Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,554 members, 7,812,778 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:10 PM

Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria (37228 Views)

Total Sharia Implementation : APC And Buhari Using Kaduna As a "Test Ground" / Buhari Calls For A Total Sharia In Nigeria (Published 2001) / Buhari Called For Total Sharia In Nigeria In 2001 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by safariSA: 12:59pm On Jan 17, 2011
bisiaet !

you sound as if the report you just read was written today. it was in 2001! men, i laugh over people's gullibility
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Jakumo(m): 1:02pm On Jan 17, 2011
oyb:

dude, only one misstep, really ?

what about asking us to pray that the december bombers confess?

what about attributing the october and december bombings to 'demons'

what about his callous 'the show must go on' disregard for nigerians in the october 1 bombing
(MEND had issued a warning at least a week before. our government did not issue any warning, or alert whatsoever, but engaged in a clandestine bungled ' i can't stand the rain' attempt at containment. in any other nation gej would have had to resign for such high handed disregard for his constituents. in nigeria, he tried to turn it political attempting to rope in his perceived competitor, ibb )

Oyb, the only rationale that I can discern for seeking to assign blame for every criminal act that occurs while ANY given president is in office would be a futile hope borne out of desperation, to discredit that leader, by political opponents who are reduced to clutching at straws in search of non-existent scandals to bring the object of their displeasure down.  Extrapolating the logic of your argument further into absurdity, should we also blame President Goodluck for all home-invasion and bank robberies that took place in Nigeria since he assumed office ?

From day one of his tenure as Nigerian president, there has never been a shred of proof linking incumbent Nigerian President Johnny Goodluck with any act of terrorism within Nigeria's territorial boundaries, and beyond that, there is absolutely NO reason why a sitting president who is well on his way to earning a second term in office would sponsor bombings or any other destabilizing act of terror.  

By the way I join you in mourning the untimely passing of Nairaland contributor Bawomolo, whose sense of humor I greatly miss.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by DeeJay20: 1:03pm On Jan 17, 2011
cap28:

I also agree with what  you say about Buhari's personal qualities - he does come across as disciplined and reasonably honest in comparison to the likes of OBJ and Jonathan  - thats why i added a further comment above about who i would chose if it were between Jonathan and Buhari.  On the whole we need  a fresh and younger more radical breed of leaders who have not been corrupted by power as i think its now time for these old men to accept that they have nothing new to offer the nigerian people.  

The way i see it is that with all the arguements and jostling
for position as President and supporters of "would be president"
in cabinet/Top Diplomatic & Bureau positions,
the  powers that be (The West) do not want to rock the boat,
In this current climate of Terrorism and its Stigma on Islam "The West" do not
want a Northern Nigerian in "Aso Rock", so they would rather go with
Johnathan,

That my Realist Analytical Position, and with all these Boko-Haram
(Def:Western or non-Islamic education is a sin, Imagine that!!!)

factions running around with "mis-placed zeal" [/b]in Northern Nigeria
i guess this is like a real NO NO!!! for any so called Northen President to
to win come April 2011.

[b]I just cant see it happening, Its gonna be Johnathan for the
Next four years till 2015.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Emmron(m): 1:03pm On Jan 17, 2011
bisiaet:

I'm most dissappointed in Buhari I can not belief it that someone of Buhari in the present dispensation in Nigeria could say this so that means this man is one of the faceless supporters of this mad stuff called sharia wonders shall never ends now I can see why some state remain adamant on this issue now I now who was the big guy behind it.

So in this present world in Nigeria where the margin between christain is not that wide nearly 50/50 someone who is aspiring to be the president can say this and at the end put Nigeria into dissarray and tumble it upside down?

Buhari you dissappointed me in fact you are mad I just hate you from this moment for supporting this unecessary pain, mutilation of human limbs, stone to death and all sort of satanic rule on fellow human that goes with evil sharia madness then you could support terrorism or even be a funding father for terrorist if sharia is normal to you. Buhari must be mad come heaven & earth  Buhari will not smell power again till he die. I'am so enrage and angry with this man because I so much respect him a lot for his stand point and rigidness but not knowing he is one of those believers of wickedness shame on you Buhari. May you rotten in H E L L I thought before you are human beign not knowing you are just one of those A S S H O L E.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Barkono: 1:09pm On Jan 17, 2011
Quote from Beaf: You surely know that sharia is not the definition of Islam, so you are the one playing the riligious card.
Abeg, keep quiet. Buhari was at the

forefront of a crusade to install sharia across the whole country. His words are indelibly cast in stone.
I am neither a Christian nor a Muslim, but I value my freedom desperately, so I couldn't give a hoot about a wild eyed, fanatic president

@ Beaf
Who said so, that "sharia is not the definition of Islam". Is it your imagination. The corner stone of Islam and Muslims is Sharia. It is what guideth a man.
I sometimes feel it is the fear of Buhari over Gej, that is bringing up this topic.
Sharia law and principles, has nothing to do with you, so long as you are not a muslim.
Have a look around, go to sharia spots of northern nigeria, see how people co exist. When was the last time you heard of clashes between christian and muslims in Kano? The state that first introduced sharia in nigeria, is zamfara. Have you heard of of any clash there? Please stop this fear mongering.
The arch bishop of canterbury suggested a similar thing for Britain.
Archbishop of Canterbury argues for Islamic law in Britain. ww.timesonline.co.uk/tol, Read full text of Archbishop's lecture on Islamic Law in Britain

We have all over england access to islamic banking, which is coded and guided under islamic sharia jurisprudence. Charity organisations etc.
We want an open system in our country. Like you said, you are neither a muslim or a christian, what you desire is your "freedom". Allow the muslims of nigeria say what is good for them.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jan 17, 2011
Jakumo:

Oyb, the only rationale that I can discern for seeking to assign blame for every criminal act that occurs while ANY given president is in office would be a futile hope borne out of desperation, to discredit that leader, by political opponents who are reduced to clutching at straws in search of non-existent scandals to bring the object of their displeasure down.  Extrapolating the logic of your argument further into absurdity, should we also blame President Goodluck for all home-invasion and bank robberies that took place in Nigeria since he assumed office ?

From day one of his tenure as Nigerian president, there has never been a shred of proof linking incumbent Nigerian President Johnny Goodluck with any act of terrorism within Nigeria's territorial boundaries, and beyond that, there is absolutely NO reason why a sitting president who is well on his way to earning a second term in office would sponsor bombings or any other destabilizing act of terror.  

By the way I join you in mourning the untimely passing of Nairaland contributor Bawomolo, whose sense of humor I greatly miss.

i am not blaming gej for the occurrences

i am blaming him for his reactions

if the police commissioner where you live said you should blame home invasions on demons or pray for armed robbers to see the light and make guilt ridden confessions you guys would get him sacked

with reference to October 1, GEJ's administration had advance warning and STILL went ahead with the celebrations WITHOUT warning Nigerians of the dangers. that is callousness of the highest order, but considering the antecedents of Nigerian leaders(the life of a Nigerian child is not worth that of a us child) , sadly unsuprising
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Jakumo(m): 1:22pm On Jan 17, 2011
Barkono:

The arch bishop of canterbury suggested a similar thing for Britain.
Archbishop of Canterbury argues for Islamic law in Britain. ww.timesonline.co.uk/tol, Read full text of Archbishop's lecture on Islamic Law in Britain

We have all over england access to islamic banking, which is coded and guided under islamic sharia jurisprudence. Charity organisations etc.
We want an open system in our country.
Like you said, you are neither a muslim or a christian, what you desire is your "freedom". Allow the muslims of nigeria say what is good for them.

I often wonder why those Bin-Laden bearded Muslims, who IMMIGRATE to the UK in swarms, feel so compelled to try and IMPOSE their own culture on a nation that is largely Christian, and whose women are NOT obliged to go about dressed in comical Batman costumes.  All such immigrants who clamor for Islamic law in the UK, or in any other largely Christian nation in Europe and beyond, should be politely shown the door, so they can be deported back to their camel-herding wastelands where they can stone women and amputate petty thieves to their heart's content.  

These fundamentalist fanatics flock in droves over to the UK to abuse the welfare, education and medical care system, over-burden the unemployment benefit programs, and live in free or subsidised housing,  but then, to show their gratitude for all those freebies, they insult their hosts and try to forcibly convert entire neighborhoods into little Afghanistans or Pakistans.  Such ungrateful parasites should be kicked the phuck out of the UK, to go back where they came from.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Barkono: 1:34pm On Jan 17, 2011
@Jakumo,
Firts of all buddy, we should make representations, to the house of commons, to change the first rule on magna carta. What we still refuse to understand, is we dey siddon je je for our african and asian jungles, when this oyinbo peeps came with their bible for hand, say dem be evangelist/explorers. Btw, who came to who first? Immigrants ko, immigrants ni. Abegi. KMT.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Lagosboy: 1:40pm On Jan 17, 2011
Jakumo:

I often wonder why those Bin-Laden bearded Muslims, who IMMIGRATE to the UK in swarms, feel so compelled to try and IMPOSE their own culture on a nation that is largely Christian, and whose women are NOT obliged to go about dressed in comical Batman costumes. All such immigrants who clamor for Islamic law in the UK, or in any other largely Christian nation in Europe and beyond, should be politely shown the door, so they can be deported back to their camel-herding wastelands where they can stone women and amputate petty thieves to their heart's content.

These fundamentalist fanatics flock in droves over to the UK to abuse the welfare, education and medical care system, over-burden the unemployment benefit programs, and live in free or subsidised housing, but then, to show their gratitude for all those freebies, they insult their hosts and try to forcibly convert entire neighborhoods into little Afghanistans or Pakistans. Such ungrateful parasites should be kicked the phuck out of the UK, to go back where they came from.

Buddie, I live in the UK and no one is calling for sharia to be implemented here , it was the head onf the anglican chirch himself that called for some aspects of sharia to be implemented after studying the shariah in its totalility and not from a pin hole mindset the folks here are doing.

Lastly, you have to show some decorum as you can attack Buhari but not trying to attack islam by saying "bearded muslims" is very low and plainly uncalled for. You could attack individuals but dont lump people together and paint them with one brush. The west invaded africa, invaded Iraq and they get iraqi refugees back to the UK and here you are asking them to F off.

Sing another song buddie or better still lets focus on the topic at hand
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Hodaya(m): 1:47pm On Jan 17, 2011
Nigerians need the basic amenities to live well and Buhari was 10yrs talking religious matters. One step at a time pls and let us all focus on kicking corruption out of naija because if we all fail, our children and grand children will suffer the consequences.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jan 17, 2011
Buhari would be a secular president

Buhari's wife is a born again christian

Buhari is not tribalistic he has christians in his team

Had he been a religious Bigot, he would have implement Sharia when he had absolute power as military head of state, but he  did not,  corruption and economy was his focus.

Wise up people - corrupt people (including journalists) are petrified of the anti-corruption president that is Buhari, which is why they twisting the truth.

Please educate yourselfs about Buhari's record and stop listening to agents of corrupt politician who want corruption to continue.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Muza(m): 1:50pm On Jan 17, 2011
If you love corruption and backwardness and a spendthrift govt that spends money with nothing to show for it, vote for Jonathan Goodluck. If you hate corruption as a progressive and want total eradication and instilling of discipline in Nigerians, vote for Gen Buhari. If you want favoritism, selective justice, witch hunting then vote Ribadu.

the choice is yours,make a wise choice,make the right choice and you'll be glad you did

#RSVP
#Rig2011ElectionsAndYouDie
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by KDULAR: 1:55pm On Jan 17, 2011
All adherents of all major religions in Nigeria will rather have their religion to be visible in every aspects of the society, and as a christian, I have no objection whatsoever to any kind of religious laws as long as it is only restricted to the adherents of such religion , however, when it violates the constitution and it is applied unto people of other religion as it is liable to happen in Nigeria judging by the antecedents of an average Political Muslim especially from  the North and lately in the south! Then my objection.

It is of little or non significance what he (Buhari) wished to be institutionalised 10 yerars ago because he has good reasons then which is not the same reason those state governors proposed and indeed effect it in their states but time has te Buhari has the right to say what he wishes and you have the right to either vote him or not, I asked which is most important, sharia, orkija shrine or good governance and country?
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by 1money: 2:08pm On Jan 17, 2011
pls don't vote this man.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Barkono: 2:09pm On Jan 17, 2011
@Lagosboy:
Don't mind that unrepentant slave master, Jakumo.May the blood and spirit of our fore-fathers, from senegal to bight of benin to gold coast, who were carted without their will in Jakumo's slave ships, and thrown to sharks in the oceans,all in the name of slave trade torment and punish Jakumo for ever and ever, amen.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by phraze(m): 2:15pm On Jan 17, 2011
i dont know why we allow these past legend to come and disturb furture legends, i mean aint there no law to ban this past warriors i mean we need the best for the test not the old for the test, yeah they got wisdom but how about creativity, lol vote the best guyz and dats G.E.J.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by bigmarko(m): 2:18pm On Jan 17, 2011
fanatic
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jan 17, 2011
Buhari would be a secular president

Gen. Buhari's wife is a born again christian

Buhari is not tribalistic he has christians in his team

Had he been a religious Bigot, he would have implement Sharia when he had absolute power as military head of state, but he did not, corruption and economy was his focus.

Wise up people - corrupt people (including journalists) are petrified of the anti-corruption president that is Buhari, which is why they twisting the truth.

Please educate yourselfs about Buhari's record and stop listening to agents of corrupt politician who want corruption to continue.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by cap28: 2:35pm On Jan 17, 2011
Jakumo:

I often wonder why those Bin-Laden bearded Muslims, who IMMIGRATE to the UK in swarms, feel so compelled to try and IMPOSE their own culture on a nation that is largely Christian, and whose women are NOT obliged to go about dressed in comical Batman costumes.  All such immigrants who clamor for Islamic law in the UK, or in any other largely Christian nation in Europe and beyond, should be politely shown the door, so they can be deported back to their camel-herding wastelands where they can stone women and amputate petty thieves to their heart's content.  

These fundamentalist fanatics flock in droves over to the UK to abuse the welfare, education and medical care system, over-burden the unemployment benefit programs, and live in free or subsidised housing,  but then, to show their gratitude for all those freebies, they insult their hosts and try to forcibly convert entire neighborhoods into little Afghanistans or Pakistans.  Such ungrateful parasites should be kicked the phuck out of the UK, to go back where they came from.

wow you sound so enlightened!!! you know this is the very language that Enoch Powell - a racist tory MP used in his famous river of blood speech in 1968 - the only difference is that he was talking about west indian and african immigrants then!!

The only people that i know who immigrate in swarms are whites - america, australia, canada, new zealand, south africa, zimbabwe these are all nations where whites have immigrated to from europe and created white settlements in which political and economic power remains solely in the hands of whites (with the exception of zimbabwe).

Talking about people who impose their language and culture on others - how come you speak english - is that the language of your ancestors how about the fact that 50% of nigerians are practising muslims or christians, did their ancestors practice those religions?  Did the white/arab man not impose his own language, religion and culture on you?

YOu are an african who has been forced to adopt a foreign culture, speak another another mans language and practices another man's religion and yet you accuse a tiny minority of muslims in the UK of trying to impose their culture on a majority white population who live in seperate communities away from these minorities - how did you work that out?
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Jakumo(m): 2:57pm On Jan 17, 2011
Barkono:

@Lagosboy:
Don't mind that unrepentant slave master, Jakumo.May the blood and spirit of our fore-fathers, from senegal to bight of benin to gold coast, who were carted without their will in Jakumo's slave ships, and thrown to sharks in the oceans,all in the name of slave trade torment and punish Jakumo for ever and ever, amen.

With your gracious permission, Lagos Boy, I would like to add the above passage to my cherished collection of imaginative and colorful rebuttals, for use later on when everyone has forgotten who the original author actually was.

For some odd reason, the idea of owning a slave ship holds great appeal to me, but I need to conduct some research to determine just where I will embark on slave raids.  I already posses a formidable collection of whips and chains that will all complement the equipment on board that vessel, when it is eventually delivered to me.

cap28:

YOu are an african who has been forced to adopt a foreign culture, speak another another mans language and practices another man's religion and yet you accuse a tiny minority of muslims in the UK of trying to impose their culture on a majority white population who live in seperate communities away from these minorities - how did you work that out?

Cap28, in the immortal words of Benny Hill, when you ASSume, you make an AZS out of U and ME.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by lekanbar(m): 3:10pm On Jan 17, 2011
Are you kidding me , Sharia for dis nation, how now?? cheesy
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by cold(m): 3:30pm On Jan 17, 2011
Was it not this same Buhari that came out in strong support of the Miyeti Allah Association of which he is the chairman after members of his association went on a killing spree in the remote town Biu in Jos,slithing throats of women and children and razing buildings?Was it not this man who insisted his members did the right thing cuz the natives drew first blood?Is this the same man running to be elected as a democratically elected president in Nigeria?Wonders shall never cease. shocked
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by cap28: 3:31pm On Jan 17, 2011
Jakumo:

Cap28, in the immortal words of Benny Hill, when you ASSume, you make an AZS out of U and ME.

BENNY HILL!!!! LMAO - now i have an idea of your level of intelligence

Okay so am i to conclude that you are not a black african man? Even if you are not your comments are still ignorant, bigotted and unintelligent.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Jakumo(m): 3:34pm On Jan 17, 2011
Yes sir indeed, I do watch Benny Hill re-runs, grateful that I don't live under a Buhari-led Taliban tyranny, where such an offence would be punishable by amputation.

Johnny B. Goodluck for President !
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by sexybills: 3:55pm On Jan 17, 2011
He is not winning if he wants to implement sharia.Nothing can make be a muslim cos the dont value lifes.Its a religion for the voilent
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by mrperfect(m): 4:13pm On Jan 17, 2011
This is his belief, but I doubt if he would make a good President with this in mind. Because people will fight this till the last, which might remove his mind from real issue that was the reason of voting him there in the first place.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by harakiri(m): 4:20pm On Jan 17, 2011
When people in developed nations have transcended beyond the fraud called religion, our elite are doing their best to take us back to the medieval stone ages. How unfortunate.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by cap28: 4:34pm On Jan 17, 2011
safari SA:

I hope you guys will not be too lazy to read this. and watch the words in bold. Maybe we call Sanusi a Jihadist!!!!!!!!!!

BUHARISM: Economic Theory and Political Economy
By

Sanusi Lamido Sanusi

[LAGOS]

July 22,2002

(All views are strictly personal)

lamidos@hotmail.com

Some readers and writers alike have done Buhari incalculable damage by viewing his politics through the narrow prism of ethnicity and religion, risking the alienation of whole sections of the Nigerian polity without whose votes their candidate cannot succeed.

I am inclined to agree with this, i think the OP's thread is designed to divert nigerians away from  discussing Buhari's policies and instead focus on spurious claims which may or may not be true.

The reality, as noted by Tolstoy, is that too often history is erroneously reduced to single individuals. By losing sight of the multiplicity of individuals, events, actions and inactions (deliberate or otherwise) that combine to produce a set of historical circumstances, the historian is able to create a mythical figure and turn him into an everlasting hero (like Lincoln) or a villain (like Hitler). The same is true of Buhari. There seems to be a dangerous trend of competition between two opposing camps aimed at glorifying him beyond his wildest dreams or demonizing him beyond all justifiable limits, through a selective reading of history and opportunistic attribution and misattribution of responsibility. The discourse has been thus impoverished through personalization and we are no closer at the end of it than at the beginning to a divination of the exact locus or nexus of his administration in the flow of Nigerian history. This is what I seek to achieve in this intervention through an exposition of the theoretical underpinnings of the economic policy of Buharism and the necessary correlation between the economic decisions made and the concomitant legal and political superstructure.

As i said earlier Buhari's uncompromising stand on corruption and his attempt at paying off our national debt demonstrated that he had more to offer nigeria than his inept predecessors.

Buharism was a stage the logical outcome of whose machinations would have been a transcendence of what Marx called the stage of Primitive Accumulation in his Theories of Surplus Value. It was radical, not in the sense of being socialist or left wing, but in the sense of being a progressive move away from a political economy dominated by a parasitic and subservient elite to one in which a nationalist and productive class gains ascendancy.

unfortunately Nigeria remains at the Primitive Accumulation stage in which the nation remains in the grip of parasites, sycophants, murderers, ex drug barons and ritualists.

Buharism represented a two-way struggle: with Global capitalism (externally) and with its parasitic and unpatriotic agents and spokespersons (internally). The struggle against global capital as represented by the unholy trinity of the IMF, the World Bank and multilateral “trade” organizations as well that against the entrenched domestic class of contractors, commission agents and corrupt public officers were vicious and thus required extreme measures.

And this now clarifies why Buhari's tenure was abruptly terminated, with such opposition it was just a matter of time before his many enemies got the better of him.
The problem we have in nigeria is poor education, many of us are totally ignorant of how the world works and our place within it, when you try to explain the agenda of capitalism, the role of the IMF and the world bank in africa, the collaboration of the nigerian elite in the economic destruction of nigeria it seems to go over most nigerian people's heads.  

Draconian policies were a necessary component of this struggle for transformation and this has been the case with all such epochs in history. The Meiji restoration in Japan was not conducted in a liberal environment. The Industrial Revolution in Europe and the great economic progress of the empires were not attained in the same liberal atmosphere of the 21st Century.

Exactly, the Meiji restoration was responsible for turning Japan into a formidable empire politically, economically and militarily, so invicincible that during world war 2 ,american troops were terrified of engaging with them on the ground hence the decision to drop two atomic bombs on them.

The “tiger economies” of Asia such as Taiwan, South Korea, Indonesia and Thailand are not exactly models of democratic freedom. To this extent Buharism was a despotic regime but its despotism was historically determined, necessitated by the historical task of dismantling the structures of dependency and launching the nation on to a path beyond primitive accumulation. At his best Buhari may have been a Bonaparte or a Bismarck. At his worst he may have been a Hitler or a Mussolini. In either case Buharism drawn to its logical conclusion would have provided the bedrock for a new society and its overthrow marked a relapse, a step backward into that era from which we sought escape and in which, sadly for all of us we remain embedded and enslaved. I will now proceed with an elaboration of Buharism as a manifestation of bourgeois economics and political economy.

Most definitely, and now here we are again, going through the motions of democracy once again, deceiving ourselves that the likes of Jonathan and the PDP and other thieves will ever have anything worthwhile to offer the average nigerian.  A time will come when we will beg for a return to the Buhari/Idiagbo era, we will recall those days with tears in our eyes and refer to them as "the good old days" .

The Economic Theory of Buharism

One of the greatest myths spun around Buharism was that it lacked a sound basis in economic theory. As evidence of this, the regime that succeeded Buhari employed the services of economic “gurus” of “international standard” as the architects of fiscal and monetary policy. These were [b]IMF and World Bank economists like Dr. Chu Okongwu and Dr Kalu Idika Kalu, as well as Mr SAP himself, Chief Olu Falae (an economist trained at Yale). At the time Buhari’s Finance Minister, Dr Onaolapo Soleye (who was not a trained economist) was debating with the pro-IMF lobby and explaining why the naira would not be devalued I was teaching economics at the Ahmadu Bello University. I had no doubt in my mind that the position of Buharism was based on a sound understanding of neo-classical economics and that those who were pushing for devaluation either did not understand their subject or were acting deliberately as agents of international capital in its rampage against all barriers set up by sovereign states to protect the integrity of the domestic economy. I still believe some of the key economic policy experts of the IBB administration were economic saboteurs who should be tried for treason. When the IMF recently owned up to “mistakes” in its policy prescriptions all patriotic economists saw it for what it was: A hypocritical statement of remorse after attaining set objectives. Let me explain, briefly, the economic theory underlying Buhari’s refusal to devalue the naira and then show how the policy merely served the interest of global capitalism and its domestic agents. This will be the principal building block of our taxonomy.[/b]

I have always beleived that we nigerians are our own greatest enemy and the above quote proves this point, the main reason for our economic stagnation is that we have so many saboteurs within our ranks, i would say that the first thing any progressive nigerian leader will need to do is try and if successful jail these undesirable elements for treason as the writer stated .  I can now see why Buhari was hated so much by even his own peers - many of these saboteurs had and still have  vested interests in seeing nigeria fail and until these people are dealt with summarily we will continue lurching from one crisis to another.

The argument of Buharism, for which it was castigated by global capital and its domestic agents, was that these conditions did not exist clearly enough for Nigeria to take the gamble. First our major export, oil, was priced in dollars and the volume exported was determined ab initio by the quota set by OPEC, a cartel to which we belonged. Neither the price nor the volume of our exports would be affected by a devaluation of the naira. As for imports, indeed they would become dearer. However the manufacturing base depended on imported raw materials. Also many essential food items were imported. The demand for imports was therefore inelastic. We would end up spending more of our national income to import less, in the process fuelling inflation, creating excess capacity and unemployment, wiping out the production base of the real sector and causing hardship to the consumer through the erosion of real disposable incomes. Given the structural dislocations in income distribution in Nigeria the only groups who would benefit from devaluation were the rich parasites who had enough liquidity to continue with their conspicuous consumption, the large multi-national corporations with an unlimited access to loanable funds and the foreign “investor” who can now purchase our grossly cheapened and undervalued domestic assets.

Tomorrow people will say that no nigerian leader has come up with alternative solutions to the western imposed SAP programmes  - i wish the writer of this article could educate nigerians as to what is really going on behind closed doors in this our nation, so that we know for a fact who is really scuppering our economic development.

In one stroke we would wipe out the middle class, destroy indigenous manufacturing, undervalue the national wealth and create inflation and unemployment. This is standard economic theory and it is exactly what happened to Nigeria after it went through the hands of our IMF economists under IBB. The decision not to devalue set Buharism on a collision course with those who wanted devaluation and would profit from it-namely global capitalism, the so-called “captains of industry” (an acronym for the errand boys of multinational corporations), the nouveaux-riches parasites who had naira and dollars waiting to be spent, the rump elements of feudalism and so on.

I referred to some of the points raised here in an earlier post, the moment Buhari failed to implement the neo liberal economic policies of the IMF he became a marked man, not only by the US backed IMF but by nigeria's internal enemies of progress and agents of global capitalism hence his removal by IMF errand boy Babangida

Buharism therefore was a crisis in the dominant class, a fracturing of its members into a patriotic, nationalist group and a dependent, parasitic and corrupt one. It was not a struggle between classes but within the same class. A victory for Buharism would be a victory for the more progressive elements of the national bourgeoisie. Unfortunately the fifth columnists within the military establishment were allied to the backward and retrogressive elements and succeeded in defeating Buharism before it took firm root. But I digress.

this is a very interesting analysis one which the average nigerian would do well to pay attention to.   If we are well informed as a people we will then know who we should support,  I for one was unaware that the elites were even divided on economic policy.

This raises a question I have often been asked. Do I support Buhari’s decision to contest for the presidency of Nigeria? My answer is no. And I will explain.

First, I believe Buhari played a creditable role in a particular historical epoch but like Tolstoy and Marx I do not believe he can re-enact that role at will. Men do not make history exactly as they please but, as Marx wrote in the 18th Brumaire, “in circumstances directly encountered, given and transmitted from the past.” Muhammadu Buhari as a military general had more room for manoevre than he can ever hope for in Nigerian Politics.

this confirms my beleif that a military leader can be better for a nation than a supposedly democratically elected one if he has the vision, dedication, self discipline and well being of the nation at heart - all qualities that i beleive Buhari had and probably still has.  

Second, I am convinced that the situation of Nigeria and its elite today is worse than it was in 1983.Compared to the politicians who populate the PDP, ANPP and AD today, second republic politicians were angels. Buhari waged a battle against second republic politicians, but he is joining this generation. Anyone who rides a tiger ends up in its belly and one man cannot change the system from within. A number of those Buhari jailed for theft later became ministers and many of those who hold key offices in all tiers of government and the legislature were made by the very system he sought to destroy. My view is that Nigeria needs people like Buhari in politics but not to contest elections. Buhari should be in politics to develop Civil Society and strengthen the conscience of the nation. He should try to develop many Buharis who will continue to challenge the elements that have hijacked the nation.

My thoughts exactly!! Although i beleive that at no other time have we been in such desperate need of a sincere leader and since Buhari has shown that he is the only nigerian leader to date who is serious about implementing change then he deserves to win the presidential ticket.

Third, I do not think Nigerians today are ready for Buhari. Everywhere you turn you see thieves who have amassed wealth in the last four years, be they legislators, Local Government chairmen and councilors, or governors and ministers. But these are the heroes in their societies. They are the religious leaders and ethnic champions and Nigerians, especially northerners, will castigate and discredit anyone who challenges them. Unless we start by educating our people and changing their value system, people like Buhari will remain the victims of their own love for Nigeria.

This is sad but true, we are a nation of sycophants, until we are ready to face the hard facts of life ie that life will never improve for us under the likes of Jonathan and all the other thieves we will continue down this bottomless pit.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by andyanders: 4:35pm On Jan 17, 2011
IF BUHARI SAID THAT, THEN, HE SHOULD NOT AND WILL NOT EVER BE VOTED TO BE THE PRESIDENT OF THIS GREAT NATION. HE CAN ONLY RULE WHEN HE IS DEAD. NOBODY SHOULD VOTE FOR A MAN WITH LOW BRAIN COUNT. THE NORTH HAS MESSED UP THIS COUNTRY A LOT. WELL I DONT BLAME THE NORTH. IT WAS BECAUSE THE SOUTHERNERS MDE THIS COW HUNTERS TO GET SENSE. WETIN MALAM KNOW? IS IT NOT REARING OF COW? BUHARI SHOULD GO AND RULE COW AND NOT NIGERIA. HE HAS LOT OF COWS TO RULE IN THE NORTH. THIS IS A GREAT NATION. WITH TIME THINGS WILL CHANGE FOR GOOD.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Jakumo(m): 4:37pm On Jan 17, 2011
cold:

Was it not this same Buhari that came out in strong support of the Miyeti Allah Association of which he is the chairman after members of his association went on a killing spree in the remote town Biu in Jos,slithing throats of women and children and razing buildings?Was it not this man who insisted his members did the right thing cuz the natives drew first blood?Is this the same man running to be elected as a democratically elected president in Nigeria?Wonders shall never cease. shocked

Some cold hard facts about a cold blooded murderer, courtesy of Mr. Cold.   A true picture of the real monster called Buhari is gradually emerging here thanks to this very significant contribution, and others before, and yet to come.    I hope a few thousand more undecided Nigerian voters get to read the above passage, and act NOW, before this homicidal madman, Ayatollah Buhari makes a run for power.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Nsiman(m): 4:41pm On Jan 17, 2011
Get wise jor, buhari was fighting corruption about 22yrs ago he has forgotten the tactics or will not dare try fighting corruption again
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Nsiman(m): 4:55pm On Jan 17, 2011
If u need a consensus candidate, gej is the answer. Buhari can never and ever be a secular president as u alleged, during the late Abacha's regime he headed the ptf, he was sectional, infact 1/2 of n.delta's problem would have been if not laid to rest, a foundation laid for take off, the s.w, and other parts of nigeria were marginalised, except the part he comes from. Infact i have a copy of an open letter sent to him, i may upload it here later. I have a lot to say about his -ve attitudes while he headed the ptf, that's why i posted the one b4 this

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply)

Adeleke’s Wife Showers Gifts On First Baby Of 2023 In Osun (photos) / Atiku Replies Buhari Organisation, Says President’s Camp Now Confused / Photos From Swearing In Of Emeka Ihedioha As Governor Of Imo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.