Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,878 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:05 AM

Which Programming Language Can I Learn To Be Able To Make Facebook And Amazon - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Which Programming Language Can I Learn To Be Able To Make Facebook And Amazon (668 Views)

What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? / Which Programming Language Should A Beginner Start With? / Which Programming Language Can Be Use To Create A Social Media Platform? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Programming Language Can I Learn To Be Able To Make Facebook And Amazon by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jun 02, 2020
Hello please suggest a programming language i can learn so as to be able to make my own apps like facebook and aslo suggest any online class i can learn the programming language no matter the cost
Re: Which Programming Language Can I Learn To Be Able To Make Facebook And Amazon by ttobizz(m): 11:34pm On Jun 02, 2020
Start with swahili

1 Like

Re: Which Programming Language Can I Learn To Be Able To Make Facebook And Amazon by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:55am On Jun 03, 2020
Facebook and Amazon are web applications. Web applications are typically divided into the front end(client side) and the back end(server side).

Facebook front end is made with HTML, CSS and JavaScript. It uses a multitude of languages on its backend the most recent being the perl programming language. React a JavaScript Framework is also used on its front end.

If you want to build something like Facebook you have to learn HTML CSS and JavaScript pick up one of its frameworks like react, angular or Vue.

Once you are comfortable with your front end skills then you need to pick up a back end language. You could learn node js or python or C++ or perl. Then learn a database. I don't really know which one Facebook uses though.

You could make some research on Amazon.

3 Likes

Re: Which Programming Language Can I Learn To Be Able To Make Facebook And Amazon by Shepherdd(m): 12:55am On Jun 03, 2020
If you mean app like mobile then you have two/three options depending on the mobile platform. On android Kotlin is the winner here or you could also go with Java but google announced earlier that Kotlin is the way forward. On ios Swift is the winner.

I know some might include React Native or Flutter(Dart) based on the promise of cross platform development but when you are building enterprise rated apps like the facebook app, you will easily get handicapped by these two as they are not natively supported by either Android or Ios.

For Kotlin check freecodecamp youtube channel for kotlin android development course, and for android development Head first Android Development book is a good start for using Java. I don't really have much idea on swift but you could check freecodecamp swift course on youtube for a start.

If you mean app like web app, I will recommend JavaScript for a programming noob as it can be used for back end and front end purposes. Front end means what your users will see and here JavaScript is becoming the go-to due to the rise of frameworks like React, Angular and Vue.

If you go through the Frameworks path for your frontend, you won't need to write HTMl, but a solid knowledge of Html is still needed. To style what your users see CSS is the tool to be used here.

Back end means what controls what your users see and how they interact with your web app and JavaScript is also recommended here as you won't need to learn a new programming language. Express running on NodeJs is a formidable tool for back end as it powers some of today's popular website. Other languages for back end like Python's Django, Java's servlet provides similar capabilities to NodeJs Express but Google's golang comes out on top if you are worried about concurrency and stability of your web app. Honourable mentions include Rust, C++ (I think both are overkill for web dev) and the ageing php.

Happy Programming.

1 Like

Re: Which Programming Language Can I Learn To Be Able To Make Facebook And Amazon by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:29am On Jun 03, 2020
Shepherdd:
If you mean app like mobile then you have two/three options depending on the mobile platform. On android Kotlin is the winner here or you could also go with Java but google announced earlier that Kotlin is the way forward. On ios Swift is the winner.

I know some might include React Native or Flutter(Dart) based on the promise of cross platform development but when you are building enterprise rated apps like the facebook app, you will easily get handicapped by these two as they are not natively supported by either Android or Ios (even facebook the owner of react native uses it sparingly and for nothing serious).

For Kotlin check freecodecamp youtube channel for kotlin android development course, and for android development Head first Android Development book is a good start for using Java. I don't really have much idea on swift but you could check freecodecamp swift course on youtube for a start.

Happy Programming.
Facebook app is made with react native. Check GitHub.
Re: Which Programming Language Can I Learn To Be Able To Make Facebook And Amazon by Shepherdd(m): 1:51am On Jun 03, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Facebook app is made with react native. Check GitHub.

You are right. I was talking about their iOS messenger not using RN because of speed and size of RN.
Re: Which Programming Language Can I Learn To Be Able To Make Facebook And Amazon by Tim1212(m): 7:58am On Jun 03, 2020
Saneesk:
Hello please suggest a programming language i can learn so as to be able to make my own apps like facebook and aslo suggest any online class i can learn the programming language no matter the cost

Facebook and Amazon software engineer have high analytic and technical skills in solving critical problems.

I will recommend you develop your analytic skills by studying your basic algebra, then you can start with HTML5/CSS3, javascript and C++.

No company will release their source code, don't mind folks saying Facebook is built with this and that language.
Re: Which Programming Language Can I Learn To Be Able To Make Facebook And Amazon by Nobody: 8:40am On Jun 03, 2020
Checked Wikipedia. First version was made using php or so. Don't know it's closed source self.

1 Like

Re: Which Programming Language Can I Learn To Be Able To Make Facebook And Amazon by Tim1212(m): 8:59am On Jun 03, 2020
SegFault:
Checked Wikipedia. First version was made using php or so. Don't know it's closed source self.

Wikipedia will deceive you, don't rely on their information.
Facebook have high level of security, because of that, they will never release the programming language they use.
Re: Which Programming Language Can I Learn To Be Able To Make Facebook And Amazon by Shepherdd(m): 9:27am On Jun 03, 2020
Tim1212:

Facebook have high level of security, because of that, they will never release the programming language they use.

It's not about the programming language. Facebook core is written with PHP albeit a modified one. And I know this because their junior developers sometimes ask questions on stack overflow and will later reveal their identity. There was this one that asked a question about a code and people were like what kind of PHP is this. strange!! And they use many other programming languages too for different things like c++ for proxy server and chat server.

Having Facebook source code doesn't mean you can tommorow produce your own Facebook because it is so decoupled that you won't even know what does what or even have the capability to buy or rent the servers for your operation. There was this Amazon employee that made a claim of having Amazon's website source code circa 2015 and he couldn't do shit with it (He might not be lying cause many of their staff always say the same thing about less security).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Programming Language Can I Learn To Be Able To Make Facebook And Amazon by Tim1212(m): 10:13am On Jun 03, 2020
Shepherdd:

It's not about the programming language. Facebook core is written with PHP albeit a modified one. And I know this because their junior developers sometimes ask questions on stack overflow and will later reveal their identity. There was this one that asked a question about a code and people were like what kind of PHP is this. strange!! And they use many other programming languages too for different things like c++ for proxy server and chat server.

Having Facebook source code doesn't mean you can tommorow produce your own Facebook because it is so decoupled that you won't even know what does what or even have the capability to buy or rent the servers for your operation. There was this Amazon employee that claimed of having Amazon's website source code circa 2015 and he couldn't do shit with it (He might not be lying cause many of their staff always say the same thing about less security).

That's true bro, php applications runs on Facebook website, because it needs to communicate with database on a server; every programmer should know that.

It is easy to mention the technology you used for your website but can not release the source code.

Note: Not the one rendered by web browser..
Re: Which Programming Language Can I Learn To Be Able To Make Facebook And Amazon by Nobody: 10:13am On Jun 03, 2020
Tim1212:

Deceive what? It is the first version I am talking about, the first facebook. Wikipedia screens their information from time to time and even block accounts for wrong info.

1 Like

Re: Which Programming Language Can I Learn To Be Able To Make Facebook And Amazon by Tim1212(m): 10:18am On Jun 03, 2020
SegFault:

Deceive what? It is the first version I am talking about, the first facebook. Wikipedia screens their information from time to time and even block accounts for wrong info.

That's true bro

(1) (Reply)

Trump Says He Will Ban Tiktok, Microsoft Set To Buy It. / I Want To Learn Programming / 5 Top Benefits Of Using Flutter For Mobile App Development

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.