Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,657 members, 7,809,483 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:25 AM

How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job (5828 Views)

Ugrade To The Next Level With Netflix Premium Ultra 4k HD - "Take Action Today" / The Easiest Way To Record Netflix Video With Vidmore Screen Recorder / Netflix Premium Acct For Sale....1k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Brogrammer(m): 12:31pm On Jun 11, 2022
A Netflix engineer with 6 years of experience and 1 month of prep on leetcode, system design & behavioral interviews landed a job making $800K

He went through 7 interviews and received 7 offers from Airbnb, Google, Snap, Roblox, Stripe, AtoB, and Quant trading firm.

Below is what each company offer him:

AtoB - $325k
Airbnb- $450k
Google- $480k
Roblox- $560k
Snap- $576k
Stripe- $690k
Quant Firm- $800k
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Brogrammer(m): 12:34pm On Jun 11, 2022
I don't know if I'm doing this frontend the right way undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jun 11, 2022
Source?

Why did he stop the interview at Netflix if I may ask?
Since it seems he's catching fun by doing interviews.

And how come they all had Job openings at same time

1 Like

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by AllBlack: 1:31pm On Jun 11, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:
Source?

There is always space in the pot for the right ingredient.

4 Likes

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by kmaster007: 2:58pm On Jun 11, 2022
Who get Netflix login plz
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Brogrammer(m): 3:25pm On Jun 11, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:
Source?

https://twitter.com/TeamBlind/status/1534581576452845574?t=hDE6WDuk_RnN2t5LwHvx7g&s=19

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by InfinityFabric: 5:49pm On Jun 11, 2022
Of course High Frequency Trading will pay $800K, they make money by the nanoseconds. They don't joke around.
Almost everything they use is customized.

Yes, you're doing the front-end wrong. I doubt anyone will pay that much for UI.
To be fair, only few people are capable of the work required for that kid of salary.
Again, there are other ways to make money, and the money becomes mostly meaningless at a point in your life

6 Likes

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by SavageBoy: 9:28pm On Jun 11, 2022
Let's leave the salary for a moment.

That guy is not your regular software engineer. He's among the top 5% in the tech field. Just take a look at the companies he got offers from and their various salaries

A lot of people with twice the years of experience he has will not be able to command such an high salary.

Be it tech or any other industry you're in, you would be able to greatly monetize your skill and get very high financial reward once you're exceptional in your field. And being exceptional comes with an extensive period of intense hardwork and dedication.

Tech is the new oil, Yes, but don't go and run into it thinking you would be commanding 6-7figure salary within 1/2 years as a mediocre SWE

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:59pm On Jun 11, 2022
InfinityFabric:
Of course High Frequency Trading will pay $800K, they make money by the nanoseconds. They don't joke around.
Almost everything they use is customized.

Yes, you're doing the front-end wrong. I doubt anyone will pay that much for UI.
To be fair, only few people are capable of the work required for that kid of salary.
Again, there are other ways to make money, and the money becomes mostly meaningless at a point in your life

Honestly with big companies no one cares if you are frontend, backend, embedded systems or whatever. The most important thing is data structures and algorithms. Grinding thousands and thousands of leetcode questions is the koko. They believe once you understand data structures and algorithms you can work in any software field. A frontend software engineer might join a big company like google and start working on embedded systems. So long as you passed through that system they believe you can cope.

In this same nairaland someone is earning 33k USD per month. Another guy here in Lagos cause he knows elixir got a 400k usd per year job in the USA. He stays here in lagos at gbagada. Data structures is the koko. Nothing else is important. I realised it so late and I am paying dearly for my foolishness. I could have been on 7k USD per month remote or relocation out of this shithole.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:07pm On Jun 11, 2022
SavageBoy:
Let's leave the salary for a moment.

That guy is not your regular software engineer. He's among the top 5% in the tech field. Just take a look at the companies he got offers from and their various salaries

A lot of people with twice the years of experience he has will not be able to command such an high salary.

Be it tech or any other industry you're in, you would be able to greatly monetize your skill and get very high financial reward once you're exceptional in your field. And being exceptional comes with an extensive period of intense hardwork and dedication.

Tech is the new oil, Yes, but don't go and run into it thinking you would be commanding 6-7figure salary within 1/2 years as a mediocre SWE

You dont need to be amongst the top 5 percent to command such a salary. You can be a mediocre dev and get such high salaries. The skills to interview as a software engineer and the skills to actually be a good software engineer are two opposite ends of the spectrum. If you spend the time studying for interviews you will be able to get such salary but if you spend the time learning to be a good programmer you will be a good programmer but you will never make it into any of the companies paying such salaries. If you check that guys leetcode profile he might have solved every question there and probably just revises them whenever he has interviews.

Probably someone like alex wice https://leetcode.com/awice/. He has solved almost everything there and doesnt stay too long at any job. He earns more than a million dollars a year.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by InfinityFabric: 10:09pm On Jun 11, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Honestly with big companies no one cares if you are frontend, backend, embedded systems or whatever.
You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Frontend is more replaceable than anything else.
It's like you've never written any production for embedded system and dealt with archaic OS/Firmware.

The most important thing is data structures and algorithms. Grinding thousands and thousands of leetcode questions is the koko. They believe once you understand data structures and algorithms you can work in any software field.
Shakes head for you.

A frontend software engineer might join a big company like google and start working on embedded systems. So long as you passed through that system they believe you can cope.
Give us an example of that transition.

In this same nairaland someone is earning 33k USD per month. Another guy here in Lagos cause he knows elixir got a 400k usd per year job in the USA. He stays here in lagos at gbagada. Data structures is the koko. Nothing else is important.
1.800K/12 = 66K/month
2. How many people on Earth knows Erlang and/or Elixir ?

Payment basically depends on the company's product, but it's so clear UI/UX, frontend guys are too much in the market than say system programmers.

1 Like

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:11pm On Jun 11, 2022
InfinityFabric:

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Frontend is more replaceable than anything else.
It's like you've never written any production for embedded system and dealt with archaic OS/Firmware.

Shakes head for you.

1.800K/12 = 66K/month

Payment basically depends on the company's product, but it's so clear UI/UX, frontend guys are too much in the market than say system programmers.

You can research this. I am sure if you go on LinkedIn you will find a lot of examples. Big companies do not care about your stack. Everyone gets the same interview process. If you cant pass get out.
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jun 11, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Honestly with big companies no one cares if you are frontend, backend, embedded systems or whatever. The most important thing is data structures and algorithms. Grinding thousands and thousands of leetcode questions is the koko. They believe once you understand data structures and algorithms you can work in any software field. A frontend software engineer might join a big company like google and start working on embedded systems. So long as you passed through that system they believe you can cope.

In this same nairaland someone is earning 33k USD per month. Another guy here in Lagos cause he knows elixir got a 400k usd per year job in the USA. He stays here in lagos at gbagada. Data structures is the koko. Nothing else is important. I realised it so late and I am paying dearly for my foolishness. I could have been on 7k USD per month remote or relocation out of this shithole.
Big cap
No he doesn't angry
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:37pm On Jun 11, 2022
Think4Myself:

Big cap
No he doesn't angry

Hahaha when I posted that someone was earning 33k USD per month. The person earning such posted on the thread. People are making unbelievable money in this tech thing. Unbelievable money. Do you know that there are Nigerians that have from Nigeria gotten internships at this hedge funds. There was one a while back they were being 21000 USD a month for internship. People are getting insane jobs. I see It in the discord, Facebook and slack groups I am in now. In fact it's why I want to get Adderall so I can forego sleep for the next one to two years and study leetcode so I can get into a big company. Things are happening that you will never believe. Unilag boys are getting internships in companies like Goldman Sachs, bank of America, Bloomberg and google. I hear that leetcode is now a tradition amongst the engineering and computer science students.

Just study hard these jobs are there and the people getting it have one head.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by stanliwise(m): 10:38pm On Jun 11, 2022
Brogrammer:
A Netflix engineer with 6 years of experience and 1 month of prep on leetcode, system design & behavioral interviews landed a job making $800K

He went through 7 interviews and received 7 offers from Airbnb, Google, Snap, Roblox, Stripe, AtoB, and Quant trading firm.

Below is what each company offer him:

AtoB - $325k
Airbnb- $450k
Google- $480k
Roblox- $560k
Snap- $576k
Stripe- $690k
Quant Firm- $800k
Naso, as e open the mail dey show una one by one abi?
The way people take dey yarn lamba for this nairaland ehn
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Ebubu: 10:42pm On Jun 11, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Hahaha when I posted that someone was earning 33k USD per month. The person earning such posted on the thread. People are making unbelievable money in this tech thing. Unbelievable money. Do you know that there are Nigerians that have from Nigeria gotten internships at this hedge funds. There was one a while back they were being 21000 USD a month for internship. People are getting insane jobs. I see It in the discord, Facebook and slack groups I am in now. In fact it's why I want to get Adderall so I can forego sleep for the next one to two years and study leetcode so I can get into a big company. Things are happening that you will never believe. Unilag boys are getting internships in companies like Goldman Sachs, bank of America, Bloomberg and google. I hear that leetcode is now a tradition amongst the engineering and computer science students.

Just study hard these jobs are there and the people getting it have one head.

Please i want to go into tech.

I'm in the health field but i would like to switch or mix it up. More like eating ogbono and melon soup, but if i find my foot well in the tech I can switch fully.

I don't want to be one of the sheep in the crowd. Lots of tech guys already doing front end and back end. The sector these big balling guys you mentioned, learnt, is the sector I wanr to learn. Is there any problem dreaming big ?

So, since that is the case, what do i need to learn? leetcode ?
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:46pm On Jun 11, 2022
Ebubu:

Please i want to go into tech.

I'm in the health field but i would like to switch or mix it up. More like eating ogbono and melon soup, but if i find my foot well in the tech I can switch fully.

I don't want to be one of the sheep in the crowd. Lots of tech guys already doing front end and back end. The sector these big balling guys you mentioned, learnt, is the sector I wanr to learn. Is there any problem dreaming big ?

So, since that is the case, what do i need to learn? leetcode ?

The most important thing to crack the interviews at these companies is a solid understanding of data structures and algorithms and systems design. They are taught in computer science at undergraduate level. I dont want to derail the thread. Check through my topics I have a guide do research online and then make your choice. Its not an easy journey its long, brutal and unforgiving.

3 Likes

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Deicide: 10:58pm On Jun 11, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
In fact it's why I want to get Adderall so I can forego sleep for the next one to two years and study leetcode so I can get into a big company..
Do they sell this drug in Nigeria? I hear most programmers use it a lot to gain competitive advantage in their place of work.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:01pm On Jun 11, 2022
Deicide:
Do they sell this drug in Nigeria? I hear most programmers use it a lot to gain competitive advantage in their place of work.

I am looking for it seriously. If I cant get it I am gonna smuggle it in. I don't mind foregoing sleep for the next one to two years to learn everything on leetcode. If I die in the process so be it.

2 Likes

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Deicide: 11:02pm On Jun 11, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

I am looking for it seriously. If I cant get it I am gonna smuggle it in. I don't mind foregoing sleep for the next one to two years to learn everything on leetcode. If I die in the process so be it.
Haba bro no kill yourself o grin
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:04pm On Jun 11, 2022
Deicide:
Haba bro no kill yourself o grin

Get rich or die trying bros grin. Someone recommended weed but all the weed smokers I see are useless lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

12 Likes

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Deicide: 11:11pm On Jun 11, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Get rich or die trying bros grin. Someone recommended weed but all the weed smokers I see are useless lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by SavageBoy: 11:58pm On Jun 11, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

You dont need to be amongst the top 5 percent to command such a salary. You can be a mediocre dev and get such high salaries. The skills to interview as a software engineer and the skills to actually be a good software engineer are two opposite ends of the spectrum. If you spend the time studying for interviews you will be able to get such salary but if you spend the time learning to be a good programmer you will be a good programmer but you will never make it into any of the companies paying such salaries. If you check that guys leetcode profile he might have solved every question there and probably just revises them whenever he has interviews.

Probably someone like alex wice https://leetcode.com/awice/. He has solved almost everything there and doesnt stay too long at any job. He earns more than a million dollars a year.

There are big possibilities with leetcode I must say
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:03am On Jun 12, 2022
SavageBoy:

There are big possibilities with leetcode I must say

That's the way see eh. I am on discord groups. This white and asian kids use Adderall to Study leetcode. Once you take Adderall you brain works ten times faster and you become seriously hyperfocused. The competition is so intense. It's all they spend their time doing. I am studying with an Indian guy who's still an undergraduate. He's in level 200 and has done 720 questions. He just got an internship at cisco.

My own is that after work I am so tired and I can't do more than 3 to 4 questions so my progress is very slow. By 1 am I start to feel sleepy even putting water in my legs and trying to study doesn't work for me. I just wish I could loss the ability to sleep temporarily and still function optimally.

1 Like

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by SavageBoy: 12:12am On Jun 12, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

That's the way see eh. I am on discord groups. This white and asian kids use Adderall to Study leetcode. Once you take Adderall you brain works ten times faster and you become seriously hyperfocused. The competition is so intense. It's all they spend their time doing. I am studying with an Indian guy who's still an undergraduate. He's in level 200 and has done 720 questions. He just got an internship at cisco.

My own is that after work I am so tired and I can't do more than 3 to 4 questions so my progress is very slow. By 1 am I start to feel sleepy even putting water in my legs and trying to study doesn't work for me. I just wish I could loss the ability to sleep temporarily and still function optimally.

Chief no go take something wey go knock your head oh grin

Well thank God your mum is a doctor.

Maybe I'll just calm down and learn this tech thing for like 1-2years,no rushing; learn the web Dev technologies, study and get good with DS&A and solve tons of leetcode questions. By the time I'll be finishing, I'll be getting a first huge salary job.
As per applying the knowledge I've gained,I might work on personal projects and freelance.

E be like say person gats calm down learn this tech thing well before person go blow. All of us want leave trenches in six months na why we dey rush want learn HTML,CSS and JS in 3 months grin

7 Likes

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:14am On Jun 12, 2022
SavageBoy:

Chief no go take something wey go knock your head oh grin

Well thank God your mum is a doctor.

Maybe I'll just calm down and learn this tech thing for like 1-2years,no rushing; learn the web Dev technologies, study and get good with DS&A and solve tons of leetcode questions. By the time I'll be finishing, I'll be getting a first huge salary job.
As per applying the knowledge I've gained,I might work on personal projects and freelance.

E be like say person gats calm down learn this tech thing well before person go blow. All of us want leave trenches in six months na why we dey rush want learn HTML,CSS and JS in 3 months grin

Lol the Indian guy is just now learning html and css for his internship. He spent all his time learning algorithms and design patterns. Well it depends sha just get job you fit start with that html and css then when you get job you start dey learn those dsa cause dsa fit take you more than 2 years to get good. At least to be earning some money during that period. I don't know your situation. If your parents are very well to do and rucb then it's wiser to learn everything to get the high paying role but if you are from a poor family it's better to learn something that can give you a job at least and you can start learning the core things in that job. Imagine you dey learn dsa or design patterns and laptop spoil and You went through serious pain to even get the laptop lipsrsealed

5 Likes

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by SavageBoy: 12:22am On Jun 12, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Lol the Indian guy is just now learning html and css for his internship. He spent all his time learning algorithms and design patterns. Well it depends sha just get job you fit start with that html and css then when you get job you start dey learn those dsa cause dsa fit take you more than 2 years to get good. At least to be earning some money during that period. I don't know your situation. If your parents are very well to do and rucb then it's wiser to learn everything to get the high paying role but if you are from a poor family it's better to learn something that can give you a job at least and you can start learning the core things in that job. Imagine you dey learn dsa or design patterns and laptop spoil and You went through serious pain to even get the laptop lipsrsealed

That Indian guy funny oh. Person never enter the main programming, he don't already start to dey learn algorithms.

For my case, I have a side hustle that's keeping me going unlike when man was broke and wanted to learn programming in 2 months. Due to the time demand and work project on ground,I haven't even continued the programming sef for sometime now.

I plan resuming next month, and will do so with full force
I think it would be a good idea to start learning DS&A immediately sef
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:24am On Jun 12, 2022
SavageBoy:

That Indian guy funny oh. Person never enter the main programming, he don't already start to dey learn algorithms.

For my case, I have a side hustle that's keeping me going unlike when man was broke and wanted to learn programming in 2 months. Due to the time demand and work project on ground,I haven't even continued the programming sef for sometime now.

I plan resuming next month, and will do so with full source
I think it would be a good idea to start learning DS&A immediately sef

Most of the algorithm gurus don't know anything about the real programming as you think. All the spend their time on is on algorithms unfortunately that's the skill needed for the job. Some start learning the real programming after they have gotten job and these companies are so big that no one expects you to make any impact till like 6 months after you have joined. Thats enough for any serious person to self learn front end and backend to start being productive.
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Hannania(m): 12:25am On Jun 12, 2022
InfinityFabric:

Shakes head for you.

1.800K/12 = 66K/month

No one is talking about their quantity, but the kind of company they work for. From your comment, it seems you don't know how much the base salaries of fresh graduates at FAANG make in tech roles. Their range starts from $250k total compensation(base, stock and bonus). This is irrespective of position.

And concerning what Tenza said about switching roles, it's 100% true. Just that it's not common for front end to move to back end. But they make it clear that you have to be ready to learn new technologies.

My Colleague who did an internship with Facebook recently, was asked to learn and build a source product module on Hack(Facebooks variation of PHP). The length of the internship was just three months, but he had 6 weeks to do that.

They will only do that because they know he has an IQ for that. That's how big tech operates

I guess you need to join Blind platform, to see compensation of engineers
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by SavageBoy: 12:32am On Jun 12, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Most of the algorithm gurus don't know anything about the real programming as you think. All the spend their time on is on algorithms unfortunately that's the skill needed for the job. Some start learning the real programming after they have gotten job and these companies are so big that no one expects you to make any impact till like 6 months after you have joined. Thats enough for any serious person to self learn front end and backend to start being productive.

Wait oh!
I'm just hearing this for the first time?
How are algorithms the skill needed for the job?
And how would someone get a tech job with just algorithms knowledge??
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:35am On Jun 12, 2022
SavageBoy:
m

Wait oh!
I'm just hearing this for the first time?
How are algorithms the skill needed for the job?
And how would someone get a tech job with just algorithms knowledge??

Lol algorithms skills are needed for the interviews rather. Interview in big tech is centered solely around algorithms and systems design. No one cares about your stack or your field of software development. I don't know if you follow this girl adaora. She's very intelligent. She used to be a frontend developer but now she does cloud computing and embedded systems at Microsoft. With big companies it's all about the ability to learn fast and how smart you are not what you know or have done before. You should be able to pick up anything and run with it.
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:36am On Jun 12, 2022
Hannania:
No one is talking about their quantity, but the kind of company they work for. From your comment, it seems you don't know how much the base salaries of fresh graduates at FAANG make in tech roles. Their range starts from $250k total compensation(base, stock and bonus). This is irrespective of position.

And concerning what Tenza said about switching roles, it's 100% true. Just that it's not common for front end to move to back end. But they make it clear that you have to be ready to learn new technologies.

My Colleague who did an internship with Facebook recently, was asked to learn and build a source product module on Hack(Facebooks variation of PHP). The length of the internship was just three months, but he had 6 weeks to do that.

They will only do that because they know he has an IQ for that. That's how big tech operates

I guess you need to join Blind platform, to see compensation of engineers

He said he wanted example. Lol I even forgot adaora. She used to be a frontend dev in Lagos here for an agency and now is a cloud computing and embedded systems programmer at Microsoft. She works on Microsoft mesh writing low level code.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Data Science, AI & Machine Learning Tutorial Series / Cost Of Building An App With More Features Than Uber / 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.