Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,471 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:09 AM

What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? (2903 Views)

What Programming Languages Do You Know? / What Programming Language Is Used In Creating Viruses? / What's Programming Lauguage Do You Think Is Best To Start With (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:00pm On Aug 08, 2020
I started learning to code in February with the goal of being a full stack developer. I am presently done with the front end track and started the back end track with learning PHP and I am applying for jobs alongside. I have had a few interviews and I really hate manual applications.

Would it be possible for me to write a script that will automatically apply to every software engineer position worldwide at the click of a button.

If it were possible what language can I use to achieve this since I just started learning PHP I can stop to really learn that language.

Cc taofeekedboy olalekank

1 Like

Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by squash47(m): 4:05pm On Aug 08, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
I started learning to code in February with the goal of being a full stack developer. I am presently done with the front end track and started the back end track with learning PHP.

If you really you have finished learning front end programming as u claim, you will not be asking this question.

This question explains that you still have a lot to learn. I will advice you to go back and start studying JavaScript deeper.

When you're done studying, this question will answer itself in ur mind.

You're hurrying too much. If some one tells you the programming language to use now, will you be able to execute the project ?

7 Likes

Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:11pm On Aug 08, 2020
squash47:

If you really you have finished learning front end programming as u claim, you will not be asking this question.

This question explains that you still have a lot to learn. I will advice you to go back and start studying JavaScript deeper.

You're hurrying too much. If some one tells you the programming language to use now, will you be able to execute the project ?
I am asking this because I don't know it all. My guess is python but I need to be really sure. Going back and studying JavaScript deeply. I have done JavaScript everyday since March and have around 7 full applications with firebase as my database.

2 Likes

Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by darkdenizen: 4:14pm On Aug 08, 2020
Yes it possible using php which you have started learning already.
What you are trying to achieve is task automation. In other words you are just trying to build a bot.
You are on track just Google cURL. It is a php library for web scraping, study the documentation, perform simple tasks then from there you can upscale to task automation.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:15pm On Aug 08, 2020
darkdenizen:
Yes it possible using php which you have started learning already.
What you are trying to achieve is task automation. In other words you are just trying to build a bot.
You are on track just Google cURL. It is a php library for web scraping, study the documentation, perform simple tasks then from there you can upscale to task automation.

Wow thank you. Then I will stick to learning PHP.

1 Like

Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by darkdenizen: 4:15pm On Aug 08, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
I started learning to code in February with the goal of being a full stack developer. I am presently done with the front end track and started the back end track with learning PHP and I am applying for jobs alongside. I have had a few interviews and I really hate manual applications.

Would it be possible for me to write a script that will automatically apply to every software engineer position worldwide at the click of a button.

If it were possible what language can I use to achieve this since I just started learning PHP I can stop to really learn that language.

I can assist you if you need further support
Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by GodWrites: 4:33pm On Aug 08, 2020
squash47:

You're too fast. Breath!

3 Likes

Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by Olalekank(m): 7:43pm On Aug 08, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Quite glad you’ve made good progress.
This looks really interesting.

It’s quite possible to do especially when the applications is via email. You can check out web scraping and try to extract the emails of the companies. Automatically send an email containing your resume alongside some cover letter. Check out remoteok, weworkremotely, etc

If the application has to be done on the website ie you fill in the information and the website handles your CV collection then it might be a little more difficult.

There’s also some people who have compiled lists of remote jobs in excel sheets (if you search well on Twitter, you should be able to find something). You can write a simple script to automatically shoot emails to these companies.

I’ve never given it a shot and I hope to see how you’re able to come up with a solution.

Good luck

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by Taofeekdboy(m): 9:04pm On Aug 08, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

That's good brother, good you are making progress.
Though I don't really know much about PHP but it can be done in python with beautifulsoup which is a web scraper tool, I haven't done something big related to web scraping but it is a good start and I believe you can do it also in PHP. I heard laravel is a good PHP framework and I will give it a try on my free time.
Cheers bro!!!!
Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:10pm On Aug 08, 2020
Taofeekdboy:
That's good brother, good you are making progress.
Though I don't really know much about PHP but it can be done in python with beautifulsoup which is a web scraper tool, I haven't done something big related to web scraping but it is a good start and I believe you can do it also in PHP. I heard laravel is a good PHP framework and I will give it a try on my free time.
Cheers bro!!!!
Thank God I just started I am going to give my time to learning python instead. Everyone is saying what I want to do can be achieved with python. It will make my life much easier men. Sending manual applications is tiring and we are meant to make our lives easier as programmers men.
Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by Taofeekdboy(m): 9:26pm On Aug 08, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Thank God I just started I am going to give my time to learning python instead. Everyone is saying what I want to do can be achieved with python. It will make my life much easier men. Sending manual applications is tiring and we are meant to make our lives easier as programmers men.
As to my knowledge, PHP is a language of the web and its strength lies in web development and Python, C#, Java and Javascript can be applied in other areas such as data science, enterprise applications, mobile development.
Python is easy to learn and straightforward forward but some programmers do say the indentation and white space is a big NO for them in Python but I really prefer Python to Java because Java is too verbose for me.
Only two problems in python which are:
Slowness, but I haven't encountered it before but it should because it is a runtime language which compile everything at runtime.
Execution problem, python is a dynamic typed language and as such you won't get any error if you make a mistake on indentation error until execution time when you might have written hundreds lines of code.
I still prefer Python with the disadvantages and it's web framework is awesome. Django is a nice and superb python framework. You can check it out if you want to learn Python.
Goodluck brother.
Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:30pm On Aug 08, 2020
Taofeekdboy:

As to my knowledge, PHP is a language of the web and its strength lies in web development and python, C#, Java and Javascript can be applied in other areas such as data science, enterprise applications, mobile development.
Python is easy to learn and straightforward forward but some programmers do say the indentation and white space is a big NO for them in python but I really prefer python to Java because Java is too verbose for me.
Only two problems in python which are:
Slowness, but I haven't encountered it before but it should because it is a runtime language which compile everything at runtime.
Execution problem, python is a dynamic typed language and as such you won't get any error if you make a mistake on indentation error until execution time when you might have written tons of code
I just need something to automate that job application process. I hate manually doing it. It's so unproductive. Imagine you start applying to jobs by 8 in the morning by 12 pm you never even do up to 5 companies and you still have to study and solve some data structures and algorithms on hackerrank. Before you know it the whole day is gone.
Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Aug 08, 2020
What if the applications requires sign us with forms and captchas and security bot checks lol

Project will work but lots of limits think of something else
Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:08pm On Aug 08, 2020
Bonatheripper:
What if the applications requires sign us with forms and captchas and security bot checks lol

Project will work but lots of limits think of something else
True though. I also asked on Reddit and people mentioned this. I think it can be modified to instead scrap the web for job posts that match what I know and are either remote or offer visa sponsorship put them all in one file and I apply to them manually.

3 Likes

Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by ICEWIN: 7:23am On Aug 18, 2020
Php alone wont do the task.
u need to source out data too manually.
e.g how would php single hand those company emails? It wont,it will only pave ways to link on how to get those company emails,u will b the one to pick d emails manually and make it run on php in auto.
tensazangetsu20:

Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by pulsa(m): 9:58pm On Aug 26, 2020
Check out loopcv, I know the founder and they are doing something like this, although they use machine learning though, python will work well for this, you just need to scrape sites at particular intervals and parse their response then you can send an email to all of the post that match a certain criteria using regex (e.g post that contain “Php” keywords).
Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by Roadyroadie: 3:11pm On Aug 27, 2020
What you want is impossible to implement due to a plethera of reasons;
-theres no single source of truth to get all available software positions in the world, so you would have to make your own database of websites that recruit which is definitely going tk be tedious keeping in mind that not all websites are indexed by google
-also if you can even get all these websites, applying to each of them will be very different process, now imagine doing that at scale.
There are so many reasons your idea isnt plausible, but you can checkout some web scraping frameworks, they can do some of what you need.
Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by Regex: 4:12pm On Aug 27, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Python is the language. You'd use regex (regular expressions) as it is my moniker to achieve this feat.
Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by dannyCodes: 3:29pm On Aug 28, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

if i say java, would u now jump to java?
Anything you can do in one language can be done many other languages only some easier than others.
If you are learning php stick with that else you would be jumping from one language to another.
As someone stated earlier, if you learn programming(the concepts) well enough, the language u use wont really be a barrier but a means to an end.

Also as stated u could try making a bot to scrape some pre-listed sites for job opportunities and add it to your cv, I'm sure that your interviewer would be interested to know that u used automation to apply. That'll be a big plus++

1 Like

Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by dannyCodes: 3:32pm On Aug 28, 2020
Almost all languages have a regex module/library so using python cause of only regex is not advisable, but if you are looking for simplicity and easy to learn curve then python is the way for you.
Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by Regex: 3:38pm On Aug 28, 2020
dannyCodes:
Almost all languages have a regex module/library so using python cause of only regex is not advisable, but if you are looking for simplicity and easy to learn curve then python is the way for you.

I was summoned.
Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by dannyCodes: 3:47pm On Aug 28, 2020
Regex:

I was summoned.
grin grin this ur moniker go de cause logical errors
Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by Regex: 8:09pm On Aug 28, 2020
dannyCodes:

grin grin this ur moniker go de cause logical errors

grin grin abi?
Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 10:12am On Aug 30, 2020
You can use any programming language with network capability: from c++, Java, Python, JavaScript or even erlang.
Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by bassdow: 10:57am On Aug 30, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

I am asking this because I don't know it all. My guess is python but I need to be really sure. Going back and studying JavaScript deeply. I have done JavaScript everyday since March and have around 7 full applications with firebase as my database.

Well if You already Know JavaScript like you claim, do you equally know When, Where and How to apply it ?

1 Like

Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by bassdow: 11:04am On Aug 30, 2020
This Thread Deserves An Award for being the Most...

If only Am a Nairaland Mod with Full Autonomy
Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:34am On Aug 30, 2020
bassdow:

Well if You already Know JavaScript like you claim, do you equally know When, Where and How to apply it ?

undecided
Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by yungevvy(m): 11:43am On Aug 08, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Your story is an inspiration boss. ...never knew you started this early, and to think you currently earn more than some old peeps in the game. Just curious, did you study CS?
Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:56am On Aug 08, 2022
yungevvy:

Your story is an inspiration boss. ...never knew you started this early, and to think you currently earn more than some old peeps in the game. Just curious, did you study CS?
Na I did marine engineering.
Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by yungevvy(m): 12:14pm On Aug 08, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Na I did marine engineering.

�Damn, that's a nice course,... what if you perchance see a high paying job related to your field, will you accept it?

..I'm a medical student by the way, just hoping to learn web dev during this break, and hopefully learn enough to get a remote job, to sustain myself in school.

My tech stack is HTML/CSS, JS/REACT, PHP/LARAVEL, & SQL, is it okay?
Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:18pm On Aug 08, 2022
yungevvy:

�Damn, that's a nice course,... what if you perchance see a high paying job related to your field, will you accept it?

..I'm a medical student by the way, just hoping to learn web dev during this break, and hopefully learn enough to get a remote job, to sustain myself in school.

My tech stack is HTML/CSS, JS/REACT, PHP/LARAVEL, & SQL, is it okay?

I won't. Any tech stack is okay. Ask DrLevi. He's like you too.
Re: What Programming Language Can I Use To Achieve This? by Xenegies27: 6:35pm On Aug 08, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

I won't. Any tech stack is okay. Ask DrLevi. He's like you too.

Sir please can this system specifications ok for programming?
Its a 4GB RAM 320GB HDD
INTEL COREI5 WITH THE SPEED OF 2.50GHZ laptop

(1) (2) (Reply)

Social Media Is Lying To Beginner Developers. / My School Project "Hospital Management System" Complete Version. / How To Get Mtn Double Data, Get 2gb For #500

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.