Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,766 members, 7,824,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:06 AM

Can A Minor Legally Own A Land In Nigeria? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Can A Minor Legally Own A Land In Nigeria? (1118 Views)

Can A Child Legally Own A Land In Nigeria? / Lovely 4bedroom Semi Detached Duplex In Minor Gardend B4 VGC 4 Let Pic / Help!! Buy A Land At 200k Per Plot To Help A Family In Ibeju Lekki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Minor Legally Own A Land In Nigeria? by seankim(m): 6:27am On Jun 01, 2020
As written.
Re: Can A Minor Legally Own A Land In Nigeria? by UndauntedYOCA(f): 7:01am On Jun 01, 2020
I don't know about this topic but what I do know is that you'll never regret this action if done properly and acquired and given all documents necessary. My uncle ensured he bought at least a plot of land for all his kids (they're in numbrr), his kids are all grown up and have started building their houses.
Depending on your location, I'd also advise you buy land for them (if your initial plan's to acquire already constructed houses), go to places you know will be developed in 5-20 years and buy as many as possible (there are land in rural areas that cost about 200-500/acre and land in suburbs that are also very cheap ). Keep buying for them and you'll be glad you did, ensure you get a good lawyer and like I always do, ensure you record the whole conversation that ensues between you and the dealer, mention their names, get them to talk about everything, let your lawyer be present if possible stylishly video them self because people can be funny o (it's like someone who borrowed 50k from me, forgot and would have denied it if I hadn't shown him the debit alert in my mail). This is an awesome decision you've made bro. All the best.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Minor Legally Own A Land In Nigeria? by seankim(m): 11:08am On Jun 01, 2020
Re: Can A Minor Legally Own A Land In Nigeria? by Treash(m): 11:41am On Jun 01, 2020
By Section 7 of the Land Use Act, the child below 21 years cannot own a land in Nigeria. However, same law provides that you buy the land in the name of such child as a "trustee". This implies that, you can be in charge of the property on his behalf until he reaches majority and proper documentation will be done.
Re: Can A Minor Legally Own A Land In Nigeria? by seankim(m): 4:20pm On Jun 01, 2020
Treash:
By Section 7 of the Land Use Act, the child below 21 years cannot own a land in Nigeria. However, same law provides that you buy the land in the name of such child as a "trustee". This implies that, you can be in charge of the property on his behalf until he reaches majority and proper documentation will be done.

Thank you.
Re: Can A Minor Legally Own A Land In Nigeria? by UndauntedYOCA(f): 11:12am On Jun 20, 2020
seankim:

Thank you very much. One important thing that you mentioned was that I can consider less developed areas because the land will be there for years. I will do just that.
Sorry I'm just replying.
I'm glad you'll heed to this advice.
You'd be surprised that there are many places in the west where you can buy land (safe )at ridiculous prices. I could recommend some for you. Where are you located? Irrespective of your location, do spread you tentacles. grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

I Need A 3-bedroom Bungalow Plan / Looking For Flat Apartments In Ogba, Ikeja, Ojodu? Check Here: New Lettings: / 4flat of 3bedroom on a plot cornerpiece @ ojodu:see pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.