pm On May 21, 2020
This is why you should hustle ooooooooo

When you hustle even if you do anyhow and you leave and the lady's parent have a complain about you, the lady you intend to marry will defend you with all her strength before her parents grin grin grin grin
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by senatepresido: 8:40pm On May 21, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr Isoright
Bros op just dey talk anyhow Na you say make we nor pretend and fake anything for number 2 But na you dey also yarn now make we nor finish the food and reject alcohol
Eat everything if you are hungry
And also accept your bottles if available

well said ma nigga

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by professore(m): 8:47pm On May 21, 2020
Nice post
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by GboyegaD(m): 8:49pm On May 21, 2020
Reeberry:
The list is helpful a lot. How old are you?

In case of next time, you should be reasonable when writing. While to you it is helpful doesn't mean it has to be for everyone. For reference, I am married and I have learned to live by my principles and those who like it do and don't who do not, I can't force them to.
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by yesboss20(m): 8:52pm On May 21, 2020
Commentary on this thread has been both expected and stinky. The sheer number of guys hammering on point 6 reveals why we've got such a spike in bear-bellies in our society.

Are men so hungry or unashamedly shameless whenever food is set before us? The path to paradise isn't in the gut, is it? I nod in disapproval.

Biases are like opinions: everybody has one and they are often what they are, fickle and otherwise.
Alas, a disciplined man would be vexed at wasting food while a cultured mother might get displeased that her daughter's suitor feeds like a refugee!

Nevertheless, this is no one-size-fits-all therapy. Wisdom evolves with the gathering of knowledge.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by DonroxyII: 8:52pm On May 21, 2020
iamyemiakins:

Ama do how I like .. I'm there son ! Ama pass d night too ... no shiii

I will also finish d food given to me , na only bone I no go chop ... Na who formalty help.....

2, 3, 4 and 5 are very sensible though.
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by lamex20(m): 8:55pm On May 21, 2020
MightySirKay:
What if your net worth is not up to their wardrobe allowance?

Lobatan ooooo
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by neutrotoba(m): 8:59pm On May 21, 2020
Ask for the family's photo album, that's a great way of bonding, there would be stories behind each photo and they'd be very proud to tell you about them.

You just smile and nod and give compliments where necessary
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Victorkenz35(m): 9:20pm On May 21, 2020
uncleFola:
Oga, u see that your No 6 ehn..... I can try not to finish any food given to me..... but make person come offer me some over chilled Green bottles or Vodka with ice make I come say No..... ah e go hard small o.
mutuary standard ���
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by abbiboy: 9:41pm On May 21, 2020
7 very key!
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Achizzy7: 9:46pm On May 21, 2020
All dis are not important if u r loaded abeg...

imagine say u enter ur inlaw hus wit lambrogini !!

her father go give u him own chair make u sit down 😂😂😂
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Omoejigbahe(m): 9:54pm On May 21, 2020
Don't pass the night? Even if it's far away in a village. Story
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by iosasbabe: 9:56pm On May 21, 2020
imohchard:
lol

I DISAGREE strongly with 6.

I feel you should act normal with people you intend to be family with.

Reminds me of a friend of mine, was dating a lady from a very religious family.

On their first date, he took her to a spot. He ordered 2 bottles of Beer for himself. Babe was irritated.
She came back home and told her mom. Her mom, being a wise person, told her to marry that guy. Because he would never pretend or hide anything from her.

They've been married for 10 years now.... And the lady is now a brewery herself. grin grin grin grin wink wink wink

Kudo to her mum .... wise mum of life
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Eminibaaleomomo: 10:05pm On May 21, 2020
MightySirKay:
y

LOBATAN....end of formble. EOF
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Nobody: 10:14pm On May 21, 2020
Lamanii22:
Never complain about the food given to you.... Just eat it with love...
Weda na poison Abi?
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Nobody: 10:15pm On May 21, 2020
Don't talk too much,
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Annonymox: 10:17pm On May 21, 2020
MightySirKay:

Atleast you'll match up yur personal lifestyle
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by profilemessages: 10:20pm On May 21, 2020
See how people are packaging lies just because of their fellow human being.

How will it be if it were God they wanted to meet?
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Emmaskill(m): 10:21pm On May 21, 2020
SweetCunt97:
Never use the toilet! No matter how the shit pushes, hold it until you get home.
If person come shit for bdy nkor? Na dat one badooo.
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by AbisolaOba: 10:38pm On May 21, 2020
U fit mess join am self
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Tonysmith4sure(m): 11:14pm On May 21, 2020
SweetCunt97:
Never use the toilet! No matter how the shit pushes, hold it until you get home.

Are you for real? Because she be robot okwaya
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Chinny024(f): 11:18pm On May 21, 2020
Greyworld:

please dear what's takpas?

Lol...One leggings that almost close to nylon..very light!!
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Chinny024(f): 11:21pm On May 21, 2020
cheesy
Tankotanko:

Because if you reveal unnecessarily, the huge rod will protest, and parents will be afraid, and think their DotA womb go shift by fire by force o
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Chinny024(f): 11:22pm On May 21, 2020
Tankotanko:

Because if you reveal unnecessarily, the huge rod will protest, and parents will be afraid, and think their DotA womb go shift by fire by force o
grin cheesy
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by OyinO: 12:19am On May 22, 2020
Money answereth ALL THINGS! Money opens and closes all doors. With money, all the rules can be broken and new ones set. And the in-laws will obey! Money is the God of the Earth which every human bows to, worships and obeys!
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Ibmswapzer(m): 2:56am On May 22, 2020
Please i need some advice...am a student and am meeting my girl's dad this Sunday..am so nervous nd also the shy type.
I don't know if I should inform my mum cos she isn't aware of the relationship.
What are the likely things i should expect?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Single Neighbor Came Knocking At My Door Late In The Night / 4 Things You Should Learn To Avoid About Women, If You Want To Live Long / How Do We Eradicate "cultism" In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.