|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,887,512 members, 6,940,199 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 June 2022 at 02:27 PM
Catholic Church Believes In Separation From Bed, Not Divorce - Father Oluoma / Catholic Church Rejects Lockdown Ease For Easter Celebrations In Rivers State / 2 Nuns Became Pregnant Working In Africa, Catholic Church Investigates (2) (3) (4)
|Happy 1,987th Birthday Catholic Church by martooski(m): 9:11am On May 31, 2020|
HAPPY 1,987th BIRTHDAY CATHOLIC CHURCH. THE ONLY CHURCH THAT HAS APOSTOLIC SUCCESSION AND FOUNDED BY CHRIST
⚫️The Church founded by Christ was called CATHOLIC from early church TRADITION like,
The early Church father who wrote several writings even before Constantine was born were already mentioning the "Catholic Church".
"When finally he concluded his prayer, after remembering all who had at any time come his way – small folk and great folk, distinguished and undistinguished, and the whole CATHOLIC CHURCH throughout the world – the time for departure came. (The Martyrdom of Polycarp 8 [A.D. 110]).
The CATHOLIC CHURCH possesses one and the same faith throughout the whole world, as we have already said (Against Heresies 1:10 [A.D. 189]).
"For it is evident that those men lived not so long ago – in the reign of Antoninus for the most part – and that they at first were believers in the doctrine of the CATHOLIC CHURCH, in the church of Rome under the episcopate of the blessed Eleutherus, until on account of their ever restless curiosity, with which they even infected the brethren, they were more than once expelled." (The Prescription Against Heretics 22, 30[A.D.200])
" He who does not hold this unity, does not hold the law of God, does not hold the faith of the Father and the Son, does not hold life and salvation (On the Unity of the Catholic Church 6 [A.D. 251]).
" While the CHURCH which is CATHOLIC and one, is not cut nor divided, but is indeed connected and bound together by the cement of priests who cohere with one another (Letters 66 [A.D. 253]).
⚫️The Church founded by Christ was Called CATHOLIC from history,
1. The New Book of Knowledge, Page 287:
“Roman Catholic Church –the history of the Roman Catholic Church begun in an upper room in Jerusalem almost 2,000 years ago. About 120 persons were gathered there. They were followers of Jesus Christ, and they were awaiting the coming of Holy Spirit he had promised to send them from heaven. The day on which the Holy Spirit came down is considered the birthday of the Church. The Church may be described as the society that Jesus founded, which is vitalized by the Spirit of God and organized to a structure which he establish. The history of Roman Catholic Church traces the destinies of that society from its beginning until now."
2. The World Almanac and Book of Facts <Edition 2009> Page 688:
“Roman Catholics – founded by Jesus Christ who named St. Peter the 1stvicar, developed in early Christian proselytizing, especially after the conversion of imperial Rome in the 4thcentury."
3. The Old World and America, Page 100:
“More than 1900 years ago, Jesus Christ Son of God, came upon earth to save mankind. After His atoning death on the cross He rose glorious and immortal. Before leaving this world to go to the Father, Our Lord founded the Catholic Church and gave to that Church the command to teach all nations.”
4. International Encyclopedia, Volume 20, Page 520:
“Roman Catholic Church - There are two equally valid definition of the Catholic Church, comparable to the twofold nature of Jesus Christ, its founder, who was both human and divine."
5. Young Students Encyclopedia, Volume 17, Page 261:
“Roman Catholicism - the largest of the Christian denomination is the Roman Catholic Church. As an institution it has existed since the 1st century AD. For the first 1,000 years all christians belongs to Catholic Church”
6. Compton’s Encyclopedia & Fact-Index, Volume 20, Page 2024:
“Roman Catholic Church - For the first thousand years after the death of Jesus Christ, all Christians were members of one religion – Christianity. There were no separate sects, or branches, of Christianity as there are today. The word “catholic” means “universal,” and for those first thousand years, all Christians were members of the Catholic Church."
7. Grollier Encyclopedia, Volume V, page 106:
“Catholic Church - (Gr. Katholikos, universal, general). Term generally applied to the Divine society founded by Jesus Christ, and endowed by the outpouring of the Holy Ghost on the day of Pentecost".
and finally the bible Says this
But if he doesn't listen, take one or two more with you, that at the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
We have more than three evidences from tradition and history and it was supported by the Bible so we can ESTABLISH THE FACT
Protestant churches just pop up during reformation and after. That is why they only support the total apostasy teaching just to pretend that their church was the church emerged after the persecution of christian(catholic).
Many of them claiming as the other sheep mentioned in John10;16 but sorry to tell was referring to Gentiles who were converted to Catholic christians. They also attacking Catholics that the Catholic Church founded by Constantine without looking the history. Some of the history was twisted by their pastors.
No doubt the Catholic church founded by Christ
|Re: Happy 1,987th Birthday Catholic Church by donors1: 9:29am On May 31, 2020|
|Re: Happy 1,987th Birthday Catholic Church by labelle123(f): 10:55am On May 31, 2020|
Happy birthday to the universal Church
|Re: Happy 1,987th Birthday Catholic Church by Jokerman(m): 10:57am On May 31, 2020|
Jesus did not establish the Catholic Church...
Lol... How can Catholic church be almost 2000 years old now... Lol
|Re: Happy 1,987th Birthday Catholic Church by martooski(m): 11:38am On May 31, 2020|
You can as well write your own history.
Since you Know so much.
It's a free world
|Re: Happy 1,987th Birthday Catholic Church by martooski(m): 11:49am On May 31, 2020|
FACTS ABOUT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
Today is the 1987th birthday of the Catholic Church
1. Catholicism has been a moving force in the development of Western culture. It continues to be influential in religious issues, social institutions, art, education, medicine, science, music, philosophy, literature, and politics.
2. The Catholic Church’s Vatican has diplomatic relations with almost every country in the world.
3. Pope John Paul II traveled to more than 129 different countries, logging more than 750,000 frequent flyer miles, which is about three times the distance to the moon.
4. The word “Catholic” was first used by Ignatius of Antioch around the year A.D. 110. It is from the Greek word katholikos, which means “toward the whole.” Ignatius was suggesting that the Church is a gift offered by Christ to all people.
5. The Catholic Church is the largest single Church in Christianity.
6. The “Devil’s Advocate” or Advocate Diaboli, is a real position within the Catholic Church.
7. Between John Paul II’s election to the papacy in 1978 and his death in 2004, more than 17 million people attended his weekly audiences in Rome.
8. The oldest institution in the Western world is the Catholic Church. It traces its history back almost 2,000 years.
9. There are more than 1 billion Catholics in the world, in all five continents. They are particularly concentrated in southern Europe, the U.S., the Philippines, and the countries of Central and South America. What binds them together is faith in Jesus Christ and obedience to the papacy.
10. Catholics believe that the pope, who is based in Rome, is the successor to Saint Peter, which Christ appointed as the first head of His church.
11. For almost 1,000 years, Catholicism was Christianity. But over time, schisms have disrupted the unity, including a schism in A.D. 144 with Marcionism, a schism in 318 A.D. with Arianism, a divide in 1054 A.D. with the East-West Schism, and yet another divide in 1517 during the Protestant Reformation.
12. The pope does not live in Italy; he lives in Vatican City, which is a county within Italy.
13. Women are not allowed to become Roman Catholic priests.
14. The Catholic Church is the body of churches that are in full communion with the Bishop of Rome, which includes the Roman Catholic Church and 22 Eastern Catholic Churches.
15. Brazil has more Catholics than any other country with close to 127 million, or 11.7% of the world’s Catholic population. It is followed by Mexico (96 million), the Philippines (76 million), the U.S. (75 million), Italy, (49 million), Columbia (38 million), France (38 million), Poland (35 million), Spain (35 million), and the Democratic Republic of Congo (31 million). These 10 countries account for 55.6% of the Catholic population globally.
16. Over the past 100 years, the number of Catholics around the world as tripled from 291 million in 1910 to 1.1 billion in 2010. Percentage wise, the population has remained relatively stable, constituting 17% of the world population in 1910 and 16% in 2010.
17. In 1910, 65% of Europe was Catholic. In 2010, only 24% was. While Catholics in Europe have declined, there has been rapid growth in the Catholic population in the Sub-Saharan African and Asia-Pacific regions.
18. During the High and Late Middle Ages, the Latin Roman Catholic Church sanctioned military campaigns called the Crusades. The impact of the Crusades was profound, and judgment ranged from praise to condemnation.
19. The first printed Bible was printed under the supervision of the Catholic Church. It was printed by the Catholic inventor of the printing press: Johannes Gutenberg.
20. The magical term “hocus pocus” comes from the most sacred moment in Catholic ritual: the consecration of the bread as the body of Christ by the priest speaking the words “This is my body,” which in Latin is Hoc est enim corpus meum.
21. It was the Catholic Church that added modern-day chapters and numbered verses to the Bible.
22. The first black person to be documented as a saint in the Roman Catholic Church was known as Saint Maurice (a.k.a. St. Mauritius or St. Moritz). He was a 3rd-century Roman soldier born in Egypt who was martyred when he refused to massacre Christians for the Roman Empire.
24. While there is no definitive “head count,” based on history, the Roman martyrology, and Orthodox sources, scholars estimate that there are over 10,000 saints and beati (“blesses ones”).
24. The Catholic tradition of honoring saints actually came from the Jews who had a long-standing tradition of honoring prophets and holy people with shrines.
25. Scholars note that Catholicism spread largely because of the work of Roman road-builders.
26. While the exact date of the beginning of the Roman Catholic Church is indeterminable, the Church can trace its origin to Jesus of Nazareth during the period of Roman occupation in early A.D. 33
27. The Big-Bang theory was proposed by a Catholic priest, Monsignor Georges Lemaitre.
28. The Vatican is the smallest sovereign state in the world.
29. Though Germanic tribes destroyed most of Roman civilization, the Catholic Church preserved much classical learning, especially in the monasteries during the Middle Ages.
30. The Catholic Church has been a plot device in several horror movies, particularly The Exorcist. The Church actually participated with the production. The technical advisor was Rev. William O’Malley, a Jesuit priest and teacher.
31. The Catholic Church spends more money than Apple brings in. Expenditures by the Catholic Church, largely on charity, exceeded $170 billion in 2012, according to The Economist magazine. In that same year, Apple took in $157 billion in revenue. It is believed that the Catholic Church is the largest provider of charity and Healthcare.
32. The Pope is protected by the Swiss Papal Guard. Wearing uniforms designed by Michelangelo and commonly armed with halberds, they are capable of using heavier weapons if needed. Each member is Catholic, male, and Swiss, and must complete military training in Switzerland. They must demonstrate good conduct and be at least five-foot-eight in height. In extreme circumstances, they are expected to guard the Holy Father with their lives. The Swiss Papal Guard is the oldest active military unit in continual existence since 1506.
From online sources
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2022 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117