Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,391 members, 7,819,402 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:42 PM

LIfe Of A Software Engineer - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / LIfe Of A Software Engineer (5905 Views)

Is Age 40 Too Old To Become A Software Engineer? / Whats The Expectant Salary For A Cybersecurity Software Engineer / How To Become A Software Engineer Even Without A University Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: LIfe Of A Software Engineer by lordally(m): 9:00am On Jul 30, 2020
omoluabiguy:

Lol... no be so. Life has been busy and as traffic no Dey for the post, no ginger to follow up, but I’ll be back.

Abeg do we dey wait ooo
Re: LIfe Of A Software Engineer by lordally(m): 9:07pm On Aug 23, 2020
omoluabiguy:

Soon

Still waiting ooooooo Biko oooooo
Re: LIfe Of A Software Engineer by omoluabiguy: 9:55pm On Aug 23, 2020
That feeling of optimism you get right after the completion of NYSC is second to none until you hit the Nigerian Labour market and be greeted with a whole new reality of hell on earth.
I was not part of the few privileged Nigerians who’s got uncles or friends at the helm of affairs that’ll get them a job thru a few phone calls.
The struggle was so real, I wondered what my life was turning into since my whole plans started shattering right in front of my own view.

All thanks to Nairaland back in 2016, I saw a thread of Etisalat recruitment and as a sharp guy, I quickly dust my pali and follow the thread oooo. Anywhere this thread dey go I must follow reach the bus stop. Kpakam, Na so I jam customer service job for etisalat ooo, I was initially feeling reluctant about the job since it’s nothing close to my course of study, but the remembrance of what I’ve been thru after NYSC is enough threat to settle for any job at this point.

Fast forward, we started Etisalat customer service job, but my spirit no dey the job, Na only my body dey there cuZ at all at all man must chop. I was still job hunting on the side and after 6 months with Etisalat, Na so I jam my first software development job with one small company for Lekki.....

I resigned from Etisalat and started my career as a software developer. December 2016. My first salary from this company made me feel like a human being after a very loooong time, but all thanks to the grind and hustle, my brain was totally over calculating and the fear of going back to those struggle became a motivation for me to keep working hard. My aspirations and desires started growing bigger than to settle for this Lekki job.

I started searching schools online to go for my masters degree because I just wanted to leave Nigeria by any means before I grow past my prime age. My salaries was being channeled towards applying to schools in USA and Australia for masters in my field (Software Engineering).
I wrote the GRE, wrote the TOEFL and boom I got admissions both in USA and Australia, but I settled to pursue the USA admission.

March 2017, I came to a new reality of how much money I’ll need to follow this plans up!..... Another struggle began! ......

2 Likes

Re: LIfe Of A Software Engineer by omoluabiguy: 9:55pm On Aug 23, 2020
lordally:

Still waiting ooooooo Biko oooooo

Always calm down lol
Re: LIfe Of A Software Engineer by syntaxa: 11:16pm On Aug 23, 2020
Following. Complete the story... smiley
Re: LIfe Of A Software Engineer by lordally(m): 11:16pm On Aug 23, 2020
omoluabiguy:
That feeling of optimism you get right after the completion of NYSC is second to none until you hit the Nigerian Labour market and be greeted with a whole new reality of hell on earth.
I was not part of the few privileged Nigerians who’s got uncles or friends at the helm of affairs that’ll get them a job thru a few phone calls.
The struggle was so real, I wondered what my life was turning into since my whole plans started shattering right in front of my own view.

All thanks to Nairaland back in 2016, I saw a thread of Etisalat recruitment and as a sharp guy, I quickly dust my pali and follow the thread oooo. Anywhere this thread dey go I must follow reach the bus stop. Kpakam, Na so I jam customer service job for etisalat ooo, I was initially feeling reluctant about the job since it’s nothing close to my course of study, but the remembrance of what I’ve been thru after NYSC is enough threat to settle for any job at this point.

Fast forward, we started Etisalat customer service job, but my spirit no dey the job, Na only my body dey there cuZ at all at all man must chop. I was still job hunting on the side and after 6 months with Etisalat, Na so I jam my first software development job with one small company for Lekki.....

I resigned from Etisalat and started my career as a software developer. December 2016. My first salary from this company made me feel like a human being after a very loooong time, but all thanks to the grind and hustle, my brain was totally over calculating and the fear of going back to those struggle became a motivation for me to keep working hard. My aspirations and desires started growing bigger than to settle for this Lekki job.

I started searching schools online to go for my masters degree because I just wanted to leave Nigeria by any means before I grow past my prime age. My salaries was being channeled towards applying to schools in USA and Australia for masters in my field (Software Engineering).
I wrote the GRE, wrote the TOEFL and boom I got admissions both in USA and Australia, but I settled to pursue the USA admission.

March 2017, I came to a new reality of how much money I’ll need to follow this plans up!..... Another struggle began! ......

I swear!!! Dope maam!!
Re: LIfe Of A Software Engineer by Anonime1105(m): 1:23pm On Aug 24, 2020
Nice story boss,

following bumper to bumper...
Re: LIfe Of A Software Engineer by Tunagy: 1:46pm On Aug 24, 2020
following boss, please update us..
Re: LIfe Of A Software Engineer by Karleb(m): 2:06pm On Aug 24, 2020
omoluabiguy:

Yeah! I like this part. cool
Re: LIfe Of A Software Engineer by omoluabiguy: 6:05am On Aug 25, 2020
While you are enjoying the story of my life, please don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel and follow my programming tutorials too. I Dey come make I go sleep first. To be continued.....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNrlP_X_VV4vg00P2QmDnw

2 Likes

Re: LIfe Of A Software Engineer by lordally(m): 12:47pm On Aug 26, 2020
omoluabiguy:
While you are enjoying the story of my life, please don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel and follow my programming tutorials too. I Dey come make I go sleep first. To be continued.....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNrlP_X_VV4vg00P2QmDnw

You never sleep finish I go pour you water ooo
Re: LIfe Of A Software Engineer by techtechh: 5:37pm On Aug 26, 2020
omoluabiguy:

Actually I’m not in Nigeria the moment so I can’t promise a call plus I no longer have access to the email I used in setting up this account and I’m afraid I couldn’t PM on here, but I have a private Facebook community group where I answer people’s questions regarding assignments or if they are stuck at work or for general consultation. I am more active on there. You might want to join the group too smiley
What is the Facebook page
Re: LIfe Of A Software Engineer by omoluabiguy: 10:08pm On Aug 26, 2020
Re: LIfe Of A Software Engineer by omoluabiguy: 10:08pm On Aug 26, 2020
lordally:

You never sleep finish I go pour you water ooo

Omo Na work ooooo. I go continue if my body don calm down small. Maybe this weekend lol
Re: LIfe Of A Software Engineer by omoluabiguy: 3:23pm On Aug 30, 2020
March 2017..... I received my letter of admission from a University in USA and looking through the admission package, I saw the tuition and fees, Omo.... I lose hope instantly but hey my eyes caught a part of the papers that shows a STEM scholarship that came with the admission Which actually reduced my total tuition but dang! I still need money meeehhhn!

Big shoutout to the USA Student Visa thread on Nairaland. I learnt a lot from there on how to apply for scholarships and how to get a soft landing in USA as an international student. Never the less, the journey wasn’t smooth, but Atleast you have an idea what to expect and how to navigate through the journey.
Fast forward.... I booked my visa appointment and I started reading a lot of student visa transcripts on the thread and people’s experience of the visa interview.... Omo anxiety wan finish me as I Dey read how many people got denied vs how many people got the visa. Wahala dey ooo shocked

Cleared up all my savings, paid for visa fee, I reserved another visa fee Incase dem deny me so I go re-fire!!! All I sha know be say I dey jahhh Mehn. I kept reading thru the thread, Infact I dey sleep and wake up on that thread just to read everyday visa interview experiences and this really helped position me and have a good analysis of what the interview is like and how to navigate thru it. I did my personal homework as well and ensured I put my paperworks right.

A day to the visa interview, I just dey pray while building confidence inside of me say kpata kpata if dem bounce me, I go reapply So I don set plan B already. On the interview day gangan.... my interview was for 7am at Walter Carrington so I woke up around 4:45am, got myself together and arranged a taxi, left home around 5:30 and got to Walter Carrington by 6:45am. Omo come see crowd.... Wetin dey happen for real I was asking myself if the whole Nigeria wan run comot ni. shocked

We did all check in wahala and finally made it into the main building by 7:30ish sha. The interview hall was another vibes cuz anxiety everywhere. It’s an open interview for everyone, just face your interview windows and publicly tell your story. Every malam with him kettle lipsrsealed
I happened to be the 4th on the queue and the First Lady got approved, she’s going for her bachelors in accounting and it felt a little relieving for me , the other two in front me got straight denied because their story wasn’t making sense to the interviewer and my confidence dropped again. And it got to my turn.
The interviewer could clearly see how disorganized I was because I lost all the confidence and preparations I had built after seeing two people in front of me being bounced.
Interviewer asked me for my passport and I-20. Na so I start dey scatter my folder dey find am, he said I should take my time and calm down, he faced his computer and started doing other things while waiting for me to fix myself lol. I got the passport and document ready and passed it to him.
He asked why I’m going for masters at XYZ university and I started talking to him, at this point, I was getting my confidence back cuz I just stopped giving a f**k patapata you go deny me but I got my A game back and he seems impressed by the interview. He approved my student visa. The moment I heard your visa is approved, my head went totally light in disbelieve but I composed myself and quickly walked out....cuz I don’t even want him to call me back and ask for something else lol.

The security men could see the excitement in me and quickly hyped me for roger. Na so I give dem 1500 naira lol. I carry taxi go back home solo like nothing happened. By 10:30 I don reach home, comot all my suit and tie and just lowkey dey waka for my street like nothing happened, I saw the boiz for area smoking igbo for junction and hailed them as usual, for my mind I just dey talk say meehhhnn .... God go show una way ooo, so these guys no know say I dey flee naija soon lol. I was just watching everything and taking my time to enjoy naija sceneries knowing that I’m taking off soon.

I even boarded BRT to Ikorodu back and forth just to feel the Lagos struggle one more time lol. Anyways, I booked my ticket after getting my visa and changed all the remaining money I have in my life to US dollars, did few shopping and packed my baggage just keep am for my room till the flight date.

Fast forward to flight date! We took off MMIA and had a stop over in Dubai, continued from Dubai and touched down yankee finally.... It felt relieving but the struggle had just began. The Naija guys in my school I had connected with (before I left naija ) to reserve a room for me so we can do housemate dulled me when I reached Yankee cuZ they didn’t even pick my call after telling them I’ve arrived the college.

I never budgeted to rent a full apartment by myself cuz I can’t afford it, but I had to quickly find an apartment the same day which actually got me to squander all my money, but no shit lol I learned fast not to trust Nigerians out here so I dusted my shoulders and braced up for the struggles ahead. Apartment had me deposit 3 months upfront as a new comer without guarantor lol. All the money I had planned to use for part tuition Payment, settling, winter shopping, all gone. That was the moment I came to the reality that I am all by myself..... I went flat broke the first month I arrived and the grad school struggle began......

6 Likes

Re: LIfe Of A Software Engineer by fortifiedng: 2:30am On Aug 31, 2020
omoluabiguy:
March 2017..... I received my letter of admission from a University in USA and looking through the admission package, I saw the tuition and fees, Omo.... I lose hope instantly but hey my eyes caught a part of the papers that shows a STEM scholarship that came with the admission Which actually reduced my total tuition but dang! I still need money meeehhhn!

Big shoutout to the USA Student Visa thread on Nairaland. I learnt a lot from there on how to apply for scholarships and how to get a soft landing in USA as an international student. Never the less, the journey wasn’t smooth, but Atleast you have an idea what to expect and how to navigate through the journey.
Fast forward.... I booked my visa appointment and I started reading a lot of student visa transcripts on the thread and people’s experience of the visa interview.... Omo anxiety wan finish me as I Dey read how many people got denied vs how many people got the visa. Wahala dey ooo shocked

Cleared up all my savings, paid for visa fee, I reserved another visa fee Incase dem deny me so I go re-fire!!! All I sha know be say I dey jahhh Mehn. I kept reading thru the thread, Infact I dey sleep and wake up on that thread just to read everyday visa interview experiences and this really helped position me and have a good analysis of what the interview is like and how to navigate thru it. I did my personal homework as well and ensured I put my paperworks right.

A day to the visa interview, I just dey pray while building confidence inside of me say kpata kpata if dem bounce me, I go reapply So I don set plan B already. On the interview day gangan.... my interview was for 7am at Walter Carrington so I woke up around 4:45am, got myself together and arranged a taxi, left home around 5:30 and got to Walter Carrington by 6:45am. Omo come see crowd.... Wetin dey happen for real I was asking myself if the whole Nigeria wan run comot ni. shocked

We did all check in wahala and finally made it into the main building by 7:30ish sha. The interview hall was another vibes cuz anxiety everywhere. It’s an open interview for everyone, just face your interview windows and publicly tell your story. Every malam with him kettle lipsrsealed
I happened to be the 4th on the queue and the First Lady got approved, she’s going for her bachelors in accounting and it felt a little relieving for me , the other two in front me got straight denied because their story wasn’t making sense to the interview and my confidence dropped again. And it got to my turn.
The interviewer could clearly see how disorganized I was because I lost all the confidence and preparations I had built after seeing two people in front of me being bounced.
Interviewer asked me for my passport and I-20. Na so I start dey scatter my folder dey find am, he said I should take my time and calm down, he faced his computer and started doing other things while waiting for me to fix myself lol. I got the passport and document ready and passed it to him.
He asked why I’m going for masters at XYZ university and I started talking to him, at this point, I was getting my confidence back cuz I just stopped giving a f**k patapata you go deny me but I got my A game back and he seems impressed by the interview. He approved my student visa. The moment I heard your visa is approved, my head went totally light in disbelieve but I composed myself and quickly walked out....cuz I don’t even want him to call me back and ask for something else lol.

The security men could see the excitement in me and quickly hyped me for roger. Na so I give dem 1500 naira lol. I carry taxi go back home solo like nothing happened. By 10:30 I don reach home, comot all my suit and tie and just lowkey dey waka for my street like nothing happened, I saw the boiz for area smoking igbo for junction and hailed them as usual, for my mind I just dey talk say meehhhnn .... God go show una way ooo, so these guys no know say I dey flee naija soon lol. I was just watching everything and taking my time to enjoy naija sceneries knowing that I’m taking off soon.

interesting

1 Like

Re: LIfe Of A Software Engineer by denvers: 11:20am On Aug 31, 2020
fortifiedng:

interesting
educating
Re: LIfe Of A Software Engineer by techtechh: 12:47pm On Aug 31, 2020
Wow
The hustle is real
Motivating story
Re: LIfe Of A Software Engineer by omoluabiguy: 5:20pm On Sep 04, 2020
Started working my ass off thru grad school and that was a very looooong 2 years of my life with so many ups and downs. Took some very high level advanced level programming courses that really reset my brains and opened me up into a new world of ideology.
Indeed you have to be lost before you can rediscover yourself.
Fast forward to graduation. I completed my masters in software Engineering and entered the job market. It has been a whole different spans of Endless learning even while on the job.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the life of a software engineer continues....

Do you want to learn programming for free? Check out my YouTube tutorials and thank me later.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNrlP_X_VV4vg00P2QmDnw?sub_confirmation=1

You can as well join our Facebook community where we answer questions, discuss and share ideas about technologies
https://www./738709033333419/?ref=share
Re: LIfe Of A Software Engineer by vheckthor1: 6:13pm On Sep 04, 2020
omoluabiguy:
Started working my ass off thru grad school and that was a very looooong 2 years of my life with so many ups and downs. Took some very high level advanced level programming courses that really reset my brains and opened me up into a new world of ideology.
Indeed you have to be lost before you can rediscover yourself.
Fast forward to graduation. I completed my masters in software Engineering and entered the job market. It has been a whole different spans of Endless learning even while on the job.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the life of a software engineer continues....

Do you want to learn programming for free? Check out my YouTube tutorials and thank me later.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNrlP_X_VV4vg00P2QmDnw?sub_confirmation=1

You can as well join our Facebook community where we answer questions, discuss and share ideas about technologies
https://www./738709033333419/?ref=share
Senior man I am a .Net Developer but I need your help on a personal level that I can't post here, how can I reach you privately
Re: LIfe Of A Software Engineer by techtechh: 6:53pm On Sep 05, 2020
Can you tell us your journey through the different programming journeys.
Why you chose them
Learning process
Job processes as well

1 Like

Re: LIfe Of A Software Engineer by oxymoron(m): 5:43pm On Sep 12, 2020
Inspiring...
I'm still a student in my finals
.. Not studying anything programming related or mathematical but I'm very much interested in programming, been really struggling to get a laptop but I'm not deterred. I'm looking for someone to put me through A mentor
Here's my email Emanuelbrwn24@gmail.com and my phone number
09026347675 If anyone wants to reach out to me
Re: LIfe Of A Software Engineer by Nick6Rige: 12:38pm On Feb 22, 2022
Finding a good job for many people is now becoming a big problem because the labor market places too strict requirements on candidates. However, I believe that we should hope for a good future and besides, it is worth being aware of jobs of the future 2025, where it would be possible to work for specialists who cannot find a suitable job now. I hope this article will be of more use to you as well as to me.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It That There Is Nothing To Code Anymore? / Top 15 Programming Languages To Learn 2014-2015 / How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.