Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,103 members, 7,814,874 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:35 PM

Smallville College 1 - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Smallville College 1 (567 Views)

Smallville College 4 / Smallville College 3 / Smallville College 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Smallville College 1 by ASHSALT(m): 3:39am On May 29, 2020
SMALLVILLE COLLEGE (SMC)

WRITTEN BY: LIZZY OYEBOLA YAKUBU

EPISODE 1

“SmallVille College sir?” I asked, so confused.

I didn’t know if I should be glad or start crying or even fight!

As far as I knew, SmallVille College was not a school for such a person as me. It was a school for the plutocrats and the aristocrats and what exactly did my parents have to take me to such a school as that?

I gained admission into a federal university without stress immediately I graduated two years before and I was to pay just 30,000 naira for the registration and tuition but for four months, we could not get that sum ready.

When we eventually did, the admission had closed and I had to wait for the next year. That year also passed and I had to wait for the next year!

But checking the brochure of SmallVille Academy, I shuddered at the thousands of dollars that was required to be paid. If someone were to give me the fees for just two sessions, I would go to a Federal School, study medicine for eight good years, build a comfortable bungalow and buy a nice, secong hand car.

“While I checked the brochure sir, I couldn’t but wonder why you chose that university for me of all places. See UI, OAU, UNIBEN, why SMC of all schools sir?” I asked Dr. Oladejo.

While waiting for the next set of admission, I started a coaching center where I trained students who were planning to write WAEC, NECO and GCE.

Fortunately, Dr. Oladejo got to know about me and employed me as a private lesson teacher for his only girl, Glory who had difficulty in passing Mathematics and Physics. He said if I could train her till she could get a C6 at most in her papers, he would give me anything I requested for.

Well, when the result was released, Glory made straight As in her two papers and it was a great celebration in their house as everyone chewed my name in their mouth joyfully for weeks.

Even I was shocked at the result. I had thought that even if a miracle were to happen, she would get B3 each. But a greater miracle happened!

“Glory is my only daughter. She was so hopelessly spoilt until you stepped into the picture Beverly. You are a rare gem and I want only the best for you. If you want to study medicine in its original form, SMC is just the best. It has the UK standard and it is fast becoming the number one school in Nigeria” He said and I shook my head.

I was not convinced.

“Sir, going to SMC is like a waste of money sir. I really appreciate your concern and all but if you can give me half of the money, I will collect it and open up a very big business for my parents, then find a federal university to attend”

Let me quickly introduce myself.

My name is Beverly Jones.

I am a 20 year old Bokyi girl from Boki, Cross Rivers State, Nigeria, West Africa, Africa.

My father is a born again, fifty years old, blind man while my mum on the other hand is a forty-five years old, strict woman.

I am the first of six children (All girls). My siblings are Beth, Bailey, Bethany, Brooke, and Becky.

My dad mended shoes and bags while my mum specialized in selling Zobo and puff puff to pupils of St. James Anglican Grammar School, Boki.

“Moreso sir, I don’t know why you are doing this for me. I will never be able to repay you back. Never!” I said, I was already becoming skeptical.

Even though his face looked so convincing and looked as if he wanted the best for me, I had sworn never to seek for help from any man whosoever.

“I don’t seem to get you dear Beverly” He said, looking quite confused.

“Sir, what I mean is that, I have learnt that when a man plans to give you one, he seeks to collect ten from you then!” I said sharply and his wife laughed, looking so surprised while he looked so shocked also.

“Beverly!” He called out again. Glory looked up from the cartoon she was watching so intently and frowned slightly.

But I knew what I was saying!

I had been bitten once and never did I want to get bitten again.

In order to have my WAEC fees paid while I was in SS 3, my mum had to take me to Mr. Boma, the rich Palm Wine Tapper in my area to seek for money.

I can’t forget in a jiffy how he ran his eyes over my body for a while before he spoke.

“How much is the money?” He asked my mother.

I was getting uncomfortable with the way he kept looking at me like I was a product for sale.

“WAEC AND UTME is 50,000” She said, sounding so expectantly.

“Leave her here with me tonight and I will give her the money tomorrow morning.” He said and my mum went on her knees in appreciation and started moving to the door thereafter.

I was shocked.

What was I supposed to be doing for a man who looked like he was lust-infested?

I ran after my mum and she turned to look at me then, her eyes sparkling with such brightness that burnt!

“Why are you following me?” She asked, guilt written all over her face.

“Mum, you can’t leave me here with a palm wine tapper all because of money. I am not that cheap!” I said

Maybe I shouldn’t have said that because as soon as the last word dropped from my mouth, a slap landed on my right cheek and another one on my left.

I went blind for some seconds and when I tried to open my eyes, I saw millions of stars!

Then, my head split open as she pushed me to the wall.

“I am the one that is cheap huh? You must be stupid!” She exclaimed as she looked into my face angrily, holding my neck like I was an unwanted foetus whose birth would bring shame to her.

“I want to go to school has been your song for many days now. We want you to go to school but where is the means? See your useless father, bringing in 200 naira from the shoe something he is doing now that he calls a job, huh! How can we get you 50,000 naira then? Or do you want to stay at home before going to school? And you are here telling me I am cheap? Seriously?!” She pushed me off angrily and I fell down, tears strolling down my face.

I caught her legs as she made to go and she turned to look into my face.

“Mum, I didn’t say you are cheap. I am only saying that the man looks lustful. He looks like he wants to rape me” I cried.

“Rape is without your consent. I am giving the consent. You are my daughter. I own you. Do anything he says you should do!” She exclaimed and I covered my mouth as my breathing ceased for a while.

“Mum!” I screamed as hot tears streamed down my face. I choked as I tried to breathe in the air that had rushed to my nose and almost died when she turned to look into my face fiercely.

“Use what you have to get what you want! Haven’t you heard that saying?” She asked, turned her back at me and moved towards the door. She opened it and went out, banging the door after her.

I sat in that corner for what looked like an eternity, crying bitterly.

I found it very difficult to believe what had happened.

My dad despite being handicapped had always played the motherly role. My mum never had our time but to provide the food we would eat for the day and go on her business...

Source: https://ashsalt.com/2020/04/smallville-college-smc-1/

Cc: Lalasticlala, Tinycoloredmira, Folanubi148, Bukoladauda, QueenMoyinoluwa, Gracebupo, dunayodawodu, PeterSuccess1, Daretobeone, Faithfulwrites2, lolaspen, Peculiar2020, TemidayoRiches, aved29, trophygracie, fumsin, nueltosin1, Adekemi01, ShalomA, Debbyboboye, Clemency24, Fayodamilola, Ruthina1, Honymix, Geniusepoxy, PeculiarInspiro, DebbP, Aymee, Multivite, TheEdenPlace20, Specialneedsedu, omeizadeborah, Oluwamarytalabi, treasuretaiwo, Botapreneur, Olajhidey22

Re: Smallville College 1 by ASHSALT(m): 11:18pm On Jun 02, 2020
What is the matter with Cole?

__

EARL

I was seated in front of my flat awaiting Beverly’s call that she had arrived her place but there was no call. Even after we finished the vigil, there was still no call from her.

When I tried reaching her, her phone was not available. I got to my flat and started knocking on Cole’s door. There was no answer.

Oh suddenly, I see Cole. Guess he traced me here using Google Maps

Beverly’s voice rang in my head.

Definitely, they were together!

What could be happening Lord?

“Or has he followed her to Cross River state?” I suddenly asked aloud. My heart started pounding.

I moved to Cole’s door again and banged harder! When there was no response, I knew he was not inside. I moved to my flat and brought out a recliner that I placed in front of my door. I had to keep a vigil so as to know when Cole would arrive!

Soon enough, I heard his car’s honk and he drove in. I maintained my cool when I saw him coming.

He looked so dangerous and angry that I wondered what was wrong! I watched as he ran fastly into our compound, tears on his face.

Tears?

On Cole’s face?

Impossible!

“F*ck! F*ck you! Sh*t men!” He was cursing under his breath as he pressed the lock on his door and hurriedly jumped in.

I stood up at once, my heart in my mouth!

Something must be wrong!

What is it oh Lord?

I picked my recliner and entered into my flat, my brain so busy doing so much calculations!

I picked my phone just then and dialed Beverly’s number- switched off!

SMALLVILLE COLEGE 6

Oh my goodness!

I went on my knees and raised my hands.

“Lord, I thank You because there is no problem with Beverly. I worship You because she has gotten to her destination safe and sound. Thank You Lord because my heart can rest securely now that You are with her. Thank You Savior. Amen!”

I moved to my wardrobe, brought out my sportswear and changed into them. I would need to go on an early morning exercise to clear my mind because the Lord had told me that ‘It is well!’

Jeje jeje we dey go

Jeje we dey go o jeje

Jeje jeje we don dey go

Jeje….

I sang on as I jogged out of the compound, my huge headphone clutched down my ears. I did not mind the fact that it was just 4am in the morning.

I needed some heart clearing!

_______

BEVERLY

_______

“I’m sorry Beverly” His voice came up in my ears and I clutched the pillow to myself.

“I just don’t know what came over me! I don’t understand!” He said again, tears laced his eyes. I was already too shocked to say anything. I couldn’t even straighten my roughen hair, nor could I pull down my skirt.

Suddenly, there was darkness!

I screamed like I had mistakenly sat down on a hot stove!

I hid my face in the well scented pillow and screamed again.

“Madam, stop screaming. It’s just power outage. They will put on the gen now. Stop disturbing the whole hotel. You aren’t the only one here” An obviously angry soul said, knocking on my door angrily.

“Sorry” I managed to say as my voice could allow.

Soon, the light came on and I sighed.

“Lord, did I come to earth with bad luck? Jesus, what did I do in my past life? I must have been a rapist in my past life! I must have!” I cried out at once, covering my mouth with a pillow so my cries could be suppressed.

Immediately Cole dropped me at the airport, he got a ticket going to my state and paid for it since the one Dr. Earl booked earlier had expired. I didn’t even know how I got to the plane. I didn’t know for how long we were in the air. All I knew was that a taxi dropped me in front of a hotel.

“Madam, you seem so out of your mind. It is well. We brought you to this hotel so you can book for a night and leave for wherever you are going in the morning.” I remembered hearing a woman tell me.

When she realized that I wasn’t listening to her, she must have come down herself to book for a room for me because all I knew was that I was in a hotel room, my luggage with me!

“God bless her! God bless her!” I kept muttering again as I wept still.

Of a truth, there is but a thin line between sanity and insanity; life and death!

COLE

“I am not a beast!” I kept telling myself as tears ran down my face.

“No I am not a dummy! I am not a beast! I am not a dummy!” I cried out loudly as the events of the night before relived in my face.

How could I obey my dad to do something that grievous?

How could I?

“Why am I puppet? Why?” I cried out suddenly.

I remembered the look of agony on her face as she struggled with me in the car.

“Oh my! Oh my! Oh my! Noooo!” I cried out again.

How on earth would I still be able to face her? How?

Tears rushed out of my eyes like a fountain of hot water!

My phone rung just then- daddy!

I hissed as I watched it ring. After a while, when he wouldn’t stop calling, I picked.

“Cole, how far?” He asked.

“What?” I asked disinterestedly.

“Didn’t you do what I asked you to do last night?”

“What did you ask me to do?” I asked, wanting him to mention it with his mouth to see how heavy the word was even in the mouth!

“Your sister is dying! She just came out of a heart attack just few minutes again! If she dies you…”

“Just tell me the correlation between Bella’s health and Beverly’s life daddy! What is happening that we do not know about? What have you entered into that they are demanding for the life of a glorious…” I was saying so angrily when I heard him coughing.

“Cole! Cole! Are you mad Cole? Who are you to say stupid things about your father? Who are you, boy?”

“Who are you too dad? Professor Bello, I ask, who are you? I have been your puppet for too long, but not anymore! I used to love and obey Prof Bello who was a hero but the one I know now is a criminal! A criminal that should be placed behind the bars!”

“What!” He exclaimed. I breathed heavily for a while and then the call dropped. I covered my mouth, so afraid.

“What have I done? What! Ha…I am in trouble! I am in soup!” I cried as I rolled on the floor.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. I jumped up in fear.

Who could it be?

My dad’s touts?

The knock persisted.

“Cole, it’s me. Are you inside?” It was Earl’s voice. I ran to the door quickly and opened. I locked the door immediately he entered.

“You are having issues with daddy?” He asked suddenly and I sighed, resting my head against the wall.

“What is the issue? You can always trust me.” He said calmly and I walked close to him.

“Bella is sick in the hospital. What is the correlation of her health with me sleeping with Beverly even if it takes raping her?” I asked and Earl’s eyes widened. “You are my elder brother, so you should know. If I sleep with Beverly, nay, even if I rape her, Bella will be fine, what does that mean?” I asked and Earl bent his head.

“Daddy asked you to do that?” He asked, still calmly.

“Yes. He said I must do that yesterday! That it must be done yest…” I was saying when he suddenly caught my arms.

“And you did?” He asked urgently. I swallowed.

“Ye…” I was saying when he stood up and walked to the wall. He slapped the wall about three times before he bent down to pant for a while.

I stood up and walked to the wall.

“That girl is a poor, innocent girl who came to this school because she was helped, you people have just everything, why would you take what she’s holding preciously? Why Cole? Even if daddy says you should deep your hands in fire, would you? Would you?” He asked, his voice shaking vehemently.

“That was what I thought about as I was about doing the act. I had pushed her down, drawn her skirt up. I had successfully removed our clothes but as I was about doing the act, I looked into her face…” I paused, looking into Earl’s eyes.

“And…” He asked so anxiously.

“I saw a look in her eyes that was scary! It was pitiful, yet scary! Then I remembered daddy. How could he have sent me on such an evil errand? I stood up immediately and started dressing her. She was so shocked to even do anything! Even as I pled with her, she couldn’t say anything! She just kept crying!” I said and Earl sighed.

“So, you didn’t rape her?” He asked to be sure.

“I almost did, I rough handled her” I said and Earl nodded.

“We thank God that it was not more than that. It is well” He sighed again. I knelt before him.

“Bro, I am now an enemy of daddy! I insulted him on the phone! What do you think he will do next? I am so scared to the bones! I am” I started crying again. I had never been so vulnerable before my elder brother but I had nobody to turn to. Just nobody!

He pulled me up with his huge arms and rested his arms on my shoulders.

“He can do nothing to you if you are under Divine security! Under the Everlasting arms of God!” He said and I blinked.

“Are you preaching again?” I asked, almost dejectedly.

“The farther you try to move away from God, the closer He is to you because we are always praying for you! No other security in this world than in Jesus!” He said and I sighed.

Soon, he was seated with me on my bed, pointing out some verses of the Bible to me. He talked about quoting some of those verse. I crammed quite a lot.

At the end, when he was leaving, I felt new and refreshed.

Jesus actually made a whole lot of sense to me!

“Whether you agree or not, Jesus is Lord!” Earl’s words rang in my head.

Wow!

BEVERLY

The sitting room was as quiet as a graveyard even though we were about twenty in there!

Dr. Oladejo was such a good man and all his foster children, those he was doing good to or those he had helped one way or the other were scattered all over the large house immediately the news of his bad health reached them.

Mummy, his wife had suddenly gone so lean. I rubbed her shoulder as she looked on mournfully.

“It is well mummy” I muttered to her. She nodded with a small smile.

“Who is Beverly?” The doctor that had gone inside to attend to him announced. I was shocked.

“Mummy, which of the Beverlys?’ I asked and she smiled.

“You are the only Beverly on his mind. Maybe when he sees you, he will be okay” She said and I frowned slightly.

“Okay, let’s go in together ma”

“No. If he needs me, he would have sent for me too. He probably wants to discuss some vital things with you. Go” She said with a finality and I nodded.

I stood up and followed the direction of the doctor.

I entered the room and I was wowed!

It looked like a real ICU in a hospital with the many machines, white lights, tubes, palpating sounds and so on. It looked like an entirely new place from the whole house.

“Come and sit down” I heard a ghostly voice and I was confused as I walked to the bed.

That couldn’t be his voice!

Never!

I saw a very lean stature on the bed and my heart shifted from its normal position as I fell to the ground, my hands wrapped around his tummy.

“This is not daddy! This can’t be you! It can’t be” I cried on, sorrowfully.

He looked like he had been waiting for me so he could die afterwards!

“I have been waiting for you” He confirmed my fears and I shook my head.

“Why would you wait for me? Don’t wait for me daddy! You can’t die! You must live! You must. Oh Lord my God!” I wept on. He laughed silently.

“What is death that you are this afraid?” He asked, his voice so croaky.

“Daddy, is it your heart? What is the matter?”

“Yah, heart failure” He said so calmly. There was a sad look on his face.

“Caused by?”

“It was CAD at first, I suffered two heart attacks few weeks after that. Then, now, x-rays say, its cardiomyopathy.” He explained and tears down my face. I saw a stethoscope close to him and picked it up.

“You want to see for yourself? C’mon, do so” He said as I listened to his lings for signs of congestion. I picked up some abnormal heart sounds too.

Oh my God!

“Daddy, how do you feel? You mind a heart transplant?” I asked and he shook his head.

“The whole thing isn’t normal my dear. Up till last week that I had a major check-up, all parts of my body was working perfectly! How could this just happen in a day? How?” He asked, tears forming in his eyes.

Source: https://ashsalt.com/2020/05/smallville-college-smc-6/

Cc: Lalasticlala,Adunjesuara, Tinycoloredmira, Folanubi148, Bukoladauda, QueenMoyinoluwa, Gracebupo, dunayodawodu, PeterSuccess1, Daretobeone, Faithfulwrites2, lolaspen, Peculiar2020, TemidayoRiches, aved29, trophygracie, fumsin, nueltosin1, Adekemi01, ShalomA, Debbyboboye, Clemency24, Fayodamilola, Ruthina1, Honymix, Geniusepoxy, PeculiarInspiro, DebbP, Aymee, Multivite, TheEdenPlace20, Specialneedsedu, omeizadeborah, Oluwamarytalabi, treasuretaiwo, Botapreneur, Olajhidey22

(1) (Reply)

Get Latest Ebook - John Bolton The Room Where It Happened / I Was Disappointed By Achebes Comment On My Nobel Prize - Soyinka / The Beautiful Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.