Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:31 AM

SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History - Science/Technology (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History (31823 Views)

Four Astronauts Make History With Spacex Launch / NASA Astronauts Safely Splash Down As SpaceX Crew Dragon Returns From Space / As It Happened: Nasa Astronauts Make History With Spacex Launch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by crackkland: 3:43pm On May 31, 2020
Elon Musk has very big dreams, and he has the resources to bring them to reality. cool

2 Likes

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by WaleRock: 3:43pm On May 31, 2020
MasterRahl:
angry

SpaceX in collaboration with NASA and the United States have sent a 2-man crew to the International Space Station.

Here's my take:

1. The United States has recorded a ground-breaking achievement in spite of the COVID-19 pandemic. US recorded one of the highest deaths but this did not deter them from reaching this height.

2. Nigerian politicians have messed up our country. That's a fact! I can't emphasize more on this.

3. Nigerian youths will crowd this forum to bash and castigate the government for not making us great. 50-60% of youths blame the government for joblessness but the same youths refuse to study relevant courses in the tertiary institution that will earn them a chance to Excel in life or contribute to the advancement of the nation. The scientists at NASA are engineers, physicists, mathematicians, economist's, chemists, aerospace scientists, etc. Even Elon Musk himself is a renowned physicist.

NIGERIAN youths will earn degrees in religious and cultural studies, social studies, theatre arts, pre-primary education, etc. and still come to Nairaland to blame the government.

My argument is not one-sided in case anyone wants to bash me. I admit that we have a silly government, but the citizens, especially youths are equally silly.

Some folks here claim that the US is a sane clime and wish to fly there at the slightest opportunity. Days ago, the same folks bashed the sane clime for the extrajudicial killing of Floyd.

The United States and other advanced nations welcome people who have something to offer. For now, a great percentage of Naija youths really have nothing to offer.

Let's try to build ourselves.

We Africans must get our priorities right. The world has since left us in one spot.
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Ejiod(m): 3:44pm On May 31, 2020
Stale news
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Nairalandmonika: 3:48pm On May 31, 2020
Dobodobo04:
What’s the big deal in this launch? Russia has been providing shuttle to the international space station for over a decade, and without making a meal out of it and for much cheaper. Let’s pls put this event in perspective and not overreact.
Well for the first time in 9 yrs, America has been depending on Russia to go to space, at least now they are depending on spacex and America company so it's a big deal for them, secondly these rocket booster are reusable, the rocket launch the shuttle to space and return back to it's original position, that's not an easy thing. It's actually cheaper than that of Russia.

3 Likes

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by gammarays(m): 3:55pm On May 31, 2020
HeavenShield:
Just Listen and pay attention carefully!

UNTIL WE ALL DECIDE AS A NATION, AS A PEOPLE TO VOTE IN THE RIGHT AND CREDIBLE PEOPLE IRRESPECTIVE OF THEIR TRIBE(WHERE THEY COME FROM), REGION, POLITICAL PARTY, SENTIMENTS, RELIGION OR WHATEVER ETC. WE MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO GO FORWARD AS A COUNTRY.

OUR MAJOR UNDOING AND TROUBLE START AND ENDS WITH THE POLL, THE ELECTIONS!

UNTIL YOU LOOK AT YOUR FATHER AND TELL HIM RESPECTFULLY, SIR, YOU CANNOT LEAD OUR NATION TO PROGRESS..WE ARE NOT READY FOR PROGRESS.

IF YOU LOOK BACK, TAKE STOCK AT THE RESOURCES AND WEALTH THIS COUNTRY HAVE PRODUCED OVER THE YEARS PLUS THE BORROWED FUNDS AND YOU COMPARE LIKE FOR LIKE WITH OUR PROGRESS LEVEL, YOU WILL CRY AND WEEP FOR NIGERIA.

WE ARE MOCKED BY SANE COUNTRIES ALL OVER THE WORLD BECAUSE OF ONE CLASS OF PEOPLE - OUR POLITICIANS.

WE MUST DECIDE THAT NEVER AGAIN SHOULD WE ALLOW VULTURES, SERPENTS AND SCORPIONS LEAD OUR NATION AND WE DECIDE THAT WE OURSELVES WILL NOT BE VULTURES, SERPENTS AND SCORPIONS FOR THE SAKE OF OUR NATION.

IT IS POSSIBLE AND IT BEGINS WITH A DECISION TODAY.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA. sad

Are our politicians different set of beings that fell from the sky?
the difference between our politicians and average citizens is just opportunity.
Change the citizens and you'll get good politicians.
An orange seed must grow to an orange tree with orange fruits.

1 Like

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by MiddleDimension: 4:07pm On May 31, 2020
Patriot9:
is it not funny? A country like america who can build machines as super as SR-71 and F-35 can be relying on Russian rockets engine
they are not the best in all things.
the Russians are actually the best when it comes to space exploration. the best and the most outstanding the US achieved in space exploration is the moon landing. i would put the Chinese and the Europeans ahead of them today
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by MiddleDimension: 4:09pm On May 31, 2020
AhoadaRivers:
Idiotic fo0ls will tell you 'nigeria will be great again'. grin
Actually, among all African countries, Nigeria has the most robust activities launching anything into space. with 5 satellites in total.
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Farki: 4:26pm On May 31, 2020
MasterRahl:
I agree with you Sir. I've actually learnt a lot from the history you've outlined here. I didn't even know that the primary aim for spacecraft research was for military purposes. I raised my points based on the consistent blame on the government without the youths admitting that they also have a role to play.

We all have a role to play, youths are thinking about building these things as well but because we aren't sure of it working we go for safer ways instead.

Eventually we will get there.

1 Like

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Mawex(m): 4:35pm On May 31, 2020
I see some people thinking that we'll be America someday, it makes me laugh seeing this kind comparison, Nigeria wey still the number of school dropouts and illiterate people (including the almajiris) makes up 70% of the population, where the 30% educated ones among them 10% are less educated and are the politicians including the other people with the government appointments which all of them have only aa single dream (that's to steal and enrich themselves) while other 10 percent are people with vision and because of they don't have connections they work in order private institutions, now the other 10% please don't ask me where they work. my analysis isn't correct but it'll paint the picture for you.

Nobody have time for research in Nigeria that's why they tell you they pay millions of dollars just for a logo designs that almost on every thread you'll see more than 10 people advertising their graphic design hustle.

Imagine person wey ruled and helped largely in killing the country in the 19s na the same person wey dey rule am now and the painful part na those uneducated almajiris make am win second term.

1 Like

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by pacespot(m): 4:35pm On May 31, 2020
But, are there some people working and living in the ISS international space station, just curious, coz that's what they make us to believe in movies?
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Scholes007(m): 4:36pm On May 31, 2020
MiddleDimension:
they are not the best in all things.
the Russians are actually the best when it comes to space exploration. the best and the most outstanding the US achieved in space exploration is the moon landing. i would put the Chinese and the Europeans ahead of them today
In what aspect are they better?
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by oluspicy: 4:36pm On May 31, 2020
This is a great achievement for America.

Please has anyone found our own spaceship that was built by China and lost in space during testing? grin
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Mawex(m): 4:45pm On May 31, 2020
AhoadaRivers:
Idiotic fo0ls will tell you 'nigeria will be great again'. grin

Those are fools are the one applying for science edu in Uni and later do change of course to guidance & counseling department, don't mind them they've nothing to offer in the country if only we're a sane country, because someone with pass degree him only option na to go for politics and he'll make it there, show me a country where this injustice happens apart from our beloved NAIJA.

*I'm not downgrading guidance & counseling, in fact I have respect for them, but I'm just trying to make a point, hope u see my point and kindly leave me in peace*

Last time I heard say our presido no get WAEC certificate, later I come hear say WAEC produced his certificate, later I come hear say the year wey him write his WAEC them neva start WAEC that year, meanwhile his deputy na SAN.
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by annyz: 4:51pm On May 31, 2020
kolajoo:
Nasa and SpaceX made history by returning US astronauts from US soil to low-Earth orbit for the first time in nine years. It also marked the beginning of "taxi" rides to the space station, where commercial spaceflight enters a new phase. Astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley are now on their way to the International Space Station, It's the first time since the retirement of the shuttles nine years ago that an American crew has made the journey from US territory.

Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken are not only trialling a new capsule system, they are also initiating a new business model for Nasa.

The agency will no longer own the vehicles it uses but merely purchase the "taxi" service offered by SpaceX.

It's hoped companies other than tech billionaire Elon Musk's SpaceX outfit will come in to expand the market. The aerospace giant Boeing already has a contract with Nasa to do so.

Mr Musk himself said he was overcome with emotion watching his hardware take the astronauts to orbit.

"I think this is something that should get people right in the heart, of anyone that has the spirit of exploration. And the US is the distillation of the spirit of exploration," he told reporters.

The new capability the CEO is offering will end the reliance of Nasa on Russian rockets and capsules to get its people to the International Space Station (ISS).

It was a point picked up on by President Donald Trump, who came to Florida to watch the launch.

"Past leaders put the US at the mercy of foreign nations to send our astronauts into orbit. Not anymore," he said. "Today we once again proudly launched American astronauts on American rockets - the best in the world - from right here on American soil."

Hurley's and Behnken's Dragon ship left Earth atop its Falcon-9 rocket precisely on time - at 15:22 EDT (19:22 GMT / 20:22 BST).

Meteorologists had forecast only a 50:50 chance of favourable conditions around Florida's Kennedy Space Center at lift-off, but, as luck would have it, the weather window stayed open and the SpaceX controllers grabbed their opportunity.

The Falcon soared off the spaceport's famous 39A pad to head northeast out over the Atlantic. After two-and-a-half minutes, the lower-stage of the vehicle had separated to return to a drone ship at sea. And after a further six minutes, the crew were safely inserted into orbit.

Hurley and Behnken are set to arrive at the ISS on Sunday.

They'll use some of the intervening hours to test equipment and procedures in their capsule, including doing some manual flying.

Although the Dragon capsule is a fully automated vehicle capable of finding its own way to the ISS, the crew needs to prepare for all eventualities and that means knowing exactly how the ship will behave in their hands.

Uniquely, the Dragon has no control stick; all flight commands must be entered via a touchscreen panel.

One of their first tasks in orbit was simply to name their ship - in the tradition of past US spacefarers, all the way back to the Mercury programme. Radioing down to Earth, they announced it would be called Endeavour.

Doug Hurley said: "We chose Endeavour for a few reasons: One, because of this incredible endeavour that Nasa, SpaceX and the US have been on since the end of the shuttle programme back in 2011. The other reason is a little more personal to Bob and I. We both had our first flights on shuttle Endeavour and it just meant so much to us to carry on that name."

Endeavour was the ship commanded by British explorer James Cook on his voyage to Australia in the late 18th Century.

It worth following for live update.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/live-launch-america-nasas-spacex-demo-2-mission-to-the-international-space-station

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21X5lGlDOfg

Source: BBC news
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52855029

I have expected NASA to have found solutions to this corvid-19 but my taught failed me.
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by MiddleDimension: 4:59pm On May 31, 2020
Croccityboi123:
And Nigeria still dey struggle to make pencil......
Make GOD airpus ooo
we do not stuggle to make pencil.
among other things, we are over 90% manufacturing capacity of the whole of West Africa and apart from SA, we have over 85% of sub Saharan African manufacturing capacity.
we have made naval boats in Nigeria
we have made in Nigerian cars now.
we have engineers that are capable of making satellites today they actually made the last satellite we launched into space under the supervision of Surrey Technology in the UK
we are on the way to be the first African country to launch anything into space from our own soil.
we make military vehicles today and apart from SA, no other sub Saharan African country does anything close to it.
in Africa's tech industry, apart from SA, Nigeria has the largest number of tech hubs, according to this website in 2018 https://qz.com/africa/1507268/africa-biggest-tech-stories-and-innovation-trends-in-2018/ in 2019, that could change.
we made Nollywood which IS 1.4% of our GDP the value of which is 7bn dollars. no one else has anything close to what we have.
our Music is the bomb!
@ican2020 @frankline461

2 Likes

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by MiddleDimension: 5:00pm On May 31, 2020
FlordFlorez:
History made in our very eyes. I will join u guys at ISS soon.
this is what we want to hear.

1 Like

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by MiddleDimension: 5:01pm On May 31, 2020
ican2020:
America score first in this and that.

When will Nigeria score first positive goal?
we have done more enough already
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Airoflaw(m): 5:05pm On May 31, 2020
ODJ123:
only legend will understand this...
grandpa
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by apatheticme(f): 5:06pm On May 31, 2020
MasterRahl:
angry

SpaceX in collaboration with NASA and the United States have sent a 2-man crew to the International Space Station.

Here's my take:

1. The United States has recorded a ground-breaking achievement in spite of the COVID-19 pandemic. US recorded one of the highest deaths but this did not deter them from reaching this height.

2. Nigerian politicians have messed up our country. That's a fact! I can't emphasize more on this.

3. Nigerian youths will crowd this forum to bash and castigate the government for not making us great. 50-60% of youths blame the government for joblessness but the same youths refuse to study relevant courses in the tertiary institution that will earn them a chance to Excel in life or contribute to the advancement of the nation. The scientists at NASA are engineers, physicists, mathematicians, economist's, chemists, aerospace scientists, etc. Even Elon Musk himself is a renowned physicist.

NIGERIAN youths will earn degrees in religious and cultural studies, social studies, theatre arts, pre-primary education, etc. and still come to Nairaland to blame the government.

My argument is not one-sided in case anyone wants to bash me. I admit that we have a silly government, but the citizens, especially youths are equally silly.

Some folks here claim that the US is a sane clime and wish to fly there at the slightest opportunity. Days ago, the same folks bashed the sane clime for the extrajudicial killing of Floyd.

The United States and other advanced nations welcome people who have something to offer. For now, a great percentage of Naija youths really have nothing to offer.

Word!
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by MiddleDimension: 5:08pm On May 31, 2020
MasterRahl:
angry

Here's my take:

he is not renouned in physics. he only has a degree there
https://www.nairaland.com/5735824/20th-21st-century-world-renowned-scientists

1 Like

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Casper21: 5:14pm On May 31, 2020
frankline461:
Sincerely asking.

Can Nigeria ever get to this level?

Hahaha, Uk, Korea, china, Russia see countries wey u suppose dey call
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Casper21: 5:16pm On May 31, 2020
This Elon Musk has been my role model for ages. I just love the man. E remain small make i buy im tesla car
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by MiddleDimension: 5:21pm On May 31, 2020
more pictures for those who think we are a banana republic.
if all you are always interested in using statements like "who e epp"; if you are more interested in posting non funny videos with the caption "na the matter we still dey solve since" and similar very ordinary things, how will you know we have made this kind of tremendous progress in life?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by MiddleDimension: 5:22pm On May 31, 2020
more pictures

1 Share

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by hotwax: 5:26pm On May 31, 2020
Jokerman:

That's what Donald Trump came to correct

and thats why liberals hate him

1 Like

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Casper21: 5:34pm On May 31, 2020
MiddleDimension:
Nigeria'a space acheivement in pictures.
@Casper21 we can make satellites today. we lead the African continent in that area
@all

Hmmm. Impressive
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by dannyjesutofunmi(m): 6:02pm On May 31, 2020
SpatialKing:
Congratulations to America NASA - National Aeronautics and Space Administration and Elon Musk SpaceX this is beyond Quantum leap.

I have a dream: One day Nigeria NASRDA and Innoson Vehicles would launch Nigeria into space.
One sokoto guy wey get third class for physics From Usman Dan fodio University dey NASRDA as a researcher.
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Nobody: 6:04pm On May 31, 2020
frankline461:
Sincerely asking.

Can Nigeria ever get to this level?

Nigeria is still struggling to get to the point america was 999 decades ago.
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by mustaphagreens(m): 6:09pm On May 31, 2020
The toy dinosaur on board reminds me of the deepwater horizon movie in which the drilling engineer's daughter requested that her Dad bring home a fossil. (He was able to get a dinosaur's tooth). Safe travel and operations guys!
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by xamuell: 6:16pm On May 31, 2020
Nigeria has space plans also. Nigeria has plans to launch a probe to the moon in the year 2030. We have five satellites in space and Nigeria will liase with either China or Russia to launch our first astronaut to space. China seems to be a more feasible choice considering foreign relations so, we got plans though. Just hope good governance will make way for future achievements.
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by SpatialKing(m): 6:18pm On May 31, 2020
dannyjesutofunmi:

One sokoto guy wey get third class for physics From Usman Dan fodio University dey NASRDA as a researcher.

Big mess

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Woman Gives Birth To Her Granddaughter / Is It Advisable To Have A Telecommunication "Mast" Close To A House? / 'Doomsday Glacier' In Antarctica Is Holding On 'By Its Fingernails' - Scientists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.