Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) (3475 Views)

UAE Relaxes Islamic Laws, Allows Alcohol, Cohabitation Of Unmarried Couples / Iran Executes A Man For Drinking Alcohol / Military Takeover: What Zimbabwe Looks Like Today (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by TMKsouth: 3:33pm On Jun 01, 2020
South African shoppers filled trolleys with cases of beer and cider and bottles of whiskey and wine on Monday as the government eased the coronavirus lockdown to allow the sale of alcohol to resume after a nine-week ban.

South Africa, which has one of the highest rates of alcohol consumption per capita in the world, banned the sale of liquor in late March to ease hospital workloads and prevent a rise in domestic violence related to alcohol abuse during lockdown.

Under looser restrictions, alcohol will be sold for home consumption from Mondays to Thursdays, a welcome relief for an industry on its knees due to the ban.

An estimated 117,600 jobs have been lost in the industry, with 13% of the craft beer sector in the process of shutting, while the wine industry was in severe distress.

A few kilometres from the township, more than 100 people snaked around the parking lot of Makro Liquor, owned by Massmart , with bottle store owners loading cases of beer and cider onto pick-up trunks.

Software developer Teboho Mofokeng waited in the queue for more than two hours for his six bottles of whiskey, saying his alcohol stock ran out during lockdown.

“I’ve been without liquor for some time now,” he said. “I’m over-excited and relieved.”

Retailers like Pick n Pay and Shoprite’s Checkers supermarket chain, had allowed customers to place pre-orders online for delivery from Monday.

Some retailers placed limits on purchases, with Checkers limiting online orders to 120 litres per order.

Online alcohol stores and delivery apps were dealing with high volumes of orders after President Cyril Ramaphosa’s announcement to further reopen the economy.

https://af.reuters.com/article/commoditiesNews/idAFL8N2DD0LX

1 Like

Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by TMKsouth: 3:34pm On Jun 01, 2020

Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by Vyzz: 3:35pm On Jun 01, 2020
grin

1 Like

Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by NwaNimo1(m): 3:36pm On Jun 01, 2020

17 Likes

Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by Enoch07: 3:36pm On Jun 01, 2020
black people and liquor!!! make una enjoy jare

1 Like

Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jun 01, 2020
South Africa is beautiful but nigerians don't care about what's happening there

1 Like

Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by Mozino007(m): 3:39pm On Jun 01, 2020
someone should help me with d pic of that american guy that looted drinks during protest��

2 Likes

Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by Karlifate: 3:39pm On Jun 01, 2020
OK.

2 Likes

Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by Xristars(m): 3:39pm On Jun 01, 2020
No wonder my southy Facebook friend carry henekien up. I was like wetin dey do this girl! Na Girl o.

1 Like

Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by TMKsouth: 3:40pm On Jun 01, 2020
TheGodlessGod:

Don't start again ooo... grin
Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by IronGalaxy: 3:43pm On Jun 01, 2020
TheGodlessGod:
speak for yourself oga cool

1 Like

Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by Bossontop(m): 3:43pm On Jun 01, 2020

11 Likes

Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by SarkinYarki: 3:44pm On Jun 01, 2020
South Africans have a Giant retail Chain dedicated to just liquor ..Between Nigerians and South Africans I wonder who consumes more Alcohol ..I think it's Nigeria sha
Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by YorubaKinging: 3:45pm On Jun 01, 2020
The generation of drunkards

Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them!

And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD, neither consider the operation of his hands.

Isaiah 5 vs 11-12

1 Like

Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by chinjo(m): 3:46pm On Jun 01, 2020
Enoch07:
How many alcohol does the blacks consume compared to what Russians and Irish consumes. Black man with low self exteem.

5 Likes

Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by SarkinYarki: 3:46pm On Jun 01, 2020
TheGodlessGod:

We care !!! We don't care what's happening in Daura though

1 Like

Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by Enoch07: 3:48pm On Jun 01, 2020
chinjo:

How many alcohol does the blacks consume compared to what Russians and Irish consumes. Black man with low self exteem.
black people and liquor!! by d way, try read d second paragraph

1 Like

Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by Lawdis(m): 3:55pm On Jun 01, 2020
Enoch07:

....see this ones comment, anyway wetin concerns me......but wait....o, you nor dey sip liquor..... grin

2 Likes

Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jun 01, 2020
When calamity and disaster comes upon them, hope they won't create hashtag to mock God who they disregard?

Southy for show indeed!
Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by TMKsouth: 4:01pm On Jun 01, 2020
IronGalaxy:
speak for yourself oga cool

He's trolling me from yesterday's varsity thread.
Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by illicit(m): 4:09pm On Jun 01, 2020
Shayo gud
Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by TMKsouth: 4:10pm On Jun 01, 2020
Enoch07:

black people and liquor!! by d way, try read d second paragraph

It says "one of the highest rates" - not THE highest. Anyway, SA has 5 million whites, how do u know they're not the ones binge drinking? You assume it's just the blacks.

1 Like

Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by TMKsouth: 4:14pm On Jun 01, 2020
chinjo:

Spot on.
Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by TMKsouth: 4:23pm On Jun 01, 2020
SarkinYarki:
South Africans have a Giant retail Chain dedicated to just liquor ..Between Nigerians and South Africans I wonder who consumes more Alcohol ..I think it's Nigeria sha

Isn't Nigeria too religious though? That's the assumption down here.
Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by SarkinYarki: 4:29pm On Jun 01, 2020
TMKsouth:

Hahahaha Nigerians are religious just for survival cheesy cheesy but trust me they drink a lot and smoke weed a lot
Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by oglalasioux(m): 5:38pm On Jun 01, 2020
Alcohol has it's benefits. Don't underestimate it's power.

1 Like

Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by TMKsouth: 5:42pm On Jun 01, 2020
SarkinYarki:

Hahahaha Nigerians are religious just for survival cheesy cheesy but trust me they drink a lot and smoke weed a lot

grin grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by Balogunodua(m): 5:52pm On Jun 01, 2020
TMKsouth:

Too religious ke!
Alcoho is our tradition here in Nigeria.
Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by TMKsouth: 6:04pm On Jun 01, 2020
Balogunodua:

Too religious ke!

Alcoho is our tradition here in Nigeria.

Lol grin Wouldn't have thought.
Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by morpheus24: 6:22pm On Jun 01, 2020
Bunch of Alcoholics if you ask me. A generational curse that is yet to be broke

Nigerians drink yes but do not covet alcohol Like SA's.

The jokes goes if you marry a South African and they have to choose between you and the Liquour. They will choose the liquor 99.9% of the time.

1 Like

Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by morpheus24: 6:23pm On Jun 01, 2020
TMKsouth:

It says "one of the highest rates" - not THE highest. Anyway, SA has 5 million whites, how do u know they're not the ones binge drinking? You assume it's just the blacks.

Its black and colored people that drink for survival. The Whites drink for pleasure.
Re: This Is Why ALCOHOL Is Trending In South Africa TODAY! (PHOTOS) by TMKsouth: 6:47pm On Jun 01, 2020
morpheus24:
Bunch of Alcoholics if you ask me. A generational curse that is yet to be broke

Nigerians drink yes but do not covet alcohol Like SA's.

Countries that banned alcohol during lockdown experience long queues. Here's India.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Haiti Requests The Status Of Associate Member Of The African Union / Russia’s Missile Attacks: Zelenski Hiding Inside An Underground Bunker (Bursted) / Photos : The First Man In The World To Give Birth Shows Off His Baby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.