Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,119 members, 7,821,837 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:53 PM

Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating (5779 Views)

Petrol Price Crashes At Depots Amid Low Demand / PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% / 22-Year-Old Ojukwu And His Aunty, Winifred, On His Return From Oxford In 1955 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by ogododo: 11:20pm On May 25, 2020
Most fuel depot operators have been forced out of business as the Nigerian National Petroleum Company emerged the sole supplier of imported fuel in recent years, the Depot and Petroleum Products Marketers Association of Nigeria has said.

The Chairman, DAPPMAN and Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer, Northwest Petroleum and Gas Company Limited, Mrs Winifred Akpani, said less than 30 per cent of the operators were still in business.

Akpani, who spoke during the Nigeria Petroleum Downstream Consultative Summit held online, said, “A lot of them are in one problem or the other with banks and the Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria.

“In the past few years, there were quite a lot of investment in depot construction across Nigeria because opportunities presented themselves for people to make such investment.

“Subsequently, as government has continually overtaken the whole operations in the downstream sector, to a large extent, it has been very difficult for a lot of the depot owners to survive, especially those who had not made further investment into other areas of the sector.”

According to Akpani, on the average, a depot costs between N3bn to N5bn.

She said some operators who were able to make subsequent investments into retail, haulage, marine vessels and pipelines, among others, had been able to continue to operate.

She said, “What has happened over the years is that with the NNPC taking over almost 100 per cent of imports until recently, and then fixing very low margins for operators who take these products for distribution, a lot of the depot operators have not been able to continue to operate.

“Some operators are actually under receivership, and as at the last count, we have less than 30 per cent of operators still in business. With that, it becomes impossible for any expansion or new investments.”

According to her, deregulation is complete removal of government regulations or control, especially with regards to pricing of products.

https://punchng.com/less-than-30-of-fuel-depots-operating-dappman/
Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by longetivity(m): 11:24pm On May 25, 2020
DAPPMAN looks like a stage name

5 Likes

Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by ojun50(m): 11:29pm On May 25, 2020
longetivity:
Sounds like one music label name

7 Likes

Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by ibksiv(m): 12:38am On May 26, 2020
One of the risks of doing business.

1 Like

Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by GamalNasser: 12:44am On May 26, 2020
When we say Buhari is a small picture man we know what we are saying

2 Likes

Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by PureGoldh(m): 6:32am On May 26, 2020
The problem we have in this country is poor managerial factor(s).

2 Likes

Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by Flexherbal(m): 6:34am On May 26, 2020
It happens in all businesses !

They call it, profit and loss.

6 Likes

Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by directonpc(m): 6:34am On May 26, 2020
Hmm
Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by Nobody: 6:34am On May 26, 2020
Monopoly!

1 Like

Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by happyeaster057: 6:35am On May 26, 2020
longetivity:
Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by TreasureTayo(m): 6:36am On May 26, 2020
OKAY
Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by betterman22(m): 6:36am On May 26, 2020
They want to monopolize the system so that petroleum products will continue to be sold at high prices

5 Likes

Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by StubbornGENIUS: 6:37am On May 26, 2020
Give them loans then
Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by mrkings84(m): 6:38am On May 26, 2020
Still ok, in Nigeria evening is obtainable
Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by johnmba: 6:39am On May 26, 2020
No more false subsidy claims

3 Likes

Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by Nobody: 6:42am On May 26, 2020
you are all after ways to leech more from the mass.

fuel should be like ₦50 or less now
Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by mamaafrik(m): 6:42am On May 26, 2020
Since when una don they make money ,who una tell,awon gie gie gie,awon agbaya.

Wait,where is TSTV self.
Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by StubbornGENIUS: 6:42am On May 26, 2020
GamalNasser:
But I don't know what you are saying
Macsjebs:
Monopoly!

***Personally, I easily get overwhelmed by emotions...

Before now, whenever I check my thread on my signature, I do find people viewing, with the hope that atleast one of the viewers would patronize, but these days the other way is the case!

Just have to take a hiatus now since patronage isn't forthcoming

In the words of Adele: 'Atleast I can say that I tried'
Take Heart and hope for the best...but when are you taking this your hiatus you started telling us last week
Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by contigiency(m): 6:42am On May 26, 2020
No wonder we rarely have fuel scarcity again. Thank God. NNPC please continue importing the fuel until these people come to terms to stop creating hardship in the country through hurding of fuel and creating artificial scarcity. Or better still, until Dangote and other modular refineries start operations.

8 Likes

Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by TallPck1(m): 6:42am On May 26, 2020
This is too bad, monopolistic altitude of this government would only make things worst. Why not make the system favorable for the business men.

I hate what I don't like.
Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by sathel(m): 6:46am On May 26, 2020
Is is ma consign
Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by Wantedmiller: 6:47am On May 26, 2020
criminals........
Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by guru90: 6:47am On May 26, 2020
I am looking forward to starts buying fuel 50 Naira per litre.
Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by JubrinElSudan: 6:52am On May 26, 2020
Rainoil, Cybernetics and some other depots should be among the 30% that are still in business
Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by StarTech1: 6:52am On May 26, 2020
The earlier we stop depending solely on petroleum, the better for us as a nation. let's start looking for alternative sources of energy cos in some years to come, crude oil won't be able to sustain us as a nation.

check my sig for reliable data plans✓
Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by ABLESOFT2(m): 6:53am On May 26, 2020
Awon Scammer Nla
Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by contigiency(m): 6:54am On May 26, 2020
GamalNasser:

That's because those who brainwashed you tried their best in completely diverting your attention from knowing who your real enemy is. Otherwise, you would have known that these people crying now, were the people who used to hurd fuel and create artificial scarcity. Thereby creating hardship and sufferings for all and sundry. But today, your problem is with buhari who came and made sure that their malpractice against ordinary Nigerians is checked and stopped.

5 Likes

Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by Nobody: 6:56am On May 26, 2020
Deregulation will end all this issues.

But since it is such a poltical hot potato....(the only thing you can get every Nigerian to agree on is their 'right to low oil prices')...no government would touch it.

1 Like

Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by Nobody: 6:57am On May 26, 2020
TallPck1:
This is too bad, monopolistic altitude of this government would only make things worst. Why not make the system favorable for the business men.

I hate what I don't like.

Because making the system favourable for the businessmen involves deregulation, which means in practice that the government

1.Allows marketers to set their prices..instead of NNPC via the DPR.

2.Allows marketers bring in as much fuel as possible instead of making NNPC the sole importer.

The implication of this is that fuel prices go as high as N300 or more per liter....and stay high. And in some areas, prices of fuel would be higher than others...because transport costs. This would be percieved as 'being hard on the common man' which would lead to riots and protests...which won't look good for any government.

That's why this government, and indeed most governments won't completely deregulate. The downside is that deregulation eventually

1.Brings in more investment into the oil sector...like more refineries, more investment in gas, etc.

2.Eventually due to increased investment, prices will come down, and jobs will go up. We could end up with eventual prosperity after a period of hardship.

But most governments would rather keep their hands on prices, raising it when it becomes difficiult for them to keep prices low.

4 Likes

Re: Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating by Gaddafiyusf(m): 6:57am On May 26, 2020
Good news

(1) (2) (Reply)

PDP: Buhari’s Cabinet Cancerous, Chaotic / Check Out Obiano’s Wife’s Weird New Look Which Has Generated Negative Reactions / 2023: Igbo Traders’ Association Endorses Sanwo-Olu For Second Term

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.