Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,142 members, 7,815,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:28 AM

Spent Ten Years Building My Small Business. Covid-19 Destroyed It In Eight Weeks - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Spent Ten Years Building My Small Business. Covid-19 Destroyed It In Eight Weeks (641 Views)

Help Me Build A Website For My Small Business With Just 7k / Download Small Business Big Money Book By Akin Alabi / Get A Free Website (i'm Building My Portfolio) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Spent Ten Years Building My Small Business. Covid-19 Destroyed It In Eight Weeks by bmdmixer: 1:01pm On May 22, 2020
I’m the owner of a small advertising company that specializes in helping companies attract online subscribers and manage SEO needs and social media content.

My wife and I started the company ten years ago this October and we’ve worked hard to get our business where it is today. Three years ago we reached an important milestone: a full year in which we didn’t have to seek out any new clients.

One hundred percent of our business that year came from returning clients and referrals. Ditto for the following year. And last year we were so busy that we were turning new clients away.

After nearly a decade of constant effort, I felt our work was finally paying off. We were just starting to get a taste of what it meant to live the American dream.

That all ended the moment the coronavirus wave came crashing down.

The day after President Donald Trump declared a national emergency, our first client asked to cancel their service agreement with us. “Advertising just isn’t a luxury I can afford right now,” they said. The next day the same request came from two more clients.

The following week we lost our second-biggest client. The hits kept coming and by last week, nearly half the income my family depends on had evaporated completely. Ten years of blood, sweat and tears lost in a matter of eight weeks.

And still I know the worst is probably yet to come.

I used to get excited every time the business phone would ring because it almost always meant a new customer or a new sales order. Now I dread the sound. Today it invariably means another client is calling to bid adieu.

I don’t blame our clients, of course – they’re almost all business owners themselves and are facing unprecedented circumstances of their own. One CEO told me he even had to let his brother go. But knowing our clients are justified in leaving doesn’t make the bitter pill any easier to swallow.

Perhaps the hardest part of watching our company crumble is feeling helpless to prevent it from collapsing further.

I’m normally a proactive person and when something is broken, I’m quick to jump in with a fix. In this case, I’m not even sure where or when to begin.

My go-to method of putting my head down and pushing forward isn’t working this time because replacing old clients with new ones has proven nearly impossible.

Most companies aren’t looking for......

complete story here
http://www.soundlala.com/news.php?id=1527

Re: Spent Ten Years Building My Small Business. Covid-19 Destroyed It In Eight Weeks by PatrickOkunima(m): 1:10pm On May 22, 2020
It's well.
Re: Spent Ten Years Building My Small Business. Covid-19 Destroyed It In Eight Weeks by Sanchez01: 1:32pm On May 22, 2020
Some many loopholes... I was going to ask some serious questions but there's no need to. It is a fiction after all.
Re: Spent Ten Years Building My Small Business. Covid-19 Destroyed It In Eight Weeks by Jayess: 1:37pm On May 22, 2020
Even though it doesn't solve anything but having someone to say it to you while they mean it is something.

So I say sorry, I understand your pain because I'm almost in the same boat just that I'm not 10years yet! cry cry

Being an entrepreneur is hard these days! embarassed
Re: Spent Ten Years Building My Small Business. Covid-19 Destroyed It In Eight Weeks by Nobody: 3:33am On May 25, 2020
You cab still build another one this time with 20 years
Re: Spent Ten Years Building My Small Business. Covid-19 Destroyed It In Eight Weeks by Nobody: 5:24am On May 25, 2020
bmdmixer:
I’m the owner of a small advertising company that specializes in helping companies attract online subscribers and manage SEO needs and social media content.

My wife and I started the company ten years ago this October and we’ve worked hard to get our business where it is today. Three years ago we reached an important milestone: a full year in which we didn’t have to seek out any new clients.

One hundred percent of our business that year came from returning clients and referrals. Ditto for the following year. And last year we were so busy that we were turning new clients away.

After nearly a decade of constant effort, I felt our work was finally paying off. We were just starting to get a taste of what it meant to live the American dream.

That all ended the moment the coronavirus wave came crashing down.

The day after President Donald Trump declared a national emergency, our first client asked to cancel their service agreement with us. “Advertising just isn’t a luxury I can afford right now,” they said. The next day the same request came from two more clients.

The following week we lost our second-biggest client. The hits kept coming and by last week, nearly half the income my family depends on had evaporated completely. Ten years of blood, sweat and tears lost in a matter of eight weeks.

And still I know the worst is probably yet to come.

I used to get excited every time the business phone would ring because it almost always meant a new customer or a new sales order. Now I dread the sound. Today it invariably means another client is calling to bid adieu.

I don’t blame our clients, of course – they’re almost all business owners themselves and are facing unprecedented circumstances of their own. One CEO told me he even had to let his brother go. But knowing our clients are justified in leaving doesn’t make the bitter pill any easier to swallow.

Perhaps the hardest part of watching our company crumble is feeling helpless to prevent it from collapsing further.

Even brick-and-mortar businesses that were hit most harder are finding their ways online to survive the pandemic induced global lockdown and a wholly online business is crying foul?

(1) (Reply)

How To Buy From The Uk Or Usa & Sell In Nigeria - Registration Is Free / Tips For Your Biz At This Challenging Time / Designing A Cscl Application With A Blog And A Wiki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.