Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,784 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

After 11 Days, Coronavirus Patients Stop Being Infectious — STUDY - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / After 11 Days, Coronavirus Patients Stop Being Infectious — STUDY (660 Views)

Spanish Hospital Where Coughing Coronavirus Patients Lay On Floor Of Corridor / Coronavirus Patients On Life Support In Italian Quarantine Centre (Graphic Pix) / Some Coronavirus Patients Gave Wrong Information - Lagos Commissioner For Health (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

After 11 Days, Coronavirus Patients Stop Being Infectious — STUDY by supereagle(m): 9:32pm On May 25, 2020
By Chioma Obinna
Nigerian coronavirus patients on admission at the various isolation centres across the country may now go home even before they tested negative to the virus.

This is because a new study by researchers from Singapore have found that coronavirus patients cannot infect others after 11 days of being ill, even if their test still comes back positive.

The scientists also found that an infected person becomes contagious around two days before symptoms show.

They said the patients then remain contagious for between seven and 10 days after they start showing signs of the disease— which include having a high temperature and a new and continuous cough.
The scientists further noted that COVID-19 ‘could not be isolated or cultured after day 11 of the illness.

The scientists from Singapore’s National Centre for Infectious Diseases and the Academy of Medicine examined 73 patients with coronavirus.

They looked at whether the bug could be passed from them to someone else, the New York Post reported.

Positive tests in patients that still had symptoms after two weeks could be picking up sections of the bug that cannot pass the virus on to someone else.

The authors of the study said: “Based on the accumulated data since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, the infectious period of coronavirus in symptomatic individuals may begin around two days before the onset of symptoms, and persists for about seven to 10 days after the onset of symptoms.”

They added that active viral replication drops quickly after the first week, and the viable virus was not found after the second week of illness.

It comes as the UK reported a further 118 coronavirus deaths, a 30 percent drop since last Sunday’s 170, taking the total to 36,793.

The daily death figure, revealed by Prime Minister Boris Johnson at the daily press briefing on Monday, is the lowest since the lockdown was put into force on March 23.

Scientists hope that their research on the disease’s ability to spread could help hospitals figure out when to send admitted patients home.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/05/after-11-days-coronavirus-patients-stop-being-infectious-study/

1 Like

Re: After 11 Days, Coronavirus Patients Stop Being Infectious — STUDY by Orestino(m): 9:38pm On May 25, 2020
Next!
Re: After 11 Days, Coronavirus Patients Stop Being Infectious — STUDY by Donkalio: 9:46pm On May 25, 2020
Orestino:
Next!

We are waiting for the day they will finally conclude that covid-19 is the same as Acute Malaria.

2 Likes

Re: After 11 Days, Coronavirus Patients Stop Being Infectious — STUDY by money121(m): 9:49pm On May 25, 2020
Ok
Re: After 11 Days, Coronavirus Patients Stop Being Infectious — STUDY by Pharmmaqp: 9:54pm On May 25, 2020
*Red alert Cross Riverians*

Something new is in town whether we think it's *Corona* or not , it's very usual.

There has been an increased credible reports on cases of *Anosmia*. Medically meaning loss of sense of smell and taste.

My people this is not malaria or typhoid. A lot of people have been experiencing this and the government is playing politics with it.

We believe this height of irresponsibility should not be tolerated especially from the people we elect to protect us.

This broadcast is aimed at stirring an intervention and not to cause panic. Many persons who claimed to have had this problem showed quick recovery meaning whatever is going on don't have a lot of impact on blacks.

We call on different radio stations to do a live broadcast across the state requesting for reports on suspicious cases of loss of smell and taste sensations and let's see how that goes.

This is not politics

If it is not Covid 19, then it is something else. We are calling on the government to take actions immediately.

I am a victim

We are the victims ..

But I can't explain why I have loss of smell and taste and my doctor won't explain to me, rather he is scared of giving me an answer because the state government says no coronavirus.

I am better now, but what about the vulnerable children and elderly people. So for them..

Share this across till it gets to someone in authority.
And till every radio station take action by calling out for people with such symptoms.

2 Likes

Re: After 11 Days, Coronavirus Patients Stop Being Infectious — STUDY by Ogegeodey(m): 9:55pm On May 25, 2020
If this is true, then the end of coro is near
Re: After 11 Days, Coronavirus Patients Stop Being Infectious — STUDY by edoairways: 11:52pm On May 25, 2020
Donkalio:

We are waiting for the day they will finally conclude that covid-19 is the same as Acute Malaria.
The Nigerian own is malaria. I still wonder the correlation between covid and chloroquine.
Re: After 11 Days, Coronavirus Patients Stop Being Infectious — STUDY by edoairways: 11:54pm On May 25, 2020
supereagle until there is enough evidence to support this, this research should be taken with a pinch of salt
Re: After 11 Days, Coronavirus Patients Stop Being Infectious — STUDY by Ubykcee(m): 11:57pm On May 25, 2020
I don't trust this scientist. Carry your research out at your home.
Re: After 11 Days, Coronavirus Patients Stop Being Infectious — STUDY by ChelseaDr(m): 12:17am On May 26, 2020
That is a great breakthrough in research and will guide development of protocols for patient discharge from treatment centers. However, one should note the following:

1. The study was carried out on those that already had symptoms which is consistent with the two weeks prescribed for isolation after which one is declared free if no symptoms present. This is because symptoms usually develop around day 5 of contracting the infection.

2. The study was carried out among only 73 participants which is very small and not representative of the general population.

3. The study was carried out in Singapore and needed to be replicated in other countries and races.

4. The study to me did not really add a new knowledge to what we already know about the "two weeks magic", it just buttressed that fact.

5. We can also extrapolate this to asymptomatic individuals because after two weeks, though they may still test positive, the positivity may not be due to a live virus but may be as a result of a broken down particle of the virus.

6. I give kudos to the researchers while all hands must be on deck to develop a vaccine against Covid-19.
Re: After 11 Days, Coronavirus Patients Stop Being Infectious — STUDY by SEEDORF441(m): 12:36am On May 26, 2020
I have heard a lots during this pandemic period but none has really helped
Re: After 11 Days, Coronavirus Patients Stop Being Infectious — STUDY by AprokoDentist: 7:00am On May 26, 2020
It's good news if it turns out to be true eventually.
kudos to science!
Re: After 11 Days, Coronavirus Patients Stop Being Infectious — STUDY by Adonispco: 7:14am On May 26, 2020
Pharmmaqp:
*Red alert Cross Riverians*

Something new is in town whether we think it's *Corona* or not , it's very usual.

There has been an increased credible reports on cases of *Anosmia*. Medically meaning loss of sense of smell and taste.

My people this is not malaria or typhoid. A lot of people have been experiencing this and the government is playing politics with it.

We believe this height of irresponsibility should not be tolerated especially from the people we elect to protect us.

This broadcast is aimed at stirring an intervention and not to cause panic. Many persons who claimed to have had this problem showed quick recovery meaning whatever is going on don't have a lot of impact on blacks.

We call on different radio stations to do a live broadcast across the state requesting for reports on suspicious cases of loss of smell and taste sensations and let's see how that goes.

This is not politics

If it is not Covid 19, then it is something else. We are calling on the government to take actions immediately.

I am a victim

We are the victims ..

But I can't explain why I have loss of smell and taste and my doctor won't explain to me, rather he is scared of giving me an answer because the state government says no coronavirus.

I am better now, but what about the vulnerable children and elderly people. So for them..

Share this across till it gets to someone in authority.
And till every radio station take action by calling out for people with such symptoms.

Oga na +2 malaria dey worry you.
Re: After 11 Days, Coronavirus Patients Stop Being Infectious — STUDY by Pharmmaqp: 9:22am On May 26, 2020
Adonispco:

Oga na +2 malaria dey worry you.

Nairaland has made some people loose respect for people they don't know. Am in the best position to determine who has +2 malaria. If you don't know who you are quoting you better keep shut

1 Like

Re: After 11 Days, Coronavirus Patients Stop Being Infectious — STUDY by Adonispco: 5:39pm On May 26, 2020
Pharmmaqp:

Nairaland has made some people loose respect for people they don't know. Am in the best position to determine who has +2 malaria. If you don't know who you are quoting you better keep shut

Oga why should i keep shut; you should have remain silent than creating more phobia.
Re: After 11 Days, Coronavirus Patients Stop Being Infectious — STUDY by Saintinoo(m): 6:17pm On May 26, 2020
supereagle:
By Chioma Obinna
Nigerian coronavirus patients on admission at the various isolation centres across the country may now go home even before they tested negative to the virus.

This is because a new study by researchers from Singapore have found that coronavirus patients cannot infect others after 11 days of being ill, even if their test still comes back positive.

The scientists also found that an infected person becomes contagious around two days before symptoms show.

They said the patients then remain contagious for between seven and 10 days after they start showing signs of the disease— which include having a high temperature and a new and continuous cough.
The scientists further noted that COVID-19 ‘could not be isolated or cultured after day 11 of the illness.

The scientists from Singapore’s National Centre for Infectious Diseases and the Academy of Medicine examined 73 patients with coronavirus.

They looked at whether the bug could be passed from them to someone else, the New York Post reported.

Positive tests in patients that still had symptoms after two weeks could be picking up sections of the bug that cannot pass the virus on to someone else.

The authors of the study said: “Based on the accumulated data since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, the infectious period of coronavirus in symptomatic individuals may begin around two days before the onset of symptoms, and persists for about seven to 10 days after the onset of symptoms.”

They added that active viral replication drops quickly after the first week, and the viable virus was not found after the second week of illness.

It comes as the UK reported a further 118 coronavirus deaths, a 30 percent drop since last Sunday’s 170, taking the total to 36,793.

The daily death figure, revealed by Prime Minister Boris Johnson at the daily press briefing on Monday, is the lowest since the lockdown was put into force on March 23.

Scientists hope that their research on the disease’s ability to spread could help hospitals figure out when to send admitted patients home.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/05/after-11-days-coronavirus-patients-stop-being-infectious-study/
Are we not in a stupid country?
The agency that carried out this research does just thesame work with our NCDC, even with the billions being voted for NCDc they have to wait for another country's CDC to give them guildlines...

We only know how to copy and paste in this country.

Later that my NCDC big headed brother will address the press on this development asif it was his agency that carried out the study.
Re: After 11 Days, Coronavirus Patients Stop Being Infectious — STUDY by Saintinoo(m): 6:22pm On May 26, 2020
Pharmmaqp:

Oga who are you. Minister of health?
Re: After 11 Days, Coronavirus Patients Stop Being Infectious — STUDY by popez: 7:44pm On May 26, 2020
Pharmmaqp:

"I'm" not "Am".

You're are welcome.

(1) (Reply)

Help!! This Round Spot Appeared On Me And My Girlfriend / Delta-8 And The Future Of Medical Hemp / Herbal Natural Treatment Of Bacteria Infections, Staph, Syphlis, At Aba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.