Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,727 members, 7,820,515 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:21 PM

What You Pay Is What You Get: ASUU Member Tells Federal Government - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What You Pay Is What You Get: ASUU Member Tells Federal Government (1088 Views)

ASUU Strike: Ngige Hits ASUU Member With Charms (video) / "Expect The Unexpected", ASUU Tells Federal Government / "Scrap The JAMB If The Pass Mark Is Low" – Journalist Tells Federal Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What You Pay Is What You Get: ASUU Member Tells Federal Government by Nobody: 1:58pm On May 20, 2020
Without prejudice to ASUU's effort to confront the IPPIS regime and other related issues, I am in the process of fashioning my own (individual) to response to the new IPPIS truncated pay or salary.

1) Henceforth, I will work according to pay rate. I will not go into details here for personal reasons.

2). I will no longer participate in any NUC-organized events such as resource verification or course accreditation visits. I don't need all for my professional standing or profession. Several times I risked life and limb to do accreditation for literally peanuts. No more.

3) I will treat thesis supervision as either optional or based on university "paying" first, then "I work".

4) No more exertion in the system for peanuts. So the system gets what it pays for.

5). My health, well-being, repose and enlightened self-interest first (before duty), etc. etc.

Note: since I joined this profession at barely 19 years old in 1984-5, my salary has been rising steadily until 2020, in the regime of IPPIS and Buhari. So, my new personal battle cry is "what you pay is what you get from now on!"

3 Likes

Re: What You Pay Is What You Get: ASUU Member Tells Federal Government by Dididrumz(m): 2:01pm On May 20, 2020
You should try and add source (link) even if it's from Twitter
Re: What You Pay Is What You Get: ASUU Member Tells Federal Government by Nobody: 2:07pm On May 20, 2020
Dididrumz:
You should try and add source (link) even if it's from Twitter
As a former media employee, I'll advise you to not trust the mainstream media anymore. The level of censorship and brown envelopes changing hands is something else. With mainstream media, you will NEVER know the truth.

3 Likes

Re: What You Pay Is What You Get: ASUU Member Tells Federal Government by Dididrumz(m): 2:09pm On May 20, 2020
decode:

As a former media employee, I'll advise you to not trust the mainstream media anymore. The level of censorship and brown envelopes changing hands is something else. With mainstream media, you will NEVER know the truth.

Alright Sir.
Noted.
Re: What You Pay Is What You Get: ASUU Member Tells Federal Government by GreenDestiny2: 2:10pm On May 20, 2020
Well, just do what you think you can defend, sir, in case your employer issues you a query letter.

Reading between the lines, I can say, for the first time, that FG is wrong on this.

I have two sources of income. One is temporal; the other's longevity is not yet certain, and my take home monthly is 110k. But as a family man, the pay is like a peanut. Now compare it with a Prof earning about 300k monthly, that's next to nothing.

1 Like

Re: What You Pay Is What You Get: ASUU Member Tells Federal Government by slivertongue: 2:24pm On May 20, 2020
this ASUU - FG drama is unnecessary. for the sake of the dying system both parties should call a truce and return to the negotiating table
Re: What You Pay Is What You Get: ASUU Member Tells Federal Government by GreenDestiny2: 2:29pm On May 20, 2020
slivertongue:
this ASUU - FG drama is unnecessary. for the sake of the dying system both parties should call a truce and return to the negotiating table

Ph.D guys and profs work more in researchs, and supervise students for higher certifications; since our certificates in Nigeria almost have no use outside Nigeria, coupled with the fact that we don't contribute to technological and scientific breakthroughs in the world, FG may see no reason to massively fund a system from which they think the dividend is not realistic. If Nigeria can't launch a planetary probe, or find cure to a pandemic disease, a stingy government will see no reason to lavish the system.
Re: What You Pay Is What You Get: ASUU Member Tells Federal Government by slivertongue: 3:44pm On May 20, 2020
GreenDestiny2:

Ph.D guys and profs work more in researchs, and supervise students for higher certifications; since our certificates in Nigeria almost have no use outside Nigeria, coupled with the fact that we don't contribute to technological and scientific breakthroughs in the world, FG may see no reason to massively fund a system from which they think the dividend is not realistic. If Nigeria can't launch a planetary probe, or find cure to a pandemic disease, a stingy government will see no reason to lavish the system.

well delivered
Re: What You Pay Is What You Get: ASUU Member Tells Federal Government by brexit: 4:54pm On May 20, 2020
Shame unto you for having been working since when you are to be retired, tell us the people you have mentored since you started this job,
Please resign if you are not getting the required job satisfaction
Re: What You Pay Is What You Get: ASUU Member Tells Federal Government by Lyydia(f): 5:15pm On May 20, 2020
Oh, so this is not wat has been happening
With ur 1990 lecture notes, non approachable xracter, failure-happy, some even come to lectures 2weeks b4 exam.

Ain't supporting FG, but both aren't different.
They are corrupt.

1 Like

Re: What You Pay Is What You Get: ASUU Member Tells Federal Government by sinkhole: 5:32pm On May 20, 2020
Gradually and gradually, PMB is taking us back to the dark ages when lecturers were frustrated and never smile, when Professors used to wear uniform (just one single old cloth) to work, when the best car a lecturer could afford is Benz, peagut 504, Lada, etc!

By the time PMB finished with this country

2 Likes

Re: What You Pay Is What You Get: ASUU Member Tells Federal Government by Ibegtodiffer: 7:07am On May 22, 2020
brexit:
Shame unto you for having been working since when you are to be retired, tell us the people you have mentored since you started this job,
Please resign if you are not getting the required job satisfaction
Yeye talk. How many Professors do you have that you're asking one to retire? It seems some of you have failed to realize that if the FG employs 50,000 more academics in to the Universities, it won't be enough to cater for her needs.

A man works for 25-30yrs or more and earns less than a 4 year employee of NDIC, CBN, NNPC, needless to say that his earnings for all those years is less than what a toutish Nigerian senator gets for 1yr & you expect him not to protest a further deduction of that salary?.

In Nigeria, you have less than 30% academics with PhD because the few u bred are running to smaller African countries who place higher value on them. And someone says resign... As if you have his replacement.. Mtchew

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Was Ugly For Four Years!find Out Here! / My Heart Is Bleeding - Help Me! / Fuel For 65naira? Which Kain Fuel Be Dis O

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.