Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,373 members, 7,819,345 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid (1317 Views)

Stay Away From Drugs. I Lost A Friend & My Personal Story (How I Almost Died) / Ayeni Adeyemi David dies while trying to save electrocuted neighbor. PHOTOS / ‘I Lost Over 19 Babies’;Lady Who Gave Birth To Baby Girl Narrates Ordeal. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by Princerobert: 9:48am On May 25, 2020
Good morning all..
I want to share my experience while visiting both federal, state and the private hospitals in Lagos particularly the Lagos Main land specifically Surulere and Ebute Metta,
This happened on Friday 22/05/2020 ,as early as 6am my brother got a call that his neighbour is critically ill and that he is been taken to the Rando hospital at Surulere @ 2am and they refuse to attend to him. For no just reason all in the name that their is an order from above not to admit any sick patient and we told this lady in particular what do we do now that both private and government hospital don't want to admit, she said we should take him home ,meaning take him home to die..
We move to all the hospitals you can think about within Surulere, Ebute Meta and the Military hospital at Yaba Tech area no one accepted the patient.,one of the government hospitals said the doctors are on lockdown ,later we spoke to one of the gate men and he said they will not attend to us because we are not carrying covid 19 patient.
All this things looks like a drama but we finally took him to ikorodu but due to the time wasted,the doctor said the chances of him surviving is 30% and not surviving is 70%
Ten minutes later while the doctor was attending to him he gave up the ghost ." Died"
Now I understand while most mortuarys are full..
It a pity and it a shame on this country .
My advise if you are sick try to treat yourself very well at home.
Common typhoid and malaria killed this man, the typhoid outside now requires serious and persistent treatment.. It kills more than the stupid covid 19.
I sorry for my country, I honestly don't know if there is still hope.
Please if you have been to the hospital say from Thursday or Friday 22/05/2020. Please share your experience..
Thank you for reading .
Re: I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by BigTableShaker(f): 9:51am On May 25, 2020
Rip to your neighbor. Is he an Igbo?
Re: I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by Nobody: 9:52am On May 25, 2020
Sorry for your loss.
Re: I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by DanseMacabre(m): 9:56am On May 25, 2020
I'm sorry for your loss bro.

But what I don't get is, are you saying the hospitals rejected him because he wasn't COVID positive Cos that's what I infer from your writeup.
Re: I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by Davash222(m): 9:57am On May 25, 2020
BigTableShaker:
Rip to your neighbor.
Is he an Igbo?
You're becoming a nuisance here.

2 Likes

Re: I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by BigTableShaker(f): 9:58am On May 25, 2020
Davash222:
You're becoming a nuisance here.
Davash, let the op prove me wrong.
Re: I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by DanseMacabre(m): 9:59am On May 25, 2020
BigTableShaker:
Rip to your neighbor.
Is he an Igbo?

Wetin carry tribe enter here now

2 Likes

Re: I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by BigTableShaker(f): 10:02am On May 25, 2020
DanseMacabre:

Wetin carry tribe enter here now
Honestly, bad things are happening more to igbos nowadays. I will appreciate if you allow the OP to confirm my remark.
Re: I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by DanseMacabre(m): 10:09am On May 25, 2020
BigTableShaker:

Honestly, bad things are happening more to igbos nowadays.
I will appreciate if you allow the OP to confirm my remark.

Tsaaah! You're just a tribalist kobo kobo.

1 Like

Re: I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by BigTableShaker(f): 10:13am On May 25, 2020
DanseMacabre:

Tsaaah! You're just a tribalist kobo kobo.
Why will typhoid kill a man in this age?
Even without Hospital, Hausa man go survive am and I trust my Yoruba pple, Agbo dey everwhere...

Someones down with typhoid and he died without help, no family member, no pastor, nothing, only neighbors.
That person must be a developer from the godforsaken area.
Re: I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by ChelseaDr(m): 10:18am On May 25, 2020
Unfortunately that is the reality on ground. Most of thevhospitals are used as isolation centers and those that are open don't have PPEs, who do we blame?

Every sick person presenting to any hospital must be treated as Covid-19 patient until it is ruled out, but unfortunately our government is not testing enough

The Giant of Africa has not tested up to 50,000 cases since the past 3 months, South Africa and Ghana should become the new African Giants, because if you know how many tests they have done and how serious they are about it, then you will realize that Nigeria is a sleeping giant.

1 Like

Re: I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by seborrhic: 10:19am On May 25, 2020
Princerobert:
Good morning all..
I want to share my experience while visiting both federal, state and the private hospitals in Lagos particularly the Lagos Main land specifically Surulere and Ebute Metta,
This happened on Friday 22/05/2020 ,as early as 6am my brother got a call that his neighbour is critically ill and that he is been taken to the Rando hospital at Surulere @ 2am and they refuse to attend to him. For no just reason all in the name that their is an order from above not to admit any sick patient and we told this lady in particular what do we do now that both private and government hospital don't want to admit, she said we should take him home ,meaning take him home to die..
We move to all the hospitals you can think about within Surulere, Ebute Meta and the Military hospital at Yaba Tech area no one accepted the patient.,one of the government hospitals said the doctors are on lockdown ,later we spoke to one of the gate men and he said they will not attend to us because we are not carrying covid 19 patient.
All this things looks like a drama but we finally took him to ikorodu but due to the time wasted,the doctor said the chances of him surviving is 30% and not surviving is 70%
Ten minutes later while the doctor was attending to him he gave up the ghost ." Died"
Common typhoid and malaria killed this man, the typhoid outside now requires serious and persistent treatment.. It kills more than the stupid covid 19.
Please if you have been to the hospital say from Thursday or Friday 22/05/2020. Please share your experience..
Thank you for reading .
So you just saw him and know he died of typhoid?
Please can you enlighten us how a typhoid patient looks again?
Re: I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by ChybuzzDD(m): 10:22am On May 25, 2020
Princerobert:
Good morning all..
Thank you for reading .

RIP to him.
But how did you know it was Typhoid? How long was he sick?
I have written so much in this forum to make Nigerians do away with this deadly mindset that every disease is malaria or typhoid.
Typhoid is not that common, and it can only be responsible for his death if he actually had typhoid and developed complications like bowel perforation.
In most cases in Nigeria, people self-diagnosis themselves with typhoid and malaria, and start treating themselves at home, when what they have is not actually typhoid/malaria.
Then, they visit the hospitals only when that yet-to-be-diagnosed disease has so much advanced and placed them in critical conditions.
The truth is that private hospitals don't really want such critical patients to die in their hospitals because of the way people would interpret things, as well as the fact that they do not have the facilities and personnel to handle such critical cases.
At least from this pandemic issue, you have leatnt about something called Ventilators and ICU, needed to manage critically ill patients, and that the federal government-owned hospitals do not have them, let alone private hospitals.
People should endeavour to do regular health checks, and to present to the hospital early in the course of their illness for proper diagnosis and care.
No poor resource country like Nigeria, for instance, has what it takes to manage critically ill patients.

3 Likes

Re: I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by ChelseaDr(m): 10:23am On May 25, 2020
BigTableShaker:

Even without Hospital, Hausa man go survive am and I trust my Yoruba pple, Agbo dey everwhere...

Someones down with typhoid and he died without help, no family member, no pastor, nothing, only neighbors.

Yea typhoid actually kills, especially if it has gone to the stage that requires surgical intervention. The problem here is that it was not even diagnosed whether it is typhoid or not.
Re: I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by BigTableShaker(f): 10:25am On May 25, 2020
ChelseaDr:

Yea typhoid actually kills, especially if it has gone to the stage that requires surgical intervention. The problem here is that it was not even diagnosed whether it is typhoid or not.
Perhaps it's Covid19.
But I'm pained someone died just like that.
Re: I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by ChybuzzDD(m): 10:30am On May 25, 2020
seborrhic:

So you just saw him and know he died of typhoid?
Please can you enlighten us how a typhoid patient looks again?

That's what most Nigerians, including lots of doctors in private hospitals, know.
To them, if a disease is not malaria, it is typhoid.
And with that, many have died undiagnosed.

2 Likes

Re: I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by tyup(m): 10:49am On May 25, 2020
BigTableShaker:
Rip to your neighbor. Is he an Igbo?
Loool grin grin grin
Re: I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by Nobody: 10:57am On May 25, 2020
ChelseaDr:
Unfortunately that is the reality on ground. Most of thevhospitals are used as isolation centers and those that are open don't have PPEs, who do we blame?

Every sick person presenting to any hospital must be treated as Covid-19 patient until it is ruled out, but unfortunately our government is not testing enough

The Giant of Africa has not tested up to 50,000 cases since the past 3 months, South Africa and Ghana should become the new African Giants, because if you know how many tests they have done and how serious they are about it, then you will realize that Nigeria is a sleeping giant.
South Africa tested 600 000
Re: I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by Bluehill1051: 11:14am On May 25, 2020
HE'S DEFINITELY IGBO! angry
Re: I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by Greatzeus(m): 11:16am On May 25, 2020
@Princerobert
That your neighbor also share a blame,infact bulk of the blame is on him. Why is it that it was when he was bed ridden you took him to the hospital. What was he looking at at the beginning of the disease? If he had gone to the hospital or good pharmacy earlier,his sickness would have been detected on time and drugs would be recommended to him.
In this time of covid,you took a man who is already down, probably couldn't work by himself to hospital,what do you want them to think? Nobody wants to die,at least not for a change our health workers receive

1 Like

Re: I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by ChelseaDr(m): 4:49pm On May 25, 2020
BigTableShaker:

Perhaps it's Covid19.
But I'm pained someone died just like that.

Its really unfortunate, no live deserves to be lost like that.
Re: I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by ChelseaDr(m): 5:01pm On May 25, 2020
Austine1213:

South Africa tested 600 000

Our leaders don't care
Re: I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by Uyi168: 8:19pm On May 25, 2020
Personally, I fault ur neighbor.. Why wait till he became bed ridden
The same illness, antibiotics of not less than 4k can take of..
Re: I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by Princerobert: 6:53am On May 26, 2020
Thank you all for taking out time to reply .. that my neighbour is a Yoruba to start with..

He felt sick and initially went to the hospital and was treated for malaria and typhoid and drip was passed on him which mean he actually took is health serious...

The next day was when he felt critically ill and his wife took him to the general hospital at Surulere.

The first thing they did was to check is temperature with the gun temometer and they gave him a long distance ,is body temperature was 36.5 or so but it was less than 40 which was the minimum for covid patient. Some other covid test was done but you know in these federal and state hospital even when you ask question no one will talk to you.. they will just say wait ..stuff like that ,I don't know if that make anysense but not until we screened then a doctor came out who we think is a consultant said there is nothing she can do .." that there is an order from above not to admit any patient that she is trying to discharge those patients on admission except for the few that she did surgery for."..Doctors are on lockdown one of the nurse's said that to us. What does that mean ?

Most of the private said Lagos state task force go ward to ward to check if there are patient in their ward and any hospital found to be erring will be sanctioned.

By the way there are patient who is my neighbour was initially diagnosed of malaria and typhoid. That was the result from his first visit to the hospital..

The last doctor got is PPE on and did a check of covid before he allow us to bring him down from the vehicle 10 minute after that the doctor couldn't find is vain so that he could atleast pass oxygen .. confirm that we brought him late since 2am and he died same 11:30am.. that if we had brought him say 6am he would have done is best .. yes he died from heart failure ,and some other complications as you have said but he maintained that if that my neighbour had been attended to early enough that is death could have been averted... That is the best I can explain..

The order gate man said that will will not be attended to because we are not carrying covid patient based on the figure of the temperature. ..that there is benefit the government give to the hospital that admit covid patient..what that means I don't know. That was why I ask that some one should share his or her experience to the hospital of late.
Thank for reading and have a blessed week ahead
Re: I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by ChybuzzDD(m): 7:46am On May 26, 2020
Princerobert:
Thank you all for taking out time to reply .. that my neighbour is a Yoruba to start with..

He felt sick and initially went to the hospital and was treated for malaria and typhoid and drip was passed on him which mean he actually took is health serious...

The next day was when he felt critically ill and his wife took him to the general hospital at Surulere.

The first thing they did was to check is temperature with the gun temometer and they gave him a long distance ,is body temperature was 36.5 or so but it was less than 40 which was the minimum for covid patient. Some other covid test was done but you know in these federal and state hospital even when you ask question no one will talk to you.. they will just say wait ..stuff like that ,I don't know if that make anysense but not until we screened then a doctor came out who we think is a consultant said there is nothing she can do .." that there is an order from above not to admit any patient that she is trying to discharge those patients on admission except for the few that she did surgery for."..Doctors are on lockdown one of the nurse's said that to us. What does that mean ?

Most of the private said Lagos state task force go ward to ward to check if there are patient in their ward and any hospital found to be erring will be sanctioned.

By the way there are patient who is my neighbour was initially diagnosed of malaria and typhoid. That was the result from his first visit to the hospital..

The last doctor got is PPE on and did a check of covid before he allow us to bring him down from the vehicle 10 minute after that the doctor couldn't find is vain so that he could atleast pass oxygen .. confirm that we brought him late since 2am and he died same 11:30am.. that if we had brought him say 6am he would have done is best .. yes he died from heart failure ,and some other complications as you have said but he maintained that if that my neighbour had been attended to early enough that is death could have been averted... That is the best I can explain..

The order gate man said that will will not be attended to because we are not carrying covid patient based on the figure of the temperature. ..that there is benefit the government give to the hospital that admit covid patient..what that means I don't know. That was why I ask that some one should share his or her experience to the hospital of late.
Thank for reading and have a blessed week ahead

"...he died from heart failure...." This is more plausible than the initial diagnosis of typhoid you gave us, since he wasn't even having temperature spikes(typhoid causes very high, continuously increasing temperatures we described as a 'step-ladder' pattern).
The first hospital he went to missed the diagnosis by treating him for an almost non-existent typhoid they diagnosed with their usual stupid, out-dated, single Widal test.
If any one should bear blames for his death, it should rightly be that first hospital.
With that ready-made diagnosis at hand, most private hospitals no longer follow the standard procedures for evaluating patients and making diagnoses.

People should be wary and ask questions whenever they're diagnosed with typhoid in Nigeria, as the true incidence in very low. Considering the route of transmission, which is faeco-oral, it's very very difficult for a 21st century adult living a relatively clean life in a relatively clean environment to contract the bacteria that causes typhoid.
Another scam is using a single Widal test to diagnose it, instead of serial tests that demonstrate increasing titres or more appropriately, blood or stool cultures.

This wrong diagnosis of typhoid has led to so many preventable deaths in Nigeria. Last year, I lost a friend who actually had Leukaemia, but was being treated for Typhoid. A relative of mine this year had breast cancer, but was instead diagnosed of and was being treated for typhoid, until I intervened and asked her questions that revealed she had a very big, hard breast lump.

I just hope this ugly trend would stop one day.

1 Like

Re: I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by greatme2good(f): 9:10am On May 26, 2020
BigTableShaker:

Are you quiet coz the man unfortunately is Yoruba? Some of you talk without reasoning as if death is a respecter of tribe. The fact your moniker shows pink is pitiable.
Re: I Lost A Neighbor To Tyhoid by Princerobert: 9:26am On May 26, 2020
When one is very sick ,the typhoid could lead to other things ...I believe , it was difficult to find is vain. Although I get your point but that my neighbor had typhoid and malaria ..but other things could follow.... Off course a severe typhoid could lead to other health...
By the way every average person in Nigeria has one form of ailment .
The point is that he was not attended to intime and based on that he died... Something must kill a man.. I repeat he died of severe typhoid... According to his wife he said man hardly fall ill and most time takes herbs for treatment.. so bro na typhoid kill the man. . this country killed him... Failed system killed him....
Poor government policy killed him, uncompassionate attitude of heal workers killed him......
Was I am saying might not make much sense... But I want you to invite me ... Face to face and let me make my submission.... All this long typing is not easy ......
I pray that no nairalander member suffers this type of treatment....
What ever you might think..someone one that hold himself since 2am to 11:30 couldn't he have been revived..... So what is the thing you are saying..
The most common sickness we have in Nigeria is typhoid and malaria .... I am not a doctor but I know that .....
I thank you all for reading.
We have a failed system and I have totally lost hope in this government,this country I see no hope for common man....

(1) (Reply)

How This Eye And Brain Booster Made Me Super Active And Sharp / The Facts That You Were Never Told About Fasting. / Please Can Oral Contraceptives Cause Abortion To Early Pregnancy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.