Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,350 members, 7,836,433 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:44 AM

How You Can Resolve Your Rent Issues With Landlord During COVID-19 - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How You Can Resolve Your Rent Issues With Landlord During COVID-19 (568 Views)

This Is How You Can Resolve Issues With Your Roof With Proper Management / Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? / Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How You Can Resolve Your Rent Issues With Landlord During COVID-19 by jumia1: 8:05am On May 24, 2020
Nigeria has one of the most rigid rent payment systems in Africa as the majority of landlords require upfront payment on apartments. This is despite the fact that most tenants receive their income on a monthly basis. A lot of people cannot afford to rent by themselves and the problem of upfront annual rent requirement has also created a product gap that can only be bridged by one that can split those payments into a monthly denomination.

But at a time like this when coronavirus has almost brought economic activities to a standstill in Nigeria, some landlords who collect rent on a monthly basis are expected to see high default rates as some Nigerians have been projected to either lose their jobs or have their salary slashed by their employers.

About 60 percent of tenants will not be able to pay their house rents in Nigeria in the coming months as the rampaging coronavirus pandemic persists with its crippling impact on household income, estate agency professionals have said.

The lockdown has left many tenants and landlords in precarious positions.“If the tenant is having difficulty paying rent, I would strongly encourage them to communicate this with the landlord so they can possibly come to a mutually beneficial payment plan.

Tenants are also cautioned to consider the negative effects an eviction will have on their credit score as well as their ability to rent another property,” he said.

Not only could being evicted make it trickier for a tenant to successfully apply for new tenancy, but it could also affect their credit score if the landlord obtains a debt judgment against him/her for the missed payments.

Nigerian landlords should accommodative where possible during this difficult time. If the landlord can afford it, allow the tenant to take a payment holiday or to suggest a payment plan that could suit both parties,” he said.

At the end of the day, we are all facing the impact of this crisis together and should do what we can to help each other get through these trying times.

Read Conclusion part here:https://wahalablog.com/

Re: How You Can Resolve Your Rent Issues With Landlord During COVID-19 by Skyfornia(m): 8:07am On May 24, 2020
Me wey just renewed my house rent last week...I jokingly asked the lawyer(caretaker) to atleast add one month grace for me. Guy man no wan hear.. grin
Re: How You Can Resolve Your Rent Issues With Landlord During COVID-19 by jumia1: 11:42pm On Dec 31, 2020
God will help we men
Re: How You Can Resolve Your Rent Issues With Landlord During COVID-19 by jumia1: 8:24am On Jan 01, 2021
make up your mind,no matter how and u will see that something will happen.be positive that u want to pay and money will com e

(1) (Reply)

Vacant Plots Of Land For Sale Behind Ojo Barracks, Olorunda-ojo Road, Ibadan / Own A Plot Of Land Inside The Prestigious Westbury Homes Bogije. / Affordable Lands And Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.