Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,075 members, 7,818,217 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:36 AM

The C-section And Signing The Paper - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The C-section And Signing The Paper (310 Views)

Natural Birth Or C-Section For Twins? / Lady Accuses Hospitals Of Turning C-section To A Profit Making Venture / Pregnant Woman Dies After Her Pastor Told Her Not To Go For C-Section (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The C-section And Signing The Paper by nony43(m): 5:56pm On Jun 01, 2020
I am wondering women who are in emerging situations and need CS why don't they allow then sign for themselves?
What are the possible options open to women who find themselves such situations?
Another one, why do some people think that a woman who births via CS is a disgrace?
Re: The C-section And Signing The Paper by neloyah: 2:53pm On Jun 02, 2020
Most times they need someone to be held accountable for the surgical procedure to be carried out. The woman at the time, being due is considered not entirely stable to make her own decisions, so a trusted guardian is expected to sign. She could wake up one day and remember that the CS wasn't what she wanted actually, but she said so out of stress, and the hospital is sued for malpractice.

However, if the woman is rushed in, in extreme emergency, without a mode of contact, and NVD is deemed dangerous, then a CS is carried out in best interest of the patient.

For the second question; I think it's more of a mindset something. People generally fear going under the knife, some would host a 3 days party after a successful appendectomy. How much more a CS.

Some see it as a thing of shame because the 'rightful' way for a woman to deliver is through the vagina, so they assume the woman who was delivered by CS is incomplete. Forgetting that babies in the womb sometimes assume position that may kill their mother if NVD is carried out..

Gradually, that ideology is being wiped out, that I'm sure. You see women these days opt for CS even when their baby assumes a normal lie. It is becoming safer and people are getting to know it's not a death sentence.

In all, I stand to be calmly corrected..

4 Likes

Re: The C-section And Signing The Paper by ChelseaDr(m): 4:27pm On Jun 02, 2020
Neloya hit the nail on the head.

Every person being planned for any surgical procedure should ideally give their informed consent.

There are situations however, whereby a person's autonomy can be over ridden; an unconscious person, for instance who needed an urgent surgery which if not done may die, a person in severe distress and unable to give informed consent, a child (a minor), in such situations another person may sign the consent on their behalf.

People have aversion to surgery, others due to cultural or religious inclination or superstitious beliefs.

2 Likes

Re: The C-section And Signing The Paper by nony43(m): 9:04pm On Jun 02, 2020
neloyah:
Most times they need someone to be held accountable for the surgical procedure to be carried out. The woman at the time, being due is considered not entirely stable to make her own decisions, so a trusted guardian is expected to sign. She could wake up one day and remember that the CS wasn't what she wanted actually, but she said so out of stress, and the hospital is sued for malpractice.

However, if the woman is rushed in, in extreme emergency, without a mode of contact, and NVD is deemed dangerous, then a CS is carried out in best interest of the patient.

For the second question; I think it's more of a mindset something. People generally fear going under the knife, some would host a 3 days party after a successful appendectomy. How much more a CS.

Some see it as a thing of shame because the 'rightful' way for a woman to deliver is through the vagina, so they assume the woman who was delivered by CS is incomplete. Forgetting that babies in the womb sometimes assume position that may kill their mother if NVD is carried out..

Gradually, that ideology is being wiped out, that I'm sure. You see women these days opt for CS even when their baby assumes a normal lie. It is becoming safer and people are getting to know it's not a death sentence.

In all, I stand to be calmly corrected..

I love this piece

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Happened to Madagascar Coronavirus Cure? / Important Reasons You Need To Stop Eating Noodles Now / The Father Blood Could Not Match To The Sick Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.