Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,808 members, 7,810,108 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:54 PM

Umar Dangiwa Open Letter To Buhari: Your Lopsided Appointment Will Ruin Nigeria - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Umar Dangiwa Open Letter To Buhari: Your Lopsided Appointment Will Ruin Nigeria (49368 Views)

Femi Adesina Explains Buhari’s Lopsided Appointment Of Security Chiefs / Buhari Has Mismanaged Nigeria- Colonel Dangiwa Umar Speaks On Nnamdi Kanu Arrest / OBJ Prefers PMB To Jail Him Than For GEJ To Ruin Nigeria - My Watch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Umar Dangiwa Open Letter To Buhari: Your Lopsided Appointment Will Ruin Nigeria by Nobody: 7:41am On Jun 01, 2020
AnanseK:
ENOUGH of Yellow Journalism!

When I watched Chidoka answering questions on channels TV, on Tuesday 26/5/20,on “politics tonight”, and he was talking about nepotism and the need to sack the entire cabinet of PMB, because minister of Power has sacked TCN MD without due process ( the SGF intervened when it came to his attention),and also a similar issue at ministry of humanitarian Affairs, I laughted: for three reasons :

1. Because the anchor is so lazy that he didn’t confront him with facts : chidoka, did his NYSC in 1997/8, and married Ojo Madueke’s daughter, he was appointed his PA as PDP Secretary, where his father in-law was Secretary of the party .
They won 1999 election and Ojo became a minister of Transport. He appoints him again his PA.
During that time he went to attend a course for 3 months on marine transportation in Singapore and when Ojo was reappointed a minister of External Affairs in 2003, they were still together, then vacancy occurred in FRSC ( everyone thought an insider will be appointed Alas! The influence of the father in-law intervened again! Minister Ojo personally told OBJ that he has an “expert “, on transportation, and OBJ being an impulsive old man, and the fact that no ibo man has headed the agency, Behold! that PA son in-law was appointed Corps Marshall.
It was public knowledge the brouhaha that occurred because a lot of senior officers were retired, because chidoka was in primary school when they graduated and have Masters and PhDs, many more were on level 12, 13, 14, then ( my friend inclusive who joined FRSC in 1990/91), when he ( Chidoka) was still in secondary school !
They showed outrage and they were ignored and eased out.
By the time he got his second tenure, and the ID, scandal blew up ( he converted his wife’s experimental photo studio machines to motor vehicle license equipments and all those license of that era ( two to three years were fading in weeks; I was a victim and I still have it) the scandal was investigated and father in law intervened and he was “ cleared”!

Finally the last gift of the stalwart father in-law was the ministerial appointment by GEJ, after Stella Was removed and he ended the Anambara ministerial slot tenure.
During these years he acquired a Green card bought a house in the USA and literally moved his family there. This interview he granted vis Skype: cos covid traveling restriction, is from his house in USA, he has been there since Christmas some may argue since they lost the election of 2019!
He has a fancy title: SA to PDP chairman on external engagement !
His analysis was so much a personal experience that the nincompoop (Seun) the host was just dazzled with him, that he came out sounding like a non-benefit of nepotism and good Ambassador of due process ! Imagine!! Just because the anchor didn’t research his guest as done by international news media. Sadly the trolls on social media are so gullible that they are insulting the naija number one enemy; PMB and his government!! Even the party thst institutionalized nepotism, cronyism , bad governances are calling for cabinet change ; not their party not their win! Is that what opposition does in other democracies ?

2. If the president has reversed the minister of power twice, how can PDP or chidoka accused him of being weak, or blaming the office of C of staff by extension late Kyari who died weeks ago, before the removal?

3. Why am I subjecting myself to watching a program that since 2018, was anchored towards inviting guests that will come and insult the government without facts and clear bias! A government change which they couldn’t get through the ballot or the tribunal?
Isn’t it time the channels editors stop this anchor for destroying the little reputation John Momoh has left! Most news station or any station at all for that matter, or /and newspapers always die with the proprietors( literary or reputation wise?)

The Vice President has showed you can demand for truth to be told or face the court in a similar circumstance of lies and innuendo, and they retract, PMB has choose silence which is his right to exercise, but why can’t the journalists, self regulate themselves or we just are not cut out to celebrate good people only scandals(remember that platform was where Gov Obi lies that the Lagos / Ibadan Railway was PDP project, the Kaduna/ Abuja Rail got to Kaduna during PDP: when in fact it stopped at kubwa! 2nd Niger Bridge that two presidents of PDP laid the foundation cashed the allocated money, but nothing was done , many other examples like that until PMB two years)
2nd Niger bridge is now on course and the project is on schedule, and ibos are still hating him, to mention a few!
I have in a piece recently showed that ibo elites started nepotism in Nigeria under General Ironsi, but still the narrative of lies persists!!

A.M.Muhammad Esq.

PS: share as wide as you can, so that we get a debate From chidoka and Seun if they have the courage to respond!

Thank you very much on this exposition about how Chidoka became Corps Marshall. So, he was a corper in 1997/98? His being an In-law to Ojo Madueke made him a Corps Marshall less than 10 years after graduation for the position a Massachusett Institute of Technology lecturer and a serving and retired Army General handled. Chidoka, you have been exposed. One thing is that, he performed.

If he had joined Army (I doubt if he would be shortlisted.)he will just be an Army Captain, but under political influence he was given a job given to a Major General on political appointment.

2 Likes

Re: Umar Dangiwa Open Letter To Buhari: Your Lopsided Appointment Will Ruin Nigeria by GoldenisSilence: 7:56am On Jun 01, 2020
Don't worry. I hope the lives of the average northerners is better with those appointments
Re: Umar Dangiwa Open Letter To Buhari: Your Lopsided Appointment Will Ruin Nigeria by DAVE5(m): 7:58am On Jun 01, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
.Umar daginwa can go fuckkk himself
Am not surprised
A good leader got followers and fuckkking foes
The fuckkking foes see nothing good no matter what a good leader will do
They continue to lambaste

Do you by ant chance mean buhari is the good leader
Re: Umar Dangiwa Open Letter To Buhari: Your Lopsided Appointment Will Ruin Nigeria by Staro: 8:02am On Jun 01, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
Am not surprised

You're doomed
Re: Umar Dangiwa Open Letter To Buhari: Your Lopsided Appointment Will Ruin Nigeria by eodavids(m): 8:31am On Jun 01, 2020
newgroom:
OPEN LETTER FROM COL. DANGIWA UMAR (RTD) TO PRESIDENT MUHAMMADU BUHARI

Muhammadu Buhari,
President,
Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces,
Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Dear Mr. President,

MR. PRESIDENT; PLEASE BELONG TO ALL OF US.

“One of the swiftest ways of destroying a Kingdom is to give preference of one particular tribe over another or show favor to one group of people rather than another. And to draw near those who should be kept away and keep away those who should be drawn near” Sheikh Usman Dan Fodio.

I have been prompted to write you this open letter, Mr. President, by the loud sounds of drums, singing and dancing that erupted within many groups in the last few days on the grounds that you attained the 5th year in office as President of Nigeria. It comes as no surprise that enthusiasm for the celebration is not shared equally by segments of the public. While your admirers and supporters believe you have performed well, many others believe the five years you have been in office as our President has not met the yearnings, expectations and change promised Nigerians.

Mr. President, you know me well enough and my position on issues to realize that I can be neither a rabid supporter nor a fanatical opponent of yours. I believe being a responsible citizen is enough reason to wish you well and to work for your success. As we have seen all too clearly these past few years, your success is ours as is your failure. We swim or sink with you!

You might wish to recall that after the results of the 23rd of February 2019 presidential elections were announced, giving you victory, I addressed a press conference during which I urged the runner-up, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar of the PDP, to concede defeat. The reason was clear: tensions were running high and little missteps by the leaders might ignite violence, as often happened after major elections. Some supporters of Abubakar Atiku disagreed with me and told me off. As it happened, Alhaji Atiku went ahead to mount a legal challenge to the outcome of the elections up to the Supreme Court. Mercifully, his actions did not result in an outbreak of violence as we feared.

At the same occasion, I counselled the declared winner, your good self, to use the opportunity of your second term to redeem your pledge of being a leader and president of all Nigerians.

On the occasion of the first-year anniversary into your second four-year term, I feel there is an urgent need to revisit this subject matter.

Mr. President, you have often expressed the hope that history will be kind to you. It is within your competence to write that history. But you have less than three years in which to do it. You may wish to note that any authentic history must be devoid of myth. It will be a true, factual rendition of the record of your performance.

And truth be told, Mr. President, there are quite a lot of things that speak to your remarkable accomplishments, not least of which is that for the first time in our democratic history, a sitting President was defeated. That feat was achieved by Muhammadu Buhari. The reason was the public belief of you as a man of integrity.

The corollary to this is that at the expiration of your 8-year tenure in 2023, your achievements will not be measured solely by the physical infrastructure your administration built. An enduring legacy would be based on those intangible things like how much you uplifted the spirit and moral tone of the nation. How well have you secured the nation from ourselves and from external enemies?

At this time and in the light of all that have happened since you took office, any conversation with you Mr. President cannot gloss over the chaos that has overtaken appointments into government offices in your administration. All those who wish you and the country well must mince no words in warning you that Nigeria has become dangerously polarized and risk sliding into crisis on account of your administration’s lopsided appointments which continues to give undue preference to some sections of the country over others.

Nowhere is this more glaring than in the leadership cadre of our security services.

Mr. President, I regret that there are no kind or gentle words to tell you that your skewed appointments into the offices of the federal government, favoring some and frustrating others, shall bring ruin and destruction to this nation.

I need not remind you, Mr. President, that our political history is replete with great acts of exemplary leadership which, at critical moments, managed to pull this nation back from the precipice and assured its continued existence.

A few examples will demonstrate this:

In February, 1965, the NPC-led Federal Government was faced with a decision to appoint a successor to the outgoing Nigerian Army General Officer Commanding (GOC), General Welby Everard, a Briton. Four most senior officers were nominated; namely, Brigadiers Aguiyi Ironsi, Ogundipe, Ademulegun and Maimalari. The first three were senior to Maimalari but he was deemed to be more qualified due to his superior commission. He was the first Sandhurst Regular trained officer in the Nigerian Army. His being a Muslim Northerner like the Minister of Defense, Alhaji Muhammadu Ribadu and the Prime Minister, Alhaji Abubakar Tafawa Balewa granted him added advantage by today’s standards. But to the surprise of even the Igbos, and opposition from some senior NPC members, Minister Ribadu recommended Ironsi, pointing to his seniority. The Prime Minister concurred and Aguiyi Ironsi was confirmed as the first indigenous GOC of the Nigerian Army.

When on 13 February 1976, the Commander-in-Chief, General Murtala Muhammed, was assassinated in a failed Coup de tat, General Olusegun Obasanjo, his deputy and the most senior officer at the time, was sworn in as his successor. The Chief of Army Staff, General T.Y Danjuma, a Northern Christian, was next in line to succeed Obasanjo as the Chief of Staff, SHQ and Deputy Commander in Chief. General Danjuma however waived his right and recommended a much junior officer, Lt. Col. Shehu Musa Yar’adua, for the post. Shehu was promoted two steps up to the rank of Brigadier and appointed Chief of Staff SHQ and Deputy Commander-in-Chief. Lt. Col. Muhammadu Buhari was appointed Minister of Petroleum. This was done to placate Muslim North which was deemed to have lost one of its own, Murtala Muhammed.

Both the chief of staff, Mr. Sunday Awoniyi, and the personal physician Dr Ishaya Audu to the Premier of Northern Nigeria, Alhaji Sir Ahmadu Bello, a direct descendant of Sheikh Usman Dan Fodio, were Christians.

Barely nine years after the civil war in 1979, the NPN Presidential candidate, Alhaji Shehu Shagari, picked an Igbo, Dr Alex Ekwueme, as his running mate. They enjoyed a truly brotherly relationship as President and Vice President. President Shagari’s political advisor, Dr Chuba Okadigbo and National Assembly Liaison, assistant, Dr K.O Mbadiwe, were both Igbos. His economic advisor, Prof. Emmanuel Edozien and his Chief of Personnel Staff Dr Michael Prest, were of Niger Delta extraction. Remarkably, all his military service chiefs were Christians with the exception of his last Chief Army Staff, General Inuwa Wushishi under whose tenure he was removed in a military coup de tat.

Mr. President, as a witness and beneficiary, it is our expectation that you would emulate these great acts of statesmanship. Which is why we have continued to engage with you.

You may wish to recall that I had cause to appeal to you, to confirm Justice Onnoghen as the substantive Chief Justice of Nigeria a few days before the expiration of his three months tenure of acting appointment to be replaced by a Muslim Northerner. We were saved that embarrassment when his nomination was sent to the senate by the then acting President, Prof. Yemi Osibanjo. When he was finally confirmed a few days to the end of his tenure, he was removed after a few months and replaced by Justice Muhammed, a Muslim from the North.

May I also invite the attention of Mr. President to the pending matter of appointment of a Chief Judge of the Nigerian Court Appeal which appears to be generating public interest. As it is, the most senior Judge, Justice Monica Dongban Mensem, a northern Christian, is serving out her second three-month term as acting Chief Judge without firm prospects that she will be confirmed substantive head. I do not know Justice Mensem but those who do attest to her competence, honesty and humility. She appears eminently qualified for appointment as the substantive Chief Judge of the Court of Appeal as she is also said to be highly recommended by the National Judicial Council. If she is not and is bypassed in favor of the next in line who happens to be another northern Muslim, that would be truly odd. In which case, even the largest contingent of PR gurus would struggle to rebut the charges that you, Mr. President, is either unwilling or incapable of acting on your pledge to belong to everyone — and to no one. I hope you would see your way into pausing and reflecting on the very grave consequences of such failure not just to your legacy but to the future of our great country.

Thank you for your time, Mr. President.

COL. ABUBAKAR DANGIWA UMAR (RTD)

Good to know that there are still good people who still do not mince words in saying the truth

Its my wish Dady Buhari will take Col. Umar's advice seriously.
Re: Umar Dangiwa Open Letter To Buhari: Your Lopsided Appointment Will Ruin Nigeria by homesteady(m): 8:39am On Jun 01, 2020
jumper524:
when you grow to become an elder, you'll realise you've been scammed all along.

Bro I asked you a question and you dodged it.

Why hasn't that woman been appointed as substantive president of the court of appeal?

I expect you to dodge the question again grin
Re: Umar Dangiwa Open Letter To Buhari: Your Lopsided Appointment Will Ruin Nigeria by romenna: 10:25am On Jun 01, 2020
He has succeeded in setting a dangerous precedent.
Security appointments from future presidents will no doubt tow the Buhari format.
Re: Umar Dangiwa Open Letter To Buhari: Your Lopsided Appointment Will Ruin Nigeria by Babacele: 10:42am On Jun 01, 2020
Shikenan!
Re: Umar Dangiwa Open Letter To Buhari: Your Lopsided Appointment Will Ruin Nigeria by mkoabiola: 11:05am On Jun 01, 2020
Bubu cannot and will never read this lengthy letter..
Re: Umar Dangiwa Open Letter To Buhari: Your Lopsided Appointment Will Ruin Nigeria by Nobody: 11:17am On Jun 01, 2020
buhari will destroy himself .
Re: Umar Dangiwa Open Letter To Buhari: Your Lopsided Appointment Will Ruin Nigeria by Nobody: 11:54am On Jun 01, 2020
AnanseK:
ENOUGH of Yellow Journalism!

When I watched Chidoka answering questions on channels TV, on Tuesday 26/5/20,on “politics tonight”, and he was talking about nepotism and the need to sack the entire cabinet of PMB, because minister of Power has sacked TCN MD without due process ( the SGF intervened when it came to his attention),and also a similar issue at ministry of humanitarian Affairs, I laughted: for three reasons :

1. Because the anchor is so lazy that he didn’t confront him with facts : chidoka, did his NYSC in 1997/8, and married Ojo Madueke’s daughter, he was appointed his PA as PDP Secretary, where his father in-law was Secretary of the party .
They won 1999 election and Ojo became a minister of Transport. He appoints him again his PA.
During that time he went to attend a course for 3 months on marine transportation in Singapore and when Ojo was reappointed a minister of External Affairs in 2003, they were still together, then vacancy occurred in FRSC ( everyone thought an insider will be appointed Alas! The influence of the father in-law intervened again! Minister Ojo personally told OBJ that he has an “expert “, on transportation, and OBJ being an impulsive old man, and the fact that no ibo man has headed the agency, Behold! that PA son in-law was appointed Corps Marshall.
It was public knowledge the brouhaha that occurred because a lot of senior officers were retired, because chidoka was in primary school when they graduated and have Masters and PhDs, many more were on level 12, 13, 14, then ( my friend inclusive who joined FRSC in 1990/91), when he ( Chidoka) was still in secondary school !
They showed outrage and they were ignored and eased out.
By the time he got his second tenure, and the ID, scandal blew up ( he converted his wife’s experimental photo studio machines to motor vehicle license equipments and all those license of that era ( two to three years were fading in weeks; I was a victim and I still have it) the scandal was investigated and father in law intervened and he was “ cleared”!

Finally the last gift of the stalwart father in-law was the ministerial appointment by GEJ, after Stella Was removed and he ended the Anambara ministerial slot tenure.
During these years he acquired a Green card bought a house in the USA and literally moved his family there. This interview he granted vis Skype: cos covid traveling restriction, is from his house in USA, he has been there since Christmas some may argue since they lost the election of 2019!
He has a fancy title: SA to PDP chairman on external engagement !
His analysis was so much a personal experience that the nincompoop (Seun) the host was just dazzled with him, that he came out sounding like a non-benefit of nepotism and good Ambassador of due process ! Imagine!! Just because the anchor didn’t research his guest as done by international news media. Sadly the trolls on social media are so gullible that they are insulting the naija number one enemy; PMB and his government!! Even the party thst institutionalized nepotism, cronyism , bad governances are calling for cabinet change ; not their party not their win! Is that what opposition does in other democracies ?

2. If the president has reversed the minister of power twice, how can PDP or chidoka accused him of being weak, or blaming the office of C of staff by extension late Kyari who died weeks ago, before the removal?

3. Why am I subjecting myself to watching a program that since 2018, was anchored towards inviting guests that will come and insult the government without facts and clear bias! A government change which they couldn’t get through the ballot or the tribunal?
Isn’t it time the channels editors stop this anchor for destroying the little reputation John Momoh has left! Most news station or any station at all for that matter, or /and newspapers always die with the proprietors( literary or reputation wise?)

The Vice President has showed you can demand for truth to be told or face the court in a similar circumstance of lies and innuendo, and they retract, PMB has choose silence which is his right to exercise, but why can’t the journalists, self regulate themselves or we just are not cut out to celebrate good people only scandals(remember that platform was where Gov Obi lies that the Lagos / Ibadan Railway was PDP project, the Kaduna/ Abuja Rail got to Kaduna during PDP: when in fact it stopped at kubwa! 2nd Niger Bridge that two presidents of PDP laid the foundation cashed the allocated money, but nothing was done , many other examples like that until PMB two years)
2nd Niger bridge is now on course and the project is on schedule, and ibos are still hating him, to mention a few!
I have in a piece recently showed that ibo elites started nepotism in Nigeria under General Ironsi, but still the narrative of lies persists!!

A.M.Muhammad Esq.

PS: share as wide as you can, so that we get a debate From chidoka and Seun if they have the courage to respond!
Thank you very much on this exposition about how Chidoka became Corps Marshall. So, he was a corper in 1997/98? His being an In-law to Ojo Madueke made him a Corps Marshall less than 10 years after graduation for the position a Massachusett Institute of Technology lecturer and a serving and retired Army General handled. Chidoka, you have been exposed. One thing is that, he performed.

If he had joined Army (I doubt if he would be shortlisted.)he will just be an Army Captain, but under political influence he was given a job given to a Major General on political appointment.
Re: Umar Dangiwa Open Letter To Buhari: Your Lopsided Appointment Will Ruin Nigeria by ARKdiscloser7(m): 11:55am On Jun 01, 2020
Finally!!!
Behold one sensible, reasonable, right thinking and untribalised Northerner.
Hope they wont go after him.
Re: Umar Dangiwa Open Letter To Buhari: Your Lopsided Appointment Will Ruin Nigeria by Staro: 4:23pm On Jun 01, 2020
Worst president in Nigeria
since independence
Re: Umar Dangiwa Open Letter To Buhari: Your Lopsided Appointment Will Ruin Nigeria by shekhaz(f): 6:27pm On Jun 01, 2020
slyfox35:
They are saying someone did not go to school,you are writing long letter to him...he can’t and won’t read it,and if someone else reads it for him,he can’t hear because he has ear problems too
Good luck on him getting your open letter
This statement cracked me up. He came to power to fulfill his heart desires and not what Nigerians want. I have not seen him achieve one of his change mantra. See how Tinubu's camp is quiet now over the current state of the nation
Re: Umar Dangiwa Open Letter To Buhari: Your Lopsided Appointment Will Ruin Nigeria by stormborn28(m): 8:41pm On Jun 01, 2020
jumper524:
what loopsided appointment is this man talking about?

every region got their constitutional required appointment. apart from that every other appointment is politically influenced or should ba based on outstanding merit.

you didn't invest politically you shouldn't reap politically.

learn to be politically smart instead of media noises.
so all the men of the army should invest politically too. So that their appointment won't be lopsided . What I can see is that you need brain transplant
Re: Umar Dangiwa Open Letter To Buhari: Your Lopsided Appointment Will Ruin Nigeria by stormborn28(m): 8:46pm On Jun 01, 2020
Onyi22:
President Buhari is really trying only that d masses lacks patient
trying in lopsided appointment right.. I doubt you read what the colonel wrote

1 Like

Re: Umar Dangiwa Open Letter To Buhari: Your Lopsided Appointment Will Ruin Nigeria by stormborn28(m): 8:51pm On Jun 01, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
Am not surprised
just take a look at yourself...because you are chopping #30000 monthly shouldn't deprive your medulla cells from its job

1 Like

Re: Umar Dangiwa Open Letter To Buhari: Your Lopsided Appointment Will Ruin Nigeria by stormborn28(m): 8:55pm On Jun 01, 2020
senatordave1:

How so sir
the military..
Re: Umar Dangiwa Open Letter To Buhari: Your Lopsided Appointment Will Ruin Nigeria by stormborn28(m): 8:56pm On Jun 01, 2020
Susu888:
Rubbish letter... time nd again the facts have proven Buhari doesn't engage in nepotism.

Mr man should go nd sit down... it seems he bas heard nd read so many lies/propaganda that he started believing the rubbish.

Next time let him recheck with proven facts before he opens mouth to embarrass himself. undecided
what about the military heads as a case study
Re: Umar Dangiwa Open Letter To Buhari: Your Lopsided Appointment Will Ruin Nigeria by stormborn28(m): 9:05pm On Jun 01, 2020
NoIgboSoundTueh:

Tafawa Balewa fortrightness in dealing with Igbos send him to his grave.( i wont remind anyone of how he was killed.)
So, Aguiyi Ironsi benefited from the Magnanimity of the prime minister yet he was complicit of the coup that send him to great beyond.
if you don't know history, go and sit somewhere and read comprehensively ..how was Aguiyi Ironsi complicit? He was never in the know of that coup. He was kill because he didn't sentence the coup plotters to death by decree
Re: Umar Dangiwa Open Letter To Buhari: Your Lopsided Appointment Will Ruin Nigeria by NoIgboSoundTueh: 9:20pm On Jun 01, 2020
stormborn28:
if you don't know history, go and sit somewhere and read comprehensively ..how was Aguiyi Ironsi complicit? He was never in the know of that coup. He was kill because he didn't sentence the coup plotters to death by decree
He may not have masterminded the coup but the coup was orchestrated to put him in power and he was aware Nzeogwu was planning coup.
Or how will you explain that he seized power from the Senate president and refuse to punish the coup plotter?
Igbos are responsible for killing two of the finest northerner leaders Sir Ahmadu Bello and Sir Tafawa Balewa.
That's the genesis of the problems.
Igbos cant talk about the civil war without taking of the remote cause
Re: Umar Dangiwa Open Letter To Buhari: Your Lopsided Appointment Will Ruin Nigeria by rhames(m): 9:41pm On Jun 01, 2020
newgroom:
OPEN LETTER FROM COL. DANGIWA UMAR (RTD) TO PRESIDENT MUHAMMADU BUHARI

Muhammadu Buhari,
President,
Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces,
Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Dear Mr. President,

MR. PRESIDENT; PLEASE BELONG TO ALL OF US.

“One of the swiftest ways of destroying a Kingdom is to give preference of one particular tribe over another or show favor to one group of people rather than another. And to draw near those who should be kept away and keep away those who should be drawn near” Sheikh Usman Dan Fodio.

I have been prompted to write you this open letter, Mr. President, by the loud sounds of drums, singing and dancing that erupted within many groups in the last few days on the grounds that you attained the 5th year in office as President of Nigeria. It comes as no surprise that enthusiasm for the celebration is not shared equally by segments of the public. While your admirers and supporters believe you have performed well, many others believe the five years you have been in office as our President has not met the yearnings, expectations and change promised Nigerians.

Mr. President, you know me well enough and my position on issues to realize that I can be neither a rabid supporter nor a fanatical opponent of yours. I believe being a responsible citizen is enough reason to wish you well and to work for your success. As we have seen all too clearly these past few years, your success is ours as is your failure. We swim or sink with you!

You might wish to recall that after the results of the 23rd of February 2019 presidential elections were announced, giving you victory, I addressed a press conference during which I urged the runner-up, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar of the PDP, to concede defeat. The reason was clear: tensions were running high and little missteps by the leaders might ignite violence, as often happened after major elections. Some supporters of Abubakar Atiku disagreed with me and told me off. As it happened, Alhaji Atiku went ahead to mount a legal challenge to the outcome of the elections up to the Supreme Court. Mercifully, his actions did not result in an outbreak of violence as we feared.

At the same occasion, I counselled the declared winner, your good self, to use the opportunity of your second term to redeem your pledge of being a leader and president of all Nigerians.

On the occasion of the first-year anniversary into your second four-year term, I feel there is an urgent need to revisit this subject matter.

Mr. President, you have often expressed the hope that history will be kind to you. It is within your competence to write that history. But you have less than three years in which to do it. You may wish to note that any authentic history must be devoid of myth. It will be a true, factual rendition of the record of your performance.

And truth be told, Mr. President, there are quite a lot of things that speak to your remarkable accomplishments, not least of which is that for the first time in our democratic history, a sitting President was defeated. That feat was achieved by Muhammadu Buhari. The reason was the public belief of you as a man of integrity.

The corollary to this is that at the expiration of your 8-year tenure in 2023, your achievements will not be measured solely by the physical infrastructure your administration built. An enduring legacy would be based on those intangible things like how much you uplifted the spirit and moral tone of the nation. How well have you secured the nation from ourselves and from external enemies?

At this time and in the light of all that have happened since you took office, any conversation with you Mr. President cannot gloss over the chaos that has overtaken appointments into government offices in your administration. All those who wish you and the country well must mince no words in warning you that Nigeria has become dangerously polarized and risk sliding into crisis on account of your administration’s lopsided appointments which continues to give undue preference to some sections of the country over others.

Nowhere is this more glaring than in the leadership cadre of our security services.

Mr. President, I regret that there are no kind or gentle words to tell you that your skewed appointments into the offices of the federal government, favoring some and frustrating others, shall bring ruin and destruction to this nation.

I need not remind you, Mr. President, that our political history is replete with great acts of exemplary leadership which, at critical moments, managed to pull this nation back from the precipice and assured its continued existence.

A few examples will demonstrate this:

In February, 1965, the NPC-led Federal Government was faced with a decision to appoint a successor to the outgoing Nigerian Army General Officer Commanding (GOC), General Welby Everard, a Briton. Four most senior officers were nominated; namely, Brigadiers Aguiyi Ironsi, Ogundipe, Ademulegun and Maimalari. The first three were senior to Maimalari but he was deemed to be more qualified due to his superior commission. He was the first Sandhurst Regular trained officer in the Nigerian Army. His being a Muslim Northerner like the Minister of Defense, Alhaji Muhammadu Ribadu and the Prime Minister, Alhaji Abubakar Tafawa Balewa granted him added advantage by today’s standards. But to the surprise of even the Igbos, and opposition from some senior NPC members, Minister Ribadu recommended Ironsi, pointing to his seniority. The Prime Minister concurred and Aguiyi Ironsi was confirmed as the first indigenous GOC of the Nigerian Army.

When on 13 February 1976, the Commander-in-Chief, General Murtala Muhammed, was assassinated in a failed Coup de tat, General Olusegun Obasanjo, his deputy and the most senior officer at the time, was sworn in as his successor. The Chief of Army Staff, General T.Y Danjuma, a Northern Christian, was next in line to succeed Obasanjo as the Chief of Staff, SHQ and Deputy Commander in Chief. General Danjuma however waived his right and recommended a much junior officer, Lt. Col. Shehu Musa Yar’adua, for the post. Shehu was promoted two steps up to the rank of Brigadier and appointed Chief of Staff SHQ and Deputy Commander-in-Chief. Lt. Col. Muhammadu Buhari was appointed Minister of Petroleum. This was done to placate Muslim North which was deemed to have lost one of its own, Murtala Muhammed.

Both the chief of staff, Mr. Sunday Awoniyi, and the personal physician Dr Ishaya Audu to the Premier of Northern Nigeria, Alhaji Sir Ahmadu Bello, a direct descendant of Sheikh Usman Dan Fodio, were Christians.

Barely nine years after the civil war in 1979, the NPN Presidential candidate, Alhaji Shehu Shagari, picked an Igbo, Dr Alex Ekwueme, as his running mate. They enjoyed a truly brotherly relationship as President and Vice President. President Shagari’s political advisor, Dr Chuba Okadigbo and National Assembly Liaison, assistant, Dr K.O Mbadiwe, were both Igbos. His economic advisor, Prof. Emmanuel Edozien and his Chief of Personnel Staff Dr Michael Prest, were of Niger Delta extraction. Remarkably, all his military service chiefs were Christians with the exception of his last Chief Army Staff, General Inuwa Wushishi under whose tenure he was removed in a military coup de tat.

Mr. President, as a witness and beneficiary, it is our expectation that you would emulate these great acts of statesmanship. Which is why we have continued to engage with you.

You may wish to recall that I had cause to appeal to you, to confirm Justice Onnoghen as the substantive Chief Justice of Nigeria a few days before the expiration of his three months tenure of acting appointment to be replaced by a Muslim Northerner. We were saved that embarrassment when his nomination was sent to the senate by the then acting President, Prof. Yemi Osibanjo. When he was finally confirmed a few days to the end of his tenure, he was removed after a few months and replaced by Justice Muhammed, a Muslim from the North.

May I also invite the attention of Mr. President to the pending matter of appointment of a Chief Judge of the Nigerian Court Appeal which appears to be generating public interest. As it is, the most senior Judge, Justice Monica Dongban Mensem, a northern Christian, is serving out her second three-month term as acting Chief Judge without firm prospects that she will be confirmed substantive head. I do not know Justice Mensem but those who do attest to her competence, honesty and humility. She appears eminently qualified for appointment as the substantive Chief Judge of the Court of Appeal as she is also said to be highly recommended by the National Judicial Council. If she is not and is bypassed in favor of the next in line who happens to be another northern Muslim, that would be truly odd. In which case, even the largest contingent of PR gurus would struggle to rebut the charges that you, Mr. President, is either unwilling or incapable of acting on your pledge to belong to everyone — and to no one. I hope you would see your way into pausing and reflecting on the very grave consequences of such failure not just to your legacy but to the future of our great country.

Thank you for your time, Mr. President.

COL. ABUBAKAR DANGIWA UMAR (RTD)
Re: Umar Dangiwa Open Letter To Buhari: Your Lopsided Appointment Will Ruin Nigeria by stormborn28(m): 10:19pm On Jun 01, 2020
NoIgboSoundTueh:

He may not have masterminded the coup but the coup was orchestrated to put him in power and he was aware Nzeogwu was planning coup.
Or how will you explain that he seized power from the Senate president and refuse to punish the coup plotter?
Igbos are responsible for killing two of the finest northerner leaders Sir Ahmadu Bello and Sir Tafawa Balewa.
That's the genesis of the problems.
Igbos cant talk about the civil war without taking of the remote cause
you are still getting it wrong.. Do you know some soldiers were sent to Lagos to take power from him? But those plotters failed in Lagos? There were those sent to take over from Ojukwu in Kaduna but also failed. You need to read your history books
Re: Umar Dangiwa Open Letter To Buhari: Your Lopsided Appointment Will Ruin Nigeria by GEEBITE: 12:13am On Jun 02, 2020
IBM's stooge who had the guts to resign his commission in protest against an unlawful annulment. Please define stooge again.
fk001:

There is nothing wrong with it, but if it is written by your enemy to shame you then there is so much wrong with it.

Dangiwa was/is IBB stooge then and now.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Tinubu Camp Hired ‘Unknown Bishops’ To Venue Of Unveiling Of Shettima - Sahara R / The Dog & The Baboon Will Be Soaked In Blood - Buhari / Geidam Attack: Army Inflicts Heavy Casualty On ISWAP Terrorists, Recovers Weapon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.