Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,305 members, 7,836,330 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:03 AM

Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System (42650 Views)

Stephen Mouka: Obidients Ridiculed As "Eluuu-P" Singer Was Spotted In Workshop / Peter Obi Attends The Governance Agenda For An Inclusive Nigerian Summit / Osun Election: Adeleke Has Ridiculed The People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by bizzibodi(m): 7:53pm On May 28, 2020
Why is obj copying former powerless African presidents?

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by Vicyace: 7:55pm On May 28, 2020
xpool:

No, I disagree with you on some points.
Yes America will always try to bully everyone who does not buy into their idea, but they will never say you are corrupt when they don't have anything on you.
They don't come to fight with nothing, and Nigerians are "fantastically" corrupt.

Like the Americans are saints? WTH

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by Nobody: 7:56pm On May 28, 2020
festacman:

I believe at the moment Adesina's candidacy is unopposed awaiting formal voting for ratification. I stand to be corrected. He was able to woo African leaders to support him. One Diop who wanted to challenge him was shut down by his own president.
Then you are politically naive, have you ask yourself where all the inside leak and document are coming out from? His enemies are inside that secretariate building.
If I were him, I would just forgot about second term and go and enjoy my sweat and labour. The fight is about to go dirty and trust me when I tell you this vultures will destroy any iota of reputation he has left.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by Obamaofusa: 7:58pm On May 28, 2020
abbey621:

We all know the man is powerful enough to bribe the ethic's board. I've worked in a Fortune 100 company for the last decade, when a huge scandal occurs you don't leave it up to your board, external investigators are needed. Where there is smoke, we can usually find some form of fire. Think about it, who made the allegations, people from inside? Employees? Certainly something is wrong somewhere.

lol

You don't know a bit about international politics,do you?

The internal investigators consists of different sovereign countries and they did their job for three months.You cannot bribe all these countries for USA not to find out.

Ask yourself who is paying the independent investigator... just a firm, an entity which can easily be bought by USA.

Use your head.USA wants him out because he has become a positive story for Africa and they want their stooge that will further wreck Africa but they have failed.Adeshina will overcome.Africa will triumph. Nigeria will be more powerful than USA soonest.We will triumph over their evil machinations.

Adeshina will triumph.

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by Jakemedg(m): 8:00pm On May 28, 2020
ugofulfilled:

what you put up here does it agree with the AfDB's rules and regulations? Learn to judge issues with recourse to rules and not merely by what you think.
Where did i judge? learn to read before quoting
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by festacman(m): 8:04pm On May 28, 2020
Kenplay:

Then you are politically naive, have you ask yourself where all the inside leak and document are coming out from? His enemies are inside that secretariate building.
If I were him, I would just forgot about second term and go and enjoy my sweat and labour. The fight is about to go dirty and trust me when I tell you this vultures will destroy any iota of reputation he has left.

The truth is that AfDB Ethics Committee did its work for three months investigating Akinwumi Adesina while he carried on lobbying for his 2nd term. Part of allegations against him is that he addressed ECOWAS leaders meeting during which he was adopted as ECOWAS candidate. Yes, if US succeeds in suspending him, naturally more candidates might come up. But as it today, Adesina remains Africa's only candidate.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by ugofulfilled(m): 8:05pm On May 28, 2020
Jakemedg:
Where did i judge? learn to read before quoting

No. you go back and reread what you wrote and then see if what you said agrees with the rule of the bank that empowers the ethics committee to investigate the president. All of you calling for independent investigation I presume are pencils in the hands of westerners.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by FuckAllTheMODs: 8:06pm On May 28, 2020
AroleOduduwa2:
I love obj, he's the best president that ever ruled this country, he doesn't mince words, very direct and on point.

Obasanjo best president ke?

Anyway that's your opinion, I won't argue with you.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by DexterousOne(m): 8:07pm On May 28, 2020
Kenplay:

Should I tell you what will suprise you? Adeshina is being fought by his fellow african who wants to succeed him. The US is just the big power smoke screen being use as a front. Most African countries have hatred for Nigeria

Another valid angle

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by MrBONE2(m): 8:08pm On May 28, 2020
festacman:
This is a fierce battle for the SOUL of AfDB. I hope Africa wins.

Finally the issues of visionless leadership, corruption and poor management of countries' economies have come to haunt Africa. We don't even fully own our bank!

Believe me, if Akinwumi Adesina will survive this storm, two things will help:

1. His personal relationship and rapport with leaders of Germany, France, Japan and Canada well as most African countries. Even after serving under Jonathan, he maintained good relationship with Pres Buhari. He has this intellectual charm. Part of his offence is that he has virtually secured 2nd term unopposed without recourse to almighty United States.

2. The hatred which EU has for the proud narcissistic Donald Trump, the President of United States may help Adesina's case. Nigeria should exploit this to protect our candidate and image as a country.

All these letters will put diplomatic pressure on AfDB Board of Directors but if US garners the support of key non-African shareholders, Akinwumi Adesina will go because Francophone countries will always toe the line drawn by France thereby deflating Africa's resistance. In addition,
I don't trust grin South Africa grin to protect Nigeria's interest.

grin

Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by blowjohn(m): 8:16pm On May 28, 2020
mvem:
huh...Obama has no political power anymore and he is actually irrelevant in world politics presently. When you become an ex-US president you are relegated to your house...

Oh well....
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by Saintsquare(m): 8:17pm On May 28, 2020
Abjdrg:

Honestly, I do not think America has the right to accuse anyone of favoritism and corruption at this point in time in their own history. It is rather hypocritical for USA to accuse somebody or some country of favoritism.
This sums it up, I'm quite perplexed some dumb Nigerians are actually supporting the probe as if almighty Americans are angels. Now I believe the statement of when trying to help Africans/Blacks, they will be the one dragging you back.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by foreshore(m): 8:20pm On May 28, 2020
Nfora:

Very stupid comment.

OBJ has written as an individual.

Buhari/FG has written through the minister of finance,being a finance related matter.

Trump or any other national president has not written concerning this matter,therefore it would be very stupid of anybody to expect Buhari to write directly.

Obviously you are not in your senses or you do not have any at all. Is it about writing or about lobbying!
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by mathguy: 8:27pm On May 28, 2020
Adesina isn't gonna win without a proper investigation. It's like EFCC investigating Buhari while he's still in power. Without him stepping off the investigation, it'd be apparent to all that he's not innocent.

These letters remind me of whenever you tell someone that a politician from their region is corrupt. Their usual response? 'Is it because he's a yoruba or Igbo or whatever'. That's usually a tactic to derail the argument on ground.

While Adesina might have had a good record as a minister of Agriculture, that still doesn't make him a Saint of any kind. Like Fashola, a great Governor, yet he was still corrupt... Corruption is not only about stealing money by the way.

Adesina's image at international level is at stake here and without a proper investigation, he'd have that image tarnished forever with a very slim chance of ever getting any future posts outside Nigeria.

Lastly, there are other stakeholders in AFDB outside Africa so people need to educate themselves a little bit more here.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by Gazzy88(m): 8:29pm On May 28, 2020
USA seems too powerful. Their wings need to be clipped.
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by Nobody: 8:33pm On May 28, 2020
OBJ, the only respected African leader alive. Hundreds of applause baba. When OBJ coughs, world leaders shiver. I remember this sage calling UK PM and his counterpart thieves years back grin
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by TruthinAction: 8:37pm On May 28, 2020
I wished they could investigate this government. I will be the happiest person on earth.
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by Nobody: 8:37pm On May 28, 2020
AroleOduduwa2:
I love obj, he's the best president that ever ruled this country, he doesn't mince words, very direct and on point.
I concur. I remember when he clamored for debt relief at the heat of the covid-19 pandemic alongside Madam Ngozi, before Nigeria govt followed suit...his request was granted sharply

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by Jakemedg(m): 8:41pm On May 28, 2020
ugofulfilled:

No. you go back and reread what you wrote and then see if what you said agrees with the rule of the bank that empowers the ethics committee to investigate the president. All of you calling for independent investigation I presume are pencils in the hands of westerners.
Okay i have done that and i still maintain my stand on an independent investigation devoid of US interference.
Have you bothered to ask yourself what 's the stand of other African countries on this iissue?

Speaking about pencils in the hands of westerners well you and i know our African leaders have always been pencils in the hands of westerners and will continue to be for as long as we're relying on them for aids etc.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by Banter1(m): 8:50pm On May 28, 2020
slivertongue:
adesina says he is innocent, so let the probe go on
Mtcheeew
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by adenigga(m): 8:54pm On May 28, 2020
seunmsg:

The bank’s internal procedures are clear, it is only the ethics committee that can investigate the president. The ethics committee probed him for three good months and found nothing, that should be the end of the matter. If the US want another investigation, there must be an amendment to the rules and regulations of the bank. Corruption cannot be fought through illegality. An independent investigation of the president is in violation of the banks rules, regulations and governance system.

You are blessed!

I so much love your submission!!!
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by frog12: 8:57pm On May 28, 2020
hes supporting our institutions

DeepSight:

OBJ's letter is inappropriate as it can be said to be invoking a parallel government of ex presidents.
He should shat da f up and allow the governments in power to respond formally as they are doing already.
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by Blackking98(m): 9:01pm On May 28, 2020
Iamgrey5:
I wish him all the best

I am not against him but he should prove himself innocent

Let's wait and see how everything turns out.
the bank committee has cleared him of all charges. The stupid Americans are now Calling for independent investigation which is not enshrined in the law of the bank.
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by cinche(m): 9:03pm On May 28, 2020
Is there anything Like FOWL MONEY.This is beyond my understanding.
From the staple of BABALANDLORDHOUSE comes another hilarious skit.Let watch and share .Ramadan kareem������

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZzXT51YS_s
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by chachanga: 9:06pm On May 28, 2020
weblord1900:
He should be investigated. Maybe U. S saw something they didn't see. Investigation is not a bad thing

US is no saint nor are they incorruptible judges. After watching Obama try to force gay agenda etc on Africa, US is not to be seen as the voice of God. Their antics in the Middle East was not all justice-driven but inclusive of selfish interests, divide& rule tactics and hypocrisy.
China and US are both strategically fighting to own the soul of Africa, the question is why must Africa be owned? Can't Africa own itself and steer its own self-determination? America that used to topple governments at will, you're all now talking about AFDB. If you're slack, they'll take your Bishop down with their Knight and a few well-placed pawns. They'll indict Adesina now and put their own stooge to secure a little more regional and continental control of you lots.
Welcome to the dark side of the international diplomacy chessboard my friend and wake up African, wake up!
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by kokomilala(m): 9:10pm On May 28, 2020
For all America's success as a nation, their ponderoously interfering role has made more foes than allies for her. And it's because there is a vacuum in leadership in Africa. This lack has prevented Africa from articulating a clear diplomatic direction in her relations with the West.
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by Arewa1408: 9:18pm On May 28, 2020
slivertongue:
adesina says he is innocent, so let the probe go on

Bros, read and understand naa. Everything is written in English.
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by 12fruits(m): 9:19pm On May 28, 2020
Is the governance law of AFDB support Independent Probe? If not, your opinion lack merit. It therefore means that America will call for independent probe of African Presidents, which is not lawful. Let's support the rule of law not corruption or Adesina
Jakemedg:
Okay i have done that and i still maintain my stand on an independent investigation devoid of US interference.
Have you bothered to ask yourself what 's the stand of other African countries on this iissue?

Speaking about pencils in the hands of westerners well you and i know our African leaders have always been pencils in the hands of westerners and will continue to be for as long as we're relying on them for aids etc.
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by Obamaofusa: 9:22pm On May 28, 2020
mathguy:

Adesina isn't gonna win without a proper investigation. It's like EFCC investigating Buhari while he's still in power. Without him stepping off the investigation, it'd be apparent to all that he's not innocent.

These letters remind me of whenever you tell someone that a politician from their region is corrupt. Their usual response? 'Is it because he's a yoruba or Igbo or whatever'. That's usually a tactic to derail the argument on ground.

While Adesina might have had a good record as a minister of Agriculture, that still doesn't make him a Saint of any kind. Like Fashola, a great Governor, yet he was still corrupt... Corruption is not only about stealing money by the way.

Adesina's image at international level is at stake here and without a proper investigation, he'd have that image tarnished forever with a very slim chance of ever getting any future posts outside Nigeria.

Lastly, there are other stakeholders in AFDB outside Africa so people need to educate themselves a little bit more here.

Everybody who is discernible and international politics savvy knows the antics of USA but USA has failed.
Read this:

BANKING

EX-AfDB General Counsel asks Bank to resist US bullying over Adesina probe
By Ikenna Emewu - May 28, 2020 68 0

An unnamed former General Counsel of the Africa Development Bank (AfDB) has asked the bank not to yield to what was called the bullying antics of US for the probe of the president of the Bank, Akinwumi Adesina for a second time

The allegations against Adesina had been investigated and found to be frivolous but US, a minor shareholder, has taken it upon herself to insist the matter already probed by the right body should be reopened.

The ex-general counsel who didn’t disclose the name said in a document we sourced from the social media platform, Facebook that since the appropriate body had exonerated Adesina, it’s abuse of process for US to ask that it should be revisited

As a former General Counsel of the AfDB and one who is familiar with the facts, processes, rules and policies of the institution, allow me to offer a few clarifications. First, AfDB has 78 shareholders, 55 African countries and 33 Non-African countries, including all of the G7 countries. The largest shareholder is Nigeria. Although the US is the largest non-African shareholder, I believe it is currently the 3rd largest shareholder after Nigeria and Egypt. Of course, it is the biggest economic power in the World, for now.
Allegations were made against the AfDB President. Let us leave aside for now the fact that he is a Nigerian or African. The allegations surfaced after it became clear he was going to be the sole candidate for the election this year, and it was inevitable he would be re-elected for a 2nd term. There are internal processes for reviewing such allegations, independent of the President. The Ethics Committee, which I established as General Counsel, is a committee composed exclusively of Board members. The General Counsel serves as Secretary to the Ethics Committee. The purpose of the Committee is to review allegations of ethical misconduct by Executive Directors (Board members) and the President. It has powers to make recommendations in the case of the President to the Chairman of the Board of Governors of AfDB. The Board of Governors is the highest decision-making organ of the AfDB. If after reviewing allegations, the Ethics Committee finds that the allegations are frivolous, it recommends that they are dismissed. If it finds that they are not, it recommends to the Chairperson of the Board of Governors that they should be investigated. In this case, the Ethics Committee’s recommendation was that the allegations were frivolous and should be dismissed, because they were not substantiated by the “whistleblowers” and some were patently ridiculous.
The Chairperson of the Board of Governors, who sits in a quasi appellate position in this process reviews the report of the Ethics Committee and decides to uphold the recommendation. Now, the Ethics Committee has 3 African Executive Directors and 2 Non-African Executive Directors (all representatives of shareholders or member states). It is chaired by a Japanese ED and the US ED is a member.
Please tell me why from a corporate governance perspective one shareholder out of 78 shareholders should dictate a position different from that taken by independent oversight organs, simply because they do not agree with the conclusions of these independent oversight bodies? We all know that the current administration in the US has a track record of intolerance for multilateral organisations and has sought to bully other nation states into accepting its position on issues in these organisations. The most recent example being the WHO. Recently, the WTO Director General also had to resign, because of harassment by the current US administration. As a former General Counsel and an international lawyer, as well as a believer in the rule of law, I strongly take exception to the US position.
I hope that the institution will resist this bully tactic and protect the AfDB from an unnecessary...

https://africachinapresscentre.org/2020/05/28/ex-afdb-general-counsel-asks-bank-to-resist-us-bullying-over-adesina-probe/

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by ntyce(m): 9:25pm On May 28, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

They are processes in the bank to recruit employees. And that is part of what the external investigator will look into.

It has been looked into by the board, he wasn't found guilty.
Americans led by Trump who employed his daughter and in-law want him out by all means.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by Hussein01(m): 9:25pm On May 28, 2020
seunmsg:

The same thing they saw in Iraq and Libya. The same thing they saw against Dominic Strauss-Kahn. Smh.

Abi oo, what the ethic committe couldn't see in its three month probe.
Re: Obasanjo, Zainab Ahmed Writes AfDB, Says U.S Has Ridiculed The Governance System by Nobody: 9:27pm On May 28, 2020
Cocolatti:
Am not defending Adeshina but I think his current travails is also as a result of the US & China Face-off.
Hmm.. This is a very valid point/reasoning.

US and China have been in an economic superiority battle over Africa

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Real Reason Why Atiku Did Not Consult SE Governors Before Picking Peter Obi / Photos Of Femi Fani-Kayode After Court Today / Aregbesola & His Wife Bow For Alaafin Of Oyo At A Wedding In Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.