Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,167 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:28 AM

Palliative, People And Politics. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Palliative, People And Politics. (171 Views)

Father Kukah Must Be Allowed To Practise His Faith And Politics - Garba Shehu / Sanwo-Olu And Politics Of Okada Ban / Zulum: Boko Haram Is Attacking People And You Are Collecting N1,000 Per Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Palliative, People And Politics. by Kenmatt(m): 9:24pm On May 16, 2020
Greetings to you all.

The word Palliative has been a trending words these time round to the extent that people now associate it with politics. No wonder I overheard an Old woman on the street lamenting that she could not register in order to get her palliative.

It won't surprise you to see the que and the manner people struggle to get this so called palliatives, not excluding the old and the young.

It is disheartening that many people in Nigeria, including government officials, NGO and the populace do not know what a Palliative is, as a result, it saddens my heart whenever I see pictures like the one we all saw captioned "What Television and Radio workers got as Palliatives in Enugu" on Nairaland.

You may be tempted to ask if I am a sadist? Not at all.

Merriam Webstre defines palliative as something that is intended to make a situation seem better but that does not really improve the situation.

Analytically, a palliative is something that should be offered to alleviate a detoriated situation temporary. Thus: an ugly or miserable condition, make it up to look cool, just for a while.

In this case, the burning question is, who needs a palliative?

A palliative is to be given to the venerable, handicapped, less privilege, those that eat from hand to mouth who have nothing at all doing or something but their earnings are abysmally low.

It is not what some people like those we saw their pictures on the said thread should be queing for, men and women with designers attire, pot bellies, people that their accounts are credited at the end of each month.

If any of you have observed the news flying all over for some days now, A group who called themselves NigerDelta youths are pleading with Mr. President to mandate NDDC not to hand over the palliatives NDDC has prepared for the people of NiggerDelta to the governors in NigerDelta.

Imagine a situation whereby able bodied youths and state governors are competing for palliatives. No wonder so many people have resorted to take it that any thing about Corvid-19 is nothing but Politics.
Re: Palliative, People And Politics. by meetme01: 9:31pm On May 16, 2020
I corrected my agency on this same word. It was changed to - relief materials-. That seems much better than "pallatives"
Re: Palliative, People And Politics. by FlordFlorez(m): 9:42pm On May 16, 2020
Nigerians can politicize anything.
Re: Palliative, People And Politics. by popp(m): 9:49pm On May 16, 2020
Palliative is a house hold name now.

I was in a particular location, the people of that place is a hosting community to some companies and industries.

I was just listening to the manner these people were taking note of the Companies and Industries that have given them their Palliatives, I was astonished.

(1) (Reply)

PDP Anambra State Post Covid-19 Lockdown Intervention Of #120 Million / Reps Ask FG To Set Up N15b Emergency Fund / Osun Empowers 6,000 Farmers, Flags Off 2020 Planting Season

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.