Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,863 members, 7,813,946 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:22 PM

Please Help My English Is Very Bad - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Please Help My English Is Very Bad (34503 Views)

My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. / 21 Reasons Why English Is Difficult To Learn / Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by TreasureTayo(m): 3:25pm On May 26, 2020
Thank you so much. I'm glad you liked my advice
You're too doing well
Goldencheese:
All other pieces of advice are good but yours represent more of what I am thinking to assist the OP.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

1 Like

Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by victorjoe(m): 3:35pm On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017:
God why? Why me?
I dnt have confidence speaking good English always Craming what to say?

Please help me.

Read books, good books. You don't have to finish 1 book a day just a chapter or 2 and be consistent. Everyday. In 3 months, you will see a great difference. And when you see the difference, don not stop reading.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Spallanzani: 3:46pm On May 26, 2020
divineappo:
I av someone in this situation, although not worse as the OP above

is it a app that requires download? or what
Both mobile and web app. Just go to podcast tab and you'll see a lot of you can listen to and their respective transcripts.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by nevplus(m): 3:51pm On May 26, 2020
simultaneousboi:
I think "Use of English" text will help you a lot. Again, don't be lazy in reading, read novels, stories and other text, it will help you a lot. I'm also in your shoes, I started learning how to speak correct in English in higher institution(cos I studied both my primary and secondary school in my village where we hardly speak English except my language) , sometimes I do misuse these three words in a sentence "could, would, and should", I have searched online for the proper way of using them, but all I saw was not really clear to me, same with the different between "learned and learnt".

Look for "A one English", written by Dele Ashade

1 Like

Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by subcbouy: 3:59pm On May 26, 2020
Ebenezer2O2O:
You must be a Northerner or maybe an IPOB from Anambra cos these two sets of people have severe challenges speaking good English
haha You will be surprised that a lot of Yoruba graduates can not speak good English.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by unbeatenisrael: 4:06pm On May 26, 2020
Try to Read brighter grammar vol. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Ebenezer2O2O(m): 4:13pm On May 26, 2020
subcbouy:
haha You will be surprised that a lot of Yoruba graduates can not speak good English.
and what's my business with that?
I'm I Yoruba?
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by nevplus(m): 4:23pm On May 26, 2020
[quote author=subcbouy post=89982960] haha You will be surprised that a lot of Yoruba graduates can not speak g

Fact
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Nobody: 4:32pm On May 26, 2020
Please go and commit suicide. You are not needed or wanted. You are a waste.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by SirMichael1: 4:41pm On May 26, 2020
OvaSabi1:
I'll start by saying that you are more intelligent than you think. You are bilingual. You can read and understand more than 1 language. There's a probability that you already speak 2 or 3 other naija languages and this is a sign of intelligence. However, your IQ in one language may be lower than the others, and when this language is the official language of your country it can be limiting in terms of the opportunities that come your way. So, yes, your concerns are valid.

How do you become good at anything? By watching, observing, digesting the information accordingly and practicing. Same with football, Mathematics, cooking or perfecting your English Language proficiency.

Watching: listen to news and note down new words phrases and search for their meanings. If you own a smart phone, play the phonetic sound of the word. You will find a speaker icon before each Google definition, this is what it is used for.
Observing: is there someone whose spoken English you admire? Watch their lips and jawline when they talk. By the time you do this for a while, you will understand why this is important.
Digesting the information by reading. Widely. Find an area you're interested in like sports. Read the sports page of newspapers. Watch and listen to sports broadcasters and observe their use of things like grammar, semantics and figures of speech. You'll know your proficiency in a language is high when you start to understand and apply things like sarcasm, metaphors and satire effortlessly.

Practice: Speak and write the things you have learned. This is imperative and be ready to make a lot of mistakes. But believe that you have the God given ability to learn anything and be perfect, so far you're ready to put in the work.
All these stories because of english language? Na wa oh.

OP, consciously start thinking in english as I believe you think in another language.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by drey076(m): 4:50pm On May 26, 2020
Morray:
Well, to be perfectly honest in my humble opinion without being sentimental, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in distinct perspective and without condemning anyone's view and by trying to make it objectified and by considering each and everyone's valid opinion. I honestly believe that I vividly don't have anything to say. Thank you
werey grin
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by wanger50(m): 5:15pm On May 26, 2020
SamSara01:
It's difficult to comment or help you if we don't know your age or the level of education you currently are
Wisdom here
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Goldencheese(m): 5:16pm On May 26, 2020
TreasureTayo:
Thank you so much. I'm glad you liked my advice
You're too doing well

Thanks @TreasureTayo
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by noziz(m): 5:30pm On May 26, 2020
Ladylite:
I can teach you

With this your beauty ehn, u really need to teach me how to speak English too!. In fact, teach me, and don't stop teaching me even if it seems I don sabi ham!
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by TreasureTayo(m): 6:09pm On May 26, 2020
Goldencheese:

Thanks @TreasureTayo
You're welcome boss grin

1 Like

Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by subcbouy: 6:15pm On May 26, 2020
Ebenezer2O2O:
and what's my business with that? I'm I Yoruba?
Neither was I Ipob nor Hausa.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Shormiey(m): 6:20pm On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017:
God why? Why me?

Please help me.
Start reading books with British intonation and watch Hollywood with subs.......and also maintain your scrolls.....don't cram English.....it's stupidly simple.....you might as well sub your friends for a good English speaker better still put him through the same routine if his English is wacky too....ire oooo
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by todugo(m): 6:51pm On May 26, 2020
GeneralPula:
undecided
Your meme says it all grin
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Tohsynetita1: 6:55pm On May 26, 2020
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Tohsynetita1: 7:01pm On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017:
God why? Why me?

Please help me.

I can help you but what happen is that people don't take it serious, this is not my first time of coming across this piece but once they chat me up and I give them vocal exercise, they run away. If you don't mind, message me and become wonderful speaker. Everything has training, there are mouth,tongue,chin,lip,flat plate training that you are lacking. Message me it's free. mail me on greatfullness494@gmail.com
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by ripOMOTUNDE: 7:26pm On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017
I was once in your shoe, go and he ABC to English
And any Dele Ashade series. Good luck
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by SweetDipBenny(m): 7:36pm On May 26, 2020
Read alot of books but If u cant read then i cant help u
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Stargurl20(f): 7:47pm On May 26, 2020
At this time, if you are a student studying other course( English not related), pls, watch movies which good English are been spoken and read novels, newspaper etc. They help a lot
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by WeRblessed(f): 7:53pm On May 26, 2020
Just speak broken English na
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Enimoney3: 8:17pm On May 26, 2020
Its very easy... Go to youtube. Com type how to speak English confidently.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by JYKZ: 8:52pm On May 26, 2020
read newspapers, both old and new. thank me later.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by smartest2020(m): 8:56pm On May 26, 2020
You need to know more phrases because they will help you speak easily and fluently! Read simple english books and then difficult one! Listen to english programme, podcasts and musics, practise recording yourself, practise speaking infront of your mirror alone. Make sure your dictionary is your bestfriend always! Dont be shy to practice your english! Remember, no pain no gain!
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Nobody: 9:01pm On May 26, 2020
Best way, start listening to English every day, you can download English podcasts for your practice. Another thing switch your film to English one not for interest but for learning purpose. You will find yourself speaking along with them, once you start listening.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by slysteel: 9:22pm On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017:
God why? Why me?

Please help me.
English is not your language,speak your language.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by sageb: 9:56pm On May 26, 2020
Our linguist ishilove can tutor you. @ Ishilove, please come and help this brother.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Checked86: 10:53pm On May 26, 2020
divineappo:
are u in the North, and are u an introvert?
more like an introvert. when I open my mouth to speak, it is not when i intend saying that would come out. It is one thing if you don't even know whether your English is correct or not, and it is another when you know. The later is very painful. Today, i said, " Ask him for the money but if he DOESN'T pay, come to me" instead of ... "if he DIDN'T pay..." I am not 'that' bad in writing, but talking. ABOUT YOUR QUESTION, I AM NOT IN THE NORTH. why did you ask that?
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Nobody: 11:13pm On May 26, 2020
Oxford online English is your best plug @op. Follow them on YouTube and online.
It is free. You can practice as you watch.

I suck at sentence structures. I don't know how to apply punctuation.

But I am getting better now. Lastly, start writing and keep writing. I go back to what I wrote few months back and I am like wow!

Did I really write this? But I am better now, even though I am not there yet.

Always remember, anything worth doing at all, is worth doing badly if you don't know how to do until you become better at it. Like NIKE, just do it and improve on it.

I do 500mb night plan to take just English classes on YouTube and it is rewarding. Finally , I am able to put my ideas across in English.

Shalom.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

O.a.u Post-utme 2012/2013 Admission!! (official Page) / Elujoba Visits OAU All Hall Of Residence For Inspection (photos) / Redeemer’s University Expels Actor Macaroni Over His Activities On Social Media

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.