Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,247 members, 7,822,274 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:18 AM

Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria (2094 Views)

Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? / I Need Tips On Raising Kids And Being Patient With Them. / 10 Countries You Should Avoid Raising Kids Or Starting A Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by sweetmelanin(f): 7:40pm On May 30, 2020
ABROAD

Pros
- Quality Education with access to top of the range facilities irrespective of the school your child attends.
- Free Tuition for Primary school, Secondary school and A-levels.
- Exposure to diversity of races and different cultures.
- Better prospects for future career and socio-economic advancement in developed countries due to being integrated in the system from childhood.
- Free healthcare for your kids and other benefits such as the child benefit scheme.

Cons
- Premature exposure to alternative lifestyles such as LGBTQ, choice of gender etc.. from a tender age.
- Your kids could miss out on thier heritage (learning morals and cultural values from home)
- They may also miss out on growing up around thier own kind and that feeling of belonging.

NIGERIA

Pros
- Better prospects for social development + that sense of belonging that comes with growing up around your own kind. Your kids can integrate and make friends with neighbours, cousins and school mates a lot easier.
- Discipline and morality instilled into children in schools and society at large.
- No premature exposure to alternative lifestyles such as LGBTQ etc..
- Strong sense of community "it takes a village to raise a child".
- Extended family: allows you to get more assistance with childcare and not have to do it all alone.

Cons
- You must pay school Fees (the better the school, the higher the fees).
- Non-standardised curriculum - making subjects non-transferable to education systems in other parts of the world.
- Poor quality of education, limited facilities available per student, lack of broadened range of subjects and learning opportunities.
- Minimal support for children with learning disabilities.

As a parent which system would you prefer for your child?

2 Likes

Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by Amanee(f): 7:47pm On May 30, 2020
Abroad of course

And I disagree with your second pro for Nigeria. We lack discipline and morality as a nation. Take that anywhere

7 Likes

Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by Nobody: 8:02pm On May 30, 2020
That wokeness gan gan is the major issue with abroad. Find another abroad wey no get wokeness.

On second thought, wokeness too is being passed through movies and twitter here in Nigeria. And those pros you listed for nigeria are for old NIGERIA, no communal whatever kan kan. No extended family gan sef

6 Likes

Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by flyingpig: 8:21pm On May 30, 2020
The second "con" for abroad is my only worry.

Otherwise, I would not have been thinking.
Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by Hathor5(f): 8:22pm On May 30, 2020
"Discipline and morality instilled into children in schools and society at large."

Would make you think that Nigerians grow up to be very disciplined and moral individuals, are they?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by Nobody: 8:31pm On May 30, 2020
I'd prefer abroad. Imagine my less than 10 year old kid already knows what he wants for him/herself and working towards it.
Nigeria had destroyed many destinies. A young lady with the dream to become a nurse is now a Baker, engineer don turn shoe maker grin
Assume Anthony Joshua is still in this country shocked
The 'man know man' way of life here is disheartening. A first class graduate with masters could end up with less than 30k per month teaching job.
If you are wealthy you can raise your child here, the connection you'd get for them would be top notch too.
Raising kids abroad and starting their career there gives them an edge over their counterparts here, take a look at nollywood and entertainment in general, start up companies and so on, you'd realise that it's easier for an American returnee or Canadian returnee with good career prospect to delve into these career path without much hassle, unlike their counterparts here that would have to attend many auditions and sleep their way through the screen cheesy
And we are not moral, moreover the future doesnt belong to the youths here, it belongs to our ancestors.

6 Likes

Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by Shinny1: 8:33pm On May 30, 2020
As a Sharp guy Kukuma allow them to finish primary and secondary school in Nigeria and get all these morals(which is essential in all society) and send them abroad for university education...by then they can easily make their choice of living

4 Likes

Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by ibkayee(f): 8:36pm On May 30, 2020
In Nigeria

Stronger sense of identity and low key alot more confident in their 'blackness'

3 Likes

Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by sweetmelanin(f): 9:24pm On May 30, 2020
Shinny1:
As a Sharp guy Kukuma allow them to finish primary and secondary school in Nigeria and get all these morals(which is essential in all society) and send them abroad for university education...by then they can easily make their choice of living

Best of both words I guess..

1 Like

Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by Nobody: 9:26pm On May 30, 2020
You see this life gan gan... what will be, will be.
I have stopped worrying and started living.
What you need to do is make sure you imbibe whatever values you want in a child in the first 13 years of their life.
Its called moulding.
If you lose those vital years, forget it... FOREVER.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by sweetmelanin(f): 9:29pm On May 30, 2020
rockstarB:
I'd prefer abroad. Imagine my less than 10 year old kid already knows what he wants for him/herself and working towards it.
Nigeria had destroyed many destinies. A young lady with the dream to become a nurse is now a Baker, engineer don turn shoe maker grin
Assume Anthony Joshua is still in this country shocked
The 'man know man' way of life here is disheartening. A first class graduate with masters could end up with less than 30k per month teaching job.
If you are wealthy you can raise your child here, the connection you'd get for them would be top notch too.
Raising kids abroad and starting their career there gives them an edge over their counterparts here, take a look at nollywood and entertainment in general, start up companies and so on, you'd realise that it's easier for an American returnee or Canadian returnee with good career prospect to delve into these career path without much hassle, unlike their counterparts here that would have to attend many auditions and sleep their way through the screen cheesy
And we are not moral, moreover the future doesnt belong to the youths here, it belongs to our ancestors.

Great points! Although what bothers me most about raising kids abroad is the exposure to strange lifestyles such as this new trend of kids "choosing thier own gender".. and the fact that parents have limited control over what the system teaches your kids.

I also wish my kids could experience that same feeling of normalcy I had when I grew up in Nigeria.. that is, existing without being aware of the colour of my skin.. that community feel etc..

3 Likes

Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by sweetmelanin(f): 9:31pm On May 30, 2020
ibkayee:
In Nigeria

Stronger sense of identity and low key alot more confident in their 'blackness '

Yup.. this is a priceless feeling.

1 Like

Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by Nobody: 9:39pm On May 30, 2020
I dey Come
Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by HoliMaree: 9:52pm On May 30, 2020
[/b]
sweetmelanin:
[b]ABROAD

Pros
- Quality Education with access to top of the range facilities irrespective of the school your child attends.
- Better prospects for future career and socio-economic advancement in developed countries due to being integrated in the system from childhood.
- Free healthcare for your kids and other benefits such as the child benefit scheme.

Cons
- Premature exposure to alternative lifestyles such as LGBTQ, choice of gender etc.. from a tender age.
- Your kids could miss out on thier heritage (learning morals and cultural values from home)
- They may also miss out on growing up around thier own kind and that feeling of belonging

Cons

- Non-standardised curriculum - making subjects non-transferable to education systems in other parts of the world.
- Poor quality of education, limited facilities available per student, lack of broadened range of subjects and learning opportunities.

Regarding the cons in Nigeria, you're wrong. Its obvious that you don't know what you're saying

1 Like

Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by sweetmelanin(f): 10:18pm On May 30, 2020
HoliMaree:
[b][/b]

Regarding the cons in Nigeria, you're wrong. Its obvious that you don't know what you're saying

Educate me then.. which of my points are wrong?
Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by MMotimo: 2:21am On May 31, 2020
Strange con re morality

Irrespective of where your kids are raised, it's your responsibility, your job, to instill good morals. It's not society's. The irony is Nigerian parents with no morals are quick to blame western society when their kids are messed up. If you choose to have kids, it should be because you aim to enrich their lives and be responsible for providing good guidance from an early age.

Exposure to alternative lifestyles -
being a runs girl or fraudster , combining juju with church/mosque are also alternative lifestyles, not just
LGBTQ but living in Naija, those lifestyles are seen as normal and even glorified. A lot of Nigerians do
the same abroad so what is alternative is a matter of perception.

Free health care for kids is not a universal provision abroad. Some countries have it, some don't.

Not everyone qualifies for child benefits, depends on income so again, not universal.

Perhaps the topic should specify which country is being compared with Naija instead of just saying "abroad."

As for curriculum being a con when moving abroad, no issue with transferability. The core subjects (maths, science and English)
are universal at home and abroad. 1+1 =2 anywhere in the world. Differences in social studies are to be expected due to each country's
history and that's all easily learnt when you move abroad. Naija schools just like breaking social studies into multiple subjects.

As for a feeling of not belonging, I'm sure a lot of people can relate to that but I'm sure it's also tied to the generation their parents fall into. For the people I can speak for, own kids, children of family and friends of my generation - what the kids (not even all of them) experience is a curiosity for their parents' homeland which is very different from
a feeling of not belonging. These kids were either born and raised abroad or moved abroad at a very early age often before the age of 5 so this is all they've known. They are very self aware and confident that they are American, Australian, British, Canadian, etc no ambiguity about that. They just know their parents are from Nigeria and therefore Nigerian-American, German-Nigerian, etc.

For the kids I described above (there are different other groups like children of Taliban parents, kids that were transplanted abroad later in life, etc), their loyalty is first to their particular Oyinbo land country and they know they fully belong. Often, it is the parents that are confused because their kids will straight up tell them "I am American, you are the one from Nigeria." No insult, just facts.

sweetmelanin:
ABROAD

Pros

Cons
- They may also miss out on growing up around thier own kind and that feeling of belonging.

NIGERIA

Pros
- Better prospects for social development + that sense of belonging that comes with growing up around your own kind. Your kids can integrate and make friends with neighbours, cousins and school mates a lot easier.
- Discipline and morality instilled into children in schools and society at large.
- No premature exposure to alternative lifestyles such as LGBTQ etc..
- Strong sense of community "it takes a village to raise a child".
- Extended family: allows you to get more assistance with childcare and not have to do it all alone.

Cons

1 Like

Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by HoliMaree: 2:28am On May 31, 2020
sweetmelanin:

Educate me then.. which of my points are wrong?

The better the school, the higher the fees? who told you this? many schools with moderate fees are of higher quality than those who pay millions per term.

Poor quality of education? but our medical graduates are accepted to work abroad plus our high skilled grads in STEM and related courses.

I agree a lot needs to be done regarding education for disabled especially in states outside Lagos
Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by sweetmelanin(f): 4:32am On May 31, 2020
MMotimo:
Strange con re morality

Irrespective of where your kids are raised, it's your responsibility, your job, to instill good morals. It's not society's. The irony is Nigerian parents with no morals are quick to blame western society when their kids are messed up. If you choose to have kids, it should be because you aim to enrich their lives and be responsible for providing good guidance from an early age.

Exposure to alternative lifestyles -
being a runs girl or fraudster , combining juju with church/mosque are also alternative lifestyles, not just
LGBTQ but living in Naija, those lifestyles are seen as normal and even glorified. A lot of Nigerians do
the same abroad so what is alternative is a matter of perception.

Free health care for kids is not a universal provision abroad. Some countries have it, some don't.

Not everyone qualifies for child benefits, depends on income so again, not universal.

Perhaps the topic should specify which country is being compared with Naija instead of just saying "abroad."

As for curriculum being a con when moving abroad, no issue with transferability. The core subjects (maths, science and English)
are universal at home and abroad. 1+1 =2 anywhere in the world. Differences in social studies are to be expected due to each country's
history and that's all easily learnt when you move abroad. Naija schools just like breaking social studies into multiple subjects.

As for a feeling of not belonging, I'm sure a lot of people can relate to that but I'm sure it's also tied to the generation their parents fall into. For the people I can speak for, own kids, children of family and friends of my generation - what the kids (not even all of them) experience is a curiosity for their parents' homeland which is very different from
a feeling of not belonging. These kids were either born and raised abroad or moved abroad at a very early age often before the age of 5 so this is all they've known. They are very self aware and confident that they are American, Australian, British, Canadian, etc no ambiguity about that. They just know their parents are from Nigeria and therefore Nigerian-American, German-Nigerian, etc.

For the kids I described above (there are different other groups like children of Taliban parents, kids that were transplanted abroad later in life, etc), their loyalty is first to their particular Oyinbo land country and they know they fully belong. Often, it is the parents that are confused because their kids will straight up tell them "I am American, you are the one from Nigeria." No insult, just facts.

I agree with your first two points.

However, regarding healthcare, obviously I can't create a topic saying "Raising your kids in UK, Canada, EU countries or Australia vs Nigeria" so obviously it's much more reasonable to group these countries all under "abroad" which is where majority of Nigerians tend to migrate to! The countries I have listed all offer free healthcare for children under a certain age... Of course with America being an exception - we all know that healthcare is insurance based over there...

As for child benefits, yes it is very much dependent on income ... those who earn over the threshold are often not eligible to apply (and these lot usually earn enough that they do not even need child benefits). I must also add that the number of households that do not receive child benefits are definitely in the minority compared to those that do.. here in the UK, if each parent earns over £50k per annum, they are not eligible but let's say one earns £48k and the other £45k they would still be eligible despite the total combined income of the home being £93k a year (a very comfortable sum if you ask me)
.. this is why I have mentioned child benefit as a pro... it is a scheme that is available to majority of the population in most countries abroad ...unlike in Nigeria where there is no governmental benefit system whatsoever; Not for the unemployed, nor for the disabled and definitely not for households with children.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by sweetmelanin(f): 4:42am On May 31, 2020
HoliMaree:

The better the school, the higher the fees? who told you this? many schools with moderate fees are of higher quality than those who pay millions per term.

Poor quality of education? but our medical graduates are accepted to work abroad plus our high skilled grads in STEM and related courses.

I agree a lot needs to be done regarding education for disabled especially in states outside Lagos

You are completely missing the point regarding school fees - my main emphasis is that in Nigeria, you must pay fees throughout your child's education.. even "public schools" collect a small fee.

Medical doctors from Nigeria and other developing nations are made to sit multiple exams just to prove that they meet the criteria/ standards of those countries they are trying to migrate to.. many of whom will fail the exams..

..for those trying to practice in the UK, they also have to pass ILETS.. now what does that say to you if our medical doctors are made to write exams to prove thier proficiency in English? lipsrsealed

6 Likes

Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by ecolime(m): 8:30am On May 31, 2020
Following,

This has been on my mind for months. Really considering relocating abroad to give the kids a better future in a decent environment. My challenge is wifey is not in support and has always been against migration even before we got married. I've tried to convince her all to no avail.

I'm really fed up of Naija madness. We are doing great and earn exceeding well but we all know there is no certainty in this country. One bad policy and all you've laboured for can go down the drain in months or even days. A good example is the erosion of peoples wealth due to the continuous naira devaluation. Also, no social safety net too whatsoever.

I'm in a fix

1 Like

Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by Nobody: 1:46pm On May 31, 2020
Abroad for me. I would want my children to grow in a very sane environment.

There a millions of people in LGBT communities who do not subscribe to their way of life. Is up to u as the parents to instill value in ur child.

There is no morality in the present Nigeria. The rate of immorality is high world over.

That community thing is long dead.

Some extented family members these days will rather see u dead than help u.

1 Like

Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by HoliMaree: 2:43pm On May 31, 2020
sweetmelanin:

You are completely missing the point regarding school fees - my main emphasis is that in Nigeria, you must pay fees throughout your child's education.. even "public schools" collect a small fee.

Medical doctors from Nigeria and other developing nations are made to sit multiple exams just to prove that they meet the criteria/ standards of those countries they are trying to migrate to.. many of whom will fail the exams..

..for those trying to practice in the UK, they also have to pass ILETS.. now what does that say to you if our medical doctors are made to write exams to prove thier proficiency in English? lipsrsealed

1) Public schools don't take school fees

2) Most of our medical doctors and nurses pass those multiple examinations, also our STEM graduates have been accepted in Canada and Australia amongst others developed countries, further more Canada and Australia accept Nigerian graduates through their PR programmes and our certs are scored high by WES

3) IELTS exams is based on the discretion of UK and other countries that chose to use it to make money, its not a real test of English, even British citizens fail it but Nigerians have a high success rate in TOEFL and IELTS

1 Like

Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by Hathor5(f): 5:01pm On May 31, 2020
sweetmelanin:

Great points! Although what bothers me most about raising kids abroad is the exposure to strange lifestyles such as this new trend of kids "choosing thier own gender".. and the fact that parents have limited control over what the system teaches your kids.

I also wish my kids could experience that same feeling of normalcy I had when I grew up in Nigeria.. that is, existing without being aware of the colour of my skin.. that community feel etc..

The likelihood of you hitting the jackpot is higher than your kid wanting to choose their own gender abroad.

1 Like

Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by Nobody: 3:22am On Jun 01, 2020

1 Like

Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by Nobody: 3:56am On Jun 01, 2020
sweetmelanin:

I agree with your first two points.

However, regarding healthcare, obviously I can't create a topic saying "Raising your kids in UK, Canada, EU countries or Australia vs Nigeria" so obviously it's much more reasonable to group these countries all under "abroad" which is where majority of Nigerians tend to migrate to! The countries I have listed all offer free healthcare for children under a certain age... Of course with America being an exception - we all know that healthcare is insurance based over there...

As for child benefits, yes it is very much dependent on income ... those who earn over the threshold are often not eligible to apply (and these lot usually earn enough that they do not even need child benefits). I must also add that the number of households that do not receive child benefits are definitely in the minority compared to those that do.. here in the UK, if each parent earns over £50k per annum, they are not eligible but let's say one earns £48k and the other £45k they would still be eligible despite the total combined income of the home being £93k a year (a very comfortable sum if you ask me)
.. this is why I have mentioned child benefit as a pro... it is a scheme that is available to majority of the population in most countries abroad ...unlike in Nigeria where there is no governmental benefit system whatsoever; Not for the unemployed, nor for the disabled and definitely not for households with children.
Healthcare in Canada is free for people of all ages.
Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by ednut1(m): 5:30am On Jun 01, 2020
What moral I went to boarding house in jss1 and saw alot of homosexuality, a senior even begged to drill me grin. You say we have morals but people/parents pay for special centers, jamb runs, admission runs etc. I think its best to allow your child do one year in Nigeria so he can get to see the privileges he has and therefore focus in life. Abroad it is easy to go off rail. And once that happens redemption is almost impossible as no one will hire you with past criminal records

3 Likes

Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by Nobody: 10:28am On Jun 01, 2020
HoliMaree:

1) Public schools don't take school fees

2) Most of our medical doctors and nurses pass those multiple examinations, also our STEM graduates have been accepted in Canada and Australia amongst others developed countries, further more Canada and Australia accept Nigerian graduates through their PR programmes and our certs are scored high by WES

3) IELTS exams is based on the discretion of UK and other countries that chose to use it to make money, its not a real test of English, even British citizens fail it but Nigerians have a high success rate in TOEFL and IELTS
Public schools don't take TUITION FEES, but they take other charges.
Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by Mariangeles(f): 10:38am On Jun 01, 2020
ibkayee:
In Nigeria

Stronger sense of identity and low key alot more confident in their 'blackness'

Many at home will never know and appreciate the value of that.
It is priceless!

2 Likes

Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by Romangalactic(m): 11:21am On Jun 01, 2020
Anywhere you raise your kids, as long as you give them a good life, good education,and good upbringing, they go dey alright. These comparing is shallow because every country on earth has children in dem doing very well, even Lesotho.

3 Likes

Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by bukatyne(f): 11:58am On Jun 01, 2020
Amanee:
Abroad of course

And I disagree with your second pro for Nigeria. We lack discipline and morality as a nation. Take that anywhere

@bold:

100% on point.

Each place just has their own madness.

1 Like

Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by flyingpig: 12:26pm On Jun 01, 2020
Alero3Arubi:
You see this life gan gan... what will be, will be.
I have stopped worrying and started living.
What you need to do is make sure you imbibe whatever values you want in a child in the first 13 years of their life.
Its called moulding.
If you lose those vital years, forget it... FOREVER.

True

All you have said

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Raising Kids Abroad Vs Nigeria by Boss13: 12:34pm On Jun 01, 2020
ecolime:
Following,

This has been on my mind for months. Really considering relocating abroad to give the kids a better future in a decent environment. My challenge is wifey is not in support and has always been against migration even before we got married. I've tried to convince her all to no avail.

I'm really fed up of Naija madness. We are doing great and earn exceeding well but we all know there is no certainty in this country. One bad policy and all you've laboured for can go down the drain in months or even days. A good example is the erosion of peoples wealth due to the continuous naira devaluation. Also, no social safety net too whatsoever.

I'm in a fix

If you are doing good and earning well, there is no need to relocate. Your children can continue their post-secondary education abroad just like what many Chinese upper and middle class do. It is really important for kids to have that cultural awareness before they are expose to the world. It increases and improves their confidence.

(1) (Reply)

Deleted / Could DATING Be A Time For Serious Self Examination? / Is This Appropriate Please Need Some Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.