Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,326 members, 7,860,785 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 04:21 PM

Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? (1858 Views)

Fact Check: Did Queen Elizabeth II Throw Food To African Kids In Viral Video? / Will Democrats Apologize To Trump Over Russiagate? / Esther Passaris' Transparent Outfit: Refuses To Apologize "My Husband Bought It" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by Benbellamor: 8:44pm On Jun 03, 2020
Chief Williams Seriki Abass was one of the “Badagrians” employed by European Slave Dealers to act as Middlemen and Facilitators of the slave trades.

The compound of Chief Seriki Abass Williams Faremi is however typical and remarkable for its architecture. It is characterized by “Baracoons” with a number of slave cells. The baracoon of Chief Abass and some forty cells were where men and women were separately kept. Out of four such baracoons
Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by AfricaUnited: 8:45pm On Jun 03, 2020
DuwaRepublic:

AAs weren’t the only victims that’s offensive because some slaves remained in Africa, some got shipped to the Caribbean’s, some to Europe, and other to the Americas, stop spreading lies we won’t let it slide.

All slaves at that time are victims; however, the topic is about AA slaves given what is happening right now in America. Unlike AAs, Carribean blacks own their own countries now. Jamaica, etc are ruled by Blacks. So not quite the same as AAs. And yes, we also owe apology to descendants of slaves in Europe.
Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by AfricaUnited: 8:50pm On Jun 03, 2020
Benbellamor:

Chief Williams Seriki Abass was one of the “Badagrians” employed by European Slave Dealers to act as Middlemen and Facilitators of the slave trades.

The compound of Chief Seriki Abass Williams Faremi is however typical and remarkable for its architecture. It is characterized by “Baracoons” with a number of slave cells. The baracoon of Chief Abass and some forty cells were where men and women were separately kept. Out of four such baracoons

Interesting? Do you know if the man's family is still influential today?
Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jun 03, 2020
AfricaUnited:

All slaves at that time are victims; however, the topic is about AA slaves given what is happening right now in America. Unlike AAs, Carribean blacks own their own countries now. Jamaica, etc are ruled by Blacks. So not quite the same as AAs. And yes, we also owe apology to descendants of slaves in Europe.

Now your displaying your ignorance.

Have you read about CIA authorised coups in South America and Africa. Do you know that French colonised African countries still send all their money to the French treasury and still use the Franc currency, eventho France itself doesn’t even use that currency anymore. Even Nigeria is still a country that exists to serve the queens interests. So just because a country has a black face as her president doesn’t mean that person is truly running the country no, not when outside powers can decide to remove you if you no longer serve their interest.

No we don’t owe anyone an apology, what we all need is solidarity.

2 Likes

Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by dasparrow: 8:58pm On Jun 03, 2020
AAEEI:

BECAUSE you sold them to White people. Did you read the article at all?

Who is "you"?
No African that actively took part in the slave trade is alive today. Some African tribes took part in selling their fellow Africans to the whites and those tribes know themselves. Even within those tribes, it is the traditional leaders or rulers of those tribes that mostly engaged in the selling of their fellow Africans to the whites.

I am sick and tired of being accused of something that neither I nor my parents, grandparents, great grandparents or tribe took part of. What am I apologizing for when my hands are clean and guilt free?

The white Americans that have been maltreating, oppressing, lynching and killing these black Americans for ages, have black Americans demanded an apology from them? I guess they can't because they are scared of what white Americans will do to them should they demand for an apology from the whites. Instead, they prefer to pick on Africans instead.

What will an apology from Africans do for Black Americans? Will it stop white Americans in police uniform from unjustly killing them further? Will an apology from Africans correct institutionalized racism in America? Will it stop white Americans from being racists towards black people in America? Will an apology correct all the wrong white Americans have ever done to black Americans?

I think that those African tribes who took part in the selling of their fellow Africans to the whites back then should apologize to black Americans but those of us who come from tribes that did not actively partake in the selling of enslaved Africans should not have to apologize for something we did not do.

Ghana has been kind enough to allow black Americans who desire to move back to Africa to move to Ghana. So what else do black Americans want? Is it Africans that are lynching black Americans in the United States? Was it an African who killed George Floyd? Is it Africans that are giving long prison terms to black Americans for petty crimes black Americans committed?

Bottom line, I will NOT be apologizing for something I nor my ancestors did not do. Anybody who doesn't like it can locate the nearest transformer and hug it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jun 03, 2020
AfricaUnited:

It's not my video. It was in the OP's post. Does what you see there look like a joke to you?

Yeah an absolute joke and a terrible one at that.

1 Like

Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by AfricaUnited: 9:09pm On Jun 03, 2020
dasparrow:

I am sick and tired of being accused of something that neither I nor my parents, grandparents, great grandparents or tribe took part of. What am I apologizing for when my hands are clean and guilt free?

I think that those African tribes who took part in the selling of their fellow Africans to the whites back then should apologize to black Americans but those of us who come from tribes that did not actively partake in the selling of enslaved Africans should not have to apologize for something we did not do.

Ghana has been kind enough to allow black Americans who desire to move back to Africa to move to Ghana. So what else do black Americans want? Is it Africans that are lynching black Americans in the United States? Was it an African who killed George Floyd? Is it Africans that are giving long prison terms to black Americans for petty crimes black Americans committed?

Bottom line, I will NOT be apologizing for something I nor my ancestors did not do. Anybody who doesn't like it can locate the nearest transformer and hug it.

How did you know the bolded statements to be true?
Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by AfricaUnited: 9:13pm On Jun 03, 2020
DuwaRepublic:

Yeah an absolute joke and a terrible one at that.

Can you please explain how so to me, I am an olodo.
Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by dasparrow: 9:13pm On Jun 03, 2020
AfricaUnited:

So, let black Americans make demands for their own country then. But I bet you, they probably don't want that because if they did, they would have long time ago started petitioning their senators and representatives in Congress and gone out to protest till their demands are given consideration.

Again, neither I nor members of my tribe owe no one an apology. Those individuals who descended from African slave traders know themselves. Those tribes who actively participated in the trans-atlantic slave trade know themselves too. Let them go and apologize.

No one can make me or my family apologize for something we had no hand in. Okay?
Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by dasparrow: 9:14pm On Jun 03, 2020
madamgrace:
What for? If you are tired of being an American, kindly come back home. No place like home angry

Preach! cheesy
Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by dasparrow: 9:17pm On Jun 03, 2020
DuwaRepublic:

Exactly. Igbos weren’t the highest number of slaves from Africa please stop with the false narratives.

Also igbo priests used long juju arochukwu cave to trick their fellow kinsmen into being sold to slavery. So are people from other tribes supposed to apologies for the actions of a wicked Igbo priest, even tho they had nothing to do with such actions?

Precisely! Please help me ask.
Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by AfricaUnited: 9:23pm On Jun 03, 2020
dasparrow:

So, let black Americans make demands for their own country then. But I bet you, they probably don't want that because if they did, they would have long time ago started petitioning their senators and representatives in Congress and gone out to protest till their demands are given consideration.

Again, neither I nor members of my tribe owe no one an apology. Those individuals who descended from African slave traders know themselves. Those tribes who actively participated in the trans-atlantic slave trade know themselves too. Let them go and apologize.

No one can make me or my family apologize for something we had no hand in. Okay?

Please, what tribe are you from in Nigeria? That would help me situate your claim better. If you are sure of your claim, then you'd be very proud to state your tribe. Thank you
Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by AfricaUnited: 9:23pm On Jun 03, 2020
dasparrow:

Precisely! Please help me ask.
Who is still talking about Igbos here?
Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by dasparrow: 9:25pm On Jun 03, 2020
AfricaUnited:

I definitely think African Americans (AA) should be apologized to by Africans - we did them grave wrong. That may be why we are not progressing. However, I do not think that doing so by each ethnic group that was involved in slave trade is possible - too cumbersome. This is because we do not know exactly where all 40 million AAs originally come from in West Africa; of course, we know for some, mainly the celebrities. Also, we do not know which African ethnic groups did not involve in slave trade. For me, I think all West African ethnic groups were involved. So, the apology should be unified. ECOWAS should take the lead, travel to America and meet with African American leaders in all 50 states. This will be a 50-DAY trip, each day to one state.

All West African tribes did not participate in selling other Africans to the whites. That's a fallacy. The tribes that did know themselves. Let those tribes who did sell Africans to whites send their government leaders to go and apologize to black Americans. I agree black Americans deserve an apology but it should be from African tribes who actively participated in the selling of other Africans. Just saying....
Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by dasparrow: 9:28pm On Jun 03, 2020
DuwaRepublic:

I don’t owe anyone an apology, I never sold any slaves, neither did my people.

The people you should be seeking apologies from are the ones who brought the demand for slaves into our land in the first place, they gave us guns and encouraged more slave raids, instigating tribal wars that still goes on to this day, Africans are traumatised and disenfranchised, we are suffering more than the African Americans, due to the damage those people caused.

So our stories and plight are not that different, we all suffered from the Atlantic slave trade, so don’t act like only the AAs suffered. What we should do is console each and stand in solidarity with one another, not demand apologies, or blame-shifting.

My sentiments exactly! May you live long!

1 Like

Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by OreMI22: 9:30pm On Jun 03, 2020
On a second thought, No need for apologies because i didn't sell them. Apologies will more than complicate things as Africans in the USA have often cited malicious treatment by African Americans who insist that they were sold by all Africans. Who will take the responsibility of maltreating those poor African migrants?

BUT, grant African Americans citizenship to any African country of their choice so they can come home if they wish.

2 Likes

Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by AfricaUnited: 9:30pm On Jun 03, 2020
dasparrow:

All West African tribes did not participate in selling other Africans to the whites. That's a fallacy. The tribes that did know themselves. Let those tribes who did sell Africans to whites send their government leaders to go and apologize to black Americans. I agree black Americans deserve an apology but it should be from African tribes who actively participated in the selling of other Africans. Just saying....

Dude, what is your tribe? Tell us so we know whether yours did or not? What do you have to lose by telling us?
Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by AfricaUnited: 9:32pm On Jun 03, 2020
OreMI22:
Yes, Africans should apologize to African Americans AND grant them citizenship to any African country of their choice.

Ghana is already doing that. Nigeria should follow suit. It does not mean they will come and leave here permanently. But having a second passport will be good for them, just in case. Ghana is already showing remorse.
Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by OreMI22: 9:39pm On Jun 03, 2020
AfricaUnited:

Ghana is already doing that. Nigeria should follow suit. It does not mean they will come and leave here permanently. But having a second passport will be good for them, just in case. Ghana is already showing remorse.

Please don't use the word "remorse" I am African and i never sold you! Should i also feel remorse for Zambia and Zimbabwe that were colonized by the British, when i didn't paticipate in it? who has felt "remorse for the way and manner Africans have been treated -- including by African Americans?

Not to mention how many Africans have been shot by African Americans because you were told that Africans sold you.

Anyhow, i support assisting those who want to return to Africa. it is morally just not to treat them as aliens the way other countries treat foreign nationals.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by AfricaUnited: 9:42pm On Jun 03, 2020
OreMI22:

Please don't use the word "remorse"

I am African and i never sold you! Not to mention how many Africans have been shot by African Americans because you were told that Africans sold you.

Anyhow, i support assisting those who want to return to Africa. it is morally just not to treat them as aliens the way other countries treat foreign nationals.

So who sold ''me''? Funny that you see me as ''the other person''. You are talking to a confirmed Nigerian? Okay
Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by OreMI22: 9:50pm On Jun 03, 2020
AfricaUnited:

So who sold ''me''? Funny that you see me as ''the other person''. You are talking to a confirmed Nigerian? Okay

I said so because i know Nigerians that have died in America in the hands of African Americans. Truth is that not all African Americans are bad. They deserve to be given citizenship by African countries if they apply and are not criminals. But, their arguement of "deserving" citizenship because they were "sold" by Africans is ludicrous! It's even more insane that they see no crime committed by white people who actually enslaved and murdered them.

Ask me, how many African were slave raiders compared to the entire population of Africa? Perhaps less than 1%. Yet, they make it sound like the entire 100% of Africans sat down and decided to sell the people amongst them known as "African Americans" The whole arguement is totally insane. However, after their experience and the fact that many of them actually do prefer to come and live in Africa, we must accept them as our brothers and sister. Thus, we should waive the usual requirements for citizenship. Not just for African Americans, but all Africans in the diaspora. Which must include Haiti, Guayana, saint Lucia,Brazilians, Colombians and others. NOT JUST African Americans!

2 Likes

Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by Kazim88: 10:59pm On Jun 03, 2020
African Americans have this terrible entitlement and irresponsible mentality.

They keep looking for who to blame, it's their culture.

Most African Americans don't understand 1 bit of living in Africa or Nigeria, many of them think Africa is bush, wildlife country.

They failed to educate themselves, Drug dealing is normal in their slums...

African Americans must stop giving excuses and live their lives and realized that racism and police brutality in the US is nothing but child's play compare to that of any Africa country.

Perhaps, they should better relocate to Mars or Pluto where paraventure they would be no discrimination because if you come back to Nigeria and speak "Yo men, nigga"... Sars officers would shot you, nothing will happen... No Protest.

Lastly, about the apology request, if we start requesting apologize based on entitlement mentality... Even my parents would apologize to me for giving birth to me in Nigeria...
Every one that vote in Buhari will also apologize...
African Americans would also apologize for living in US and NOT sending us dollars, very disappointing... grin
Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by Kidakudz5: 12:11am On Jun 04, 2020
Who akata help?
Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by jumobi1(m): 12:24am On Jun 04, 2020
Blue3k:

I dont care if they were slave traders. It's not my fault and owe I nobody an apology. Everyone who was personally effected or took part is dead anyway. Why stop at an apology. Give them reparations for their pain an anguish. Lol you have slavery in the 21st century to fight on this continent go free them now.

When White people say this about reparations to African Americans, they come across as... let me be nice. I disagree with you brother.
Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by jumobi1(m): 12:25am On Jun 04, 2020
Kazim88:
African Americans have this terrible entitlement and irresponsible mentality.

They keep looking for who to blame, it's their culture.

Most African Americans don't understand 1 bit of living in Africa or Nigeria, many of them think Africa is bush, wildlife country.

They failed to educate themselves, Drug dealing is normal in their slums...

African Americans must stop giving excuses and live their lives and realized that racism and police brutality in the US is nothing but child's play compare to that of any Africa country.

Perhaps, they should better relocate to Mars or Pluto where paraventure they would be no discrimination because if you come back to Nigeria and speak "Yo men, nigga"... Sars officers would shot you, nothing will happen... No Protest.

Lastly, about the apology request, if we start requesting apologize based on entitlement mentality... Even my parents would apologize to me for giving birth to me in Nigeria...
Every one that vote in Buhari will also apologize...
African Americans would also apologize for living in US and NOT sending us dollars, very disappointing... grin

This is highly insensitive and ignorant. You’ve been brainwashed. I doubt you’ve spend considerable time in the US around African Americans.

1 Like

Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by Kazim88: 6:28am On Jun 04, 2020
jumobi1:

This is highly insensitive and ignorant. You’ve been brainwashed. I doubt you’ve spend considerable time in the US around African Americans.
The original post is super insensitive.

Infact, "we" sold you guys to the whites, yes, we.

As a matter of fact, you all should be grateful to "us" and show some appreciation, after all Joseph was sold out to Egypt and he became Prime Minister of same Egypt and he saved his father's house from famine.

Perhaps, if you were in Africa you would had been Killed by either FSARS, Fulani Herdsmen or Boko Haram and as usual nothing would happen.

In live you must be optimistic, look for the bright side not the negatives.... Your ancestors were brought to the US as slaves but today, you are a Freeman, with wide reaching opportunities.

If you feel you (and your ancestors) have been cheated, then all you can do for yourself is to forgive and forgo... Be a better person and move on. Bitterness and expecially pity or apologies expecially from the real Africans is dead on arrival, we are not that liberal.

Lastly, OP don't post this kind of illusionary demand next time, if this post get to front page it might cause Nairaland riot.

1 Like

Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by jumobi1(m): 6:32am On Jun 04, 2020
Kazim88:

The original post is super insensitive.

Infact, "we" sold you guys to the whites, yes, we.

As a matter of fact, you all should be grateful to "us" and show some appreciation, after all Joseph was sold out to Egypt and he became Prime Minister of same Egypt and he saved his father's house from famine.

Perhaps, if you were in Africa you would had been Killed by either FSARS, Fulani Herdsmen or Boko Haram and as usual nothing would happen.

In live you must be optimistic, look for the bright side not the negatives.... Your ancestors were brought to the US as slaves but today, you are a Freeman, with wide reaching opportunities.

If you feel you (and your ancestors) have been cheated, then all you can do for yourself is to forgive and forgo... Be a better person and move on. Bitterness and expecially pity or apologies expecially from the real Africans is dead on arrival, we are not that liberal.

Lastly, OP don't post this kind of illusionary demand next time, if this post get to front page it might cause Nairaland riot.

Umm I’m Nigerian sir.
Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by Kazim88: 6:35am On Jun 04, 2020
OreMI22:

I said so because i know Nigerians that have died in America in the hands of African Americans. Truth is that not all African Americans are bad. They deserve to be given citizenship by African countries if they apply and are not criminals. But, their arguement of "deserving" citizenship because they were "sold" by Africans is ludicrous! It's even more insane that they see no crime committed by white people who actually enslaved and murdered them.

Ask me, how many African were slave raiders compared to the entire population of Africa? Perhaps less than 1%. Yet, they make it sound like the entire 100% of Africans sat down and decided to sell the people amongst them known as "African Americans" The whole arguement is totally insane. However, after their experience and the fact that many of them actually do prefer to come and live in Africa, we must accept them as our brothers and sister. Thus, we should waive the usual requirements for citizenship. Not just for African Americans, but all Africans in the diaspora. Which must include Haiti, Guayana, saint Lucia,Brazilians, Colombians and others. NOT JUST African Americans!

Less than 1% oo (and they were mostly middle men)....
The actual truth is are we all victims. Because if my son was captured and sold, it's equivalent of selling me also. Imagine the agony mothers went through that period.

We should stop apportioning blames and look for an inclusive solution to the problem facing us now.
Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by Kazim88: 6:51am On Jun 04, 2020
jumobi1:

Umm I’m Nigerian sir.

You can't be a Nigerian, living in this our Nigeria.

Nigerians don't look for apologies and pity or those emotional gifts because we have been from time memorial oppressed and harassed by the white imperialist, our political leaders and we survived....

We survived Buhari... Govt is now broke out of waste but we are not.

We went through shutdown, without any palliative, we came out fine, unscathed.

America share $1,000 each, that is many University graduate yearly salary in Nigeria...

An average Nigerian have a thick skin, happy, short memory... He would not go around looking for sympathy for what happened 200 years ago no wonder people like Buhari can rule Nigeria twice.

So, you, the OP, those giving the op pity party are definitely not Nigerians.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by osamz007: 7:12am On Jun 04, 2020
Abeg! Apologize for what? If America tire you leave
Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by jumobi1(m): 7:23am On Jun 04, 2020
Kazim88:

You can't be a Nigerian, living in this our Nigeria.

Nigerians don't look for apologies and pity or those emotional gifts because we have been from time memorial oppressed and harassed by the white imperialist, our political leaders and we survived....

We survived Buhari... Govt is now broke out of waste but we are not.

We went through shutdown, without any palliative, we came out fine, unscathed.

America share $1,000 each, that is many University graduate yearly salary in Nigeria...

An average Nigerian have a thick skin, happy, short memory... He would not go around looking for sympathy for what happened 200 years ago no wonder people like Buhari can rule Nigeria twice.

So, you, the OP, those giving the op pity party are definitely not Nigerians.

Oya Come and confiscate my passport Mr. Quintessential Nigerian. Your close mindedness is part of Nigeria’s problems.
Re: Should Africans Apologize to African Americans? by Kazim88: 9:16am On Jun 04, 2020
jumobi1:

Oya Come and confiscate my passport Mr. Quintessential Nigerian. Your close mindedness is part of Nigeria’s problems.

Ok Mr. Open minded, please I pray thee, tell me the benefit of this apology to African American...

Just to massage their bruised ego or because they are the worst hit in this life of mystery.

Please, tell me the economical or social value of this pity party to AAs and Africans.

SouthEast fought a gruesome war, 3 million died of starvation and war crime... Years later, after losing everything they bounced back without apology or seeking apology...

The are the only tribe that are currently in every single state in Nigeria, even in Borno and Zamfara doing averagely well.

If they were waiting for apology and compasation from Nigeria, Britain and France, they would have been wiped out by the post civil war discrimination.

Note: No major player of that war have openly apologize rather they have been taking turn to run down the country with coups, counter coups and election rigging.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NEW: Kenyan Kidnappers Blow Themselves Up (pics) / Biden Campaign Threatens To ‘escort Trump Out Of White House’ If He Refuses To.. / Rwandan Government Demolishing Churches & Mosques Replacing Them With Factories

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.