Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,427 members, 7,815,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:19 PM

WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data (17734 Views)

Why Is Critical Vaccine Safety Data Kept Hidden? / Shoprite Worker Commits Suicide In Akure After Being Suspended From Work / COVID-19: Lagos To start Hydroxychloroquine Clinical Trials Next Week (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by ndcide(m): 8:25pm On May 25, 2020
ponziponzi:

You didn't even read the post. There are plenty mo.ons walking about in Nigeria.

You are one of the mo.ons.

Go and read the post.

1 Like

Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by Charity85(m): 8:27pm On May 25, 2020
alezzy13:

illiterates.
. How does hydroxychloroquine cause toxicity to the heart, surely you don't know. What is the normal QT interval, He still doesn't know . What is necessary to be done to screen for underlying arrhythmias , He still doesn't know. Yet he calls everyone illiterate. Empty vessels makes the loudest noise

3 Likes

Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by ndcide(m): 8:27pm On May 25, 2020
MrMcJay:

The one and only, bro.

As for my previous post, everything I posted are verifiable facts.

WHO said face masks don't stop Coronavirus infections.
https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/07/face-masks-cannot-stop-healthy-people-getting-covid-19-says-who

WHO refused to declare Coronavirus a pandemic.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2235342-covid-19-why-wont-the-who-officially-declare-a-coronavirus-pandemic/

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/01/22/who-postpones-decision-declaring-china-coronavirus-a-global-health-emergency.html

The WHO messed up big time and it is as a result of failure of leadership. The Head of the WHO isn't even a Doctor.

You are a wise man sir. You can't easily fall for a blackmail.

1 Like

Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by mauchiz: 8:30pm On May 25, 2020
WHO should stop all this, 20 years ago, I was always given this drugs anytime I have malaria, it will itch me until morning, I will cry and cry, my late mum will beat me on top my cry. This people are lying against this drug.

In Nigeria, we drank this drugs very well those days, I now believe Trump, Who is gone.

Chei, na waaoo, the world Don enter one chance for WHO hand,

It is only God that will save us,
The drugs is not harmful,

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by MrMcJay(m): 8:33pm On May 25, 2020
ndcide:

You are a wise man sir. You can't easily fall for a blackmail.

Thanks sir. Information is power.
Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by ponziponzi(m): 8:34pm On May 25, 2020
ndcide:

You are one of the mo.ons.

Go and read the post.

Did you see this part of the article?

"The steering committee decided to suspend enrollment to that arm of the so-called Solidarity trials, WHO officials said Monday. That’s after the Lancet published a study that said the drug, touted by U.S. President Donald Trump as a treatment, was linked to an increased risk of death and heart ailments."

This is the study the article is referring to, you dimw.it:

Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by MasterJayJay: 8:35pm On May 25, 2020
NaijaRoyalty:

I was 12 years old when I had my first chloroquine shot .

You can't scare me with WHO bullshits
Did you take chloroquine because of covid-19?
Nobody is scaring you. You can treat yourself. WHO is doing its job.
Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by MasterJayJay: 8:37pm On May 25, 2020
mauchiz:
WHO should stop all this, 20 years ago, I was always given this drugs anytime I have malaria, it will itch me until morning, I will cry and cry, my late mum will beat me on top my cry. This people are lying against this drug.

In Nigeria, we drank this drugs very well those days, I now believe Trump, Who is gone.

Chei, na waaoo, the world Don enter one chance for WHO hand,

It is only God that will save us,
The drugs is not harmful,
Were you infected with covid-19 20 years ago?
Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by alezzy13: 8:39pm On May 25, 2020
WHO is not stopping the trial. They are merely suspending FURTHER ENROLLMENT INTO IT.

A study was published in the lancet which shows disturbing trends of increased mortality among people who were given CQ and HCQ, compared to those who weren't.

If evidence points to possible harm regarding its use, the it negates one of the main tenets of clinical trials - "first do no harm" - to continue recruitment. The evidence will be reviewed, and if they feel it should continue, then it would.

"But we've been using CQ for decades naa, why didnt they experience these adverse effects?"

Well, its just a guess, but perhaps because THEY WERE NOT INFECTED WITH COVID-19?. undecided undecided undecided

And yes, we are beginning to learn more and more about possible connections. COVID-19 has been known to cause myocaridal injury and hypoxia, and it is suspected to have an additive effect with the proarrthymic properties of CQ and HCQ.
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31174-0/fulltext
Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by alezzy13: 8:41pm On May 25, 2020
Charity85:
. How does hydroxychloroquine cause toxicity to the heart, surely you don't know. What is the normal QT interval, He still doesn't know . What is necessary to be done to screen for underlying arrhythmias , He still doesn't know. Yet he calls everyone illiterate. Empty vessels makes the loudest noise

see my post above
Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by LordReed(m): 8:43pm On May 25, 2020
NaijaRoyalty:
People are dying in their hundreds of thousands and this clowns are talking of safety concerns

Who safety concerns help in the face of death

So that you'll accuse them of using the drug to kill bah, you try.
Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by ndcide(m): 8:45pm On May 25, 2020
ponziponzi:

Did you see this part of the article?

"The steering committee decided to suspend enrollment to that arm of the so-called Solidarity trials, WHO officials said Monday. That’s after the Lancet published a study that said the drug, touted by U.S. President Donald Trump as a treatment, was linked to an increased risk of death and heart ailments."

This is the study the article is referring to, you dimw.it:

Did you also miss this part I quoted below?

So how do they hope to gather accurate evidence, with the campaign to stop the use.

Look, I don't know you. So if you think those who question these bodies are foolish, then you've traded your God given wisdom.

[quote] “It’s important to continue to gather evidence on the efficacy and safety of hydroxychloroquine,” WHO Chief Scientist Soumya Swaminathan said at a press briefing in Geneva. “We want to use it if it’s safe and efficacious, reduces mortality, reduces the length of hospitalization without increasing adverse events.”/quote]
Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by tony5(m): 8:46pm On May 25, 2020
Tadwears2050:
I think WHO needs to work internal and stop playing along with china
WHO Is Not Playing Along With China, The Mistake WHO Did Was Not Coming Out Straight To Tell The World The Virus Is Still Under Obsvervation Despite The Measures Put In Place To Prevent It From Spreading, China Will Never Shot Herself In The Leg Knowing What's At Stake
Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by alezzy13: 8:49pm On May 25, 2020
MrMcJay:

The one and only, bro.

As for my previous post, everything I posted are verifiable facts.

WHO said face masks don't stop Coronavirus infections.
https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/07/face-masks-cannot-stop-healthy-people-getting-covid-19-says-who

WHO refused to declare Coronavirus a pandemic.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2235342-covid-19-why-wont-the-who-officially-declare-a-coronavirus-pandemic/

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/01/22/who-postpones-decision-declaring-china-coronavirus-a-global-health-emergency.html

The WHO messed up big time and it is as a result of failure of leadership. The Head of the WHO isn't even a Doctor.

To the first point: There is no concrete evidence that use of face mask in the community will prevent healthy people from getting infected. What the mask does is to prevent spread from an infected person.

Well for the other points, its been debated severally, and while we agree there were mistakes, we also should understand the limitations of WHO.

FYI: The same WHO was also criticized during the ebola crisis, then, incidentally, headed by a doctor, so its not really new.
Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by ponziponzi(m): 8:50pm On May 25, 2020
ndcide:

So how do they hope to gather accurate evidence, with the campaign to stop the use.

Look, I don't know you. So if you think those who question these bodies are foolish, then you've traded your God given wisdom.

Sorry mate, you don't deserve a reply from me.
Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by alezzy13: 8:52pm On May 25, 2020
ndcide:

[s]Did you also miss this part I quoted below?

Look, I don't know you. So if you think those who question these bodies are foolish, then you've traded your God given wisdom[/s].

you obviously have comprehension problems. One of the largest observational already points to potential toxicyt in covid patients, so what other evidence do you need?
Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by eyinjuege: 8:56pm On May 25, 2020
To those shouting that chloroquine has been in existence for a long time and it's used to treat malaria and rheumatoid arthritis/lupus:

When last did you use chloroquine to treat malaria?

Chloroquine is gradually been phased out as the mainstay for malaria treatment in malaria endemic regions.

Secondly and most importantly, when treating malaria with chloroquine , it's for 2 or 3 days only, unlike covid where treatment is for over 10 days. Definitely, the side effects will be much more pronounced in covid patients compared to malaria patients.
Even in rheumatoid arthritis where they take the drug daily, the dose is much lower than the dose used in the treatment of malaria.
I would say Chloroquine is not safe when used at high doses for long periods.
Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by eyinjuege: 9:02pm On May 25, 2020
ndcide:

It is madness and very negligent to continue to give human beings a drug that you have seen causes significant side effects in the name of a clinical trial.
Infact, it is very unethical to continue such a trial.
Infact, it borders on wickedness and perhaps attempted murder.
They have done the right thing by stopping such a trial.
You cannot say because you want to cure eczema , you will give a drug that will cause leprosy. It's madness. They will probably die quicker with the arrhythmias than only the covid.
Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by ndcide(m): 9:14pm On May 25, 2020
eyinjuege:

It is madness and very negligent to continue to give human beings a drug that you have seen causes significant side effects in the name of a clinical trial.
Infact, it is very unethical to continue such a trial.
Infact, it borders on wickedness and perhaps attempted murder.
They have done the right thing by stopping such a trial.
You cannot say because you want to cure eczema , you will give a drug that will cause leprosy. It's madness. They will probably die quicker with the arrhythmias than only the covid.

I thought you would have told me how they want to get their evidence.

Do also give the alternative to the drug that is being used till date.

When a system is compromised it's always very difficult to help people.

FYI, WHO and their syndicates, have lost it. They'll rely on echo chembers like you to continue.
Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by safetyboot: 9:17pm On May 25, 2020
I KNOW BILL GATES WILL MOVE AGAINST ANY DRUG THAT HAS POTENTIAL OF TREATING COVID-19 BECAUSE OF HIS OWN VACCINE.
'WHO' IS JUST DANCING TO HIS TUNE.

1 Like

Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by eyinjuege: 9:22pm On May 25, 2020
ndcide:

I thought you would have told me how they want to get their evidence.

Do also give the alternative to the drug that is being used till date.

When a system is compromised it's always very difficult to help people.

FYI, WHO and their syndicates, have lost it. They'll rely on echo chembers like you to continue.

You need to look at the evidence, and don't allow sentiments cloud your logical reasoning.
There are certain antiviral drugs used for covid patients, even though they were initially made for other viral diseases.
Nigeria has been using these antivirals in their covid patient. I cant remember the specific one
Another one Redemsivir for Ebola also has positive clinical conclusion in the clinical trials.
When there are safer alternatives that can be monitored, why do you want to use a less safer drug?

Why exactly are you particular about chloroquine though? Why do you like it so much and have so much faith in it despite conflicting reports from researchers ?
I hope it's not because Trump said he uses it.
I can bet it that he has stopped using it by now.
Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by slowice(m): 9:23pm On May 25, 2020
Am beginning to suspect fowl play for the first time... WHO don't want to see an end to this pandemic soon

2 Likes

Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by Charity85(m): 9:38pm On May 25, 2020
eyinjuege:
To those shouting that chloroquine has been in existence for a long time and it's used to treat malaria and rheumatoid arthritis/lupus:

When last did you use chloroquine to treat malaria?

Chloroquine is gradually been phased out as the mainstay for malaria treatment in malaria endemic regions.

Secondly and most importantly, when treating malaria with chloroquine , it's for 2 or 3 days only, unlike covid where treatment is for over 10 days. Definitely, the side effects will be much more pronounced in covid patients compared to malaria patients.
Even in rheumatoid arthritis where they take the drug daily, the dose is much lower than the dose used in the treatment of malaria.
I would say Chloroquine is not safe when used at high doses for long periods.

So which dosage of hydroxychloroquine was used for the trial. Meanwhile both drugs aren't same

1 Like

Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by leye4u: 9:44pm On May 25, 2020
CoronaVirusPro:

Illiteracy is truly a disease.

Na you be the illiterate....unless you are less than 10 years old.Chloroquine used to be very popular in the treatment of malaria when we were younger,its a simple over the counter drug.Everyone took it then without issues (except for the itching) until we started have some types of malaria that weren't responding to the chloroquine treatment again. So there's nothing deadly about it.
No drug would be accepted by WHO as the cure for corona virus.
According to the script,only a vaccine would be accepted.

2 Likes

Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by blowjohn(m): 9:45pm On May 25, 2020
martineverest:
American scientists have discovered that Chloroquine hastens death of covid-19 patients

Says who? If u give a drug to someone almost at the brink of death, wont the person still die?
If uvgive the same drug to someone with mild symptoms ofcos it will work
Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by PhantomXcess: 9:45pm On May 25, 2020
Funny thing is that the lancet trials did not add zinc to the treatment. In some cases, they only used HCQ/CQ. And they added 50% extra to the recommended dosage. Recommended dosage is 400mg, their trials gave patients 596/7mg. Anything to discredit a cheap drug that has been working for decades.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by michlins(m): 9:45pm On May 25, 2020
freshvine:

Americans don't support incompetence. They've a working system and strong institutions not person. Any body they belong, they want the best.

Did they complain of Kofi Anan?

we're so used to doing things the wrong way that even when we see and appreciate a working system,we still hate to participate in it.

A Nigerian will see how organized a society like America is, but when you tell them the due process involved, they will tell you it's unnecessary
Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by martineverest(m): 9:47pm On May 25, 2020
blowjohn:

Says who? If u give a drug to someone almost at the brink of death, wont the person still die?
are u better than the researchers?......
Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by eyinjuege: 9:47pm On May 25, 2020
Charity85:

So which dosage of hydroxychloroquine was used for the trial. Meanwhile both drugs aren't same

I'm very sure I read trials were done on both hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine itself.
Hydroxychloroquine is a derivative of chloroquine and it has less side effects hence is a safer version of Chloroquine, but nevertheless it still gives these potentially fatal side effects.
Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by ndcide(m): 9:50pm On May 25, 2020
eyinjuege:

You need to look at the evidence, and don't allow sentiments cloud your logical reasoning.
There are certain antiviral drugs used for covid patients, even though they were initially made for other viral diseases.
Nigeria has been using these antivirals in their covid patient. I cant remember the specific one
Another one Redemsivir for Ebola also has positive clinical conclusion in the clinical trials.
When there are safer alternatives that can be monitored, why do you want to use a less safer drug?

Why exactly are you particular about chloroquine though? Why do you like it so much and have so much faith in it despite conflicting reports from researchers ?
I hope it's not because Trump said he uses it.
I can bet it that he has stopped using it by now.

Redemsivir use is still deemed experimental just like any other drug being used.

Does it have sides effects, yes.

Does chloroquine work on the early stages of Covid, Yes.

Does it have side effects, yes.

There is a pandemic and you claim people are losing their lives , Redemsivir is not readily available for control reasons, yet you dismissed every other alternative even when the positive results are evident. They told the world nothing works.

There are renowned experts all over the world who have used chloroquine. I'm not interested in a compromised WHO.

1 Like

Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by eyinjuege: 9:51pm On May 25, 2020
blowjohn:

When you give someone with respiratory compromise from covid chloroquine, you will cause ventricular arrhythmias. A quicker way to cause cardiorespiratory arrest
You have reduced his chances of survival by simply giving him the chloroquine. Of course not everyone will have these heart changes, but what are you trying to prove by exposing someone really sick to a potentially fatal side effect?

1 Like

Re: WHO’s Hydroxychloroquine Trial Suspended Pending Safety Data by blowjohn(m): 10:00pm On May 25, 2020
martineverest:
are u better than the researchers?......

Am a scientist. And a doctor too.
I dont take everything hook line and sinker

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? / Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience / Side Effects Of Fearless Energy Drink, And Some Benefits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.