Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,922 members, 7,835,077 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household - Technology Market (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household (34601 Views)

Tecno Pop 2 Power For Sale 15k / 24/7 Solar Power For Your Office And Home With Payment Plan / Please Help, I Want To Buy Mtn Lumos Solar Power(pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by Yampotatocarrot(m): 8:45pm On Dec 07, 2023
Obnoxious2001:

To power those load you mentioned I don't think so 700k can get u a good 12v backup system

Sorry my question might sound childish, but abeg I no know am

Is there a difference between using an inverter and the solar stuff, or do they come together?

Is it the inverter that determines how long the light lasts or the solar panels? Let's say one wants to use it in an office with just one ceiling fan and two sockets, for three laptops and, say 5 phones, how will one go about it?

Also, in an apartment with two sockets for one laptop and three phones at a time, how will it work?

In the apartment, will one need to get an electrician to rewire the house again, considering it's a rented apartment?

Thanks in advance to you and all that'll contribute

1 Like

Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by Obnoxious2001(m): 9:26pm On Dec 07, 2023
Yampotatocarrot:

Sorry my question might sound childish, but abeg I no know am

Is there a difference between using an inverter and the solar stuff, or do they come together?

Is it the inverter that determines how long the light lasts or the solar panels? Let's say one wants to use it in an office with just one ceiling fan and two sockets, for three laptops and, say 5 phones, how will one go about it?

Also, in an apartment with two sockets for one laptop and three phones at a time, how will it work?

In the apartment, will one need to get an electrician to rewire the house again, considering it's a rented apartment?

Thanks in advance to you and all that'll contribute

No worries you questions are permitted that's the only way we can keep pushing this thread.

To your question, yes you can have an inverter backup system without having a solar system (we basically refer to the solar panels as the solar system since it gives room to recharge the batteries without nepa or gen)

What the inverter does is convert the dc voltage from the battery to Ac voltage which appliances in the house uses.

You may need to provide the wattage of the appliances you want to run, it would aid the design of the system.

No there will be no need for an electrician.
The only time an electrician would be needed is for load separation and possibly point separation.

1 Like

Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by keeper303: 9:49pm On Dec 07, 2023
Obnoxious2001:

No worries you questions are permitted that's the only way we can keep pushing this thread.

To your question, yes you can have an inverter backup system without having a solar system (we basically refer to the solar panels as the solar system since it gives room to recharge the batteries without nepa or gen)

What the inverter does is convert the dc voltage from the battery to Ac voltage which appliances in the house uses.

You may need to provide the wattage of the appliances you want to run, it would aid the design of the system.

The only time an electrician would be needed is for load separation and possibly point separation.

I hope this your answer will not confuse him the more grin grin grin
Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by keeper303: 10:04pm On Dec 07, 2023
Please I also have a question. I have a solar setup of 2nos Luminous flooded batteries with 1600v 24v luminous inverter. The inverter is bad but I acquired another one but it is 1500v luminous. I wish to repair the bad 1600v 24v inverter and use it with 1 luminous battery. Will it work?
Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by Yampotatocarrot(m): 10:18pm On Dec 07, 2023
Obnoxious2001:

Okay, thanks

If one has an inverter as a standalone, how will it be charged, or is it like car battery?

How do I know the watts of the appliances, laptops, phones, fan and bulbs?
Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by keeper303: 11:42pm On Dec 07, 2023
Yampotatocarrot:

Okay, thanks

If one has an inverter as a standalone, how will it be charged, or is it like car battery?

Let me explain the little I know to you. Experts will explain better. This is how the solar system works:-
1. Solar panels collects energy from the sun.
2. Charge Controller regulates the energy that goes into the battery. Note that you can use the Charge controller to power your appliance but when the sun goes down there will not be enough energy to power any appliance hence the need for battery.
3. The sun from the solar panels that goes through the Charge controller stores power into the battery and also charges the battery so that when the sun goes down, the energy already stored in the battery can be used to power your appliance.
4. Inverter acts as a converter that changes dc current to ac current ( like Nepa light) to power your appliance.
From the above explanation, you can see that only the Inverter that stands alone will not be able to power any appliance. However, there are some Inverters that stores power in them that can be used as stand alone.
Please note that i am not an expert on the solar field. I just gave you a layman's explanation. I hope Experts will give you detailed information.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by Balistic4: 2:47am On Dec 08, 2023
keeper303:

Please I also have a question. I have a solar setup of 2nos Luminous flooded batteries with 1600v 24v luminous inverter. The inverter is bad but I acquired another one but it is 1500v luminous. I wish to repair the bad 1600v 24v inverter and use it with 1 luminous battery. Will it work?
A 24v inverter will require 2nos 12v batteries in series to give you 24v. So you must use 2 batteries. However, you left out important information about the 1500v inverter which is the input voltage. Also some inverters have variable input voltage. Not sure yours qualifies but you need to check the labels.

I usually prefer 12 volts inverter systems because I can easily double the backup by adding another single battery in parallel connection
Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by keeper303: 3:15am On Dec 08, 2023
Balistic4:

A 24v inverter will require 2nos 12v batteries in series to give you 24v. So you must use 2 batteries. However, you left out important information about the 1500v inverter which is the input voltage. Also some inverters have variable input voltage. Not sure yours qualifies but you need to check the labels.

I usually prefer 12 volts inverter systems because I can easily double the backup by adding another single battery in parallel connection

What will happen if I use 1 battery for a 24v inverter? Will it work?
Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by Balistic4: 3:18am On Dec 08, 2023
keeper303:

What will happen if I use 1 battery for a 24v inverter? Will it work?
It will not work, unless it is a 24v single battery which is a bit rare
Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by Yampotatocarrot(m): 4:59am On Dec 08, 2023
keeper303:

Let me explain the little I know to you. Experts will explain better. This is how the solar system works:-
1. Solar panels collects energy from the sun.
2. Charge Controller regulates the energy that goes into the battery. Note that you can use the Charge controller to power your appliance but when the sun goes down there will not be enough energy to power any appliance hence the need for battery.
3. The sun from the solar panels that goes through the Charge controller stores power into the battery and also charges the battery so that when the sun goes down, the energy already stored in the battery can be used to power your appliance.
4. Inverter acts as a converter that changes dc current to ac current ( like Nepa light) to power your appliance.
From the above explanation, you can see that only the Inverter that stands alone will not be able to power any appliance. However, there are some Inverters that stores power in them that can be used as stand alone.
Please note that i am not an expert on the solar field. I just gave you a layman's explanation. I hope Experts will give you detailed information.

Thanks for this explanation... I'll combine this knowledge with that I'll get from others... I appreciate

1 Like

Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by Obnoxious2001(m): 6:13pm On Dec 08, 2023
keeper303:

no you have to use 2 12v batteries to achieve the 24v
Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by Obnoxious2001(m): 6:16pm On Dec 08, 2023
Yampotatocarrot:

Okay, thanks

you charge it using battery chargers via nepa/gen or you can adopt other means of charging such as wind etc
Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by keeper303: 9:39pm On Dec 08, 2023
Obnoxious2001:

Please what will happen if I use a 24v inverter with 1 luminous battery?

Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by keeper303: 9:40pm On Dec 08, 2023
Obnoxious2001:

Please what will happen if I use a 24v inverter with 1 12v luminous battery?

Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by Obnoxious2001(m): 6:49pm On Dec 09, 2023
[quote author=keeper303 post=127386799][/quote]
there will be no power at the output.
some inverters with display might on and display low battery...
different manufacturer different design....
Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by keeper303: 8:32pm On Dec 09, 2023
Obnoxious2001:

there will be no power at the output.
some inverters with display might on and display low battery...
different manufacturer different design....

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by freddie009(m): 10:18pm On Dec 15, 2023
Obnoxious2001:

Stocked in a shop no.

But you can place order and Recieved it in warri

How long would it last and what's the cost?
Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by Obnoxious2001(m): 2:15am On Dec 17, 2023
freddie009:

How long would it last and what's the cost?
It depends on your laptop wattage.

Lesser wattage longer duration
Budget is less than 100k
Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by freddie009(m): 6:51am On Dec 17, 2023
Obnoxious2001:

It depends on your laptop wattage.

Lesser wattage longer duration
Budget is less than 100k

Give me a figure, if you laptop wattage is this it will last for this number of hours. With that I can make an estimate.
Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by Obnoxious2001(m): 11:37am On Dec 17, 2023
freddie009:

Give me a figure, if you laptop wattage is this it will last for this number of hours. With that I can make an estimate.

On a 45w laptop, you have about 5hrs backup.
On 65w laptop you have about 3hrs backup.

The good thing about it is you can use it for other light appliances.
Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by Obnoxious2001(m): 2:46pm On Jan 02
Happy new year from this side...

It's another year to go again
Hopefully we all get it right this time..
Ahead ahead bring in your questions, suggestions, budgets etc let's put a smile on your face.

Last year, about 2 people from this thread where able to go solar (there might be more, but I am only able to remember 2).

Hopefully we might double the figure this year.
Shout out to Mordecai the OP of this thread.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by bereiweris(m): 8:26am On Jan 03
Good morning all and a glorious new year. please i would like to get a solar that can power 15bulbs, 3 standing fans , 1 Led TV, 1 laptop and charge atleast 4phones. i would like to go DIY, can someone please recommend the items, nos and brands to get. and if it is going to be possible on a budget of 300k. thank you
Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by Obnoxious2001(m): 10:17am On Jan 03
bereiweris:
Good morning all and a glorious new year. please i would like to get a solar that can power 15bulbs, 3 standing fans , 1 Led TV, 1 laptop and charge atleast 4phones. i would like to go DIY, can someone please recommend the items, nos and brands to get. and if it is going to be possible on a budget of 300k. thank you
15 bulbs of how many watts?
Standing fan of how many watts per fan
Led TV how many inches/watts (behind the TV it's rating is there)
Laptop watt (check your laptop adapter to get the rating)

Am not a magician, depending on how long you want to run this loads, your budget might not be feasible

1 Like

Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by dacool1(m): 10:42am On Jan 03
bereiweris:

NO matter how power efficient your appliances are, 300k ain't going to cut it.

Let's assume the bulbs are 5 watts each that's 75watts

3 standing fans @ 50watts each is 150watts

Led TV 50watts

Phone chargers @ 15 watts each is 60 watts

Laptop charger 90watts

Total + or - 450watts

Lets assume it will run for 5 hours at night. That's 450 x 5 = 2250 watts

You will need over 800k to achieve this. Anyone telling you otherwise is not being truthful

Take note the calculations up there are just based on assumptions. It mignt be less or more it depends on the real wattage of the appliances

3 Likes

Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by bereiweris(m): 12:31pm On Jan 03
Thank you for your reply would look at their ratings Nd revert.

Obnoxious2001:

15 bulbs of how many watts?
Standing fan of how many watts per fan
Led TV how many inches/watts (behind the TV it's rating is there)
Laptop watt (check your laptop adapter to get the rating)

Am not a magician, depending on how long you want to run this loads, your budget might not be feasible

Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by Obnoxious2001(m): 12:33pm On Jan 03
bereiweris:
Thank you for your reply would look at their ratings Nd revert.

No problem I will be expectant smiley
Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by bereiweris(m): 12:33pm On Jan 03
Maybe I can start by getting the items first and when all is complete I install. Thank you for your input

dacool1:

NO matter how power efficient your appliances are, 300k ain't going to cut it.

Let's assume the bulbs are 5 watts each that's 75watts

3 standing fans @ 50watts each is 150watts

Led TV 50watts

Phone chargers @ 15 watts each is 60 watts

Laptop charger 90watts

Total + or - 450watts

Lets assume it will run for 5 hours at night. That's 450 x 5 = 2250 watts

You will need over 800k to achieve this. Anyone telling you otherwise is not being truthful

Take note the calculations up there are just based on assumptions. It mignt be less or more it depends on the real wattage of the appliances
Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by bereiweris(m): 5:49pm On Jan 03
Please what is the difference between a solar inverter and a normal inverter?
Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by Obnoxious2001(m): 8:31am On Jan 04
bereiweris:
Please what is the difference between a solar inverter and a normal inverter?

An inverter is just the appliance that converters the battery voltage (DC) to electricity(AC) for the appliance use.

The term "solar inverter" implies/tells you that the inverter system charges with solar panels.

Though there are different classification of inverters
Standalone
Hybrid
Gridtie

1 Like

Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by Fremlin: 3:06pm On Jan 13
Good day guys

Can I get a DIY invested that can power 65w pc, charge phone and power and a single bulb for 150k?

1 Like

Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by ksmart027(m): 6:59pm On Jan 13
Fremlin:
Good day guys

Can I get a DIY invested that can power 65w pc, charge phone and power and a single bulb for 150k?
Contact tetralogyfallot, he might have something for you.

1 Like

Re: Solar Power For An Average Middle Class Household by tetralogyfallot(m): 7:39pm On Jan 13
Fremlin:
Good day guys

chat me on 08034694579, I've got a special diy package for u.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (23) (Reply)

We fix your faulty laptop at pocket-friendly prices in Lagos. / Laptop Chargers For Sale @ Reduced Price in Nigeria / New Dell Projectors For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.