Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,541 members, 7,958,668 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 08:10 PM

States’ IGR Hits N1.33trn In 2019, As Lagos Maintains First Spot - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / States’ IGR Hits N1.33trn In 2019, As Lagos Maintains First Spot (5597 Views)

Lagos Leads As States’ Mid-Year IGR Hits ₦849.12 Billion / States’ IGR Hits N691 Billion As Osun, Ondo, Others Recorded Biggest Growth / Will Adejoke Orelope-Adefulire Replace Osinbajo In 2019 As VP? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: States’ IGR Hits N1.33trn In 2019, As Lagos Maintains First Spot by Nobody: 10:46am On May 24, 2020
DrGoodman:
If you believe those figures up there, you can believe anything grin

These figures are made up just like everything in Nigeria from INEC results to population figures. All of Nigeria has remained poor because of poor data.

Data Are Made Up Here With political consideration in mind.
Ipon tout
Re: States’ IGR Hits N1.33trn In 2019, As Lagos Maintains First Spot by senatordave1(m): 12:01pm On May 24, 2020
Nowenuse:

You are just feeding Kyase with half truths.

There are Igala Indigenes in Bassa & Ajaokuta LGAs or don't u know?

Ebira kotos are the largest group in Lokoja & Kotonkarfe (Kogi) LGAs combined.
There are also Ebiras in Bassa LGA called Ebira Mozum.
Those that mean they are up to 50%?
Re: States’ IGR Hits N1.33trn In 2019, As Lagos Maintains First Spot by senatordave1(m): 12:10pm On May 24, 2020
9jakool:

Actually Bassa LGA was carved out for the minorities in Kogi East. You can divide it into three parts. The Western third bordering the confluence centered around Gboloko is inhabitted by the Bassa Nge. The central portion centered around Oguma is inhabited by the Bassa Komu, they are the largest by poulation in the LGA. The Eastern third centered around the town of Mozum is inhabited by the Ebira Mozum.

Actually his rough estimates are more accurate. Kogi East without Bassa LGA gives the Igala around 40-41%. I don't believe Igalas are native to Ajaokuta and if they are found there, their population would be negligable.

Oworos are the largest group in Lokoja as they occupy parts of Lokoja city and 70% of the LGA outside of the city.

CC senatordave1

Thank you my brother,I am not even from kogi or a northerner.I only visited kogi once so I have tried in terms of ethnic placing.the summary is that igalas are not more than 45% in kogi and ebiras do not exceed 30%..
Re: States’ IGR Hits N1.33trn In 2019, As Lagos Maintains First Spot by Nowenuse: 10:44am On May 25, 2020
9jakool:

Actually Bassa LGA was carved out for the minorities in Kogi East. You can divide it into three parts. The Western third bordering the confluence centered around Gboloko is inhabitted by the Bassa Nge. The central portion centered around Oguma is inhabited by the Bassa Komu, they are the largest by poulation in the LGA. The Eastern third centered around the town of Mozum is inhabited by the Ebira Mozum.
Actually, I am aware of this, however, there are still some Igala communities that wrongly fell under Bassa LGA. I have forgotten their names.
Same boundary misadjustment left some Igala towns in Benue state (Apa LGA) and some Idoma towns in Kogi state (Omala LGA).

Actually his rough estimates are more accurate. Kogi East without Bassa LGA gives the Igala around 40-41%. I don't believe Igalas are native to Ajaokuta and if they are found there, their population would be negligable.
Yes, Igalas are not more than 40% of Kogi population.

Lol, Igalas are the owners of Ajaokuta town (the LG headquarters). The town is just on the banks of the River Niger, though on the Western side. Many Ebira villages were merged with Ajaokuta town to give Ajaokuta LGA and that is why Ebiras are the majority in the LGA.

You forget that the Igalas have always been a people of the Niger, the Niger has never limited their settlements to the Wast. They used the Niger to trade with their Edo, Yoruba and Igbo neighbors and that is why there are so many other Igala speaking towns across the Niger, like Ilushi & Ifeku island in Edo state, Ebu, Nzam, Olumbanasa e.t.c in Delta and Anambra states.

Ajaokuta is not the only Igala town on the other side of the Niger.

Oworos are the largest group in Lokoja as they occupy parts of Lokoja city and 70% of the LGA outside of the city.

CC senatordave1

I agree that Oworos are the largest group in Lokoja LGA, but they are like 40-45% of the population of the LGA in my opinion and I don't know if they occupy 70% of the rural areas outside the city, it may not be up to that.

Anyway, here is a link of all the communities in Lokoja LGA below.

https://nigeriazipcodes.com/4442/list-of-towns-and-villages-in-lokoja-lga/

Lokoja LGA has 4 districts, Lokoja rural, Oworo, Kakanda & Kupa.

It seems like you forget that there are dozens of villages along the Niger river up till you enter Niger state and the northern parts of Lokoja LGA, and all these villages fall under Lokoja LGA and belong to Nupe speaking Kakandas & Kupas.

Go through the link above and you will see that the number of villages in Kakanda & Kupa districts outnumber those of Oworo district in a 55:45 manner. Besides, many villages under Oworo district are now part of Lokoja urban.

Kogi state in my opinion is 40% Igala, 25% Ebira tao, 20% Okun, then the remaining 15% goes to Ebira Koto, Ebira Mozum, Bassas, Gbagyis, Kakandas, Kupas and Ogori-Magongos.
Re: States’ IGR Hits N1.33trn In 2019, As Lagos Maintains First Spot by senatordave1(m): 11:10am On May 25, 2020
Nowenuse:

Actually, I am aware of this, however, there are still some Igala communities that wrongly fell under Bassa LGA. I have forgotten their names.
Same boundary misadjustment left some Igala towns in Benue state (Apa LGA) and some Idoma towns in Kogi state (Omala LGA).

Lol, Igalas are the owners of Ajaokuta town (the LG headquarters). The town is just on the banks of the River Niger, though on the Western side. Many Ebira villages were merged with Ajaokuta town to give Ajaokuta LGA and that is why Ebiras are the majority in the LGA.

You forget that the Igalas have always been a people of the Niger, the Niger has never limited their settlements to the Wast. They used the Niger to trade with their Edo, Yoruba and Igbo neighbors and that is why there are so many other Igala speaking towns across the Niger, like Ilushi & Ifeku island in Edo state, Ebu, Nzam, Olumbanasa e.t.c in Delta and Anambra states.

I agree that Oworos are the largest group in Lokoja LGA, but they are like 40-45% of the population of the LGA in my opinion and I don't know if they occupy 70% of the rural areas outside the city, it may not be up to that.

It seems like you forget that there are dozens of villages along the Niger river up till you enter Niger state and the northern parts of Lokoja LGA, and all these villages fall under Lokoja LGA and belong to Nupe speaking Kakandas & Kupas.

Go through the link above and you will see that the number of villages in Kakanda & Kupa districts outnumber those of Oworo district in a 55:45 manner. Besides, many villages under Oworo district are now part of Lokoja urban.

Kogi state in my opinion is 40% Igala, 25% Ebira tao, 20% Okun, then the remaining 15% goes to Ebira Koto, Ebira Mozum, Bassas, Gbagyis, Kakandas, Kupas and Ogori-Magongos.

Thank you oga nowenuse.I have always thought that igalas are not more than 45% of kogi.why will you say that igalas were wrongly placed in bassa when every ethnicity in Nigeria are displaced along several lgas? I think apart from bassa,there's another LGA in kogi east where the igalas do not dominate,.can't remember if its ibaji or omala.remind me.

Anyway,I've always known that yorubas or okun are not the majority in lokoja and koton large.again,why not put all the ebiras together instead of differentiating them into ebira koto or mozum

1 Like

Re: States’ IGR Hits N1.33trn In 2019, As Lagos Maintains First Spot by Nowenuse: 12:52pm On May 25, 2020
senatordave1:

Thank you oga nowenuse.I have always thought that igalas are not more than 45% of kogi.why will you say that igalas were wrongly placed in bassa when every ethnicity in Nigeria are displaced along several lgas? I think apart from bassa,there's another LGA in kogi east where the igalas do not dominate,.can't remember if its ibaji or omala.remind me.

Anyway,I've always known that yorubas or okun are not the majority in lokoja and koton large.again,why not put all the ebiras together instead of differentiating them into ebira koto or mozum

You are correct, in Nigeria, LGAs and states do not strongly correspond to ethnic boundaries. However, the military govts who created states and LGAs mostly wanted it to be so.

There is no other LGA in Kogi east that is not Igala dominated save for Bassa.
Ibaji, Olamaboro & Igalamela-Odolu are Southern Igalas. They speak different Igala dialect from the northern Igalas and are sometimes regarded as non-Igalas or Igbonized Igalas by the northern Igalas. A significant percentage of the Southern Igalas speak Igbo as a second language. There are also many Igbo settlers in these areas.
You also have the Ogugu people who are the majority in Olamaboro LGA. However, the Ogugus identify as Igalas. They are a unique Igala subgroup.

Oworos (Okuns) are only found in Lokoja LGA, they are not found in Koton Karfe LGA.

Ebira kotos for example do not even identify as Ebiras. They identify as EGBURA. They themselves (Ebira tribes) do not identify as one or like to be identified as one.
The difference between the various Ebira speaking groups is just like the difference between APA PEOPLE (IDOMOID PEOPLE), that is the Idomas, Igedes, Agatus, Alagos, Akyes, Yallas & Yaches. They may all have same origins and speak similar languages, but they have evolved unique identities for themselves.

The division among the Ebira tribes is also worsened by the fact that they are not contiguous with each other. Ebira kotos do not share land boundaries with Ebira Taos, they are separated by the Okuns & Bassas.
Re: States’ IGR Hits N1.33trn In 2019, As Lagos Maintains First Spot by senatordave1(m): 1:06pm On May 25, 2020
Nowenuse:

You are correct, in Nigeria, LGAs and states do not strongly correspond to ethnic boundaries. However, the military govts who created states and LGAs mostly wanted it to be so.

There is no other LGA in Kogi east that is not Igala dominated save for Bassa.
Ibaji, Olamaboro & Igalamela-Odolu are Southern Igalas. They speak different Igala dialect from the northern Igalas and are sometimes regarded as non-Igalas or Igbonized Igalas by the northern Igalas. A significant percentage of the Southern Igalas speak Igbo as a second language. There are also many Igbo settlers in these areas.
You also have the Ogugu people who are the majority in Olamaboro LGA. However, the Ogugus identify as Igalas. They are a unique Igala subgroup.

Oworos (Okuns) are only found in Lokoja LGA, they are not found in Koton Karfe LGA.

Ebira kotos for example do not even identify as Ebiras. They identify as EGBURA. They themselves (Ebira tribes) do not identify as one or like to be identified as one.
The difference between the various Ebira speaking groups is just like the difference between APA PEOPLE (IDOMOID PEOPLE), that is the Idomas, Igedes, Agatus, Alagos, Akyes, Yallas & Yaches. They may all have same origins and speak similar languages, but they have evolved unique identities for themselves.

The division among the Ebira tribes is also worsened by the fact that they are not contiguous with each other. Ebira kotos do not share land boundaries with Ebira Taos, they are separated by the Okuns & Bassas.

Are you saying igedes are part of idomas and not a different ethnicity
Re: States’ IGR Hits N1.33trn In 2019, As Lagos Maintains First Spot by Nowenuse: 1:10pm On May 25, 2020
senatordave1:

Are you saying igedes are part of idomas and not a different ethnicity

The definition of ethnicity is fluid!

The difference between Ilajes, Okuns, Oyos and Aworis is worse than the difference between Igedes & Idomas yet the others are considered one ethnic group.
It is up to Igedes, Idomas and other Idomoid speaking peoples to decide what they want for themselves.

1 Like

Re: States’ IGR Hits N1.33trn In 2019, As Lagos Maintains First Spot by 9jakool: 10:56am On May 26, 2020
Nowenuse:

That's bound to happen, but Igalas in Bassa would be very small.

ok.

I agree with the breakdown of the state, but I will have to disagree with your breakdown of Lokoja LGA. That list doesn't explain everything, it only lists the number of communities in each area. The Kakandas are around equal in population if not more than the Kupa, but they have less than half of the number of villages listed for Kupa. Number of communities does not give you much insight on population density or geographic area. Population density multiplied by land area gives you total population. Oworoland has a relatively higher population density and by far the largest land area outside of Lokoa metropolitan. Not to mention the largest town in the LGA outside of Lokoja metropolitan is Obajana in Oworo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tinubu Writes Reps, Seeks Consideration On Student Loan / Syrian Refugees Riot In Germany Over Koran / Nigeria Need Restructuring, 5 Countries Under Confederation Like UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.