Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,187 members, 7,953,676 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:36 PM

Help! My Friend Gets Paid 36k Per Month As A Graphics Designer For A Big Company - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Help! My Friend Gets Paid 36k Per Month As A Graphics Designer For A Big Company (1012 Views)

10 Critical Mistakes To Avoid When Choosing A Logo Designer For Your Startup / Need Logo Designer For N1000 Per Design. A Job Every Week At Least. / 7 Tips To Know When Engaging A Graphics Designer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! My Friend Gets Paid 36k Per Month As A Graphics Designer For A Big Company by Nobody: 11:02pm On May 31, 2020
My friend who dropped out from uni a few years back because of lack of funds, just told me this evening he gets paid 36k per month and I was beyond surprised. I mean this guy is extremely good as a designer. His designs are amazing. Yet he gets same pay as the company's security men!

His excuse is that he doesn't have a degree yet so he can't ask for a raise!
I feel so bad for him right now, I don't know what to do about this, he has been with this company for over one year now.
And according to him he works over 50hours per week.

I want to advise him to pursue for a raise, but I'm not so sure if it's the right thing to do for him since I don't know many designers personally.

But do you guys think he should push for a raise regardless of whether he has a degree or not?
Does graphics design require a degree for a company to consider your worth as an in-house designer?
Re: Help! My Friend Gets Paid 36k Per Month As A Graphics Designer For A Big Company by erad(m): 11:19pm On May 31, 2020
Your friend doesn't know his worth if he is truly as good as you claim.
Graphics design is one of those fields where your skills do the talking and not some certificate.
The company is obviously taking advantage of him because he's likely to earn way more than that working freelance.

He needs to seat them down and renegotiate his terms or find a better offer.

36k...
That's just ridiculous.
Re: Help! My Friend Gets Paid 36k Per Month As A Graphics Designer For A Big Company by MrBrownJay1(m): 11:22pm On May 31, 2020
4eyededoboy:
My friend who dropped out from uni a few years back because of lack of funds, just told me this evening he gets paid 36k per month and I was beyond surprised. I mean this guy is extremely good as a designer. His designs are amazing. Yet he gets same pay as the company's security men!

His excuse is that he doesn't have a degree yet so he can't ask for a raise!
I feel so bad for him right now, I don't know what to do about this, he has been with this company for over one year now.
And according to him he works over 50hours per week.

I want to advise him to pursue for a raise, but I'm not so sure if it's the right thing to do for him since I don't know many designers personally.

But do you guys think he should push for a raise regardless of whether he has a degree or not?
Does graphics design require a degree for a company to consider your worth as an in-house designer?

if the company knows his worth and still doesnt want to pay him properly, then let your friend 1st find a better job then resign and change work.... EOD

1 Like

Re: Help! My Friend Gets Paid 36k Per Month As A Graphics Designer For A Big Company by slimjohn2k5: 11:27pm On May 31, 2020
Truth is someone is collecting his salary posing as the one doing the job.
If truly is a big company.

4 Likes

Re: Help! My Friend Gets Paid 36k Per Month As A Graphics Designer For A Big Company by Nobody: 10:08am On Jun 01, 2020
erad:
Your friend doesn't know his worth if he is truly as good as you claim.
Graphics design is one of those fields where your skills do the talking and not some certificate.
The company is obviously taking advantage of him because he's likely to earn way more than that working freelance.

He needs to seat them down and renegotiate his terms or find a better offer.

36k...
That's just ridiculous.
I was really surprised too, the least paid people in their office are the security guys and then him as well. According to him they all have same O level qualification. That's how he is trying
to justify his pay! I didn't want to discuss this further with him because I'm not in the creative industry and has such I don't really know if you guys earnings are dependent on your qualifications. Hence the reason for creating this thread
Re: Help! My Friend Gets Paid 36k Per Month As A Graphics Designer For A Big Company by Nobody: 10:10am On Jun 01, 2020
slimjohn2k5:
Truth is someone is collecting his salary posing as the one doing the job.
If truly is a big company.
yeah it's a big company, is that really possible? Wow That's wickedness o
Re: Help! My Friend Gets Paid 36k Per Month As A Graphics Designer For A Big Company by Nobody: 10:14am On Jun 01, 2020
MrBrownJay1:

if the company knows his worth and still doesnt want to pay him properly, then let your friend 1st find a better job then resign and change work.... EOD
Hmm thanks. Before he got this very job, he actually searched for design jobs, and none of them offered to pay him up to this 36k he is earning, because he has no degree!
Re: Help! My Friend Gets Paid 36k Per Month As A Graphics Designer For A Big Company by MrBrownJay1(m): 2:38pm On Jun 01, 2020
4eyededoboy:
Hmm thanks. Before he got this very job, he actually searched for design jobs, and none of them offered to pay him up to this 36k he is earning, because he has no degree!

so i suggest he should keep quiet and be grateful they even offered him such a good job.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Friend Gets Paid 36k Per Month As A Graphics Designer For A Big Company by nonny1212: 10:39pm On Jun 02, 2020
Degree my foot. It's about self worth. He lacks that. I won't blame him much 36k seem so big to him hence his comfort with it.

If were him, I will remain there, get knowledge on how the design market is run. Get fully equipped on the business part of the design industry from the experience in a big design industry.

Since he's got the skill, he will be on a beast mode when it is time for him to quit, nobody go tell am self. His experience and skill will boost him alot in freelance level, that's if he's got BALLS
Re: Help! My Friend Gets Paid 36k Per Month As A Graphics Designer For A Big Company by Offpoint: 8:03am On Jun 03, 2020
Your friend is suffering from the *half bread is better than none" syndrome.
Imagine how much he can make freelancing.
When he family discover his worth he'll quit or ask for a raise.

(1) (Reply)

outdated / Buisness Card Design Needed / Flyers Design Package

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.