Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,146 members, 7,821,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:37 PM

Oil Price Slashes, Adeyemi Laments Over Nigerian Economy, Calls For Revenue Div - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Oil Price Slashes, Adeyemi Laments Over Nigerian Economy, Calls For Revenue Div (142 Views)

CP Ayoku Visits 1 Div Nigerian Army, Air Force Base Kaduna / FIRS Solicits Lagos Support For Revenue Target / Morocco’s ECOWAS Ambition And The Specter Of The Nigerian Economy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Oil Price Slashes, Adeyemi Laments Over Nigerian Economy, Calls For Revenue Div by Hotnewsallert: 1:14pm On May 30, 2020
Oil Price Slashes, Adeyemi Laments Over Nigerian Economy, Calls For Revenue Diversification

The Senator representing Kogi West, Sen. Smart Adeyemi has lamented over crash in oil prices and the economic fallout from the coronavirus which has together pose what could be an existential threat for Africa’s largest economy and biggest crude producer.
Nigeria, a country of 200 million people, is slashing production faster than any other major oil economy following the precipitous plunge in global prices. Cargo ships full of millions of barrels of Nigerian crude have nowhere to go, with much of the world on lockdown.

Nigerian oil companies are desperately competing to fill the last few empty tankers still left at sea, while naira is still a classic petrocurrency whose fate remains intrinsically tied to global oil prices, at least without a seismic shift in economic structure. As the Covid-19 global pandemic brought the price of oil in the global market to the lowest ebbs, the Nigerian economy is at the near collapse and the stance by Nigeria’s key economic actors to defend the naira will likely be tested by deliberate and strategic economic diversification policies of the country.

"I blamed the dwindling economy on the leaders who did not do anything to diversify the economy when the oil price was still high, they were busy enjoying the money as it comes, buying luxury cars and building mansions in cities around the world without caring about the future. There was no construction of road or rail lines because the people in government then, squandered the resources leaving the country with infrastructural deficits. “I pity president Muhammadu Buhari, and his administration now that oil is now selling at $22 or $30 per barrel, When we were asking the government of the day at that time, to diversify the economy at the time oil was selling at $100 to $150, that party, squandered our resources,”

However without meansing words Corruption has been the single greatest obstacle preventing Nigeria from achieving its enormous potential. It drains billions of dollars a year from the country’s economy, stymies development, and weakens the social contract between the government and its people.

Going by the economic reality of the moment, the only way to recover the economy is diversifying the economy and possibly enforce property tax, those living in mansions should pay property tax to save the country’s economy, the time has come for those who drive in exotic cars, SUV cars to pay property tax to the government to help salvage the economy from total collapse.
Re: Oil Price Slashes, Adeyemi Laments Over Nigerian Economy, Calls For Revenue Div by keentola(m): 1:18pm On May 30, 2020
Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” – Bill Patterson
Do You Know hat you can get 5 books for as low as 200 naira?
Now That You Know, what is stopping You from contacting me for your Books?
I sell ALL kinds of Books. My number is in my Bio.

(1) (Reply)

What Lesson Have You Learn So Far During This Period? / Free Black Soap Training / Where Is Our Sense Of Responsibility By Omigie Oshor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.