Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,940 members, 7,814,182 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:36 AM

"Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" (23605 Views)

Anambra Ministry Rescues Mentally-ill Mum & Her Infant From The Streets (Pics) / NIMET Partners With Tagwaye Foundation On Drug And Substance Abuse Control / Ambode Declares Zero Tolerance For Infant Mortality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by mu2sa2: 11:20am On May 28, 2020
GboyegaD:
Where is NAFDAC? Dora Akunyili comes to mind.
Nafdac was buried with Dora Akunyili, sadly.
Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by MasterKernel: 11:25am On May 28, 2020
BUSHHUNTER:
The people from yEAST will not kill us finish

Surprisingly tribal bigotry is highly embedded in your DNA, it's often borne out lack of opportunity and under-achievement.

I'm yet to know if majority of the producers are Igbo companies, or if they're based in Igboland.
Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by OgbanjeProphet: 11:26am On May 28, 2020
BUSHHUNTER:
Almajirai.com grin
Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by Wiseandtrue(f): 11:26am On May 28, 2020
samuel19222:
So what the hell is the work of Nafdac
Nafdac died with Dora Akunyili!!!
Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by Nobody: 11:26am On May 28, 2020
Eagle360:
All these can food self, they are cost.
That's why we go local. Maize+Guinea corn+Soybeans+ Crayfish+Groundnuts and some other ingredients. Very cheap and promote growths. It safe a lot.
Organic is always healthier and better even for adults

1 Like

Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by ronyman(m): 11:28am On May 28, 2020
Yeast kee you dia
BUSHHUNTER:
Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by lilfort(m): 11:33am On May 28, 2020
ODJ123:
kudos to scientists that conducted the research.....

*Yesterday morning, some ladies raped a guy while he was going for a jogging. This morning over 700 guys were found jogging on the same road. Men will be Men* ..

meanwhile check ma SIG.....
register while it last.....and smile to d bank..
DIS NAIJA HAS FINISHED ME
Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by Shancca: 11:34am On May 28, 2020
ikorodureporta:

https://tribuneonlineng.com/infant-formulas-on-sale-in-nigeria-high-in-arsenic-toxic-substance/

Front page please. Arsenic is a carcinogen and has high potential in causing lung cancer and neurological damage. It was heavily mined in the UK, Cornwall and Devon to be precise in the 17th and 18th century due to its uses in the production of pigments and pesticides. Highly valuable substance and gotten as a byproduct from Arsenopyrite and other pyrites through the labyrinths and chimneys. However, during the middle of 20th century, arsenic was discovered to cause threat to human health and its production ceased abruptly, leading to losses in investments. Now in Cornwall and Devon, there are over 1000 derelict mines with traces of high arsenic contamination. These mines have formed local recreations for the nearby communities, however care must be ensured to minimize dermal contacts and possible inhalations upon site visits.

I speak from experience as I conducted my MSc thesis in Poldice Mine in Cornwall, UK. Arsenic is an interesting area of research for geochemists and geochronologists in the UK. I visited so many mines in Devon during my stay as an MSc student.

Nigeria should prioritize arsenic research and set guidelines for limits of permissibilities, where possible.

1 Like

Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by Bighead9: 11:35am On May 28, 2020
BUSHHUNTER:

God don dey exposé them one by one. grin grin grin grin grin

Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by coputa(m): 11:38am On May 28, 2020
The hydra headed beast,sorry,Yeast values m*ney than life,it will be difficult to tame.
Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by TheBusinessHub: 11:47am On May 28, 2020
EDGEof2MORO:

Your maths does not add up! angry

How do you expect people to contact you when the ad is not straightforward?

It's optional. I'm busy mentoring offline. I don't have time for imbrigolio about how 100k for twelve months doesn't amount 1m. This project is not for everybody
Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by engrjacuzzi: 11:52am On May 28, 2020
thank God my children don't take such things. while I tried to introduce infant milk, my babies rejected it and prefer to eat natural cooked meal. I said bye bye to infant milk and cereals.
Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by apexx5597: 11:54am On May 28, 2020
[color=#] 2068144[/color]
Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by apexx5597: 11:54am On May 28, 2020
Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by IFNOTGOD(m): 11:55am On May 28, 2020
when you see news like this just know one of our own is ready to dive into d business of making baby food.

now dey will bam importation of baby food just d way dey said d tomato paste we have been using for years causes cancer.
Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by panpan(m): 11:55am On May 28, 2020
lekki1444:
cheesy atomic number 33

Thank you for reminding some of us that arsenic is an element.
Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by damoneymag(m): 11:59am On May 28, 2020
I almost lost my daughter at 3month to one of those adulterated infant formula. as soon as she took it, she started vomiting and stooling at the same time. I had to rush her to the hospital in the middle of the night. the doctor asked if we changed her food, so I decided to buy another one.

1 Like

Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by incogni2o: 12:04pm On May 28, 2020
Gramps:
G

fill in the gaps has, Bros.

what a waste of precious space
Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by panpan(m): 12:17pm On May 28, 2020
ideology:
Why should it be added in the first place?
Arsenic may not have been "added". It is more likely to be present from contamination.

Arsenic occurs naturally in rocks, soil, ground water and well water.
Through ground water, arsenic may find its way into crops that are processed for food.
Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by OKTolu: 12:19pm On May 28, 2020
God help us ooo
Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by Electroweb(m): 12:21pm On May 28, 2020
There are lots of fake baby food out there. Don’t know how these evil people sleep at night. Mofos. They adulterate the expensive ones. The one I bought recently ...very expensive yet fake. Smh. The name starts with A and ends with L.
Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by Adrian9(m): 12:29pm On May 28, 2020
You are what you eat.
Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by shomutuski(m): 12:36pm On May 28, 2020
fatymore:
Exclusive feeding for 6months cool

Six is too small nah. I had this same discussion with my babe yesterday.

I told her at least a year then the next months can be negotiated.

She said never ooo, that the child will drain her. Lool.

My mum breastfed me exclusively for a year then the next eight months were pap, cereals etc plus the same breast milk.

Maybe that's why i love boobs too much. �

3 Likes

Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by Johnsghana(m): 12:44pm On May 28, 2020
Nigerians killing Nigerians because of profit and money.

Yet they will blame govt & leaders for everything...

All those people shouting that Nigeria doesn't belong together will be in for the shock of their life when Nigeria splits. Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba or any other tribe, we are still the same covetous, greed and vain people.

If we don't fix our collective values, if you like spilt Nigeria into households, these issues will persist.

1 Like

Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by Nobody: 12:45pm On May 28, 2020
I think they're only trying to be mischievous by stating that there were no established guidelines for arsenic levels in infant food. It might have been easier to believe they were sincerely wrong if the same publication hadn't quoted a recommended limit for the same arsenic (0.2mg/Kg). And floating that recommended limit by more than 400 % should have be a ground for the products to have been denied approval immediately. This is arsenic we are talking about, in infant food! And those in charge of NAFDAC happen to experts on food and drugs! So the only way to explain this is to assume that NAFDAC never really performed these analyses before issuing approval for those products. Or they performed them only at the point of filing application for NAFDAC approval and no follow-up compliance checks were conducted.

Farki:

According to the paper no alarm was raised because there were no established guidelines for arsenic levels in infant food.
Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by Cousin9999: 12:46pm On May 28, 2020
Devils from China. Spreading their depravity all over the world.
Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by ideology(m): 1:17pm On May 28, 2020
panpan:

Arsenic may not have been "added". It is more likely to be present from contamination.

Arsenic occurs naturally in rocks, soil, ground water and well water.
Through ground water, arsenic may find its way into crops that are processed for food.

Lol, trace elements exist but if all the products contain the same thing, could it be said that will of them are contaminated.

Don't forget it's not only arsenic, mercury is among these food stuffs...

I can tell you that it is deliberate
Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by Nobody: 1:39pm On May 28, 2020
Eagle360:
All these can food self, they are cost.
That's why we go local. Maize+Guinea corn+Soybeans+ Crayfish+Groundnuts and some other ingredients. Very cheap and promote growths. It safe a lot.
na poverty they talk

1 Like

Re: "Infant Formulas On Sale In Nigeria High In Arsenic, Toxic Substance" by Nobody: 1:45pm On May 28, 2020
ideology:

What you are seeing is deliberate...

If I talk now people will shout consipracy theory

Please quote me in a dead thread. We need to stand up and save our society. If we get to the level American is today, we can't handle it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Inside Phamatex Lagos As The Sun Management Visits Pharmaceutical Giant / Two Borno COVID-19 Patients Flee After Testing Positive / 143 New COVID-19 Cases,125 Discharged And No Deaths On August 31 - (2569 Tested)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.