Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,025 members, 7,845,315 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 03:24 PM

Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari (3662 Views)

Obiano And Oshiomhole At 4th Nnamdi Azikwe's Lecture Awka / PDP Senators Kick As Buhari Fails To Submit List Of Ministers - Vanguard / Buhari To Complete Zik Mausoleum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by Dede1(m): 8:32am On Jan 17, 2011
T9ksy:

Quote from: Dede1 on Today at 07:37:13 PM
No doubt that the ndigbos would have been elevated had Zik aligned with AG but definately not at the expense of the yorubas who had enough capable and educated leaders at their disposal. At that particular moment in our history, each region was working assiduously to promote the lot of their people within the colonial contraption. No one wants to be ruled by an outsider. What good does Zik have in mind for the yorubas that they can't do (and as it transpired they can and did) for themselves?  Remember, the yorubas did not believe in One nigeria and neither did the north. Only the igbos were for One nigeria.

Zik did not even campaign in the north. can you imagine Zik aspiring to be premier of the north? who born am? even before that the north was already massacring the ndigbos in their region based solely on their perceived fear of ndigbo's neocolonialism. The sardunna refferred to the igbos in the north then, as invaders!

The post above is a delight of tribal bigot and derivatives of figment of your imagination. Even when the colonialists were in-charge of placement of individuals in various works of life both in the protectorates as well as Nigeria which strictly based on merits, the demographic services painted a different picture from your crass speculation.   

I am sure you were the only walking head that could recall the referendum on One-Nigeria which led you to form the opinion that Yoruba and North did not believe in One-Nigeria but Igbo.Thank goodness you do not have monopoly of recorded events.

If you do not have retentive issues, you should remember that Biafra fought against the delusional idea of One-Nigeria.
Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by EkoIle1: 8:43am On Jan 17, 2011
Those who have accused Awo of tribalism forget one thing: Awo was elected to defend the interest of the Western region. It was somebody else’s to do the same for the Eastern region. At various times, each region has threatened to secede from the Nigerian federation. When in 1957 Nigeria was to be granted independence the North said it was not ready. Awo was said to have had discussions with Zik saying the South should go ahead with independence because the North will never be ready even if given a hundred years. Zik turned around and formed an alliance with Ahmadu Bello and the South waited three years for the North to prepare for independence (Similarities between Pakistan and India. The British divided India into two nations –India and Pakistan because of religious differences).

This is the origin of our problems. Awo never forgave Zik for this. This pattern of alliance and betrayal was to repeat itself until their death. They could no longer trust each other on issues of South-South dialogue as Zik was always prone to renege at the last moment only to emerge with a Northern alliance. Because of this, Awo fought tooth and nail to gain ascendancy over Zik in the West. He played a role in the carpet crossing in the West that deprived Zik the leadership. He was accused of exploiting tribal sentiments to further his purpose but he was a man who acted according to the dictates of his time. To do otherwise is to suffer perdition. Zik learnt quickly from this episode, made a dash to the East and practically threw Eyo Ita out of the Eastern house to become the premier.

Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by EkoIle1: 8:44am On Jan 17, 2011
It is against this background that I see Awo as a leader who loved his people and this should not be seen as hatred for others. Those who also say that the Yorubas gained ascendancy of industry because of the marginalization of the Igbos fail to see the fact that most institutions in the West had been built before independence under the captainship of Awo.

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by EkoIle1: 8:45am On Jan 17, 2011
Awo is a man who looked for the long term interest of his people. The sooner the Igbos stop using him as an excuse for the failure of Biafra, the easier it is for them to discern good leadership that would serve them.

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by EkoIle1: 7:13pm On Jan 17, 2011
CONCLUSION: The Igbos should understand that the crisis facing the South today was directly or remotely caused by them. But because their leaders had not been sincere to them, they have continuously propagated the lie that the West is responsible for their problem. A few facts should illuminate this:

1. In 1957, the North threatened to secede if independence was granted to Nigeria because they were not ready. Zik, was supposed to have reached an understanding with Awo to let the North go. But to Awo’s consternation, Zik formed an alliance with the North which succeeded in delaying independence and allowed the North to get ready.
2. In 1966, a group of young Igbo officers planned a coup that killed only non-Igbo politicians. Included among the politicians was Ahmadu Bello who was a god-like figure to the Northerners. Before you could say Jihad, all the Sabongaris were on fire and the pogrom that would lead to the civil war has started,
3. Instead of trying to seek immediate political solution to the crisis, the Igbos declared Biafra. They war lasted for 30 months. The Igbos lost everything. The Hausa-Fulani oligarchy took this defeat of Biafra as the conquest of the South. Since then, they have transformed the privilege of leadership into that of a birthright and they have used it not only to stunt the growth of the South but also to subject their people to a state of perpetual servitude and feudalistic iniquities.

The Igbo/Yoruba Relationship

http://www.nigerdeltacongress.com/iarticles/igbo.htm

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by ekubear1: 7:49pm On Jan 17, 2011

1. In 1957, the North threatened to secede if independence was granted to Nigeria because they were not ready. Zik, was supposed to have reached an understanding with Awo to let the North go. But to Awo’s consternation, Zik formed an alliance with the North which succeeded in delaying independence and allowed the North to get ready.
angry angry angry
Zik, simply an asshat. F him.

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by fstranger1: 9:12pm On Jan 17, 2011
Where are all my Igbo internet warriors

They've all suddenly grown wings! cheesy
Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by asha80(m): 9:23pm On Jan 17, 2011
eku_bear:

angry angry angry
Zik, simply an asshat. F him.

well you should begin to understand why some igbos do not respect zik unlike ojukwu.

fstranger1:

Where are all my Igbo internet warriors

They've all suddenly grown wings! cheesy

actually a lot of igbos are not really in the habit of defending the likes of zik and ironsi.
Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by EkoIle1: 10:35pm On Jan 17, 2011
About ibo people and their delusions. Ibo people for some reason have a fatalistic disease called delusion. Most of their shortsighted and greedy acts emanates from grand delusions and faulty sense of reasoning.

The quote below exhibits their delusions and why they cling on to delusions. Delusions is a common traits of people with very shallow self esteem and insecurity. They basically lash on to anything and everything to seek relevance and make up for what they obviously lack.

Uncommon is the fact that one cannot put his finger on anything Zik accomplished in Igbo-Land during his stint at Governor-General-ship position. But we remember late Dr. M. I. Okpara’s accomplishments: industrialization and establishment of infrastructures, infrastructures that have collapsed today due to lack of maintenance culture. Some point at University of Nigeria Nsukka [UNN]—but, if really UNN was made possible under his whips and caprices, but one still cannot put hand on any single thing he accomplished since hypothetically UNN was federal.

Zik’s quest for a false-one-Nigerianism profited his coffers and those of his family, while Igbo-Nation suffered the consequences of such “ignorance and lunacy.” Visiting and photo-ops with the Queen of England was dignifying for him than celebrating Daa-Nnedia-Nno-nulo [Grandma at home]. Generational-evils and lack of national-pride, shamelessness in the face of visiting medical facilities overseas funded by fed during his era while domestic medical facilities in our shores where left dilapidated was most-disgraceful. I still think that Awo increased industrialization and free-education in West that benefited her citizenry/region.

Awo’s never pretended altruism founded on strong-tribalism while, Zik’s idealism at—One-Nigerianism was “hot Air”—a charade—an epicenter of self/disillusionment. His rhetoric at glamorizing grammar was an unnecessary distraction. For example: “I have no symbol to symbolize my symbolism,” or “I am not here to Zikify my Zikism, etc, were recipe to under-development/de-industrialization and collapse, etc. A crowd pleaser appellation, which preferred “Zik of Afrikka identifications” over industrialization for the citizenry is “a moral lunacy” at the highest order. The charade which is Pan-Africanism was another “irrelevance”—empty rhetoric that is NEPAD today. The rhetoric—“Pan-Africanism” was by Ghana’s Kwame Nkrumah unrealistic. Thusly a jettisoned idealism of “Pan-Africanism—of One Currency State.”

This he did and launched Ghana-Nation into an Independent State with a separate currency away from the façade—“Pan-Africanism.” His false-claims at Independence 1960 as an accomplishment benchmarked on “peaceful overtures” is another national-calamity at best falsehood. The altruism is that Nigerian Students [led by indefatigable NUNS] gave blood that was littered in the streets of Lagos, Ibadan, Enugu in defense the Nation-hood, while Zik’s group attempted to mortgage their future [ like it’s mortgaged from the beginning under imperial-colonialism] in a Technical-Part [code word for Military-Agreement] with Britain in the 60s.

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by T9ksy(m): 10:39pm On Jan 17, 2011
Posted by: asha 80 Today at 09:23:54 PM
actually a lot of igbos are not really in the habit of defending the likes of zik and ironsi

Who then are the igbos fond of defending?  shocked
Awo, perhaps?  grin  grin

A MASS MEETING OF IGBOS IN LAGOS (CIRCA 1947/48) RESOLVED THAT ANY FURTHER ATTACKS ON ZIK WILL BE SEEN AS ATTACKS ON THE IGBO NATION ‘CAUSE IF A HEN WERE KILLED, THE CHICKENS WILL BE EXPOSED TO DANGER (COLEMAN 1986: 346)

Hmmmmmm. . . . I wonder what's transpired since then? I wonder, indeed  

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by asha80(m): 10:43pm On Jan 17, 2011
T9ksy:

Posted by: asha 80 Today at 09:23:54 PM
Who then are the igbos fond of defending?  shocked
Awo, perhaps?  grin  grin

Hmmmmmm. . . . I wonder what's transpired since then? I wonder, indeed  

well maybe from hindsight they know better.as for the first question i am sure you already know the answer.
Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by T9ksy(m): 11:01pm On Jan 17, 2011
well maybe from hindsight they know better.as for the first question i am sure you already know the answer.

No I don't!! Pls. indulge me.
On second thought, don't bother, don't really care,
Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by asha80(m): 11:04pm On Jan 17, 2011
T9ksy:

No I don't!! Pls. indulge me.
On second thought, don't bother, don't really care,

you wish.hot air over the net.
Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by PhysicsMHD(m): 1:41am On Jan 23, 2011
Katsumoto, I did not have the books on hand to reply with a source, but I made a visit to the library recently for other reasons, and found the sources of what I earlier stated.

1. My original reference to a tip was not to the same tips that you are apparently referring to. I would like to see the source(s) of your claim about the two different tips (Ifeajuna to Zik and Akintola to Bello to Balewa) as I can't recall reading about such tips.

"The concept of a coup in Nigeria was not new. In the constitutional crisis of December 1964, several lieutenant-colonels, mainly Ibos, and including Ojukwu, had talked of military intervention but nothing had come of it and the army, true to its British traditions, had kept out of politics. However, as the situation deteriorated, some of the younger officers began to plot seriously and it seems probable that the 'inner circle' of the January group had its genesis in August 1965, even before the disastrous, catalytic elections in the Western Region ahd taken place. Contrary to popular belief and Nzeogwu's own claim, it appears that the original caucus did not include him. Majors Ifeajuna (the high-jumper) and Okafor (commander of the Federal Guard) were the principal plotters and they brought Nzeogwu - dubbed by one writer, 'the Brutus of the coup' - in later since they needed an efficient and strongly motivated man to direct operations in the North. By the end of October 1965, there were seven officers in the conspiracy: five majors and a captain were Ibos and the remaining major was a Yoruba."- John De St. Jorre, The Nigerian Civil War

"The roles of Ironsi and Ojukwu-both Ibos from the East-have also caused a great amount of speculation; subsequent propaganda has either implicated (Federal) or exonerated (Eastern) them. The favourite interpretation of Ironsi's part is that he was told of the plot by the conspirators and replied something like this, "O.K., boys, if you pull it off, I'm with you, but if you don't, you're on your own.' In a manuscript written by Ifeajuna after the coup, and now believed lost, he claimed 'our general, whom we expected to help us, let us down', but there is no real evidence for this. Ironsi, who had first commanded the Nigerian military contingent then the entire United Nations force in the Congo, was already at the pinnacle of success and was no radical firebrand. In fact, when he had heard that a military move against the government was in the offing in December 1965, he had informed the Prime Minister, but the story was discounted for lack of proof and the general feeling that military coups could not happen in 'stable' Nigeria. Ironsi, 41 years old at the time of the coup and a former N.C.O. in the colonial army, who had risen to be the first indigenous commander of the Nigerian army a year earlier, was poles apart in background, education and temperament from the idealistic and hot-headed young majors, even though he came from the same tribe. His actions on the night of the coup - the fact that he was at a party on a ship in Lagos harbour probably saved his life - and his shock at the death of his comrades (among other deficiencies, Ironsi could list acting) were too genuine to be written off as a clever piece of dissimulation. Moreover, he took quick and brave action, at some personal risk, to crush the coup as soon as he knew about it."- John De St. Jorre, The Nigerian Civil War

Clearly, in December 1965, information about the coup leaked and Ironsi moved to inform the government and was ignored.

Zik decided to get out of there (late 1965) and stay out. Balewa didn't. That was my point. In doing so, he made himself seem like less than a "father of the nation" by running away when things got too hot. Not to say that it wasn't ultimately the right decision. But it was bad for public relations, is what I was saying.
Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by PhysicsMHD(m): 1:43am On Jan 23, 2011
As for the Akintola to Bello tip of a coup, that's not clear to me so if you could provide a source, I would appreciate it.

Here is what I've read:

"As long as he remained Premier, it became necessary for Akintola to continue to act tough. Plans were made with the Prime Minister and the Sardauna to use force to break the back of the resistance in the West. Akintola and Chief R.O.A. Akinjide, the Federal Minister of Education and Secretary General of the NNDP, went to meet the Sardauna in Kaduna on January 13, 1966. Present at the meeting were the Commander of the Fourth Battalion of the Nigerian Army stationed in Ibadan, Lt. Colonel A. Largema who was a regular visitor to the Premier's lodge and had become a friend of Chief S.L. Akintola. The visit to Kaduna was apparently made to review the security position in the West and to devise what other steps were needed to be taken to guarantee life and property. By this time, the security forces had been stretched to their limits. All the NNDP leaders were by permission of the police acting on instructions from the Prime Minister, provided not only with armed police but also with revolvers which they carried individually. Akintola and his Ministers were told to expect armed attacks by thugs of the UPGA and they were prepared for the worst. The situation was so terrible that when travelling, Ministers of State were followed by armed guards while they themselves carried revolvers. There were frequently armed ambushes of political opponents particularly in areas that the AG refused to give up. Houses of opponents were put to torch while opponents waited at the entrance to kill people trying to escape the fire. Cars of opponents were burned at random; traditional rulers who remained on the side of Chief Akintola were driven away from their thrones. AG and NCNC thugs, particularly the latter, went about on party orders spraying their opponents with petrol and then igniting them with matches. The situation became intolerable for everybody. All the attempts of both the federal and state governments to put down the rebellion proved abortive. It should, of course, be remembered that this chaos was not region-wide, but the disaffection in Abeokuta, Ijebu and Ondo provinces was such that the normal functions of government virtually ground to a halt. The options were few. The Federal Government could again take over the running of the affairs of the region under emergency powers conferred on the Prime Minister by the Constitution or the Prime Minister could back Akintola by force which would be tantamount to a military government in the West. He could let things drift and adopt a "wait and see" policy. He chose the second option of supporting Akintola at all cost.
During the crisis in the West, Chief Akintola had the habit of spending the weekend in his home town of Ogbomosho where he had a huge mansion. He went there apparently for the peace of mind which he never had in the Premier's lodge. He knew that in Ogbomosho, no matter what the situation was, he could count on his own people. It was also his style to be close to his Ogbomosho roots partly out of pride. He knew he would never have been what he was without the support of his people. It was therefore strange when he told his wife on the weekend beginning Friday, January 14, 1966, that he would stay in Ibadan, and that she should go to Ogbomosho, presumably to prepare their mansion for a private visit from Emperor Haile Selassie I of Ethiopia, who was then on official visit to Nigeria. Mrs. Faderera Akintola left Ibadan and stopped at Igbajo, her home-town, on a circuitous route to Ogbomosho. Chief Akintola had just returned by then from a meeting with the Prime Minister and the Premier of the North, Sir Ahmadu Bello, the Sardauna of Sokoto in Kaduna. Nobody is sure of what was discussed in Kaduna. Opponents of the three of them claimed that they were preparing to instigate a coup d' etat which would favour their political goals and aspirations. But what was most likely to have been decided was the increased use of the police and the army to subdue and suppress opposition forces in the West. But of course Akintola and the others were in possession of intelligence reports that the NCNC and the AG were planning a military putsch in conjunction with their sympathisers in the army. This report may just have been a figment of their imagination. Whether the tip was dismissed outright or countermeasures were being prepared is not clear to this day. What is certain is that Chief Akintola had just arrived from Kaduna on January 15, 1966, and saw to it that everybody had a cup of Ovaltine with Paludrine, a prophylactic against malaria - a practice he seems to have believed in religiously." - Akinjide Osuntokun, Chief S. Ladoke Akintola: His Life and Times
Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by PhysicsMHD(m): 1:44am On Jan 23, 2011
2. I was never of the opinion that Awolowo deliberately intended to negotiate with the NPC and NCNC at the same time. In fact from what I've read in that biography of Akintola, Awolowo seemed to have an immense disdain for the NPC and had never even considered such a union, but for Akintola it was exactly the opposite and he went ahead to negotiate for an NPC-AG alliance without consulting the real leader of the party (Awolowo) and by this act, engaged in "anti-party activity" (though, from Akintola's point of view, the AG was not Awolowo's sole and personal property, one of the main reasons for their clash). As for Akintola not refusing to confirm that he was on the phone to negotiate with the Sardauna, there is no reason he wouldn't confirm  if he thought there was nothing wrong with AG uniting with NPC and telling Zik that that was what was going to happen, but the fact that the call came exactly when Awolowo went to negotiate with Zik does suggest that it was a premeditated trap for Awolowo. My point, regardless of whatever actually happened, was that Zik would still have had reason to suspect double-talk or deceptive activity because of what appeared to have happened on the surface.

By the way, if you have not read it already, Chief S.L.A. Akintola : His Life and Times, is a very interesting book, not only for painting a reasonably sympathetic portrait of Akintola (who I think was misunderstood, though I still have problems with him (rigging, sponsored thuggery, chauvinism, etc.)), but also for the very insightful, detailed picture it paints of Nigerian and especially AG politics in that era and the rarely mentioned (in other books) specifics of meetings and negotiations between politicians, parties, etc.
Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by fstranger1: 1:50am On Jan 23, 2011
Another Becomrich = PhysicsMHD
Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by PhysicsMHD(m): 1:55am On Jan 23, 2011
fstranger1:

Another Becomrich = PhysicsMHD

?

What does this mean exactly?
Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by fstranger1: 2:33am On Jan 23, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

?

What does this mean exactly?

What exactly did you not understand about the post?
Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by PhysicsMHD(m): 2:36am On Jan 23, 2011
Who is "Another Becomrich"? Never seen that username on here.

fstranger1= Another Ezeuche
Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by fstranger1: 2:37am On Jan 23, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Who is "Another Becomrich"? Never seen that username on here.

fstranger1= Another Ezeuche

But do you know who Becomrich is?
Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by PhysicsMHD(m): 2:44am On Jan 23, 2011
Yeah. He recently posted a profile of who he is, in fact. Map genius and Yoruba Beninese philosopher. Electricity engineering guru and childhood friend of most of Nigeria's politicians and their relatives. And of course he is the great mind behind this globe dot com. He may also own several planes.
Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by fstranger1: 2:47am On Jan 23, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Yeah. He recently posted a profile of who he is, in fact. Map genius and Yoruba Beninese philosopher. Electricity engineering guru and childhood friend of most of Nigeria's politicians and their relatives. And of course he is the great mind behind this globe dot com. He may also own several planes.

SO:

fstranger1:

What exactly did you not understand about the initial post?

Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by Katsumoto: 1:03pm On Jan 23, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Katsumoto, I did not have the books on hand to reply with a source, but I made a visit to the library recently for other reasons, and found the sources of what I earlier stated.

1. My original reference to a tip was not to the same tips that you are apparently referring to. I would like to see the source(s) of your claim about the two different tips (Ifeajuna to Zik and Akintola to Bello to Balewa) as I can't recall reading about such tips.

"The concept of a coup in Nigeria was not new. In the constitutional crisis of December 1964, several lieutenant-colonels, mainly Ibos, and including Ojukwu, had talked of military intervention but nothing had come of it and the army, true to its British traditions, had kept out of politics. However, as the situation deteriorated, some of the younger officers began to plot seriously and it seems probable that the 'inner circle' of the January group had its genesis in August 1965, even before the disastrous, catalytic elections in the Western Region ahd taken place. Contrary to popular belief and Nzeogwu's own claim, it appears that the original caucus did not include him. Majors Ifeajuna (the high-jumper) and Okafor (commander of the Federal Guard) were the principal plotters and they brought Nzeogwu - dubbed by one writer, 'the Brutus of the coup' - in later since they needed an efficient and strongly motivated man to direct operations in the North. By the end of October 1965, there were seven officers in the conspiracy: five majors and a captain were Ibos and the remaining major was a Yoruba."- John De St. Jorre, The Nigerian Civil War

"The roles of Ironsi and Ojukwu-both Ibos from the East-have also caused a great amount of speculation; subsequent propaganda has either implicated (Federal) or exonerated (Eastern) them. The favourite interpretation of Ironsi's part is that he was told of the plot by the conspirators and replied something like this, "O.K., boys, if you pull it off, I'm with you, but if you don't, you're on your own.' In a manuscript written by Ifeajuna after the coup, and now believed lost, he claimed 'our general, whom we expected to help us, let us down', but there is no real evidence for this. Ironsi, who had first commanded the Nigerian military contingent then the entire United Nations force in the Congo, was already at the pinnacle of success and was no radical firebrand. In fact, when he had heard that a military move against the government was in the offing in December 1965, he had informed the Prime Minister, but the story was discounted for lack of proof and the general feeling that military coups could not happen in 'stable' Nigeria. Ironsi, 41 years old at the time of the coup and a former N.C.O. in the colonial army, who had risen to be the first indigenous commander of the Nigerian army a year earlier, was poles apart in background, education and temperament from the idealistic and hot-headed young majors, even though he came from the same tribe. His actions on the night of the coup - the fact that he was at a party on a ship in Lagos harbour probably saved his life - and his shock at the death of his comrades (among other deficiencies, Ironsi could list acting) were too genuine to be written off as a clever piece of dissimulation. Moreover, he took quick and brave action, at some personal risk, to crush the coup as soon as he knew about it."- John De St. Jorre, The Nigerian Civil War

Clearly, in December 1965, information about the coup leaked and Ironsi moved to inform the government and was ignored.

Zik decided to get out of there (late 1965) and stay out. Balewa didn't. That was my point. In doing so, he made himself seem like less than a "father of the nation" by running away when things got too hot. Not to say that it wasn't ultimately the right decision. But it was bad for public relations, is what I was saying.

Ironsi knew that there would be a move against the government but he didn't know who was responsible, otherwise he would have arrested them. Besides there had been rumours of a coup for months. That position is different from when you are tipped of by the leader of the coup.

'The substantive President, Nnamdi Azikiwe, also of eastern origin, had left the country in late 1965 on a health cruise to the caribbean, after allegedly being tipped off by his cousin, Major Ifeajuna, one of the masterminds of the coup and, some say, overall leader. In fact his personal physician, Dr. Idehen, abandoned him abroad when he got tired of the “health trip”, unaware that there was a good reason why Azikiwe did not want to return to Nigeria. Not even the Commonwealth Leaders Conference hosted for the first time by the country in early January was incentive enough for the President to return. After the coup, in a statement to the Press in England on January 16, however, among other things, Azikiwe stated:

“Violence has never been an instrument used by us, as founding fathers of the Nigerian Republic, to solve political problems. ….I consider it most unfortunate that our 'Young Turks' decided to introduce the element of violent revolution into Nigerian politics. No matter how they and our general public might have been provoked by obstinate and perhaps grasping politicians, it is an unwise policy……, As far as I am concerned, I regard the killings of our political and military leaders as a national calamity….”

The same Ifeajuna was later to be accused by Major Nzeogwu, leader of northern operations, of bungling or ignoring an apparent agreement to assassinate General Ironsi in Lagos - an oversight that caused the failure of the coup. Indeed, Nzeogwu bluntly declared publicly that the execution of the coup in the South was tribalistic.'

http://www.dawodu.com/omoigui13.htm
Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by Katsumoto: 1:07pm On Jan 23, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

As for the Akintola to Bello tip of a coup, that's not clear to me so if you could provide a source, I would appreciate it.

Here is what I've read:

"As long as he remained Premier, it became necessary for Akintola to continue to act tough. Plans were made with the Prime Minister and the Sardauna to use force to break the back of the resistance in the West. Akintola and Chief R.O.A. Akinjide, the Federal Minister of Education and Secretary General of the NNDP, went to meet the Sardauna in Kaduna on January 13, 1966. Present at the meeting were the Commander of the Fourth Battalion of the Nigerian Army stationed in Ibadan, Lt. Colonel A. Largema who was a regular visitor to the Premier's lodge and had become a friend of Chief S.L. Akintola. The visit to Kaduna was apparently made to review the security position in the West and to devise what other steps were needed to be taken to guarantee life and property. By this time, the security forces had been stretched to their limits. All the NNDP leaders were by permission of the police acting on instructions from the Prime Minister, provided not only with armed police but also with revolvers which they carried individually. Akintola and his Ministers were told to expect armed attacks by thugs of the UPGA and they were prepared for the worst. The situation was so terrible that when travelling, Ministers of State were followed by armed guards while they themselves carried revolvers. There were frequently armed ambushes of political opponents particularly in areas that the AG refused to give up. Houses of opponents were put to torch while opponents waited at the entrance to kill people trying to escape the fire. Cars of opponents were burned at random; traditional rulers who remained on the side of Chief Akintola were driven away from their thrones. AG and NCNC thugs, particularly the latter, went about on party orders spraying their opponents with petrol and then igniting them with matches. The situation became intolerable for everybody. All the attempts of both the federal and state governments to put down the rebellion proved abortive. It should, of course, be remembered that this chaos was not region-wide, but the disaffection in Abeokuta, Ijebu and Ondo provinces was such that the normal functions of government virtually ground to a halt. The options were few. The Federal Government could again take over the running of the affairs of the region under emergency powers conferred on the Prime Minister by the Constitution or the Prime Minister could back Akintola by force which would be tantamount to a military government in the West. He could let things drift and adopt a "wait and see" policy. He chose the second option of supporting Akintola at all cost.
During the crisis in the West, Chief Akintola had the habit of spending the weekend in his home town of Ogbomosho where he had a huge mansion. He went there apparently for the peace of mind which he never had in the Premier's lodge. He knew that in Ogbomosho, no matter what the situation was, he could count on his own people. It was also his style to be close to his Ogbomosho roots partly out of pride. He knew he would never have been what he was without the support of his people. It was therefore strange when he told his wife on the weekend beginning Friday, January 14, 1966, that he would stay in Ibadan, and that she should go to Ogbomosho, presumably to prepare their mansion for a private visit from Emperor Haile Selassie I of Ethiopia, who was then on official visit to Nigeria. Mrs. Faderera Akintola left Ibadan and stopped at Igbajo, her home-town, on a circuitous route to Ogbomosho. Chief Akintola had just returned by then from a meeting with the Prime Minister and the Premier of the North, Sir Ahmadu Bello, the Sardauna of Sokoto in Kaduna. Nobody is sure of what was discussed in Kaduna. Opponents of the three of them claimed that they were preparing to instigate a coup d' etat which would favour their political goals and aspirations. But what was most likely to have been decided was the increased use of the police and the army to subdue and suppress opposition forces in the West. But of course Akintola and the others were in possession of intelligence reports that the NCNC and the AG were planning a military putsch in conjunction with their sympathisers in the army. This report may just have been a figment of their imagination. Whether the tip was dismissed outright or countermeasures were being prepared is not clear to this day. What is certain is that Chief Akintola had just arrived from Kaduna on January 15, 1966, and saw to it that everybody had a cup of Ovaltine with Paludrine, a prophylactic against malaria - a practice he seems to have believed in religiously." - Akinjide Osuntokun, Chief S. Ladoke Akintola: His Life and Times

You have the account of someone that was in Oyo; see below for an account of someone that was in Kaduna. Akintola was the only one who believed that there would be a coup, hence why he had a machine gun with him when they went for him.

'Coup scares were all over the country. UPGA held its last meeting around 13/1/66 in Enugu. The Commonwealth conference held in Lagos and ended almost around 13/1/66. We were told that the British Prime Minister, late Harold Wilson alerted Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa about the coup which would soon take place. Similarly, Samuel Akintola came to Kaduna to inform Sir Ahmadu Bello about the coup. It was not clear whether the coup would be a senior or a junior officer’s coup. The coup finally arrived and took a very heavy toll. Northern political leaders as well as top Northern military officers were murdered in cold-blood.'

http://dailytrust.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3769:nigeria-at-50-my-reflections&catid=29:nigeria--50&Itemid=35
Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by PhysicsMHD(m): 2:28am On Feb 01, 2011
Ok, with regard to the Akintola thing, I guess he did try to warn others.

However, as much as I appreciate Omoigui's articles, such as that one the Midwest referendum or the Federal Military Blunders articles or the interviews of people from that era, I have to ask, is there is any actual source of an allegation that Omoigui references when he says "after allegedly being tipped off by his cousin"? Who's alleging?

If we are to take the special branch report as being mostly accurate on things like targets of the coup, this same report, which Omoigui posted and is aware of, says that Zik was never a target, so why would Zik even have to be tipped off by one of the coup members?

I think this is just rumor mongering, but I would happy to see evidence to the contrary.
Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by fstranger1: 2:31am On Feb 01, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Ok, with regard to the Akintola thing, I guess he did try to warn others.

However, as much as I appreciate Omoigui's articles, such as that one the Midwest referendum or the Federal Military Blunders articles or the interviews of people from that era, I have to ask, is there is any actual source of an allegation that Omoigui references when he says "after allegedly being tipped off by his cousin"? Who's alleging?

If we are to take the special branch report as being mostly accurate on things like targets of the coup, this same report, which Omoigui posted and is aware of, says that Zik was never a target, so why would Zik even have to be tipped off by one of the coup members?

I think this is just rumor mongering, but I would happy to see evidence to the contrary.

Very good conclusion. You must be a Bristol Alum, No?
Re: Nnamdi Azikwe (zik) As Short-sighted As Buhari by PhysicsMHD(m): 2:34am On Feb 01, 2011
fstranger1:

Very good conclusion. You must be a Bristol Alum, No?

lol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources / [PHOTO] Why APC Is After Saraki / Imo Seem To Be Richer Than Anambra Is True?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.