Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,719 members, 7,809,732 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:03 PM

Nuchal Cord Births And Its Interpretation In The Igala And Yoruba Tribe - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nuchal Cord Births And Its Interpretation In The Igala And Yoruba Tribe (782 Views)

The Bond Between The Igala And Igbo Ethnic Nationalities Of Nigeria - Some Histo / Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston / Princess Inikpi Buried Alive, Sacrificed For Survival Of The Igala Nation. Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nuchal Cord Births And Its Interpretation In The Igala And Yoruba Tribe by Bigbako(m): 4:51pm On May 26, 2020
It is a norm amongst Nigerian tribes and cultures for Babies to be named according to circumstances surrounding their birth. This practice has been existing for centuries, but the growing civilization, Abrahamic religions and Western cultures is fast driving it into extinct. However, there still remain some few folks with names linked to the events, mysteries, or circumstances surrounding their birth. Out of this elite group, I singled out Children who came to earth through a birth complication known as “Nuchal Cord Birth” to Medical Practitioners, and its interpretation to the Yoruba and Igala tribes of our great country.
A Nuchal cord is a complication that occurs when the umbilical cord wraps around the baby’s neck one or more times. This is common and occurs in about 15 to 35 percent of pregnancies. Often, nuchal cords do not impact pregnancy outcomes. However, certain types of nuchal cords can pose a significant risk to the baby. Nuchal cords can interrupt normal blood, nutrient, and oxygen exchange. But still, it happens so frequently that it has been seen to be a normal thing by the medical community.
To the Yoruba and Igala tradition, this kind of birth is devoid of the simplicity called “normal.” Children who were born like this are seen as extraordinary, supernatural and mystifying. They are worshipped as demi gods on earth through various traditional practices and panegyrics. The Yorubas call them (Ojo- for Male) and (Aina- for female), while the Igala tribe uses (Egbunu for both sexes).
In a traditional Igala setting, when a Child is born with the umbilical cord wrapped around his/her neck instead of the normal straight connection from the navel to the womb, they consult an experienced traditionalist to prepare what is known as “Ugba Egbunu” translated “Egbunu’s Calabash”. Inside this Calabash, the Umbilical Cord and some other materials will be buried to be kept in the house of the Parents.
From time to time, as the Child grows, sacrifices are made in form of spilling a young Cock’s blood, grains, water and decorating the Calabash with colourful feathers. Prayers are offered for protection of the baby against asphyxiating life struggles like the Umbilical cord that nearly strangled him/her at birth.
The notoriety for sacrificing and eating young Cocks (Oma Ayikor- in Igala) & (Omo Adiye-in Yoruba, earned Egbunu/Ojo/Aina Children a spot in a Yoruba saying, which goes like this;
Translated…….
“Ojo is not at Home, the baby Cock will grow into maturity. If Ojo is at home, he will kill and spiced it up with pepper”
Egbunu in Igala culture is just like an individual’s Personal god “Chi” you read in Chinua Achebe stories. It is the perceived Guardian Angel of Children born with the nuchal cord birth complication. It is said that they are not to be maltreated, or else, the parents or offending person will have to face the wrath of the Egbunu spirit. Dramatically, when this happens, even the Child is not aware that something somewhere is fighting for him/her. This is a kind of battle the Yorubas call “Ija Ori” translated “The head’s Fight”.
The traditional stereotyped behaviours of Egbunu/Ojo/Aina Children exist both on the negative and positive sides. On the negative path, they are seen as short tempered, aggressive, stubborn and impatient. While some of their positive behaviour range from perseverance, hardworking, caring and strong arms. They are also rumoured to be the “Ladies Man” as their cuteness turn heads wherever they go.
My name is Bako Abdullahi, and I’m a member of this elite group. Mama Akara even said I wore my own Umbilical Cord in double rolls like a Hip Hop star going for a rap battle.
And
Please if you know you are the type that wii comman shout it’s a demonic or pagan bla bla bla, don’t come here please. I have a big stone in my left hand, and I’m very good at targeting people!
But at the same time, I would really love to hear your thought on this, so feel free to come. Don’t fear, I won’t stone you again!
*Drops Mic*
⛹️‍♂️⛹️‍♂️⛹️‍♂️

(1) (Reply)

Erelu Tinuade Frowns At Installation Of Chinese Woman As Iyalaje Of Iru-land / A Movie Producer/director Seek Well Talented Actors Urgently! / Which Tribe Has Hardest Dancing Step

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.