Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,509 members, 7,819,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:17 AM

Why North Dumped Atiku - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why North Dumped Atiku (717 Views)

2015: Why North Will Vote For Jonathan – Bafarawa, Saidu / Seen The Interview? Now I Know Why North Korea Were Pissed / Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why North Dumped Atiku by aljharem11(m): 5:11pm On Jan 15, 2011
THE perceived sins of former Vice President Atiku Abubakar against northern leaders during his first term in office played a major part in the decision of the region to turn away from him in spite of the Mallam Adamu Ciroma-led Northern Political Leaders Forum (NPLF) to prop him up as the region’s consensus candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

Saturday Tribune’s investigation revealed that despite spirited attempts of the so-called “nine wise men” to appeal to the sentiments of the region using PDP zoning argument, the people shunned the Turaki Adamawa in Thursday’s primary election in favour of President Goodluck Jonathan because they have not forgotten his insult on northern leaders.

Specifically, it was gathered that prominent people in the North worked against the election of Atiku over his criticism of northern elite during a Northern Economic Summit public lecture in Arewa House, Kaduna, while he was serving as vice president.

In an apparent effort to drum up support for the Olusegun Obasanjo administration, during the lecture, he blamed the poverty and underdevelopment of the region on the pursuit of self interest rather than the people’s interest by the leaders.

Atiku accused northern elite of piling up money in pits and under their beds while the rate of poverty among ordinary people of the region continued to soar.

According to Saturday Tribune sources, “Atiku came to Arewa House to abuse our leaders in their presence when he knows that in the North, we revere our leaders. Nobody has forgiven him since then.”

They were also miffed by his privatisation exercise which he spearheaded as they believed that he carried out the campaign for the benefit of Southerners rather than the North, his primary constituency.

The former vice president was also never forgiven for other comments he made which appeared to hurt the sensibilities of the North, including his declaration that even though the North was his primary constituency, he would never be tempted to use his position as vice president to feather his political nest.

http://tribune.com.ng/sat/index.php/news/3042-why-north-dumped-atiku.html
Re: Why North Dumped Atiku by Jakumo(m): 5:19pm On Jan 15, 2011
I sincerely believe that Ayatollah Buhari and Atiku the Hun should get married and live happily ever after on the dregs of their looted fortunes.   They will certainly find more satisfaction than they will ever see as candidates in elections that they don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of ever winning.
Re: Why North Dumped Atiku by johndoe200: 6:01pm On Jan 15, 2011
Jakumo:

I sincerely believe that Ayatollah Buhari and Atiku the Hun should get married and live happily ever after on the dregs of their looted fortunes.   They will certainly find more satisfaction than they will ever see as candidates in elections that they don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of ever winning.

I could not agree more!!!
Re: Why North Dumped Atiku by jamace(m): 6:28pm On Jan 15, 2011
Why didn't they tell Atiku this before the primaries? I hate excuses after a clean defeat. Or are they tactically trying to win favour from GEJ? Kai, na wa for politicians. shocked shocked
Re: Why North Dumped Atiku by hercules07: 6:30pm On Jan 15, 2011
@Jakumo

Your hatred of Buhari is unhealthy, though I do not support GEJ, I do not hate him. Can you please show with facts the funds Buhari looted?

(1) (Reply)

98 Killed In Ogun Over Land, Others, Says Police Chief / Bankole In Trouble As Reps Plot Against Him / Mobinga Wins As Wikileaks Is Nominated For The Nobel Prize

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.