Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,159 members, 7,829,139 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:08 PM

Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth (6138 Views)

Prominent Obidient, Sarah Ibrahim Invited By Police For Questioning / Ahmed Idris: ASUU Queried Accountant-General’s Source Of Wealth Last Year / Oseni Rufai Grills Jibrin Over Tinubu's Source Of Wealth, Age, Bullion Vans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by Michealky: 12:53pm On May 28, 2020
Everybody wants to be rich bro, nobody gat time to question another man's wealth.

1 Like

Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by Michealky: 12:56pm On May 28, 2020
Top1gun:
So why can't your cursed soul post Emoney's picture in the article

Lol

1 Like

Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by Michealky: 12:58pm On May 28, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

You missed my point brah and went into your primitive tribal mode. People like E-money are included with people with unaccountable wealth and the category of overnight billionaires. Nigeria produces the most overnight billionaires that you can't trace the source of their wealth. We know how Richard Branson,Floyd Mayweather,Cristiano Ronaldo,Bill Gates,Mark Zuckerberg and Warren Buffet made their wealth. Can the same be said of Nigeria's overnight billionaires that wake up one day to start airlines,banks,oil companies and shipping companies? Remember $600 billlion has been looted from the country since 1960 and money laundering needed to be done to turn the dirty money clean by generals and politicians.

How did Adenuga, Otedola get the capital to secure huge business. Every rich man is/was into shady business. Even the billionaires u mentioned

2 Likes

Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by orisa37: 2:28pm On May 28, 2020
WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THEY MADE THE WEALTH? USELESS ALMAJIRIS.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by sesameq: 2:38pm On May 28, 2020
the society doesn't ask why are you poor, but they will ask you why are you rich?

runtown: where then dey when I dey for gutter? where then dey when I dey for street?

2 Likes

Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by budaatum: 3:23pm On May 28, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

Politics in other climes is a call to service and not an avenue to become wealthy. Just because he became a Commissioner and later Vice-President shoudn't have changed his fortunes based on the salaries and allowances earned while in office and abiding by civil service rules of not engaging in private business.
My story was set in the early 70s. The person it is about was not a civil servant on salary. The reason people said his wife was in a cupboard is he was already very rich. And the "call to serve" is to everyone, and most specially should be heard by those who do not like or appreciate those who are currently 'serving'.

1 Like

Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by Nobody: 3:29pm On May 28, 2020
budaatum:

My story was set in the early 70s. The person it is about was not a civil servant on salary. The reason people said his wife was in a cupboard is he was already very rich. And the "call to serve" is to everyone, and most specially should be heard by those who do not like or appreciate those who are currently 'serving'.

Most wealth obtained through Nigeria is through financial crimes and tax evasion. There is a vast gulf between the rich and poor, unlike other countries around the world, were wealth is equally distributed. Nigeria is paradise for the fantastically corrupt, who can get away with any financial crimes without paying the price.
In Nigeria politics and public service is seen as a means to become an overnight billionaire. And no one will ever question you about the source of your wealth.

Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by Nobody: 3:29pm On May 28, 2020
Michealky:

How did Adenuga, Otedola get the capital to secure huge business. Every rich man is/was into shady business. Even the billionaires u mentioned
One received an oil block from IBB in the early 90's and the other was given monopoly to import diesel by OBJ.
Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by Agboriotejoye(m): 3:53pm On May 28, 2020
budaatum:
There was this wealthy man who lived on Osinbajo Close in Obanikoro close to Bola Adewunmi Street where I once lived. People said his wife was in a cupboard, and every time he needed money, he just had to call her name and money fell from her mouth. I asked them how they knew this, if, when he called his wife's name he invited them in to watch, but they told me how ignorant I was and I should shut the fuq up.

What they didn't know was the man who lived on Osinbajo Close was a hard working lawyer who would go on to become the Vice President of Nigeria.

Op, you may not be rich, yet, but does any one have the right to ask where you get your money from? Would you like people to have that right?
Telling lies to support corruption. All for crumbs from the table of the corrupt.
Yes. It is a right in a sane society to question the source of one's wealth. Or how exactly do you think the likes of Pablo Escobar and the Italian mafia were found out. Or the wolves who devoured on Wall street.
Stop speaking from a position of ignorance. Unquestionable wealth is corrupt wealth

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by budaatum: 3:57pm On May 28, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

Most wealth obtained through Nigeria is through financial crimes and tax evasion.
I hear this a lot, along with "most Nigerians are crooks". Yet when I ask those who make such claims if they and their mama and papa are crooks, they say "of course not", so I kindly inform them they must be non-Nigerians then.

You don't see the hard work a lot of wealthy Nigerians do, as insinuated by my story about a man who lived on Osinbajo Close. And your "most wealth" is that of people you read about in the media, and not the majority of people who silently get on with their business and the enjoyment of their wealth.

RuudVanNisteroy:

There is a vast gulf between the rich and poor, unlike other countries around the world, were wealth is equally distributed.
There is no country in the world where wealth is equally distributed, and there is a vast gulf everywhere between rich and poor, as wealth is as unequally distributed as sense in the head, diligence, and know how to get rich.

In fact, wealth is not "distributed" at all, you got to go work for it!

RuudVanNisteroy:

Nigeria is paradise for the fantastically corrupt, who can get away with any financial crimes without paying the price.
In Nigeria politics and public service is seen as a means to become an overnight billionaire. And no one will ever question you about the source of your wealth.
Sorry, but I know Nigerian politicians and public servants who are not rich, and I know some who were jailed for their corruption while in office, so I can't possibly agree with you since it would involve the refusal to use my senses or non acceptance of what I perceive with them.

The fact is, you need wealth to be a politician in the first place or you wouldn't be able to afford the nomination form.

2 Likes

Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by Nobody: 3:57pm On May 28, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

Telling lies to support corruption. All for crumbs from the table of the corrupt.
Yes. It is a right in a sane society to question the source of one's wealth. Or how exactly do you think the likes of Pablo Escobar and the Italian mafia were found out. Or the wolves who devoured on Wall street.
Stop speaking from a position of ignorance. Unquestionable wealth is corrupt wealth
Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by Nobody: 4:00pm On May 28, 2020
budaatum:

I hear this a lot, along woth "most Nigerians are crooks". Yet when I ask those who make such claims if they and their mama and papa are crooks, they say " of course not", so I kindly inform them they must be non-Nigerians then.

You don't see the hard work a lot of wealthy Nigerians do, as insinuated by my story about a man who lived on Osinbajo Close. And your "most wealth" is that of people you read about in the media, and not the majority of people who silently get on with their business and the enjoyment of their wealth.

There is no country in the world where wealth is equally distributed, and there is a vast gulf everywhere between rich and poor, as wealth is as unequally distributed as sense in the head, diligence, and know how to get rich.

In fact, wealth is not "distributed" at all, you got to go work for it!

Sorry, but I know Nigerian politicians and public servants who are not rich, and I know some who were jailed for their corruption while in office, so I can't possibly agree with you since it would involve the refusal to use my senses or accept what I perceive with them.

The fact is, you need wealth to be a politician in the first place or you wouldn't be able to afford the nomination form.
That is not true- were Ekeremadu,Ganduje,Amaechi,Uduaghan,Wike,Dino Melaye etc wealthy before they entered politics?If you needed to be wealthy: then why has $600 billion dollars been pilfered since 1960 and why are majority of federal,state and local government allocations looted by the 'wealthy elected politicians'?

Why is Nigeria regarded as headquarters of corruption by other world leaders? If the politicians are wealthy they won't pilfering funds like madmen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg7lfHL_l1w
Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by budaatum: 4:01pm On May 28, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

Pablo and the Italian mafia were investigated for crime, and not just for being wealthy. And if you weren't ignorant, you'd know there's a lot of wealthier people in the country those two you mentioned were investigated who are not investigated at all.

1 Like

Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by budaatum: 4:09pm On May 28, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

[b]That is not true- were Ekeremadu,Amaechi,Uduaghan,Wike,Dino Melaye etc wealthy before they entered politics?[/b]If you needed to be wealthy: then why has $600 billion dollars been pilfered since 1960 and why are majority of federal,state and local government allocations looted by the wealthy elected politicians?
If they were not wealthy, and were poor like you, then I have to ask, why did uncrooked you not go into politics leaving us with crooks like them (assuming they are crooks)? Is it not the lack of supposedly honest people like you in politics that leaves us with supposed crooks?

I am not against scrutinising politicians! In fact, scrutiny, as small as it is, is why I support bubu, since there was no scrutiny under the prior government. But assuming all politicians are crooks is as lazy as thinking all Nigerians are crooks. I don't think you are a crook and I think you are Nigerian!

Let us indeed scrutinise. But let us not just assume every rich person stole their wealth because it can't possibly be true.

1 Like

Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by Nobody: 4:15pm On May 28, 2020
Yorubas will say, ìsàlẹ̀ ọrọ̀ l'ẹ́gbin.

Check the foundation of most wealth and you'll find maggots.

1 Like

Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by budaatum: 4:16pm On May 28, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg7lfHL_l1w
The person in above video had a crooked wealthy father who made money through tax evasion, but I guess one is too lazy to scrutinise that!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/06/the-cameron-network-inherited-wealth-and-family-companies

Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by Nobody: 4:18pm On May 28, 2020
budaatum:

If they were not wealthy, and were poor like you, then I have to ask, why did uncrooked you not go into politics leaving us with crooks like them (assuming they are crooks)? Is it not the lack of supposedly honest people like you in politics that leaves us with supposed crooks?

I am not against scrutinising politicians! In fact, scrutiny, as small as it is, is why I support bubu, since there was no scrutiny under the prior government. But assuming all politicians are crooks is as lazy as thinking all Nigerians are crooks. I don't think you are a crook and I think you are Nigerian!

Let us indeed scrutinise. But let us not just assume every rich person stole their wealth because it can't possibly be true.
How can you support Bubu?Where were you, when he said Abacha never stole and said he doesn't know the technology used in the tape, showing Ganduje collecting $5 million dollars in bribe and when he was campaigning for Atiku Bagudu to be Governor of Kebbi state who helped Abacha launder billions of dollars and was going to receive $100 million dollars out of the recently returned Abacha loot, before USA stepped in.

You are part of the crooked system and support the enablers.

1 Like

Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by Agboriotejoye(m): 4:24pm On May 28, 2020
budaatum:

Pablo and the Italian mafia were investigated for crime, and not just for being wealthy. And if you weren't ignorant, you'd know there's a lot of wealthier people in the country those two you mentioned were investigated who are not investigated at all.

Crimes which were tied to their ill gotten wealth. Go read about them before you start forming knowledge that does not exist. A closer example is that of Allen Onyema recently. You can tell me the crime he committed to warrant his investigation. You can also tell us the crimes Donald Trump has committed to warrant his been heckled to release his tax returns. A lot more examples abound of wealth being questioned in those countries among others.

1 Like

Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by Agboriotejoye(m): 4:29pm On May 28, 2020
budaatum:

The person in above video had a crooked wealthy father who made money through tax evasion, but I guess one is too lazy to scrutinise that!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/06/the-cameron-network-inherited-wealth-and-family-companies

And here you are saying the wealthy are never investigated. Pray tell, was Cameron's father the subject of an armed robbery to warrant this investigation?

1 Like

Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by Nobody: 4:36pm On May 28, 2020
Michealky:
Everybody wants to be rich bro, nobody gat time to question another man's wealth.
At that is why we don't have 24 electricity,world class hospitals,portable water,good road network and a sanitation system. There is a price to be paid when a society value system is to pursue money by all means possible.

1 Like

Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by Nobody: 4:44pm On May 28, 2020
TripleOh7:
Yorubas will say, ìsàlẹ̀ ọrọ̀ l'ẹ́gbin.

Check the foundation of most wealth and you'll find maggots.

1 Like

Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by budaatum: 4:48pm On May 28, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

And here you are saying the wealthy are never investigated. Pray tell, was Cameron's father the subject of an armed robbery to warrant this investigation?
I don't get you. And I never said "the wealthy are never investigated". Please open your eyes are read properly.

You should be investigated if you commit a crime. But being wealthy is not a crime, as far as I know.

1 Like

Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by budaatum: 4:56pm On May 28, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

Crimes which were tied to their ill gotten wealth. Go read about them before you start forming knowledge that does not exist. A closer example is that of Allen Onyema recently. You can tell me the crime he committed to warrant his investigation. You can also tell us the crimes Donald Trump has committed to warrant his been heckled to release his tax returns. A lot more examples abound of wealth being questioned in those countries among others.
Trump's wealth is not being investigated, at least, not officially. And Allen Onyema is being officially investigated for money laundering, which he wouldn't be if he hadn't behaved shadily when moving funds to America.

No one says you as an individual should not investigate or heckle as much as you want. But you should not expect an official investigation just because a person is wealthy.

1 Like

Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by Agboriotejoye(m): 5:05pm On May 28, 2020
budaatum:

Trump's wealth is not being investigated, at least, not officially. And Allen Onyema is being officially investigated for money laundering, which he wouldn't be if he hadn't behaved shadily when moving funds to America.

No one says you as an individual should not investigate or heckle as much as you want. But you should not expect an official investigation just because a person is wealthy.
Well, officially, you're expected to pay tax on your wealth and spending. Part of the info required is the source of your wealth. Woe betide you if you lie. In saner countries that is.

1 Like

Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by budaatum: 5:07pm On May 28, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

How can you support Bubu?Where were you, when he said Abacha never stole and said he doesn't know the technology used in the tape, showing Ganduje collecting $5 million dollars in bribe and when he was campaigning for Atiku Bagudu to be Governor of Kebbi state who helped Abacha launder billions of dollars and was going to receive $100 million dollars out of the recently returned Abacha loot, before USA stepped in.

You are part of the crooked system and support the enablers.
When the choice is ghanamustgo bags and soakaways full of foreign currency, its very easy to support Buhari as only a fool would think the raping of Nigeria under pdp was better.

As to your verdict against me, don't you think you should investigate me before jumping to lazy conclusions? But then, you do show how lazy you are by repeating the debunked claim that Bagudu "was going to receive $100 million dollars out of the recently returned Abacha loot".

To think the rest of the politicians, whom you claim are crooks, would just sit and watch while one Bagudu collects $100m just shows how little you reason, in my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by Xeeex: 5:10pm On May 28, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:
In the land of the poverty and corruption capital of the world- the one eye man called "money" is king. A land that produces overnight billionaire's within the shortest possible time, who live like Kings and Queens and are hailed by the poverty stricken populace.

However, one question never asked is what is the source of these overnight billionaires and so called businessmen wealth. They can't point to a single manufacturing plant where workers manufacture goods or operate machines processing one product into another or any proprietary technology or patent.

Where did they get the capital or breakthrough that turned them to overnight billionaires with an expensive car collection that will make Floyd Mayweather green with envy or a private jet that will will make Cristiano Ronaldo feel inadequate.

In Nigeria the end justifies the means. And no question is ever asked if the wealth was acquired through legal means. Nigeria has few role models like Linda Ikeji who can point out how they were able to acquire their wealth without inflated government contracts,tax evasion,favoritism thorough arbitrary award of oil blocks and oil lifting contracts and other financial crimes.

Why don't we focus on the source of our poverty instead?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by budaatum: 5:11pm On May 28, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

Well, officially, you're expected to pay tax on your wealth and spending. Part of the info required is the source of your wealth. Woe betide you if you lie. In saner countries that is.
I do not think it is true that one must pay tax on one's wealth.

In supposed saner UK and US, no one pays tax on their wealth since they've already paid tax on their income. And Vat takes care of tax on spending.

1 Like

Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by budaatum: 5:12pm On May 28, 2020
Xeeex:

Why don't we focus on the source of our poverty instead?
I wonder. Some would rather look at another person's full plate than wonder why theirs is empty.

1 Like

Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by Nobody: 5:18pm On May 28, 2020
budaatum:

When the choice is ghanamustgo bags and soakaways full of foreign currency, its very easy to support Buhari as only a fool would think the raping of Nigeria under pdp was better.

As to your verdict against me, don't you think you should investigate me before jumping to lazy conclusions? But then, you do show how lazy you are by repeating the debunked claim that Bagudu "was going to receive $100 million dollars out of the recently returned Abacha loot".

To think the rest of the politicians, whom you claim are crooks, would just sit and watch while one Bagudu collects $100m just shows how little you reason, in my opinion.
You reason like a crook that is why you see the APC of Buhari,Tinubu,Ameachi,Akpabio,Ganduje as better than PDP. And can't see the only difference between the two crooked parties is just party name.
Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by Nobody: 5:21pm On May 28, 2020
budaatum:

I do not think it is true that one must pay tax on one's wealth.

In supposed saner UK and US, no one pays tax on their wealth since they've already paid tax on their income. And Vat takes care of tax on spending.
In saner climes the tax authorities can investigate you either through tips from whistleblowers or through wealth that cannot be accounted for.

You can't be driving around in a $350,000 Rolls Royce Phantom and your tax records show you only paid $10,000 tax and declared an income of $50,000 or be living in a $2 million dollar mansion when you tax records show you only earned $150,000 over a 5 year period.
Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by budaatum: 5:24pm On May 28, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

You reason like a crook that is why you see the APC of Buhari,Tinubu,Ameachi,Akpabio,Ganduje as better than PDP. And can't see the only difference between the two crooked parties is just party name.
Please know that the only person I see as better than pdp amongst all those you mentioned is the Buhari whom I mentioned. And I am very delighted that most voting Nigerians seem to agree with me as shown by his winning a second term.

If pdp had continued with their level of looting there'd likely be no Nigeria today to the delight of some but the detriment of many.
Re: Time For Nigerians To Start Questioning People's Source Of Wealth by budaatum: 5:31pm On May 28, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

In saner climes the tax authorities can investigate you either through tips from whistleblowers or through wealth that cannot be accounted for.

You can't be driving around in a $350,000 Rolls Royce Phantom and your tax records show you only paid $10,000 tax and declared an income of $50,000 or be living in a $2 million dollar mansion when you tax records show you only earned $150,000 over a 5 year period.
They investigate your income and not necessarily your wealth, is the point you miss here. And the income of top Nigerian politicians can easily allow them to ride a $350,000 Rolls Royce Phantom, if that's their desire.

But, you should blame the voters for electing a $350,000 Rolls Royce Phantom politician, is the point here, as the priority of a $350,000 Rolls Royce Phantom purchasing politician is obviously not you!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Somalian Minister Of Defense VS Nigerian Minister Of Defense / Sweat In Tinubu Strategy Room Over Northerners Betrayal / Nigerians Too Timid For Revolution – Gov. Amaechi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.